ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis Game Thread

You can get away with a non-scholarship kicker at a big school were the kid just wants to be a part of the winning program. But at Tulsa, you've got to have incentive to get competence.

I get to walk into the OR again monday and hear all the laughs about tulsa. Good times. Thank goodness my dad went to alabama so i have a good team to cheer for.

Monty still hurts my football soul though.

So, im interested...do the everyone gets trophies crowd here want monty to keep him on the team and keep allowing him to fail? Or cut him and find a new kicker? Seems like yall are apathetic and "hes just a kid" so dont hold him accountable for his performance? Joke.

You do realize there are more options between "give a kid a participation trophy" and "trash the kid personally online" right?

The O-line played much better this game. And there were very few false start and holding penalties. Wish TK would get more runs though... That kid has the midas touch in there!

Reactions: TigerCane16
So, im interested...do the everyone gets trophies crowd here want monty to keep him on the team and keep allowing him to fail? Or cut him and find a new kicker? Seems like yall are apathetic and "hes just a kid" so dont hold him accountable for his performance? Joke.
And who would you want him to put out there midway through the season. The kicker Monty planned on using is injured. Still a failure on Monty's part. Monty needs to go, no reason to bag on a non scholarship player for Monty's inequities. Done.

You do realize there are more options between "give a kid a participation trophy" and "trash the kid personally online" right?
I trashed him? I suggest he go drink that one away and quit football. Because, while it may be harsh, he is an objectively useless college football player.

Pretty much all the people you are arguing with are more mature Republicans.

I enjoy your posts. Have yet to disagree with you on here on principle. Not trying to start a beef by any means. And there's no "but" forthcoming...
Rainey should never have tried out and the coaching staff should never have put the game on his leg. He missed 2 field goals tonight if memory serves. And he's missed probably 7 or 8 this season. I don't feel sorry for him, he's in an enviable position of playing on a D1 football team. If he can't make kicks under pressure, why volunteer to be a place kicker?

Who cares tho, were Tulsa. We have a usless coach and administration. Just once id like something to cheer about though in the last 3 years.

Reactions: TULSARISING
We had zero turnovers, only 7 penalties, 101 plays, almost 300 rush yards and 300 pass yards. But our kicker was 2/5...

Every single player executed except the kicker...
Common sense would say that a coach should realize when you have piss poor special teams and it costs you multiple games over the last 2 yrs, you might want to spend some time making them better. Hire a kicking coach maybe? Maybe find a kicker and offer a scholarship to one.

Who cares tho, were Tulsa. We have a usless coach and administration. Just once id like something to cheer about though in the last 3 years.
This.... It's been an embarrassment for the city of Tulsa to put this product on the field

Reactions: TulsaAM
I enjoy your posts. Have yet to disagree with you on here on principle. Not trying to start a beef by any means. And there's no "but" forthcoming...
Rainey should never have tried out and the coaching staff should never have put the game on his leg. He missed 2 field goals tonight if memory serves. And he's missed probably 7 or 8 this season. I don't feel sorry for him, he's in an enviable position of playing on a D1 football team. If he can't make kicks under pressure, why volunteer to be a place kicker?

Are you asking why anyone who might fail at a sport would want to play that sport?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Are you asking why anyone who might fail at a sport would want to play that sport?

No Sir, not suggesting that. I think once you hit the collegiate level though, those that fail at a particular sport face a vetting process that precludes them from stepping on the field with others who have shown an ability to be proficient in a particular position.

Reactions: maverickfp
No Sir, not suggesting that. I think once you hit the collegiate level though, those that fail at a particular sport face a vetting process that precludes them from stepping on the field with others who have shown an ability to be proficient in a particular position.

Seems like that would be on the guy doing the vetting. Not to mention we're talking about a freshman here. Freshmen struggling under pressure is nothing new

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I might fail at being a coach, but i want you to give me 2 mil a year for 8 years because i want to be a good coach. I also wanted to be a great qb. Where were you to give me the chance when i clearly had zero ability to do the job...

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Seems like that would be on the guy doing the vetting. Not to mention we're talking about a freshman here. Freshmen struggling under pressure is nothing new
Agreed....fire Monty. Lol. Then we hopefully have a smart coach and rainey wont have a place on the team to let his fans and teammates down.

Reactions: TULSARISING

Like I said, I enjoy your posts and I agree with your assessment that the vetting process is on the coaches. Freshman or not, Rainey is terrible at his position. It's just my opinion and you know the old limerick about those and anuses... You certainly don't have to like or agree with mine.

Okay, I assume Monte doesn't have a kicker to replace this one. I thought the kicker that was supposed to be the starter is hurt. Where would he go to get another kicker for the ninth game? Pick one off of the Kicker Tree. If one transferred in he would have to sit out a year. Now lets assume Monte is not brain dead and lets hope there is one who will play next year or he can recruit one (if he is still coach). This current one hooks a lot of kicks to the left and the further out they are the more they hook. Then why on earth would he play to have the game decided by a field goal with 2 seconds on the clock?

Agreed....fire Monty. Lol. Then we hopefully have a smart coach and rainey wont have a place on the team to let his fans and teammates down.

I guess I don't have enough narcissism to believe that an amateur athlete could let me down. Sometimes they play well, sometimes they don't. But they don't owe us anything

Reactions: TUMe and Gmoney4WW
Like I said, I enjoy your posts and I agree with your assessment that the vetting process is on the coaches. Freshman or not, Rainey is terrible at his position. It's just my opinion and you know the old limerick about those and anuses... You certainly don't have to like or agree with mine.
Players and their parents do look at this board.

Okay, I assume Monte doesn't have a kicker to replace this one. I thought the kicker that was supposed to be the starter is hurt. Where would he go to get another kicker for the ninth game? Pick one off of the Kicker Tree. If one transferred in he would have to sit out a year. Now lets assume Monte is not brain dead and lets hope there is one who will play next year or he can recruit one (if he is still coach). This current one hooks a lot of kicks to the left and the further out they are the more they hook. Then why on earth would he play to have the game decided by a field goal with 2 seconds on the clock?
I think your problem here is that monty is indeed football braindead. We should have run a normal offense as if we were down by 7 instead of 1 due to our kicker issue. If we try for the tds and pass and try and fail and then its up to the kicker thats one thing. But monties entire GOAL that drive was to play for a fg with run after run after run when fg is the weakest part of the effing team.

Players and their parents do look at this board.
So what.

Mr and mrs rainey. I regret to inform you that your son is not a d1 football kicker. He was great to have in the locker room and he has a bright future ahead of him, but he is just not able to do the job we need him to do.

I guess I don't have enough narcissism to believe that an amateur athlete could let me down. Sometimes they play well, sometimes they don't. But they don't owe us anything
Then why do you cheer for amateur athletes? This literally sounds like an "everybody gets a medal" mentality.

I would invite anyone from the student body to the field on monday to see if they could kick a 30 yd fg.

To be rather succinct and somewhat reductive: because Monty.
Have no clue how this guy was qualified enough to pass the screening process to be a head coach. I don't think he's brain dead necessarily, he doesn't seem to have the ability to make executive decisions and draw inferences on the fly during the game. He sits his best back game after game during short yardage situations.

I asked after the SMU game and did not remember an answer. Is our FG kicker on scholarship or a walk on? The second most important player in a football team. I will repeat that.... the second most important player on a football team.

Then why do you cheer for amateur athletes? This literally sounds like an "everybody gets a medal" mentality.

Neither sentence makes sense.

Me rooting for a team has nothing to do with whether I think they actually owe me anything. And it is a coach's job to hold players accountable, not mine. A good coach knows when to bring the hammer down and when not to, but that has nothing to do with what I say on here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and TUMe
I am not going to craft some nostalgia-driven soliloquy or even go on some long rant. However, I shall say this; be it because of the kicker who has now lost two games against T25 opponents or the inept o-line -- this game should serve as the perfect coda to "P Monty's" tenure at our school. It had everything -- a glimpse of what was (Zach looking like Dane/Cory like Flanders), what is (the 2 missed FG's and crummy play calling), and "what could have been" (yet again, so close to beating a ranked team).

That said, we know our AD and admin will do zilch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT