ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting development if it goes ahead

I don't think a majority of fans realize this isn't a pathway for a team like Tulsa to get to MLS with a magical season. It's only within the USL governance structure. I believe USL has 3 league levels right now, USL-Chanpionship, USL 1 and whatever they call the 3rd league. It's also not a pathway for say, Tulsa Athletic, to move up from NPSL to a USL league (I can't read the article because it's behind a paywall but I read about the whole thing in a different platform). It's not going to be a true USSF pro/tel system where all "professional" teams have a chance at the dream like you see in the English FA.

I don't think a majority of fans realize this isn't a pathway for a team like Tulsa to get to MLS with a magical season. It's only within the USL governance structure. I believe USL has 3 league levels right now, USL-Chanpionship, USL 1 and whatever they call the 3rd league. It's also not a pathway for say, Tulsa Athletic, to move up from NPSL to a USL league (I can't read the article because it's behind a paywall but I read about the whole thing in a different platform). It's not going to be a true USSF pro/tel system where all "professional" teams have a chance at the dream like you see in the English FA.
Shame you cannot read the second article I posted. Part of the end game is generating sufficient media interest to bring USL Championship to D1 level. In other words, to make MLS irrelevant or at least less relevant and USL the main player across levels. Long range plan.

Shame you cannot read the second article I posted. Part of the end game is generating sufficient media interest to bring USL Championship to D1 level. In other words, to make MLS irrelevant or at least less relevant and USL the main player across levels. Long range plan.
That's an interesting take. The US won't support that and SUM absolutely will not allow that to happen. For one, the TV/media partner of USL at the time they try to make that push will be black balled from ever getting the media rights to MLS, US Open Cup, or USMNT/USWNT games. I don't know who gives the designations for the tiers in the US, but if the USSF is involved, it's never going to happen minus a merger of MLS and USL moving forward and I would suspect a lot of $$$ involved to ensure the MLS owners who paid $100m + in franchise fees depending on when they got in, get their money back and they are able to maintain a competitive advantage. Unless on of the major networks wants it to happen and makes sure the contract is for enough $ that teams at the 1st and 2nd tiers are making at least their payroll in media rights fees, it's going to be tough sledding.

That's an interesting take. The US won't support that and SUM absolutely will not allow that to happen. For one, the TV/media partner of USL at the time they try to make that push will be black balled from ever getting the media rights to MLS, US Open Cup, or USMNT/USWNT games. I don't know who gives the designations for the tiers in the US, but if the USSF is involved, it's never going to happen minus a merger of MLS and USL moving forward and I would suspect a lot of $$$ involved to ensure the MLS owners who paid $100m + in franchise fees depending on when they got in, get their money back and they are able to maintain a competitive advantage. Unless on of the major networks wants it to happen and makes sure the contract is for enough $ that teams at the 1st and 2nd tiers are making at least their payroll in media rights fees, it's going to be tough sledding.
Well they are taking a long term strategic view. If it is wildly successful they could exert pressure. You could also see popular pressure.

They are also considering adding a fourth league just below USL Championship where new teams would enter.

Well they are taking a long term strategic view. If it is wildly successful they could exert pressure. You could also see popular pressure.
Just for the record, I am pro Pro/Rel because I think it does mean every game matters and you don't see teams tanking for picks like you do in the NBA. But I am doubtful it will ever see the light of day in the soccer big picture here because of the money structure. And we've got too many fairweather fans in the US. If their USL team gets relegated, no one's going to the games the next year. At least in England, a team that gets promoted gets a giant wad of cash from the FA to go spend on players that might be able to help keep them in the top flight (see Nottingham Forest). We'll see if that influx of $ will be enough to keep Luton Town relevant for the entire season. And that's the next issue...why should teams like Tulsa ever get promoted when they can't even invest in an actual soccer pitch to play the game. That goes for any of the teams still playing on baseball diamonds. Luton Town is going to have an issue playing in their band box. Just like Tulsa would have trouble hosting 16 MLS match days on their baseball pitch. In England, most of the sides fighting for promotion have at least 15k-20k seat stadiums at a minimum.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
I like the thinking on their part. They believe it will generate more media interest and fan interest in general. If so, it is a win regardless of whether they can parley that into a D1 designation. It's a disruptive influence, and nothing will change without a disruptor. I think they should roll the dice and do it if they are getting positive signals from media partners. Maybe all it does is get them more media dollars. Or perhaps MLS watches for the next decade and decides they want in on the excitement that's generated. Or perhaps fan interest eventually overtakes MLS. I don't think the baseball stadium thing is really relevant to the big picture here. If it goes well enough, Tulsa will have a soccer specific stadium anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT