ADVERTISEMENT

Thunder

goldenhurricane2

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2006
Will be interesting to see how the fine folks of OKC choose to vote on the new arena item tomorrow. Lots of back and forth on Twitter between diehards on both sides.

If it fails where does the franchise go? Vegas? KC maybe? Back to Seattle? 🤔

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how the fine folks of OKC choose to vote on the new arena item tomorrow. Lots of back and forth on Twitter between diehards on both sides.

Has there been any serious polling done on it lately?

Can someone help me breakdown how the Financials usually work on a deal like this?

So OKC will own the facility, which seems fair since the tax payers are footing 95% of the build, with the Thunder ownership paying 5%.

But does that 5% get them free rent? Who collects revenue from tickets, concessions? Who pays the electric bill?

Treat me like I'm an uniformed voter on these questions. I'm 100% on board giving Oklahoma's only professional sports team everything they need to succeed, but fairly.

Can someone help me breakdown how the Financials usually work on a deal like this?

So OKC will own the facility, which seems fair since the tax payers are footing 95% of the build, with the Thunder ownership paying 5%.

But does that 5% get them free rent? Who collects revenue from tickets, concessions? Who pays the electric bill?

Treat me like I'm an uniformed voter on these questions. I'm 100% on board giving Oklahoma's only professional sports team everything they need to succeed, but fairly.
The Thunder will become "primary tenant" for a modest rental fee. OKC will be responsible for upkeep of the facility and upgrades as needed. The Thunder will get the "naming rights" money as well as any fees/profits from events/concessions/ (ie concerts, rodeos, etc).. the city will get the sales tax off of commerce but no profit sharing.. the city is basically building a profit center for a group of billionaires..

If i could vote, i would vote no.

The thunder ownership need to show their commitment with $$$.. $500 million would be nice.. it would indicate that they are serious about staying.. Bennets signature on a piece of paper and $8 will get you a Starbucks coffee.

Won't go to KC...NBA wants bigger markets an they absolutely want to be in Vegas right now. Seattle wants them back and even built a new arena for the Kraken but I'm thinking if Vegas wants them, Vegas will get them.

Not that I can vote in OKC but the idea of building a new arena to replace a building that is 25 years old and still in great shape is ridiculous to me. Add that fact to the one that this would probably be the worst private/public arena deal in history and I can see why the "NO" people are pissed off. I did see one "YES" person argue that if this doesn't pass will you see one red cent from any funding source go towards solving the homeless "crisis" in OKC b/c that seems to be a stance the "NOs" are taking about needing to solve homelessness before making billionaires richer.

Apparently the naysayers were just a loud minority - the arena deal passed easily.
The margin was way higher than I thought it would be. It passed on the level that Union, Jenks, and Bixby pass school bond issues. I expected something closer, like 55-45 which is still significant, but it's not a 40 pt margin that it ended up being indicating overwhelming community support.

The vitriol between the yes and no votes on Twitter is alarming though. Like no one respects someone with a difference opinion. I understand the no's and their concern that they think OKC is taking on too much of the burden that will result in billionaires becoming multi-billionaires while what the benefit to the city will be was not laid out beyond the few hundred temp construction jobs and the vibrancy in Bricktown on game nights. Most of the no's wanted to know what the Thunder owners would do to help with some of the pressing issues in OKC like homelessness (it's awful just like here). And most of the no's could have been swayed more to a yes had it been a more equitable split of responsibility like 60/40 or 50/50.

The vitriol between the yes and no votes on Twitter is alarming though.
that’s the world we live in today unfortunately. Anyone with a differing opinion is the worst person on earth and is purposefully trying to ruin everything. I’ll stop there before I go on a crossfire rant, but this world would be such a better place if everyone was just a little more kind and understanding of each others perspectives.

The Thunder is damn good this year. They have three legit stars. Chet may not get rookie of the year, but I bet he makes the All Star Game. If SGA could hit consistently from three, they’d be monsters.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The Thunder is damn good this year. They have three legit stars. Chet may not get rookie of the year, but I bet he makes the All Star Game. If SGA could hit consistently from three, they’d be monsters.
So how long before Presti blows it up b/c the cheap ass owner doesn't want to be above the salary cap tax thresshold?

that’s the world we live in today unfortunately. Anyone with a differing opinion is the worst person on earth and is purposefully trying to ruin everything. I’ll stop there before I go on a crossfire rant, but this world would be such a better place if everyone was just a little more kind and understanding of each others perspectives.
I actually think much of the ugliness is by design and is encouraged and the flames are fanned on a continual basis....but that is another tangent.....

Yes the Thunder are really good this year. So far Presti's long term plan with draft picks seems to be working as intended.

So how long before Presti blows it up b/c the cheap ass owner doesn't want to be above the salary cap tax thresshold?

I have seen no indication the ownership group would do that. As long as the core wants to be there, they will pay for them and they have plenty of draft picks to keep building.

I have seen no indication the ownership group would do that. As long as the core wants to be there, they will pay for them and they have plenty of draft picks to keep building.
But that's biggest problem....having lots of draft picks means they are willing to part with a super star and go young (and cheap) meaning this team will never achieve enough growth and development together to get to the point of being able to contend for an NBA title. OKC isn't a destination for high profile FAs to come in and build a champion. Russ was the last guy you could do that around and lure great FAs to come in and contend. SGA is a superstar but do we really see him as a lure to another great player. And I hate the collusion between FAs to go to a single place and build a super team. I have always been of the opinion, the NBA, more than any other league, absolutely need a hard salary cap.

How many teams have built their success around original draft picks right now? Golden State around Steph, Klay, and THUG GREEN. Boston around Taytum, Brown, and White (and a couple of others). Milwaukee althought they've traded some of their pieces away so Giannis can act like Lebron and hand pick a team. Philly maybe although that team seems so discontent between little factions. I hate the Lakers with a passion but even moreso these days because of the Lebron factor and the ridiculousness around how that team is built and the blatant disregard for the cap.

Its a business.. players and draft picks are the coin of the realm for small market teams..

Presti learned his lesson by not trading Durant with 2 yrs left on his contract.. that set the rebuild back 4 yrs.. i dont expect him to make that mistake again..

Are they?... dont really follow the nba...

Are they?... dont really follow the nba...
Yes, they're, arguably, a top 5 team at the moment. They've beaten Denver twice this season, the favorite to win it all again this year.

They are likely missing an experienced big to make a deep playoff run, but many NBA talking heads think they'll package some picks and a player to get someone later in the season when a team realizes they can't make the playoffs and need to rebuild.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I actually think much of the ugliness is by design and is encouraged and the flames are fanned on a continual basis....but that is another tangent.....

Yes the Thunder are really good this year. So far Presti's long term plan with draft picks seems to be working as intended.
Presti has made some very good draft picks recently, but he's also missed a couple of times when combining picks to move up in the draft.

Poku (2 first round picks) would have a hard time scoring in a church league game, and Dieng (3 first round picks) seems to be perpetually hurt, lost and confused.

Dieng is 20. He has his moments. A lot of basketball people think he’s waiting to breakout.

Poku does suck. Can’t stay healthy.

But that's biggest problem....having lots of draft picks means they are willing to part with a super star and go young (and cheap) meaning this team will never achieve enough growth and development together to get to the point of being able to contend for an NBA title. OKC isn't a destination for high profile FAs to come in and build a champion. Russ was the last guy you could do that around and lure great FAs to come in and contend. SGA is a superstar but do we really see him as a lure to another great player. And I hate the collusion between FAs to go to a single place and build a super team. I have always been of the opinion, the NBA, more than any other league, absolutely need a hard salary cap.

How many teams have built their success around original draft picks right now? Golden State around Steph, Klay, and THUG GREEN. Boston around Taytum, Brown, and White (and a couple of others). Milwaukee althought they've traded some of their pieces away so Giannis can act like Lebron and hand pick a team. Philly maybe although that team seems so discontent between little factions. I hate the Lakers with a passion but even moreso these days because of the Lebron factor and the ridiculousness around how that team is built and the blatant disregard for the cap.

Words. We’ll see how this goes. You can’t really argue with position the Thunder is in. They are way ahead of schedule.

Words. We’ll see how this goes. You can’t really argue with position the Thunder is in. They are way ahead of schedule.
Behind schedule if you take into account the Durant fiasco

Yes, they're, arguably, a top 5 team at the moment. They've beaten Denver twice this season, the favorite to win it all again this year.

They are likely missing an experienced big to make a deep playoff run, but many NBA talking heads think they'll package some picks and a player to get someone later in the season when a team realizes they can't make the playoffs and need to rebuild.
Take your word for it.. since they took fox sports ok off dish, i dont get the games and dont follow them.. if it werent for my son, i probably couldnt name a player (nor do i care to.. the whole music while the ball is in play thing turns me off).. the only reason i used to watch was because everyone in the office did ( but they didnt appreciate my take on the NBA as a business .. trade em all and reduce the payroll..)..

Take your word for it.. since they took fox sports ok off dish, i dont get the games and dont follow them.. if it werent for my son, i probably couldnt name a player (nor do i care to.. the whole music while the ball is in play thing turns me off).. the only reason i used to watch was because everyone in the office did ( but they didnt appreciate my take on the NBA as a business .. trade em all and reduce the payroll..)..
Yeah, I hardly watch because of the music during the games too. I mainly catch highlights, read about the league, and check power rankings.

I do enjoy watching the playoffs but have to mute it.

Yeah, I hardly watch because of the music during the games too. I mainly catch highlights, read about the league, and check power rankings.

I honestly havent been personally interested in the nba since bird/johnson in 87... although Jordans flu game was fun...

Would rather watch ACC and Big East (catholic 7) games than the NBA..

Behind schedule if you take into account the Durant fiasco

But (i) you don’t pay attention to NBA and (ii) I think the better analogy is like how your favorite team OSU was behind schedule after the time Eddie Sutton got peeing on a playground.

“I haven’t paid attention to anything since 1987, but also I have strong opinions on the topic” pretty much sums up noble cane’s entire posting history on these message boards.

I honestly like Noble. I just don’t understand the pushback from some about the Thunder being good.

It’s this board. People can’t like nice things. I realize someone will eventually figure this team out and they’ll lose some games, but right now it’s really exciting to watch. It feels like old times.

I do wonder how this goes when they eventually swap some picks for big guys. But I don’t know what that will look like. No one can stop Jokic. They may be better off the way they are.

But (i) you don’t pay attention to NBA and (ii) I think the better analogy is like how your favorite team OSU was behind schedule after the time Eddie Sutton got peeing on a playground.

I’m going to have to take Noble’s side on this one. He talks nonstop about his beloved Sooners. I doubt he’s an OSU fan.

Seriously.. i thought we had this childishness behind us... .. we all know you secretly donate big bucks to Lamar.

“I haven’t paid attention to anything since 1987, but also I have strong opinions on the topic” pretty much sums up noble cane’s entire posting history on these message boards.
You cant avoid the coverage.. no one talks tulsa basketball in the break room.. so you have to at least be able to give some opiods to the masses..

I honestly like Noble. I just don’t understand the pushback from some about the Thunder being good.
Are they good? Seriously?.. i get the sunshine pump from the okc sports casters, but i havent watched them since they took them off dish.

I do wonder how this goes when they eventually swap some picks for big guys. But I don’t know what that will look like. No one can stop Jokic. They may be better off the way they are.
I think you watch and follow more closely than I do so I appreciate your insights.

My thinking, and it's mostly from reading about the team, is that they'll want a big or two come playoff time so they can have better matchups in a series. Primarily due to the amount of size of the other top teams in the west.

But it has been exciting to see them off to such a hot start and beating teams that they weren't expected to. And I love checking box scores and seeing them just crush teams in the bottom half of the league. It's fun.

I will only watch when the Celtics are on and at that it's usually 5-6 minutes here or there to see how they're doing. Playoffs I might watch a little more in games involving the Celtics but I can honestly say I didn't watch a minute of the NBA Finals last year and until someone on here mentioned who won, I honestly couldn't remember.

When the Thunder had Westbrook and Adams and PG, I would catch them a bit more. Adams was one of my favorite players to watch. Sad day when he left OKC.

Are they good? Seriously?.. i get the sunshine pump from the okc sports casters, but i havent watched them since they took them off dish.
They're a top 4 team in the west but probably won't seriously contend for a title. Denver is really good and the NBA would never let a team from OKC be better than King Lebron and the Lakers. Mark my words, the Lakers won't miss the playoffs this season if it's close.

I'll be honest, I had to go on the ESPN app and look up the west standings. It is really weird seeing them lined up the way they are.

Adams would be an ideal pickup for OKC, but he has bad contract through next season and is out for the year. Memphis has been crap without Morant.

I keep thinking OKC will figure out how to trade cap space for Westbrook, George, and more draft picks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT