ADVERTISEMENT

No home OSU or OU FB game at same time as Tulsa except one.

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
Don't know if this was intended or just plain luck. On November 23, Tulsa hosts Houston and Oklahoa U hosts TCU. Other than that one game, no OU or OSU home game competes with a Tulsa home game.

Tulsa hosts UCF Friday, November 8th and Oklahoma U hosts TCU Saturday, November 9th.

So Tulsa will play 6 home games, none of which conflict with OSU home game. OU will play 6 home games and only one, TCU November 23, will conflict wth Tulsa.

That is an amazing coincidence. What about a conflict with OU-UT. That usually involves the time of our kickoff.

The Friday game conflicts with every high school game in the area, which has a bigger affect on attendance than anyone here cares to admit.

I know we don’t get much say in the matter, but someone needs to toughen up and tell the league that fall beak weekend is the only Friday that we can host a game.

The Friday game conflicts with every high school game in the area, which has a bigger affect on attendance than anyone here cares to admit.

I know we don’t get much say in the matter, but someone needs to toughen up and tell the league that fall beak weekend is the only Friday that we can host a game.
I doubt the league has much say in it. I'm thinking espn is the one you'd have to convince. The argument that we were more special than the rest of the league, who has Friday games too, wouldn't hold much sway.

I doubt the league has much say in it. I'm thinking espn is the one you'd have to convince. The argument that we were more special than the rest of the league, who has Friday games too, wouldn't hold much sway.

We’ve had a Friday home game for 6 straight seasons. I doubt the rest of the league is doing it every year.

We’ve had a Friday home game for 6 straight seasons. I doubt the rest of the league is doing it every year.
No the rest of the league isn't doing it every year, 8 teams have Friday games this year and they aren't all conference games. The other four have Thursday games.(Not to mention a smattering of Sunday games.)

Regardless, it isn't the conference that is dictating those games, it is espn. And I don't think they care one way or the other about a home game being on a Friday for any team. As long as they get a game on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday nearly every weekend then espn couldn't give a flying f. That's what the conference signed on the dotted line for, whatever espn wants as far as what night it is.

If we've got the bad draw on Friday night game for six years in a row, it's either bad luck or espn not caring that it worked out best to put us on six Fridays instead of 4 Fridays and 2 Thursdays for instance. Temple, ECU, Tulane, and SMU got Thursdays this year. It ain't like all the good teams don't have a Friday game.

Probably not a good idea to piss off ESPN, the entity that decides where we bowl now unless we win out, as well as probably the entity that saved the program altogether. Without $7 mill guaranteed, I doubt football survived two more years in the present climate. You know it’s true.

We should be volunteering to take whatever spots they want whenever they want them, and as I said in previous threads, finishing up the infrastructure improvements to the stadium to make broadcasting as easy and cost free as possible that we skimped on due to the construction timetable and architecture continuity concerns back during the remodel. Some of that stuff, such as camera station improvements and permanent cable installation that they just hook up to can be installed fairly cheaply. Things like enhanced catering on more than just game day more also have a negligible cost. Having admissions and financial aid folks mingling with the crew during preproduction to talk with them about how “affordable” it is for their kids to attend TU wouldn’t be a bad idea either. There could be a day coming when our conference “friends” want more money and are willing to Brutus us to get it. You want the people on the other side of the table as happy and invested in TU as possible. The last thing you want is an atmosphere where we are viewed as having an entitlement mindset despite being under the average in what we contribute in viewership.

Probably not a good idea to piss off ESPN, the entity that decides where we bowl now unless we win out, as well as probably the entity that saved the program altogether. Without $7 mill guaranteed, I doubt football survived two more years in the present climate. You know it’s true.

We should be volunteering to take whatever spots they want whenever they want them, and as I said in previous threads, finishing up the infrastructure improvements to the stadium to make broadcasting as easy and cost free as possible that we skimped on due to the construction timetable and architecture continuity concerns back during the remodel. Some of that stuff, such as camera station improvements and permanent cable installation that they just hook up to can be installed fairly cheaply. Things like enhanced catering on more than just game day more also have a negligible cost. Having admissions and financial aid folks mingling with the crew during preproduction to talk with them about how “affordable” it is for their kids to attend TU wouldn’t be a bad idea either. There could be a day coming when our conference “friends” want more money and are willing to Brutus us to get it. You want the people on the other side of the table as happy and invested in TU as possible. The last thing you want is an atmosphere where we are viewed as having an entitlement mindset despite being under the average in what we contribute in viewership.

Tulsa had 3 of the top 8 TV viewership AAC games in 2018, and there can be no doubt playing the one Thursday and two Friday games played a huge part in getting these very good TV numbers. Tulsa, the last school to be invited to AAC (because Boise State went for $1.8M cash grab) has to do things to boost the conference. And these large TV viewerships on Thursday and Friday nights boost Tulsa also. Boise State fans claim playing Thursday and Friday night games help boost their football program.

I think the Thur/Fri telecasts are also a good recruiting tool

Tulsa had 3 of the top 8 TV viewership AAC games in 2018, and there can be no doubt playing the one Thursday and two Friday games played a huge part in getting these very good TV numbers. Tulsa, the last school to be invited to AAC (because Boise State went for $1.8M cash grab) has to do things to boost the conference. And these large TV viewerships on Thursday and Friday nights boost Tulsa also. Boise State fans claim playing Thursday and Friday night games help boost their football program.

I think the Thur/Fri telecasts are also a good recruiting tool
That was true until they got really popular. At that point, their city leaders got greedy and saw that the weekday games were hurting the local merchant boosters and their hotel occupancy tax receipts were lower. So there is a lot of pressure to avoid those games from boosters and the locals in Boise now. I’m pretty tight with one of their bull boosters

. Even the cops don’t like it in the small towns because it means some officers are working doubles after their regular weekday afternoon shift.

In my case, it cost my bar approximately $25K in gross receipts every time there was a weekday game in the small southern college town where it was located. You play the game on Thursday and guys like me lose all the hotel, food and beverage business you normally get on a Friday before the game. This has a multimillion dollar impact on small college towns. I know restaurant owners that went under because of two Thursday games and two noon Saturday kickoffs one season. It’s like taking Black Friday away from retailers. That school fights tooth and nail with ESPN to avoid those games for these reasons and more that have little to do with who buys a ticket or which high school gets pissed off because their gate is down because State U is on TV.

TU doesn’t really have any of these problems, needs the exposure and once upon a time had a brand of football people wanted to watch back East, even if they had a negative opinion of G5 football or the State of Oklahoma. The guys out there sacrificing their bodies for a general studies degree want to be on national TV. They like having Saturday nights free occasionally to go out with their friends like a normal college student. Their girlfriends appreciate a Saturday date once in awhile. If you don’t think that’s important to on field performance, you’ve never been inside the head of a college athlete.

It’s a pain in the ass for some of us, and I don’t like sitting up until midnight on a work night, but the positives to playing these games far out weighs the negatives. The only downside that can’t be denied is the loss of practice days and that can be managed with a bye week before hand.

TU should be courting these games, winning them by means other than throwing 7 passes a game, then tweeting every recruit asking them if they were watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: eastcane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT