ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Games (11/16)

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Only 2 games yesterday, but both results were very interesting. Cincinnati put up a UConn Women's number on Robert Morris (106-44). BobMo isn't a great team, but they're still the class of the NEC. I watched part of this game and Cinci was just an unrelenting buzzsaw. If you can ignore their fans, it's a fun team to watch.

The only other game was Iona @ Valpo. Iona returns almost everyone from a 26-win team last year and could be a sneaky tough game for us, but they got absolutely steamrolled by Valpo 83-58. I tend to think that says more about how good Valpo will be this year, but that margin was a shocker for me.

Tonight's action features the dregs of the AAC trying to avoid more bad losses. All 3 are favored, but all 3 could easily lose.

bHeWC30.jpg

OSU led Ark Pine Bluff by one at half, wins by 13 or so. Their AHOLE announcers referred to "Tulsa as the toughest mid-major game" on the Pokes schedule. The Big XIIers think that football rules all - really - the AAC as a mid major league. Get real Poke Chokers. I thought OSU looked like a last place Big XII team.

ORU loses by 16 or so at So. Carolina but Emegano looks very good - career high. He can win a game single-handedly.

I'm sure Drake won't be very good this year, but it still seems like a good win for Tulane who lost to Bama A&M in game one.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
OSU led Ark Pine Bluff by one at half, wins by 13 or so. Their AHOLE announcers referred to "Tulsa as the toughest mid-major game" on the Pokes schedule. The Big XIIers think that football rules all - really - the AAC as a mid major league. Get real Poke Chokers. I thought OSU looked like a last place Big XII team.

ORU loses by 16 or so at So. Carolina but Emegano looks very good - career high. He can win a game single-handedly.
Watched part of the ORU game on the SEC Network. Refs were very pro SC in this one and it wasn't even hidden. ORU was in a lot of foul trouble early on. For a team that doesn't have a ton of quality depth, that hurt them more than anything. ORU had an early lead. SC had some size, but the biggest issue was the tilting of the floor. For Sutton to get a tech you know things are bad.

Its funny that Poke considers the AAC a mid-major conference in basketball. OSU is going to lose several games to mid-majors this year...they're just not that good.

Watched part of the ORU game on the SEC Network. Refs were very pro SC in this one and it wasn't even hidden. ORU was in a lot of foul trouble early on. For a team that doesn't have a ton of quality depth, that hurt them more than anything. ORU had an early lead. SC had some size, but the biggest issue was the tilting of the floor. For Sutton to get a tech you know things are bad.

Its funny that Poke considers the AAC a mid-major conference in basketball. OSU is going to lose several games to mid-majors this year...they're just not that good.
Didn't they add Ibaka's brother/cousin as well as some other good pieces?

Didn't they add Ibaka's brother/cousin as well as some other good pieces?
OSU? I don't know...they're young and I know there are concerns on who is going to score. They're picked 7th in the Big XII from most polls and projections I've seen and outside the NCAA. It's one thing for Travis Ford to have guys like Markel Brown, Marcus Smart, and Nash...you don't need to do much coaching with that level of talent (see John Phillips 2002, 2003), but this will be a season where you find out how good (or bad) of a coach Ford is.

Ibaka was hurt over the summer and is pretty far behind the other bigs. OSU's most important newcomers are Evans (fresh PG who was a McDonalds AA) and Olivier (a 6'8" post who transferred in from Eastern Illinois). Olivier has been impressive thus far and gives OSU a low post scorer. Evans is lightning quick but is still adjusting to college play. Next to Nash the biggest change in this years game will be the absence of Cobbins down low. TU's guards seem reluctant to drive the ball to the hoop due to his presence. Neither Solomon or Olivier possess that type of defensive presence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT