ADVERTISEMENT

Lets be real about Coach Haith

The beginning of games is when starters play. If a starter is a freshman then he is a freshman starter. Tulsa has many freshman. All of them, except Battle, have started at least one game.

Signed,
John Klein

P.S. This thread has gotten silly. Beat SFA!

I don't know much about basketball except I like to watch it, but here's what I think about Haith.

His first two years he took a poor shooting team and had them contending for a conference title and an NCAA berth both times with an NIT and an NCAA appearance. That looks like good coaching to me. It shows he can adjust his strategy depending on the personnel rather than sticking to a rigid idea of how the game should be played. I give him a pass on recruiting those years because I figure the better players are not going to want to come to a team with so many upperclassmen. Good players expect to play right away.

The new recruits look pretty good overall so far. Almost all of them have shown some potential and Magnay looks like he could be a star. Time will tell how many of them pan out, but I am optimistic.

This team's biggest weakness seems to be turnovers. Many of them coming from guys making passes that the other guy is not ready for. This is what you get with a team full of players that don't know each other very well yet. That should improve with experience.

With so many new players, Haith really has his work cut out for him figuring out who should play and what combinations work best together. People keep bringing up Haith's past, but those who are ultimately successful are those who learn from their mistakes. So far, I like what I see from him.

I don't know much about basketball except I like to watch it, but here's what I think about Haith.

His first two years he took a poor shooting team and had them contending for a conference title and an NCAA berth both times with an NIT and an NCAA appearance. That looks like good coaching to me. It shows he can adjust his strategy depending on the personnel rather than sticking to a rigid idea of how the game should be played. I give him a pass on recruiting those years because I figure the better players are not going to want to come to a team with so many upperclassmen. Good players expect to play right away.

The new recruits look pretty good overall so far. Almost all of them have shown some potential and Magnay looks like he could be a star. Time will tell how many of them pan out, but I am optimistic.

This team's biggest weakness seems to be turnovers. Many of them coming from guys making passes that the other guy is not ready for. This is what you get with a team full of players that don't know each other very well yet. That should improve with experience.

With so many new players, Haith really has his work cut out for him figuring out who should play and what combinations work best together. People keep bringing up Haith's past, but those who are ultimately successful are those who learn from their mistakes. So far, I like what I see from him.
^This. This is a good post.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Danny did it and went to the CBI his first year. He had two seniors (Kauri Black
+ Scottie Haralson) two juniors (Tim Peete + Pat Swilling) and one sophomore
(Smitty) The rest were Freshman. Plus, that team battled injury in the frontcourt
the entire year.

To be fair, it was in a slightly weaker conference, but you still had Memphis +
Houston and some decent teams like UTEP. And Danny was building off of
years of mediocre basketball without any NCAA appearances. Haith had two
of them to build off of.
If you mean by slightly weaker, about two full rungs weaker, then OK....

Haith's biggest recruiting mistake when he got here was hiring all of the ol'
ex-head coaches, who had rather sat by the fireplace at night with a good red
wine instead of hitting the recruiting trail....

We didn't get much real recruiting done until he got Michael Schwartz who
was responsible for some good share of the 2016 class....Sadly for us, he got
an offer for a lot more money than we could pay him.....

Haith then promoted Seals, and brought in English....It's hard to tell exactly
where we are in terms of recruiting acumen with these young coaches, but we
came very close on Vic Bailey, and signed Jefferies and Joiner for the 2017
class.....I call that pretty good recruiting...No badly need PG, but that still may
be in the works....

As to Manning, he inherited Juice, Swanny, Wright, Haralson, and Smith from
DW, and signed Black (sr. transfer), Shaq, Ray and Curtis, and very little else
during his tenure...

I had much rather have next year's squad (this year's plus Scott, Jefferies,
and Joiner, less Birt and any attrition) than anything I could envision Manning
putting on the floor.....His heart was never at T.U., and his recruiting results
seemed to show that to be true.......

Mostly agree with what you are saying, turnovers are mostly caused by inexperienced players. The more experience they get playing together the better this team will be. Anyone that expects too much out of this team this year is just kidding themselves or trolling for clicks.

Even experienced coaches like Haith can learn from past mistakes. Weather its your own mistake or from those you worked with. Learn better, as long you don't continue the same mistakes in the present I don't have a problem it. Everyone makes mistakes its how we learn. No one is perfect.

Reactions: Gold* and goldfan83
::Anxiously waiting Astonmartin to embarrass himself again::
Anxiously waiting for you to realize that I've followed Tulsa basketball closer than you in the last 8 or so years. I guarantee it.

Also, I'm not embarrassed. I'm right. You just don't know it yet.

Anxiously waiting for you to realize that I've followed Tulsa basketball closer than you in the last 8 or so years. I guarantee it.

No. I guarantee you that Tupatsfan has been rocking out since the Johnnie Gendron days. TUpatsfan loved to point out every Doug Wojcik foible since the after year 2. Unfortunately, he can't see any of Billy Donovan's but that is an arguement for another day.

You're reputation on the AAC board is starting to leak over to this board...

I wish Haith could bring in the talents we had under Wojcik like Bassel Bawji, Adrian Hernandez, Armond Battle, or a Brandon Jackson --- those guys were dyn-o-mite!!!

latest

I went to games at the convention center with my parents when I could walk, and I damn sure have been following them closely since those days. Please keep sounding like the dbag we know you are and keep saying idiotic things. Have a Merry Christmas! I'm sure Krampus will enjoy his time with you.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
I went to games at the convention center with my parents when I could walk, and I damn sure have been following them closely since those days. Please keep sounding like the dbag we know you are and keep saying idiotic things. Have a Merry Christmas! I'm sure Krampus will enjoy his time with you.
I didn't argue that you didn't follow. I argued that you hadn't been following as closely. You may find me abrasive, but I don't really care.

888 likes received. I'll just keep posting thanks. I don't expect people to always agree with me. I just calls em' like I sees em'.

My "Like/post" ratio is sitting at 25%.

I meant your annoying/dbag reputation, but you can go ahead and stick to those numbers.

Trust me I'm one of the more diehards on this board and that includes you, the now biggest dbag on this board.

888 likes received. I'll just keep posting thanks. I don't expect people to always agree with me. I just calls em' like I sees em'.

My "Like/post" ratio is sitting at 25%.
I don't get the self-congratulatory pompousness. Lots of people are in a wait and see mode with Haith for reasons that are obvious to anyone and require no special insight or intelligence. Those people are just more polite and civil. In this day and age anyone can hop on one side of a close issue and be a grating blowhard and get some likes. Requires no knowledge or intelligence just a comfort with being super annoying. So, congratulations?

Trust me I'm one of the more diehards on this board and that includes you, the now biggest dbag on this board.

Ha. Ha. Ha. I never called you out for being obnoxious, which you have been since you (apparently) joined this month. In fact, I never mentioned you at all. Feel free to crawl back into whatever hole you came out of.

I don't get the self-congratulatory pompousness. Lots of people are in a wait and see mode with Haith for reasons that are obvious to anyone and require no special insight or intelligence. Those people are just more polite and civil. In this day and age anyone can hop on one side of a close issue and be a grating blowhard and get some likes. Requires no knowledge or intelligence just a comfort with being super annoying. So, congratulations?
I had been more or less polite and civil during the first two years of Haiths tenure, when I was in the same wait and see mode. Now I'm in the "needs improvement" mode.

This team has shown flashes of what it could be maybe next year and they could be pretty good. As of now though they have a long way to go. One of the biggest things that needs fixing soon is the passing to vacant spaces. Seen too many of those this year, I know they are new and haven't played together much. But this really needs to be worked on in practice a lot. It absolutely kills your momentum when that happens.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I have an idea. I'm going to talk about Lamar basketball in this thread until it dies...

Yes!!! We beat Arlington Baptist 126-75. ABU couldn't afford jerseys this year so we had to play shirts vs skins!!!!1111

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
This team has shown flashes of what it could be maybe next year and they could be pretty good. As of now though they have a long way to go. One of the biggest things that needs fixing soon is the passing to vacant spaces. Seen too many of those this year, I know they are new and haven't played together much. But this really needs to be worked on in practice a lot. It absolutely kills your momentum when that happens.
I think our guards need to work on (be coached on?) dribbling into bad situations with no decisiveness. I know I've heard Haith yelling (move the ball!!!!) a million times, but in several possessions a game it never seems to move beyond two players.

The game against ABU was great to get some guys opportunities. Its great when we can get 9 players in double figures and Joey got himself a double-double! I like how Coach Price has us playing heading into Southland Conference play!

Reactions: ctt8410
Dude, quit it. You are giving Peters something to get excited about.

No one cares about Lamar!!!!1

Tulsa lost 86% of its scoring from last years team that is what I call a rebuilding year. By the way the Hurricane didn't look too bad against SF Austin tonight.

I think you just proved that!

please liberty, settle in. We understand where you are coming from and I think most agree that we are not a very good team this year. That is not the question. I like you are disappointed in Haith's recruiting during the first year, however, there are several new players on this team that represent a big uptick for the recruits from his predecessor. Still think he needs to find that elusive point guard for next year. Maybe your points are correct but it is way too early in this programs development to go rouge. So take a breath and give it a year to see if you can gloat or be a goat.

Goof/good time to bring this up, and make people look silly.
Yep. He's doing fine and this team is starting to develop and probably ahead of when I thought they would. They've had some really outstanding stretches of defense the last couple games and when the ball keeps moving the offense is really good.

I am shocked at how well they played since the Houston game. The UH game was painful to watch at times, but the guards are doing a good job of not putting the ball in jeopardy as much and still being very aggressive. They are playing at a different level. Good job coach Haith!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT