ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation and a recession are now here :(

We just had our his best growth in decades. Yes, that rate would be bad, but itā€™s a symptom we havenā€™t yet seen.
Growth was from companies opening back up as well as building back inventory. Looks like once weā€™re fully back open and inventories restored there wonā€™t be much actual growth. Hoping the Fedā€™s are wrong. 0.1% with high inflation would be an ominous combination.

Growth was from companies opening back up as well as building back inventory. Looks like once weā€™re fully back open and inventories restored there wonā€™t be much actual growth. Hoping the Fedā€™s are wrong. 0.1% with high inflation would be an ominous combination.
The future projection is accounting for the severity of Omicron though, which is beginning to wain. Even if we do have a slow point in Q1, I would expect a better Q2.... unless the rate increases just tank things, but that's a fed decision.

They're also probably accounting for Biden's BBB plan falling through which would have spurred growth (though obviously at a cost)

The future projection is accounting for the severity of Omicron though, which is beginning to wain. Even if we do have a slow point in Q1, I would expect a better Q2.... unless the rate increases just tank things, but that's a fed decision.

They're also probably accounting for Biden's BBB plan falling through which would have spurred growth (though obviously at a cost)
they finally were honest and just called it a SPENDING bill.

yes. but usually with spending you have something to show for it. This one was just give away.
šŸ„ŗšŸ˜”
Has not got enough sense to tell what it has or doesn't have, in order to assess whether it has something to show for itā€¦

many want to establish a Living Wage. What is that?
what kind of job is it? How many hours? do all workers get the same(good workers vs bad workers), is it the same in Idaho as it is in NY.

many want to establish a Living Wage. What is that?
what kind of job is it? How many hours? do all workers get the same(good workers vs bad workers), is it the same in Idaho as it is in NY.
If you work 40 hours a week, your time should be worth enough to pay for your room, board, utilities and health care if you require it. You should not be required to work more than a normal work week to afford to live.

If you work 40 hours a week, your time should be worth enough to pay for your room, board, utilities and health care if you require it. You should not be required to work more than a normal work week to afford to live.
Not every job is worth lw or mw.
Not every employee is worth lw or mw.

government controlled lw and mw makes the government a union.

NOT THEIR JOB!!!

Not every job is worth lw or mw.
Not every employee is worth lw or mw.

government controlled lw and mw makes the government a union.

NOT THEIR JOB!!!
What you just described is literally slavery. Heck, even the slaves who had no education or job skills were boarded, fed, and clothed.

I suppose all of those minimum wage workers should just thank their lucky stars that the McDonalds manager isn't given a whip along with his visor. Maybe if we gave him the whip back we could justify the McD's workers making enough to actually live on.

Last edited:
What you just described is literally slavery. Heck, even the slaves who had no education or job skills were boarded, fed, and clothed.

I suppose all of those minimum wage workers should just thank their lucky stars that the McDonalds manager isn't given a whip along with his visor. Maybe if we gave him the whip back we could justify the McD's workers making enough to actually live on.
if you are working at mcdonalds and are not happy with your pay, it is your responsibility to increase your skill set so you can get a better job.

There are expenses to not allowing someone a living wage. Food stamps are one. A medical system with ridiculous premiums is another. You pay for not having a living wage one way or another, through taxes paying for welfare and through insurance premiums. That kind of inequity always gets spread out amongst the people one way or another. It is just an issue of whether taxes and premiums cover it, or higher prices for the burger covers it.

And before you go trying to cut out welfare or dictating to the medical industry to turn people away if they can't pay... One, we are not that kind of country(we never have been, despite ignorant people like you) and two, insurance premiums won't come down with the difficult to enter market place, not with the monopolistic practices of the insurance firms already there. The problem is the burger will become prohibitive due to cost, and people won't buy it. That destroys markets. We don't really have a choice but to stick with the system we already have.

This inequity is the reason different forms of government exist. That's why people like Marx wrote books. They were trying to find new approaches to systems that would fix this problem.

if you are working at mcdonalds and are not happy with your pay, it is your responsibility to increase your skill set so you can get a better job.
And what if you are not able to? Your time and energy is not worth you making enough to be kept alive?

stand on your own two feet and dont rely on the gov. for those who really cant. there are chsrities. the gov isnt a charity.
So now youā€™re not able to make ends meet because your employer is paying you at sub-slavery levels, and youā€™re also not supposed to get help from the government.

Itā€™s funny how many people that say theyā€™re standing on their own two feet were never in a situation that deprived them of the ability to stand. Theyā€™re the ones I hope break their legs someday just so they know how the rest of society is forced to live.

"Rebel, overthrow your masters, take the initiative and seize the wealth for yourself."
the purpose of a compamy is to produce goods or provide services. It will hire people who can help them achieve that goal. The job will pay based on the value of the job and the employee to the company. Employees are not slaves, they are free to quit and go somewhere else.

the purpose of a compamy is to produce goods or provide services. It will hire people who can help them achieve that goal. The job will pay based on the value of the job and the employee to the company. Employees are not slaves, they are free to quit and go somewhere else.
And work for less than slave wages at another place.

The freedom to change jobs does not mean that paying a worker less than it takes them to subsist themselves isnā€™t wrong.

Peopleā€™s time is inherently valuable. I donā€™t care if the ā€˜jobā€™ youā€™re asking someone to do is sit in a room and stare at a clock for 8 hours a day, youā€™re still taking time out of their lives, and that time is worth approximately the same amount that they need to stay alive.

Last edited:
Agree with Aston minus the racial hyperbole :)

Any adult who works 40 hours a week should be able to afford the necessities. What I donā€™t agree with is the one size fits all solution set forth by most of my friends on the left. A few ideas to chew on :

1). $15 minimum base line wage which is adjusted up or down depending on the cost of living in your area. NYC shouldnā€™t have the same minimum wage requirements as Sapulpa.

2). 90 day grace period before minimum kicks in for training purposes. Most employees are a net drain during the first months of their employment.

3). Some protection for small retail and service businesses. Not sure how this is structured but these businesses are already struggling with small margins. Paying the same net as say Walmart will run them out of business and allow the conglomerates to gain even more market share.

I have the honor to speak to high school seniors a couple times a year about careers, business plans, and at times just life in general. I give a brief speech then spend most of the time fielding questions or reviewing business plans. I tell them the keys to success:
1). Be self motivated
2). Learn how to solve problems
3). Strive to be the best at whatever you do

One of our failings as a society imo is not giving real world work (career) advice to our young people.

Iā€™m not a big fan of adults working retail or food service. I have a very close friend who manages a Kohls store. Makes good money but hours arenā€™t ideal and getting people to show up to work is a struggle.

There are people who simply lack motivation. I have several. I understand work wonā€™t be a priority for many but donā€™t post FB pics of your night out then call in sick for the third time this week the next am. Youā€™re always going to live paycheck to paycheck (assuming you have one) with this mindset.

Lack of problem solving ability is a huge problem I see with the current workforce. Not sure if itā€™s our educational system or simply of lack of intelligence. Probable some of both. The point is to pick an area of work which plays to your strengths. Everyone has strengths. Highlight them

End of rant

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Any adult who works 40 hours a week should be able to afford the necessities. What I donā€™t agree with is the one size fits all solution set forth by most of my friends on the left. A few ideas to chew on :

1). $15 minimum base line wage which is adjusted up or down depending on the cost of living in your area. NYC shouldnā€™t have the same minimum wage requirements as Sapulpa.

2). 90 day grace period before minimum kicks in for training purposes. Most employees are a net drain during the first months of their employment.

3). Some protection for small retail and service businesses. Not sure how this is structured but these businesses are already struggling with small margins. Paying the same net as say Walmart will run them out of business and allow the conglomerates to gain even more market share.

I have the honor to speak to high school seniors a couple times a year about careers, business plans, and at times just life in general. I give a brief speech then spend most of the time fielding questions or reviewing business plans. I tell them the keys to success:
1). Be self motivated

One of our failings as a society imo is not giving real world work (career) advice to our young people.

Iā€™m not a big fan of adults working retail or food service. I have a very close friend who manages a Kohls store. Makes good money but hours arenā€™t ideal and getting people to show up to work is a struggle.

There are people who simply lack motivation. I have several. I understand work wonā€™t be a priority for many but donā€™t post FB pics of your night out then call in sick for the third time this week the next am. Youā€™re always going to live paycheck to paycheck (assuming you have one) with this mindset.

Lack of problem solving ability is a huge problem I see with the current workforce. Not sure if itā€™s our educational system or simply of lack of intelligence. Probable some of both. The point is to pick an area of work which plays to your strengths. Everyone has strengths. Highlight them

End of rant
Slaves aren't always of another race, just usually. I don't get racial issues within this context.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Slaves aren't always of another race, just usually. I don't get racial issues within this context.
Probably shouldnā€™t have added the racial component. I assume when Aston speaks of slavery heā€™s making a racial reference even if itā€™s inferred

And work for less than slave wages at another place.

The freedom to change jobs does not mean that paying a worker less than it takes them to subsist themselves isnā€™t wrong.

Peopleā€™s time is inherently valuable. I donā€™t care if the ā€˜jobā€™ youā€™re asking someone to do is sit in a room and stare at a clock for 8 hours a day, youā€™re still taking time out of their lives, and that time is worth approximately the same amount that they need to stay alive.

the basic question is why do some people only make mw? lack of experience
lack of skills. lack of work ethic.
To help people make more is not for the gov to raise mw, but for the people to take responsility for them selves.

the govermment is not the answer.

1). Be self motivated

End of rant
Doesnā€™t some of Europe have a model where the minimum wage for youths is lower than the minimum for adults? I would tend to support that.

Doesnā€™t some of Europe have a model where the minimum wage for youths is lower than the minimum for adults? I would tend to support that.
I believe Ireland does. Not sure about the other countries as minimum wage laws differ from country to country. I purposely limited my statement to adults. A part time 16 year old should be treated differently than an adult trying to support himself and possibly his/her family

I donā€™t intend to necessarily compare African American slaves other than to say that there were some basic subsistence items that American slaves were givenā€¦ however other slaves in other times and places were afforded similar. The only real difference we see today is the freedom to move to different labor tasks and the ability for your employer (or owner) to punish you / control your social status. The same would apply to indentured servants who werenā€™t African American.
I believe Ireland does. Not sure about the other countries as minimum wage laws differ from country to country. I purposely limited my statement to adults. A part time 16 year old should be treated differently than an adult trying to support himself and possibly his/her family
Agreed. I do think there are some youths who are forced to provide for themselves though, so I think there should be some emancipatory ability for those youths who want to be treated as adults to prove that they should be. I also think it should come with increased expectation from the employer though.

Last edited:
Comparing slaves to todays workers minimizes the plight of slaves throughout history imo. In todays employment environment, workers have a great deal of options including the right to negotiate with your current employer for higher wages or going next door for employment. Worker shortages are very real. At least in this area of the country. If youā€™re dependable and self motivated your services are in demand and valued by most employers. Now the tide may turn again toward employers but for now employees have as much negotiated power as Iā€™ve seen in my lifetimeā€¦.and thatā€™s not a bad thing.

Comparing slaves to todays workers minimizes the plight of slaves throughout history imo. In todays employment environment, workers have a great deal of options including the right to negotiate with your current employer for higher wages or going next door for employment. Worker shortages are very real. At least in this area of the country. If youā€™re dependable and self motivated your services are in demand and valued by most employers. Now the tide may turn again toward employers but for now employees have as much negotiated power as Iā€™ve seen in my lifetimeā€¦.and thatā€™s not a bad thing.
I agree that at the current moment, yes employees have power, but this is a once in a 40 year circumstance. I certainly think that ALL workers arenā€™t in the same situation as an slaves in past eras. But the people at the bottom of our society in terms of earning power are typically treated effectively as wage slaves, simply to extract their labor. Many of those people actually have somewhat recent ancestors who were slaves.

My wife worked at Kohlā€™s and Iā€™m quite positive that she worked harder and at more inconvenient times with more ridiculous expectations than I have in two professional jobs. Despite her hard work and showing up to work at ridiculous times of day there was no incentive for her employer to pay her a wage that would subsist her. Obviously my professional setting might be worth more in terms of $$$ but that doesnā€™t mean that she should make 1/10th the wage for 10x the effort.

If I had a heart attack tomorrow and there were no other jobs available in her vicinity besides minimum wage, she shouldnā€™t need to work multiple jobs to have shelter, food, clothing, and health. Heck, my mom had an above minimum wage job requiring a degree as a teacher and still had to work two jobs to support herself and her child.

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
I agree that at the current moment, yes employees have power, but this is a once in a 40 year circumstance. I certainly think that ALL workers arenā€™t in the same situation as an slaves in past eras. But the people at the bottom of our society are typically treated effectively as wage slaves, simply to extract their labor. My wife worked at Kohlā€™s and Iā€™m quite positive that she worked harder and at more inconvenient times with more ridiculous expectations than I have in two professional jobs. Obviously my professional setting might be worth more in terms of $$$ but that doesnā€™t mean that she shouldnā€™t have been able to support herself if something happened to me.

If I had a heart attack tomorrow and there were no other jobs available in her vicinity besides minimum wage, she shouldnā€™t need to work multiple jobs to have shelter, food, clothing, and health.
When I speak to the high school kids I try not to speak poorly of any line of work. However, I do tell them to avoid retail and food service in their adult life if at all possible. Itā€™s just a tough way to make what in most cases is a lower wage living. Not to mention you donā€™t develop a specific skill which makes you valuable to another employer.

Career education is lacking with our young people. They need guidance on paths and opportunities. Easy to set a career path when your in your early 20s. Much more difficult in your 40s.

Most companies will value dependable, smart and driven workers. If you work for a company which doesnā€™t, find a new company. Lots a people out there will reward those types of workers. They are hard to find.

maybe we need two wage systems.
One for the self reliant achievers, and one for the governmemt sheeple.

And dont penalize achievers for their success to support the sheeple.

When I speak to the high school kids I try not to speak poorly of any line of work. However, I do tell them to avoid retail and food service in their adult life if at all possible. Itā€™s just a tough way to make what in most cases is a lower wage living. Not to mention you donā€™t develop a specific skill which makes you valuable to another employer.

Career education is lacking with our young people. They need guidance on paths and opportunities. Easy to set a career path when your in your early 20s. Much more difficult in your 40s.

Most companies will value dependable, smart and driven workers. If you work for a company which doesnā€™t, find a new company. Lots a people out there will reward those types of workers. They are hard to find.
To be clear my wife has a degree. She just needed something to do to get her out of the house. Sheā€™s since moved into her degree field. But for many people thatā€™s not a reality.

Especially when jobs are more scarce.

To be clear my wife has a degree. She just needed something to do to get her out of the house. Sheā€™s since moved into her degree field. But for many people thatā€™s not a reality.

Especially when jobs are more scarce.
Gotcha. As I said above, adults who need to support themselves or others should generally avoid retail. This sentiment would apply even with an increase in the minimum wage. Too many other areas where one can develop a valuable skill set which results in financial benefits which far outweigh those found in retail.

If I had a heart attack tomorrow and there were no other jobs available in her vicinity besides minimum wage, she shouldnā€™t need to work multiple jobs to have shelter, food, clothing, and health. Heck, my mom had an above minimum wage job requiring a degree as a teacher and still had to work two jobs to support herself and her child.
Employees have a bit more power than pre-Covid but not enough to offset the stagnation in wages over several decades. In real terms the differences in growth of professional income outstripped basic wages, and both pale in comparison to the growth in top corporate incomes and the top 1%. The concept that one's income is a measure of how hard they worked or how purely they led their lives is a myth. Some of us won the birth lottery and took advantage of it, which is a hard lead for anyone to overcome. Look at Trump who was given $200+M and would be richer now if he had just put it in the market, but some are convinced he is a business genius. Go figure.

Last edited:
Employees have a bit more power than pre-Covid but not enough to offset the stagnation in wages over several decades. In real terms the differences in growth professional income is outstripped basic wages, and both pale in comparison to the growth in top corporate incomes and the top 1%. The concept that one's income is a measure of how hard they worked or how purely they led their lives is a myth. Some of us won the birth lottery and took advantage of it, which is a hard lead for anyone to overcome. Look at Trump who was given $200+M and would be richer now if he had just put it in the market, but some are convinced he is a business genius. Go figure.
Most of this is simply not true and it perpetuates the myth that one cannot succeed it he/she works hard and makes smart choices. The whole thereā€™s nothing you can do about your situation excuse is tiresome. I canā€™t imagine having the mindset of some that there is nothing I can do about my situation or future.

The link below is median wages adjusted for inflation for your review.

Most of this is simply not true and it perpetuates the myth that one cannot succeed it he/she works hard and makes smart choices. The whole thereā€™s nothing you can do about your situation excuse is tiresome. I canā€™t imagine having the mindset of some that there is nothing I can do about my situation or future.

The link below is median wages adjusted for inflation for your review.

Hard work is necessary to have a more productive employment, but hard work does not guarantee more productive employment. You can work very hard and get nothing for it.

Some people simply arenā€™t cut out to advance in the workforce. The world needs worker ants. That doesnā€™t mean that the worker ants should starve.

Hard work is necessary to have a more productive employment, but hard work does not guarantee more productive employment. You can work very hard and get nothing for it.

Some people simply arenā€™t cut out to advance in the workforce. The world needs worker ants. That doesnā€™t mean that the worker ants should starve.
Where did I say hard work guarantees more productive employment or even financial success? I challenged WATU ramble that itā€™s a myth that income is not related to how hard one works. There is a direct correlation if one looks at our society in general. Will there be people who work hard and arenā€™t properly rewarded financially for various reasonsā€¦.absolutely. Will there be people who choose not to work hard or consistently who are financially rewardedā€¦sure. However, these are not the norm. People who work hard and are motivated typically earn more than those who choose to work sporadically and/or not hard.

I do agree there are many in the workforce who have little interest in advancement. I have several who work for me. They are 9 to 5 and are generally content doing what theyā€™ve done for years. Donā€™t want another job or more responsibility. They are good people and an asset to any companyā€¦..and yes, they should be paid a living wage and in most places in fact do. Againā€¦.avoid retail and good service if providing for yourself and a family is a necessity :)

The message to young people that hard work and motivation will get you nowhere because you canā€™t overcome the system so why try goes all over me. A message which does tremendous damage to those who are most impressionable.

Last edited:
Where did I say hard work guarantees more productive employment or even financial success? I challenged WATU ramble that itā€™s a myth that income is not related to how hard one works. There is a direct correlation if one looks at our society in general. Will there be people who work hard and arenā€™t properly rewarded financially for various reasonsā€¦.absolutely. Will there be people who choose not to work hard or consistently who are financially rewardedā€¦sure. However, these are not the norm. People who work hard and are motivated typically earn more than those who choose to work sporadically and/or not hard.

I do agree there are many in the workforce who have little interest in advancement. I have several who work for me. They are 9 to 5 and are generally content doing what theyā€™ve done for years. Donā€™t want another job or more responsibility. They are good people and an asset to any companyā€¦..and yes, they should be paid a living wage and in most places in fact do. Againā€¦.avoid retail and good service if providing for yourself and a family is a necessity :)

The message to young people that hard work and motivation will get you nowhere because you canā€™t overcome the system so why try goes all over me. A message which does tremendous damage to those who are most impressionable.
I think making smart decisions is more important than the amount of effort you put in. ā€˜Think smarter, not harderā€™ will be the mantra I teach my children. Of course you can become too smart for your own good and it leads you into trouble. You have to learn the ramifications of that as well.

Reactions: lawpoke87

Or be considered second class citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT