ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis Game Thread

"Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow"--tagline from Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update"

I’m not going to blame this on the kicker. The Memphis D was tired and dragging. The coach puts in a 230 pound RB with fresh legs and we win by 10, he didn’t so we lose by 1.
Didn't TK pick up a first down late on that last drive? Or was that the TD drive previous?

I blame Montgomery, not the kicker. 95% of our fanbase knew we should not have been playing for field goals on our last 2 drives. We needed to play for TDS.

This seasons FG attempts showed enough to NOT put our kicker in the win or lose situation Montgomery put him in.

Just reading this thread, I see 42-41 was predicted on here just like it was in my section in the stadium.

Teams that go up by 6 late usually lose by 1

You could see this coming a mile away. Going for 3 while up by 3 is a loser play.

And if we’re going for another 3, why not run it to the middle of the field on 3rd down. Then icing a shaky kicker just topped it all off. Never should have called a timeout and just kicked when the clock was running down from 18.

You could see this coming a mile away. Going for 3 while up by 3 is a loser play.

And if we’re going for another 3, why not run it to the middle of the field on 3rd down. Then icing a shaky kicker just topped it all off. Never should have called a timeout and just kicked when the clock was running down from 18.
Too much time to think for a kicker who has problems. Should have just been ready to rush out there and kick it quickly, from muscle memory, not mental memory.

That last sentence is the part that's hardest to swallow. The fans will develop ulcers and the AD and admin will remain silent without the faintest demonstration of accountability or agency.

I don't blame the admin at all. They inherited the financial mess that University is in and there really isn't much they can do. $3,000,000 isn't just lying around to spend to get rid of a football coach who should not have been given such a generous buyout to begin with.

I do blame Gragg just because I think he sucks.

I don't blame the admin at all. They inherited the financial mess that University is in and there really isn't much they can do. $3,000,000 isn't just lying around to spend to get rid of a football coach who should not have been given such a generous buyout to begin with.

I do blame Gragg just because I think he sucks.

Are there any ADs out there who use incentive based contracts with compensation and their head coaches? I think there should be if there isn't. Offer the coach 100k per win. And NO BUYOUT CLAUSES. Tulsa needs to revolutionize and implement this if it isn't being done already in the college ranks. And give assistant coaches a base of 75k per year with a 10k/win incentive.

So, im interested...do the everyone gets trophies crowd here want monty to keep him on the team and keep allowing him to fail? Or cut him and find a new kicker? Seems like yall are apathetic and "hes just a kid" so dont hold him accountable for his performance? Joke.
There’s like 4 kickers listed on the roster. Someone has to be able to make a 40 yarder

Reactions: maverickfp
Teams that go up by 6 late usually lose by 1

He was about 3 steps inside the right hash. The placement was perfect. It was not a difficult kick at all. As I said earlier, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the angle of the kick. He has an extreme fundamental flaw in his kicking approach and run up. Almost all of his kicks are extreme pulls to the left and the ball is almost always spinning sideways. Someone has tried to blame the holder for these short comings. I watched every hold yesterday and they were spot on with the laces out. We need a kicking coach, even if all he does is come to 2 practices per week to just work on technique.

Reactions: TU4ever2
First off....I hope everyone's calmed down since last night.

2nd - I'd just like to say my wife gets Player of the Game for sticking with me out in the cold while having a bad cough so I could see us possibly beat a ranked team.

3rd - We're all talking about the kicker but what about the defense giving up the go ahead TD with little resistance? Their offense went through us like a knife through hot butter. If the "strength of our team" steps up there the kicker doesn't even walk on the field.

Last edited:
He missed a 29 yard field goal. Just like I said 30 minutes ago. Am I shocked? No
This is will go down as the best prediction post in the history of the board. Everyone could imagine something bad happening at the end to pull defeat from the jaws of victory, but this was scary good.

Reactions: TulsaFan01
All roads lead through Montgomery. He and his assistants recruit the players, lead them through the transition to Division 1, call the plays and make the adjustments and decide who is on the field.

Five years into this process, he has earned an F-minus. The team has 2 wins and one was a miracle play by a great linebacker. Both TU and Monty need a fresh start. Sadly, I'm not sure that will happen.

What I can't understand is why the local media isn't gunning for this guy's head. That's probably the saddest part in all of this...

No one really cares to pay attention --- it's a non-story it seems.

If Monty is retained for next year our best assistants will leave this spring for other jobs. They will leave on their terms rather than waiting for the inevitable termination at the end of next year.

What I can't understand is why the local media isn't gunning for this guy's head. That's probably the saddest part in all of this...

The local media has made it pretty clear that they expect him back next year.

Gunning for the Monitor doesnt sell ads.. reporting on the amount of corn in Lincoln Rileys excrement does..

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Sorry i missed the tailgate. Timing wasnt good. Got to plan better.

That said.. first time ive seen us in person this yr. The problem is coaching.

I saw athletes with ability, albeit less than the other team. We appeared undersized but that is par for the course at TU..

When we ran a true HUNH, the offense clicked. Every time we second guessed and slowed down, it stalled.. coaching.

The decision to put the game on the kickers toe was bad beyond belief. It showed no killer instinct. Briles would have gone for the jugular. Two sixes down the stretch would have broken them.

Thats a constant refrain with this guy.. no killer instinct.

All roads lead through Montgomery. He and his assistants recruit the players, lead them through the transition to Division 1, call the plays and make the adjustments and decide who is on the field.

Five years into this process, he has earned an F-minus. The team has 2 wins and one was a miracle play by a great linebacker. Both TU and Monty need a fresh start. Sadly, I'm not sure that will happen.
By your logic Monty is also responsible for that LB being great and making that miracle play.

I have been firmly on The fire Monty bandwagon since the SMU game. I was at the beginning of the year but wanted to see what happened with Smith. After the loss at SMU I am squarely on that train. Does anyone know how much it would cost to buy out his contract? Does anyone know if the school would do it?

To be clear I still don't blame him for this loss, I can, but I don't. The defense should not let that long ass pass get through.

By your logic Monty is also responsible for that LB being great and making that miracle play.
Yes to an extent he is responsible. He is responsible for his recruitment. It also shows that he is a defensive player and not on the offense which Monty coordinates. Look Monty is not all bad. No one is all good or all bad. But his job is to build a well run football program that wins enough games to keep the populous pleased.

IF he is coach in 2020, my hope is that the staff has an offensive coordinator. If that helps, great. I still think he has failed after 4 out 5 seasons likely being sub-.500, and thus we should move on with what talent we have. I detest mentally writing a bowl bid off, but without exquisite special teams and with no more wiggle room....

Last edited:
I was at the game so didn’t post during the game but once again Monty missed a chance to challenge a spot (a defensive stop that was called a first down) that could have changed the outcome. I really believe him trying to be the OC and HC is a distraction to the duties of the HC.

Reactions: TU4ever2
You guys simply don’t understand the 3D chess Monty is playing. He is saving up his challenges and will use all 12 of them on the last game of the season.

Reactions: maverickfp
He was about 3 steps inside the right hash. The placement was perfect. It was not a difficult kick at all. As I said earlier, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the angle of the kick. He has an extreme fundamental flaw in his kicking approach and run up. Almost all of his kicks are extreme pulls to the left and the ball is almost always spinning sideways. Someone has tried to blame the holder for these short comings. I watched every hold yesterday and they were spot on with the laces out. We need a kicking coach, even if all he does is come to 2 practices per week to just work on technique.
The tape doesn’t lie. Watch the highlights. The snap is high on the first miss and the ball is late coming down so the kicker hesitates slightly. On the second miss, the ball is mishandled slightly, corrected quickly, but the ball is not perpendicular to the ground and instead is angled slightly to the right towards the holder. That likely caused an irregular impression on the ball and the ball to shank left. There’s nobody to blame here, it’s a three man unit. Each of the three needs to improve. As Monty is fond of saying, it’s a learning process. They need to learn some more,

Last edited:
The tape doesn’t lie. Watch the highlights. The snap is high on the first miss and the ball is late coming down. On the second miss, the ball is mishandled slightly, corrected quickly, but the ball is not perpendicular to the ground and instead is angled slightly to the right towards the holder. That likely caused an irregular impression on the ball and the ball to shank left. There’s nobody to blame here, it’s a three man unit. Each of the three needs to improve. As Monty is fond of saying, it’s a learning process. They need to learn some more,

We just never should have iced our own kicker. He’s having enough trouble as it is, and we intentionally made it even more difficult for him.

Calling a timeout instead of just letting him kick it was just another in growing list of bad decisions.

We just never should have iced our own kicker. He’s having enough trouble as it is, and we intentionally made it even more difficult for him.

Calling a timeout instead of just letting him kick it was just another in growing list of bad decisions.
I’m the last guy on here to defend this staff. And I would normally agree with you. But there was lack of execution earlier in the game and all year. They were late getting on the field. Rushing this unit may have unnecessarily increased the chances for a miss. So I had no trouble with the timeout. In the end, it wasn’t the kicker anyway. It was likely the hold as discussed above.

That guy in the building who batted down the shanked kick in disgust...
Perfect encapsulation of the TU fan's reaction to this season. Swat it the hell outta here in disgust.

I’m the last guy on here to defend this staff. And I would normally agree with you. But there was lack of execution earlier in the game and all year. They were late getting on the field. Rushing this unit may have unnecessarily increased the chances for a miss. So I had no trouble with the timeout. In the end, it wasn’t the kicker anyway. It was likely the hold as discussed above.

But they weren’t late getting on the field. Everyone was set with about 10 seconds on the clock with the holder waving his arms to not snap it. There was plenty of time to run the play.

We just made it more difficult than it needed to be.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Doesn’t matter soon enough. This season is toast and we had a scholarship kicker commit tonight.

Why not use the Drake kicker Donelly he came in to kick a kickoff so he must be well now he was good at Drake

Got us a scholly kicker. Gonna win out the season. Get a bowl. Blow out some G4 school. Monty gets 2 year extension. The Never-Monties burn down this board.

Reactions: TulsaAM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT