ADVERTISEMENT

New KenPom time

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Projected record: 11-19 (4-14)

AAC ranked 9th best conference between WCC and A10. Memphis (32) and FAU (37) the only teams in the top 75. UTSA (238) and Tulsa (272) the only teams below 200.

Nowhere to go but up!

AAC ranked 9th best conference between WCC and A10. Memphis (32) and FAU (37) the only teams in the top 75. UTSA (238) and Tulsa (272) the only teams below 200.

Nowhere to go but up!
11 is better than 5. That is a step in the right direction. We are doing thangs baby!

We should be able to pull out more than 4 conference wins. With our weak schedule in non conf we should be able to do a little better than 7-5 as well. I expect it will be closer to 13 or 14 wins minimum.

Nowhere to go but up!
Final Four team with everyone back at (37)? I've seen teams regress, but maybe not this much.

Ken Pom is more optimistic than Halselmetrics who has us at 6-24 this year. I hope Ken Pom is a few wins short in their prediction. None of these predictors can tell what 10-12 new players will do for any team.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I wonder if what the equivalent predictions for Tulsa in 1980-1981 season must have been? Nolan brought in 9 new scholarship players that year, and only one player returning, Bob Stevenson, was any good.

No, not predicting 26-7 and NIT Championship, but it's just one of countless examples of how preseason predictions are worthless. Just something to talk about.

You have to love that year's out of conference schedule. No out of state games, two home games against final 4 teams, including the national champions, from the previous year. And playing Dominique Wilkins' Georgia team at ORU. That was the only non-conference loss, a two-pointer.

I wonder if what the equivalent predictions for Tulsa in 1980-1981 season must have been? Nolan brought in 9 new scholarship players that year, and only one player returning, Bob Stevenson, was any good.

No, not predicting 26-7 and NIT Championship, but it's just one of countless examples of how preseason predictions are worthless. Just something to talk about.

You have to love that year's out of conference schedule. No out of state games, two home games against final 4 teams, including the national champions, from the previous year. And playing Dominique Wilkins' Georgia team at ORU. That was the only non-conference loss, a two-pointer.
Wonder who got Louisville and Purdue to play at Tulsa ? Doubt Stoglin got that done. Maybe Turner, the AD? Now they won’t return our calls.

I'll bet Jim King got the games scheduled. Just a guess. Louisville was a not too far removed from being an MVC opponent. I figure both teams scheduled the game because they aren't that far away from Tulsa, comparatively speaking, as some non-conference opponents would be. That combined with thinking winning at Tulsa would be an easy road win, are reasons for them scheduling home and home games. Tulsa had 5 consecutive losing season before Nolan, with 4 of of those being single digit win years. Purdue and Louisville beat TU by 34 and 20 points, respectively, in 1980.

No way they saw Tulsa's Nolan instant turnaround coming. The impact of that Louisville win can't be overestimated. Tulsa went form complete apathy to hysteria in an instant. The atmosphere for that Louisville game was wild.

Nowhere to go but up!
I’m not a gambler, but if I could actually find anyone willing to put up $ on that prediction, I’d take the over.

I'll bet Jim King got the games scheduled. Just a guess. Louisville was a not too far removed from being an MVC opponent. I figure both teams scheduled the game because they aren't that far away from Tulsa, comparatively speaking, as some non-conference opponents would be. That combined with thinking winning at Tulsa would be an easy road win, are reasons for them scheduling home and home games. Tulsa had 5 consecutive losing season before Nolan, with 4 of of those being single digit win years. Purdue and Louisville beat TU by 34 and 20 points, respectively, in 1980.

No way they saw Tulsa's Nolan instant turnaround coming. The impact of that Louisville win can't be overestimated. Tulsa went form complete apathy to hysteria in an instant. The atmosphere for that Louisville game was wild.
The TU - Louisville game of 1980 started an era of unprecedented excitement with TU basketball which maybe only the Elite Eight team of 2000 might have matched.

Way more than that
I want to be wrong. I’m just going into the season with really low expectations after last season. I know it’s an entirely different team and I won’t be a negative Nancy during the season like some on here but leading up I am until I see otherwise.

I have high hopes last year was an aberration

I want to be wrong. I’m just going into the season with really low expectations after last season. I know it’s an entirely different team and I won’t be a negative Nancy during the season like some on here but leading up I am until I see otherwise.

I have high hopes last year was an aberration
Hey buddy! There’s only room enough for one Negative Nancy on this forum!

As the kids these days say…. “You’re not him”

Way more than that

Coach Wilson first year predictions​

I've got 8-4

Nobody has a solid clue, with 11 new players that have very little solid playing time at their former abodes. His prediction has just as much merit as many other predictions. I think we'll win at a minimum 12-14 game becuz we have a solid experienced PG and play an easier schedule. But I don't know that for sure. We could finish with 8 wins or 20+.

Coach Wilson first year predictions​

Nobody has a solid clue, with 11 new players that have very little solid playing time at their former abodes. His prediction has just as much merit as many other predictions. I think we'll win at a minimum 12-14 game becuz we have a solid experienced PG and play an easier schedule. But I don't know that for sure. We could finish with 8 wins or 20+.
Look I think the 11-19 is a decent prediction before the season starts without knowing what the team can do and if they can gel. Obviously if they are playing above par then the numbers can change one way or the other. We have a soft (on paper) OOC schedule. The American is not a pushover conference even the additions, most are not pushovers. We will see.

Look I think the 11-19 is a decent prediction before the season starts without knowing what the team can do and if they can gel. Obviously if they are playing above par then the numbers can change one way or the other. We have a soft (on paper) OOC schedule. The American is not a pushover conference even the additions, most are not pushovers. We will see.
This prediction is basically based 100% off last year. It truly makes no sense and if end up 11-19 then we should ALL be very upset.

Reactions: el duran
I just hope we get better and gel this year.
We distressed significantly from our first games to mid season then more as the season went along.
If we go that and get 15 wins, I’ll be very happy. If we end up playing for a possible NIT bid, I’ll be thrilled!

Reactions: Henry Kendall
By my cursory glance, we have 12 OOC games. By all rights we should win 7 or 8 of these. 11-19 would mean we would only win 3 or 4 conference games. Feels low.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
With the roster turnover of this team, making a prediction is like predicting how the Phoenix Suns are going to do this season, by basing it on the play of the Detroit Pistons last season, since Monty Williams was the coach at both.

Does that make sense?

Nowhere to go but up!
11 wins is basically just regression to the mean. Very bad AAC teams usually win 10 - 12 games. Only colossally bad AAC teams win fewer than 10, usually one AAC team per year comes in under 10. So this is saying we probably won't be colossally, historically, bad again. I'd like to think we can hit a little higher than that but who knows.

11 wins is basically just regression to the mean. Very bad AAC teams usually win 10 - 12 games. Only colossally bad AAC teams win fewer than 10, usually one AAC team per year comes in under 10. So this is saying we probably won't be colossally, historically, bad again. I'd like to think we can hit a little higher than that but who knows.
There's the old statistician coming out!

After the secret scrimmage my expectation is a winning record
Finger crossed

TU basketball unfortunately is back to pre-Nolan days!!!!

We are just another mediocre basketball program!!!

We have all hated to see the digression but it has happened.

With that said I hope we have a great year!!!!

Let's beat Ken Pom's prediction of 11 wins!!!!

GO TU!!!!

TU basketball unfortunately is back to pre-Nolan days!!!!

We are just another mediocre basketball program!!!

We have all hated to see the digression but it has happened.

With that said I hope we have a great year!!!!

Let's beat Ken Pom's prediction of 11 wins!!!!

GO TU!!!!
Dumb.

Biggest risers from preseason KenPom last 5 years. Tulsa starts the season at 272.

YearTeamPreseason RankPostseason RankChange
2022-2023Southern Miss32499225
2021-2022Middle Tennessee28592193
2020-2021Morehead State318134184
2019-2020Stephen F. Austin299100199
2018-2019South Florida2879918

Biggest risers from preseason KenPom last 5 years. Tulsa starts the season at 272.

YearTeamPreseason RankPostseason RankChange
2022-2023Southern Miss32499225
2021-2022Middle Tennessee28592193
2020-2021Morehead State318134184
2019-2020Stephen F. Austin299100199
2018-2019South Florida2879918
Wow is 272 lower than early Wojcik years?

GO TU!!!

Last edited:
Man, I was looking at upcoming opponents and Jackson St's schedule sounds like a nightmare with tight turn arounds and the travel they are doing in the first 10 days of the season:

11/6 - at Memphis (94-77 loss)
11/8 - at San Diego
11/10 - at California Baptist
11/14 - at Loyola Marymount
11/16 - at Tulsa

Reactions: chito_and_leon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT