ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation and a recession are now here :(

Destroying Trump might have been unnecessary if he wasn't voted in by Republicans in the first place.
unlike most politicians, trump is, you get what you see. personality aside, what did trump do, that he was so hated? we were muddling through covid.

joe took over and now gas is $5, inflstion is out of sight, shelves are empty, gov spending is out of control, mandates have cost jobs. oposition censorship, we are no longer the leader of the free world, the border is a mess,

I recall a dumb attorney on this board sounding this alarm almost two years ago. Predicting the continued printing of money would result in run away inflation which would hurt the most vulnerable. Predicting the long term harm would dwarf any short term relief for this group.

Reactions: TUMe and URedskin54
Yep. It's something lots of people with a very basic understanding of economics said would happen, yet we did it several times and purposely overshot the output gap. Another failure of our credentialed expert class.

I recall a dumb attorney on this board sounding this alarm almost two years ago. Predicting the continued printing of money would result in run away inflation which would hurt the most vulnerable. Predicting the long term harm would dwarf any short term relief for this group.
If it was only the US, then I would agree with you.

If it was only the US, then I would agree with you.
US inflation rate continues to run over 2 points higher than the EU. EU implemented stimulus as well btw. However, they didn’t do a spring 2021 payment like the US. We overshot the mark. Something a lot of us predicted.

Last edited:
US inflation rate continues to run over 2 points higher than the EU. EU implemented stimulus as well btw. However, they didn’t do a spring 2021 payment like the US. We overshot the mark. Something a lot of us predicted.
I'm not sure which metric you're referring to, but if we're comparing CPI to HICP, they account for things differently which has an effect. Namely HICP (the EU's core inflation measure) omits imputed rent, and rent is a huge component of the CPI.

The countries that had the worst of covid have all emerged in a poor state afterwards. India is a single point behind us. Brazil is 3 points ahead of us. Russia was trending towards 8% by last September. Mexico (~7%) is in line with us. So is Indonesia. (~6%). The states that aren't in line tend to be places like Australia, Japan, and SK who all had better responses and much lighter effects from Covid. Those are all G20 members.

The only major country that I don't see struggling with inflation in China who put authoritarian controls on literally every aspect of life and material production and is still doing so.

The second stimulus isn't as much of an issue as you make it out to be. It's just a spear you can use to jab the party you don't like. The real problem is a world trying to emerge from a pandemic and rebuild global supply chains that took decades to construct within a few months. (Add to that materials shortages and geopolitical conflicts)

Last edited:
the panbemic; shared by the world.
our high gas prices and dependency; self inflicted.
our inflation; fueled by gas priced.

I'm not sure which metric you're referring to, but if we're comparing CPI to HICP, they account for things differently which has an effect. Namely HICP (the EU's core inflation measure) omits imputed rent, and rent is a huge component of the CPI.

The countries that had the worst of covid have all emerged in a poor state afterwards. India is a single point behind us. Brazil is 3 points ahead of us. Russia was trending towards 8% by last September. Mexico (~7%) is in line with us. So is Indonesia. (~6%). The states that aren't in line tend to be places like Australia, Japan, and SK who all had better responses and much lighter effects from Covid. Those are all G20 members.

The only major country that I don't see struggling with inflation in China who put authoritarian controls on literally every aspect of life and material production and is still doing so.

The second stimulus isn't as much of an issue as you make it out to be. It's just a spear you can use to jab the party you don't like. The real problem is a world trying to emerge from a pandemic and rebuild global supply chains that took decades to construct within a few months. (Add to that materials shortages and geopolitical conflicts)
When you try to compare the US economically to the likes of Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, etc instead of the of Germany, UK, France you’ve lost the argument.

We are still exporting gas.
When you try to compare the US economically to the likes of Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, etc instead of the of Germany, UK, France you’ve lost the argument.
I did compare the US to Germany UK and France. All of those countries use HICP to gauge inflation. It is calculated differently than CPI which could explain a good deal of the difference you're alluding to. I then proceeded to compare to most of the other G20 nations who are in the same boat.

in 2018 we were exporting gas. and 2019, 2020. dec pump price dec 2020 2.25. dec 2021 3.18 (post biden attack on oil ) and now 4.50 and begging for imports.
So was George Bush 'attacking oil' when prices went up significantly during his administration? The reason for low oil prices during Trump's presidency was the Obama administration's easing of the sanctions on Iran. That tanked the price of a barrel of oil and oil didn't recover because of the oversupply situation.

You post a dumb statistic from December 2020 during the absolute height of the second wave of Coronavirus. Demand for oil and gas had fallen through the floor and we were producing next to nothing. We were just running out the oversupply to satiate what demand did remain during covid as we laid off 3/4th's of the oil industry. (That happened under Trump btw).

So was George Bush 'attacking oil' when prices went up significantly during his administration? The reason for low oil prices during Trump's presidency was the Obama administration's easing of the sanctions on Iran. That tanked the price of a barrel of oil and oil didn't recover because of the oversupply situation.

You post a dumb statistic from December 2020 during the absolute height of the second wave of Coronavirus. Demand for oil and gas had fallen through the floor and we were producing next to nothing. We were just running out the oversupply to satiate what demand did remain during covid as we laid off 3/4th's of the oil industry. (That happened under Trump btw).
jan 2021, the war on fossel fuels began. lots of gov regulations forced on the oil industy resulted in less production just as we were recovering from hibernation.

I did compare the US to Germany UK and France. All of those countries use HICP to gauge inflation. It is calculated differently than CPI which could explain a good deal of the difference you're alluding to. I then proceeded to compare to most of the other G20 nations who are in the same boat.
CPI?

Maybe some light reading

Amazon product ASIN 0465060730

Last edited:
jan 2021, the war on fossel fuels began. lots of gov regulations forced on the oil industy resulted in less production just as we were recovering from hibernation.
Less production? Production didn't go down in 2021.

CPI?

Maybe some light reading

I don't have any idea what your point is. France and Germany don't use that statistic.

You keep pointing to statistics that don't actually mean anything other than everyone in the world are seeing inflation rates that they haven't seen in 40+ years. Blaming that on US policy is just dumb.

I don't have any idea what your point is. France and Germany don't use that statistic.

You keep pointing to statistics that don't actually mean anything other than everyone in the world are seeing inflation rates that they haven't seen in 40+ years. Blaming that on US policy is just dumb.
You said the UK doesn’t use the CPI which is why you used a country like Mexico in your example. I provided you the CPI for the UK. A correction and apples to apples is the point. Again…we are running 2 points above Europe and have been for the last year. We also injected more money into our economy than the EU….by a significant amount. Read the basic economics book :)

I didn’t simply get lucky when I predicted rapid inflation from printing trillions and trillions of dollars.

Last edited:
You said the UK doesn’t use the CPI which is why you used a country like Mexico in your example. I provided you the CPI for the UK. A correction and apples to apples is the point. Again…we are running 2 points above Europe and have been for the last year. We also injected more money into our economy than the EU….by a significant amount. Read the basic economics book :)

I didn’t simply get lucky when I predicted rapid inflation from printing trillions and trillions of dollars.
I said the EU doesn't use CPI. The UK is not in the EU.

Everyone predicted inflation and it wasn't because of stimulus checks. It was because Covid restrictions limited production of both raw materials and consumer products. The vast majority of the inflation we're seeing now is due to that fact. A very small portion can be attributed to a single extra stimulus payment, and the alternative to that stimulus payment might have been a depression combined with a pandemic.

Let's take a quick comment from the European Central Bank:

Prepared by Sofía Cuquerella Ricarte, Ramon Gomez-Salvador and Gerrit Koester

Published as part of the ECB Economic Bulletin, Issue 1/2022.

Items affected by supply disruptions and bottlenecks and by the reopening of the economy play an important role as drivers of inflation excluding food and energy in the euro area and the United States. As illustrated in Chart B, one important factor in the differences in inflation excluding food and energy between the United States and the euro area is rents, which contribute much more strongly to inflation in the United States. This is in part linked to the fact that rents have recorded substantially stronger growth in the United States, but it also reflects the larger share of rents in the US consumption basket, which includes not only actual rents but also imputed rents for owner-occupied housing. While the impact of rents can help to explain differences in the level of inflation between the euro area and the United States, including before the pandemic, the high level of inflation excluding food and energy observed recently has been driven mainly by supply disruptions and bottlenecks and by effects related to the reopening of the economy. Supply chain bottlenecks have particularly affected prices for used and new cars, and car components, as well as household furnishings and equipment. In the United States, the prices for this group of items soared during the second quarter of 2021 and, after briefly easing, regained momentum in the last quarter of 2021. In particular, used car prices alone accounted for around 1.6 percentage points of CPI inflation less food and energy in December. Overall, items affected by supply disruptions and bottlenecks made a contribution of 2.6 percentage points to the annual growth rate of core CPI inflation in the United States in December (Chart D), whereas the average monthly contribution of this aggregate of items in 2015-19 had been marginally negative. In the euro area, the role of this aggregate has also increased – but its monthly contribution to HICPX inflation remained around 0.5 to 0.6 percentage points up to December 2021 and, thus, substantially smaller than in the United States (Chart B). Additionally, the prices of some goods and services have rebounded owing to the reopening of the economy, with their levels returning to or even exceeding pre-crisis levels. In the United States, this rebound is visible in prices for apparel and, among services, in prices for travel-related services and transportation, which have all risen strongly following the easing of containment measures. This contributed substantially to core CPI inflation in the second quarter of 2021 and remained significant in the last quarter, at around 0.7 to 0.8 percentage points in year-on-year terms (compared with a historical contribution of 0.04 percentage points). In the euro area, the contribution from such reopening effects only started to increase from late summer – in part linked to the later lifting of containment measures – but in recent months it has been similar in size to the contribution seen in the United States.

Turning to the underlying drivers of inflation developments, the United States is more advanced in the business cycle than the euro area and the US labour market has tightened, which has started to be reflected in some upward pressure on wages. Real GDP had already surpassed its pre-crisis level in the United States in the second quarter of 2021 – while in the euro area GDP reached its pre-crisis level only in the fourth quarter of 2021. In the United States, labour market tightness has increased sharply over recent months and the employment cost index for civilian workers has shown a relatively large increase (Chart C). This stands in contrast to the euro area, where so far wage growth – as measured by negotiated wages or, for example, the labour cost index – has remained quite subdued. It should be kept in mind that wage indicators are being distorted by the effects of the crisis, including the important role of job retention schemes, especially in the euro area, which complicates their interpretation.

You did indeed include the UK and I posted the CPI for the same. We have been running two points higher than the UK and the rest of Europe. Your conjecture of a depression is unfounded as we didn’t see anything of the sort in Europe

You included the UK and I posted the CPI for the same. We have been running two points higher than the UK and the rest of Europe. Your conjecture of a depression is unfounded as we didn’t see anything of the sort in Europe
Read the article. Ask the European economists why there are differences.

You included the UK and I posted the CPI for the same. We have been running two points higher than the UK and the rest of Europe. Your conjecture of a depression is unfounded as we didn’t see anything of the sort in Europe
As far as depression goes, Europe has a much more robust social welfare system than the US does they are more prepared to take care of people who are struggling, so while they may not have enacted a further stimulus, the fact that their citizens weren't contributing as much to their economy, cost them more than it would have in the US where we don't fund as many social programs. (Like government healthcare)

I’m amused that there are people in the US who think that passing multiple trillion dollar stimulus bills causes no inflationary pressure. Luckily there are plenty of people in the Democratic Party who do see the issue, evidenced by that Ezra Klein interview with Larry Summers. No doubt there are multiple causes, but come on

Last edited:
Hell…I’m just happy you’ve finally admitted the fact that inflation has been and still is higher in the US than in Europe. Instead of the arguing about indexes, the UK, CPI, etc. I will be happy to read up on the various reasons now you’ve come over to the dark side. The idea of adding trillions upon trillions of dollars into the economy doesn’t cause inflationary pressure does amuse me

Hell…I’m just happy you’ve finally admitted the fact that inflation has been and still is higher in the US than in Europe. Instead of the arguing about indexes, the UK, CPI, etc. I will be happy to read up on the various reasons now you’ve come over to the dark side. The idea of adding trillions upon trillions of dollars into the economy doesn’t cause inflationary pressure does amuse me
I've admitted that there are different inflationary indexes that measure different things. If Europe existed on the same economic cycle we did, and their indexes measured the same things, then they would have shown higher inflation more in line with ours. The only difference they have is that they have higher fuel costs and mobility costs.

What you have been saying about the stimulus packages being the initiator of this inflation is plain wrong. wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. A contributor? Sure. But we would still be seeing significant, problematic inflation regardless of whether there was a stimulus bill passed or not, and the consequences for doing nothing could have been very bad. Most people were worried about coming out of Covid like we came out of the 2008 recession, which took years and caused mountains of complaints by yourself and others.

I’ve been sounding the warning for months. Appears some are starting to listen. The question is will Joe continue to keep his head in the sand ?
Inflation numbers coming out tomorrow are likely to shock some. Above is my post I made on May 12, 2021. Buckle up. Business bankruptcies will soon begin to rapidly rise. Especially small businesses who were already hit hard by forced government shutdowns. Big corporations will benefit in the long run as their competition is eliminated. The lower and middle classes will feel the inflation tax the most as they struggle to afford life’s necessities. It’s going to get much worse before it gets better.

Given the expected action by the Feds and current state of the economy, I see a recession looming as we head into 2023.

Given the expected action by the Feds and current state of the economy, I see a recession looming as we head into 2023.
That's the goal of raising interest rates.

Hopefully it works out and we aren't in for something extended.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT