ADVERTISEMENT

Official Cincinnati game thread

We should have won this game going away. I hate close games on the road.

Whew, all right. This really makes that WSU game big. We could have been 4-0 in conference.

Rachal saved it for Frank !! Idowu was co player of game and Joiner some great rebounds and passes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Original TULSAFAN
Rachal-- all world...... Idowu the same. Great back door cuts which we did none in first three games. Great rebounding by the guards. Only concerns were the missed rebounds on their free throws which cost 5 points and the two early plays by Ugboh which cost us 5 points. Goal tending a missed shot and failing to block a 6'2" player's shot which led to three. Without those two problems we win by ten. And I guess you have to mention stepping on the baseline when two players have an easy rebound. But take the "W" , we don't get them there often!

Last edited:
Glad we pulled out the win. I’d like to see us work on controlling the ball better. We had way too many turnovers today, especially in the first half. Overall, anytime you can get a road win in this conference you should be celebrating

Rachal went 25 and 13 with 3 assists and 3 blocks, that’s a heck of a game. Idowu with 16 and 4 is no slouch. Even though Memphis and Cincinnati aren’t good any road win is a good win in conference play and we now have two.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and Gold*
The key to his season is staying healthy. He was a different player the second half of the conference season after he came back last year. Playing him in the post doesn’t exactly bode well for that. Then again, when your alternative is Ugboh, what are you going to do?

When our guards are our best rebounders, it doesn't hurt to go small to rest Idowu a few minutes. Haith obviously feels Earley, Ugboh, Shumate, and Alcime are not ready for crunch time inside.

When our guards are our best rebounders, it doesn't hurt to go small to rest Idowu a few minutes. Haith obviously feels Earley, Ugboh, Shumate, and Alcime are not ready for crunch time inside.
Would think Haith has already approached Earley and said "go in there and BOARD like your life depends on getting the rebound."

But... perhaps I'm wrong. Would be odd. But, perhaps I'm wrong OR Early just doesn't have the fire. Rebounding is 90% effort.

When our guards are our best rebounders, it doesn't hurt to go small to rest Idowu
a few minutes. Haith obviously feels Earley, Ugboh, Shumate, and Alcime are not
ready for crunch time inside.
I wonder about Earley though....He hasn't made even a cameo appearence the last
two games.....I hope it is not reinjury, but just stage of development....He has time...
Because of Covid, he is still a freshman, or said another way, will replay his Soph.
year again next season......

Had we been able to play our complete pre-conference schedule, I think we might
have been seeing some of Shumate, and maybe even a little of Urbancic.....This has
beena strange season for most freshmen.....

Last edited:
I wonder about Earley though....He hasn't made even a cameo appearence the last
two games.....I hope it is not reinjury, but just stage of development....He has time...
Because of Covid, he is still a freshman, or said another way, will replay his Soph.
year again next season......

Had we been able to play our complete pre-conference schedule, I think we might
have seen some of Shumate, and maybe even a little of Urbancic.....This has been
a strange season for most freshmen.....
What was Earley's injury? And did I hear during one of the games he made an appearance that they inserted a rod into his leg?

I am going to ride the Shumate train. I want to see him in defensively at the end of tight games simply because he can protect the rim and grab a rebound. If you make subs for offense and defense in those situations, he can hold his own. Hell, if play continues he might even go up and grab an offensive board. He's got elite athleticism in his bones. He might not be a polished basketball player but you can teach that part. You can't teach a kid how to jump out of a building.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
I am going to ride the Shumate train. He might not be a polished basketball player
but you can teach that part. You can't teach a kid how to jump out of a building.
YES..
He made a block (I think it was in the first SW game) that I haven't seen in a long
time....He blocked a medium range jumper when he was 4-6 feet away from the
shooter, and I couldn't believe how high he was.....Jumping is one thing....Timing
your jump like that is something else..

You're right about him not being a finished player, but he seems to have really good
intuits about the game....His senior year with Williams and Co. was apparently his
only year of really competitive HS basketball.....He has a lot of room to grow...His
rebounding and blocked shots stats were off the charts......

Last edited:
Earley has made a few appearances but from what I saw he was tentative.......don't know if the injury and surgery caused that tentativeness or just being away so long did. He is still leaning and reaching causing fouls. I have not seen the explosive rebounding that I saw in practices a year ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT