ADVERTISEMENT

Official Armed Forces Bowl Prediction Thread

Henry Kendall

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
This team has shown real grit. Huge congrats to all of them. Really the feel-good story of the year in college football. A lunch bucket team. Janet, are you paying attention?

This team finds a way to win. In the fourth quarter. Huge opportunity to defeat an SEC team, better visually than a beatdown on a SunMacSouthSummit team.

The Fighting Monty’s: 27
Annoying Cowbells: 24

Bonus Kendall Prediction: Zaven gets more broadcast time than the HC.

This team was special, in part because they won all the games they were expected to win.

They are expected to win this one, but it won’t be easy. It will be close.

MSU only won three games, but they got better during the season as key true freshman matured and gelled. Watch out for their freshman WR, I think his name is Whaley. He can ball.

It will be close with Monty playing to keep it close and Leach trying to provoke a shootout with vertical plays. If we turn it over or play without an aggressive mindset, this could get out of hand quick though.

University of Will Rogers 33
A QB named Will Rogers 31

MSU is much better than their record. Only Alabama and Kentucky beat them by more than 14. They played UGA to within 7 and A&M to 14. Unlike typical Leach teams this team didn’t give up 50 points a game.

TU better be ready and the secondary will need a couple interceptions. First prediction of the year - TU 24 - MSU 23

80% chance of rain with accumulation of one inch through the day. I hope TK is healthy.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
a low scoring game. 17-14
key is no turnovers and to avoid MSU explosive plays
Zaven's loss hurts and I was surprised the line didn't move
That suggests bettors don't know what will happen

MSU has thrown the ball 50+ times in six games this year. Rushing game has been terrible.

If they run effectively on our D they will be tough to beat.

Tulsa 1
M St 0

GO TU!!!

What is it with us and precip games this year? Christ.
No problem. We will be ready and conditioned and know what works. Trouble is, they will have tape of that too. Meanwhile we have doodly to predict how this version of the Leach offense will behave in a driving freezing rain storm.

No problem. We will be ready and conditioned and know what works. Trouble is, they will have tape of that too. Meanwhile we have doodly to predict how this version of the Leach offense will behave in a driving freezing rain storm.
Well, we know what doesn’t work in the rain.... Smith’s hand throwing the ball lol.

Well, we know what doesn’t work in the rain.... Smith’s hand throwing the ball lol.

Yeah I assume Smith must have tiny carney hands or something. Never seen anyone struggle with rain like him. If there were a crowd some fans would be getting souvenir errant Zach Smith game balls thrown their way on Thursday.

Hope the defense is ready to play

Yeah I assume Smith must have tiny carney hands or something. Never seen anyone struggle with rain like him. If there were a crowd some fans would be getting souvenir errant Zach Smith game balls thrown their way.
Looks like Peyton Manning Circa Colts 2008 when he’s dry but like Peyton Manning circa his last season when his hands are wet.

They used to give Jim Zorn the business about his small hands. Then he retired, became a coach, and was one of the dudes that changed the rule and hand size is actually measured at the combine now. Trouble is, the guy with the biggest hands ever, Goff fumbles more than everyone. Small hands guys like Henne and Tannehill rarely fumble. Hand size might play a role in colder climates where the ball is less elastic in the frigid air. You gotta have big hands to grip the rock I would think. Not so much in Tampa where you can squeeze it. But it’s a good example of how NFL people obsess over mundane stuff with no data to support it.

They used to give Jim Zorn the business about his small hands. Then he retired, became a coach, and was one of the dudes that changed the rule and hand size is actually measured at the combine now. Trouble is, the guy with the biggest hands ever, Goff fumbles more than everyone. Small hands guys like Henne and Tannehill rarely fumble. Hand size might play a role in colder climates where the ball is less elastic in the frigid air. You gotta have big hands to grip the rock I would think. Not so much in Tampa where you can squeeze it. But it’s a good example of how NFL people obsess over mundane stuff with no data to support it.
So you are saying size doesn’t matter? Asking for a friend.

Meanwhile, back to predictions...

TU 24
MSU 21

MSU is much better than their record. Only Alabama and Kentucky beat them by more than 14. They played UGA to within 7 and A&M to 14. Unlike typical Leach teams this team didn’t give up 50 points a game.

TU better be ready and the secondary will need a couple interceptions. First prediction of the year - TU 24 - MSU 23

Well then this will give America a chance to see how we would match up in the SEC and possibly a preview of the Peach bowl

TU - 35
MS State-23

With Brin coming the second half

TU - 55
MS State-23

Passing game will sputter thanks to Smith and we will resort to constant runs up the middle. Miss State will then stack the box resulting in many three and outs for TU. Defense will then get tired and Miss State will get thier points. Monty will make no adjustments and TU loses. I hope I am wrong.....
Miss State 24
Tulsa 20

• Sad
Reactions: bluegold70
Passing game will sputter thanks to Smith and we will resort to constant runs up the middle. Miss State will then stack the box resulting in many three and outs for TU. Defense will then get tired and Miss State will get thier points. Monty will make no adjustments and TU loses. I hope I am wrong.....
Miss State 24
Tulsa 20
We will definitely get a feel real quick on how strong the defense was/is as a unit and whether accounting for Zaven let us get away with stuff and freed up others to get aggressive.

Im told reliably that it isn’t the size of the Poke, it’s the rotation of the Hurricane.
All pokes have small mr peter pan and none of em can get any rotation of the hurricane. If they could, they'd rotate that hurricane right out of stillwater.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We will definitely get a feel real quick on how strong the defense was/is as a unit and whether accounting for Zaven let us get away with stuff and freed up others to get aggressive.

He definitely did let us get away with stuff, like playing man coverage and having no problem with a LB at corner, and we were noticeably better with him on the field. But our defense is legit all over. Our weakest cover guy was a semi-finalist for the Thorpe award. Doesn’t mean MSU won’t put up points though.

Last edited:
I think we'll be fine without Zaven honestly. Defense held Cincy to what, 3 points when zaven went out. Maybe 10. Dont remember when exactly he came out. Hes a phenomenal player, but I've never been worried about who's backing him up either.

Revels and Kulkin were 2a and 2b. Now listed as Revels 1 and Kulkin 2 at the Will LB spot.
I think we're pretty good at the will, even without Collins. Both of those players are pretty durned decent players. If Kulkin doesn't have a scholly, he should get one next year. He deserves it.

Just checked the latest weather forecast, 39 degrees & a 100% chance of rain every hour of the game. That should affect Mississippi State passing as much as ours. This will most likely be a game decided by rushing, defense & especially turnovers. I’d really prefer Brin, just for his running ability alone.
I’ll now put on my blue & gold glasses:

Tulsa 24 MSU 16

Reactions: quincy101
I come out of quarantine tomorrow after having covid and nothing better than to returning to life than watching some TU football!!
TU 31
Mississippi State 24

True Blue who knew voodoo - 35
Team with fans who think they are superior athletes because they root for a team in the SEC but in reality can't hit the broadside of the barn even when put right in front of it and given multiple times to try so you take off your shoe and hit in the nose because they are a bad boy and its the only way they know respect because they are used to getting pissed on by their conference mates so have a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on and they do not even realize it.......oh yeah... - 17

Just checked the latest weather forecast, 39 degrees & a 100% chance of rain every hour of the game. That should affect Mississippi State passing as much as ours. This will most likely be a game decided by rushing, defense & especially turnovers. I’d really prefer Brin, just for his running ability alone.
I’ll now put on my blue & gold glasses:

Tulsa 24 MSU 16
With this weather report, I'm feeling better about our chances. Forget Monty's 50/50 run-pass playbook. With any success running it (or not), MSU's D-line will get a heavy dose of Taylor, TK & Prince. This will hopefully keep Leach's passing attack mostly off the field. And, when they throw it, rain won't help their completion ratio, not to mention our solid back end. By the 4th Q, we'll have worn these guys out, particularly if we need another come from behind...............well, you know. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT