ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Game Thread

Wojciks peak talent and Haith and we lose 5 games this year and are a 5-6 seed.

I hope Haith can recruit like Wojcik did. This upcoming class looks as promising as any in recent memory so I'm hopeful we will see progress.

I lined out next years team in Excel after the Memphis loss and I'll post it when I'm back on my PC.

Wow. I look forward to that.

Wojcik's best team had slowness and shooting issues, too. But Hurtt and Uzoh were probably better shooters than this group. Them again, Haith would start Glenn Andrews and let him shoot away.

I would like to see what Haith would have done with Hurtt and Mark Hill.

Wow. I look forward to that.

Wojcik's best team had slowness and shooting issues, too. But Hurtt and Uzoh were probably better shooters than this group. Them again, Haith would start Glenn Andrews and let him shoot away.

I would like to see what Haith would have done with Hurtt and Mark Hill.

I would have liked to have seen Bill Self with Jerome Jordan.

Reactions: TUMe
Still hurts. Played poorly. Why did we play poorly the last ~5 games?

Birt went under the screen because all the years of coaching and now instinct says that's what you do to prevent the screener from rolling to the basket and helps catch you back up to stop the ball handler from going uncontested to the rim. Just as Michigan's bugs were hedging aggressively on the screen, Wright needed to step out on the other side and force Irvin to go further from the basket. I think Swannegan would have done that if he's in. Just a difference in the the 2 of them play. Why was Wright in the game? Because he is a much better option in the PnR game. As much as he struggled mentally this year, he was still the more naturally gifted of our inside players.

Not sure why you would ever take the ball out of Shaq's hands down the stretch except to dish to an open shooter.

Reactions: cmullinsTU and I.I.
Birt went under the screen because all the years of coaching and now instinct says that's what you do to prevent the screener from rolling to the basket and helps catch you back up to stop the ball handler from going uncontested to the rim. Just as Michigan's bugs were hedging aggressively on the screen, Wright needed to step out on the other side and force Irvin to go further from the basket. I think Swannegan would have done that if he's in. Just a difference in the the 2 of them play. Why was Wright in the game? Because he is a much better option in the PnR game. As much as he struggled mentally this year, he was still the more naturally gifted of our inside players.

Not sure why you would ever take the ball out of Shaq's hands down the stretch except to dish to an open shooter.

This +1

Still hurts. Played poorly. Why did we play poorly the last ~5 games?
When players average 15 and 10 points over a 30 + game season, the team is relying on those players for normal point production. This team didn't need anything out or the ordinary, just contribute your normal scoring average. Except for Harrison, Smith and Swannegan, the other mainstays did not have their normal game last night and it was good night Irene.

I went to the game. I really think we played very good defense overall. We were focused & intense from the opening tip. We did not let Michigan have many open 3s. That was a big reason they went 4-18 on 3s in the first half. However, we didn't play very smart basketball in the first half. Curtis & Shaq keep forcing drives, as Michigan bigs sat back & waited for them & blocked the shot or just took it away. I could tell that they had scouted us very well. We had too many turnovers. We played nervous rather than loose. We created more wide open shots than Michigan did, we just did not convert.

I was really impressed that we came out strong in the 2nd half. Shaq drove...then dished beautifully to Swanny for a layup. That play showed a real halftime adjustment for our side. Shaq, Swanny & Smith really played hard & played very well last night. Smith played one of his best games on one of the biggest stages. I am happy for him. In pregame interviews, Woodard & Shaq talked about being very happy we made it to the dance. BUT, Shaq said he wasn't satisfied with just being there, he wanted to win. Shaq played the game like he meant what he said. You could tell he was determined to win the game. He played so well, that he almost carried us to the win by himself. Swanny brought attitude, especially with that block to start the second half. I also thought Ray played very hard & very well in some ways...great defense, good point guard play, good hustle, he just couldn't hit a shot. Woodard just plays a relaxed style, that can look very bad if he's not hitting shots. I thought he finally stepped up his pace late, but the shots still weren't dropping. Birt looked very frustrated. I credit Michigan's coach with good game planning on Birt.

Michigan was more athletic in person than advertised. They definitely had the size advantage, but we had the speed & quickness advantage. They have guards that will step up & hit the mid range jumper when it is available. We denied the 3 very well, so they took the mid range shots. They also drive better than advertised. Michigan has a good team, but I really think we are just as good. I am disappointed, knowing that we coulda, shoulda won that game.

BTW, be thankful for the Reynolds Center. Yes, Dayton's arena is larger (13,500 capacity). However, it is an older building with horrible internet service & no detailed stats on screens like we have. Dayton does have lots of loyal & friendly fans.

One last thought. Tulsa is now 0-3 with me attending NCAA games : 1982 loss vs.the Phi Slamma Jamma Cougars at the Mabee Center, 2000 elite 8 loss in Austin against North Carolina & now the 2016 loss vs Michigan. I will now volunteer to stay away from our next NCAA game, as long as some of you go in my place !

I went to the game. I really think we played very good defense overall. We were focused & intense from the opening tip. We did not let Michigan have many open 3s. That was a big reason they went 4-18 on 3s in the first half. However, we didn't play very smart basketball in the first half. Curtis & Shaq keep forcing drives, as Michigan bigs sat back & waited for them & blocked the shot or just took it away. I could tell that they had scouted us very well. We had too many turnovers. We played nervous rather than loose. We created more wide open shots than Michigan did, we just did not convert.

I was really impressed that we came out strong in the 2nd half. Shaq drove...then dished beautifully to Swanny for a layup. That play showed a real halftime adjustment for our side. Shaq, Swanny & Smith really played hard & played very well last night. Smith played one of his best games on one of the biggest stages. I am happy for him. In pregame interviews, Woodard & Shaq talked about being very happy we made it to the dance. BUT, Shaq said he wasn't satisfied with just being there, he wanted to win. Shaq played the game like he meant what he said. You could tell he was determined to win the game. He played so well, that he almost carried us to the win by himself. Swanny brought attitude, especially with that block to start the second half. I also thought Ray played very hard & very well in some ways...great defense, good point guard play, good hustle, he just couldn't hit a shot. Woodard just plays a relaxed style, that can look very bad if he's not hitting shots. I thought he finally stepped up his pace late, but the shots still weren't dropping. Birt looked very frustrated. I credit Michigan's coach with good game planning on Birt.

Michigan was more athletic in person than advertised. They definitely had the size advantage, but we had the speed & quickness advantage. They have guards that will step up & hit the mid range jumper when it is available. We denied the 3 very well, so they took the mid range shots. They also drive better than advertised. Michigan has a good team, but I really think we are just as good. I am disappointed, knowing that we coulda, shoulda won that game.

BTW, be thankful for the Reynolds Center. Yes, Dayton's arena is larger (13,500 capacity). However, it is an older building with horrible internet service & no detailed stats on screens like we have. Dayton does have lots of loyal & friendly fans.

One last thought. Tulsa is now 0-3 with me attending NCAA games : 1982 loss vs.the Phi Slamma Jamma Cougars at the Mabee Center, 2000 elite 8 loss in Austin against North Carolina & now the 2016 loss vs Michigan. I will now volunteer to stay away from our next NCAA game, as long as some of you go in my place !
What would ever happen if Dayton was one of the #11 teams selected for a First Four game?

Michigan does have 5 4-stars and a 5-star recruit in Irvin on the team and 2 more 4-stars coming in next year. So, they are a talented team but not more so than us.

Just let me know where and when to pick up the airline, hotel and game tickets and it's a deal. ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT