ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation and a recession are now here :(

I show our current NG price at $5.90 while Europe’s is $15.49. Are these numbers accurate ?

I’m not sure what it would cost to keep a few coal plants operational. I do know the current situation will cost Europe billions and billions of dollars and possibly trillions if the spike has a long term effect on their economies. They entrusted their economic stability on Putin. Not sure what they were thinking. You keep sufficient capacity to ensure against this type of situation.
If you haven’t checked, coal prices have spiked too. They’ve doubled in comparison to what they have been in the last 10 years. The reason for the disparity in all non-renewable energy prices is because we have a supply and they don’t.

biden tries to fix the supply chain, and employment chaos.

just cut off gov mandates and let people go back to work.

Last edited:
biden tries to fix the supply chain, and employment chaos.

just cut off gov mandates and let people go back to work.
All your bitching and they cut off the excess unemployment benefits for a month. That hasn't changed the unemployment numbers yet.

We'll see if the number of unemployed just needs a little more time to pass with extra benefits not being given. Or this could be a longer lasting problem, not tied heavily to those benefits.

Reactions: astonmartin708
All your bitching and they cut off the excess unemployment benefits for a month. That hasn't changed the unemployment numbers yet.

We'll see if the number of unemployed just needs a little more time to pass with extra benefits not being given. Or this could be a longer lasting problem, not tied heavily to those benefits.
it starts with the Mandates.
But quoting Jerry Maguire "Follow the Money"

That’s on top of the fact that many red states cut off their benefits back in the spring and they’re still seeing the employment problems.

what happened? up until January, we were recovering from cabin fever, we were energy independent, people were to getting vaccinated as their age group became eligible, groceries were affordable, a $13 piece of plywood didn't cost $90,

what happened? up until January, we were recovering from cabin fever, we were energy independent, people were to getting vaccinated as their age group became eligible, groceries were affordable, a $13 piece of plywood didn't cost $90,
Not drilling for any oil for most of 2020 caused a supply glut to become a supply shortage. Republicans decided that the vaccine was a democratic hoax. Groceries were already increasing in price, and lumbermills hadn't been working during covid. Got any more questions about global supply chains that you would like answered?

Not drilling for any oil for most of 2020 caused a supply glut to become a supply shortage. Republicans decided that the vaccine was a democratic hoax. Groceries were already increasing in price, and lumbermills hadn't been working during covid. Got any more questions about global supply chains that you would like answered?
No mention of the $6T the Fed’s have pumped into the marketplace over the past year ?

Below is the article I linked to start this thread over 5 months ago. Turned out to be dead on…unfortunately.

Last edited:
No mention of the $6T the Fed’s have pumped into the marketplace over the past year ?

Below is the article I linked to start this thread over 5 months ago. Turned out to be dead on…unfortunately.

How do you explain the inflation occurring in places that didn't pump as much money back in?

Or maybe we can finally realize that inflation has less to do with any one policy and more to do with the fact that a global pandemic limited the production and subsequent supply of marketplace goods and commodities. The pump didn't overheat. It went dry.

How do you explain the inflation occurring in places that didn't pump as much money back in?

Or maybe we can finally realize that inflation has less to do with any one policy and more to do with the fact that a global pandemic limited the production and subsequent supply of marketplace goods and commodities. The pump didn't overheat. It went dry.
The only commodity Europe has seen significant inflation is energy…at least compared to what we’ve seen in the US. Why….because they were more reserved in their stimulus. Pretty clear cut imo based on the numbers

The only commodity Europe has seen significant inflation is energy…at least compared to what we’ve seen in the US. Why….because they were more reserved in their stimulus. Pretty clear cut imo based on the numbers
Everything inflates with the cost of energy rising. That will happen in the US. It will happen in the EU. It will happen in China.

Look around. Everyone is experiencing different versions of the same thing. There are worker shortages in the UK. Same for Australia. Same in Germany. Belgium, Netherlands, France. They all hit record employment vacancies in Q2. France is short 40-50K freight drivers right now.

So far, their household products have been slower to increase, but they have a smaller area to transport things and less dependence on personal transit.

Everything inflates with the cost of energy rising. That will happen in the US. It will happen in the EU. It will happen in China.

Look around. Everyone is experiencing different versions of the same thing. There are worker shortages in the UK. Same for Australia. Same in Germany. Belgium, Netherlands, France. They all hit record employment vacancies in Q2. France is short 40-50K freight drivers right now.

So far, their household products have been slower to increase, but they have a smaller area to transport things and less dependence on personal transit.
I might buy that explanation other than the fact that higher fuel (transportation) costs have never resulted in the inflationary difference we’ve seen in the US compared to Europe. Hint….might want to look at that extra $2T we threw into the money supply which Europe didn’t this spring. The exact time inflation exploded here yet remained under control in Europe.

If the US would cut its import taxes on Chinese goods, it would reduce inflationary pressures too. The Trump tariffs are an inflationary tax on Americans. Those tariffs did not reduce our trade deficit with China rather it went up dramatically.

Last edited:
I’m not against a new trade agreement with China btw. It needs to be equitable and protect domestic production.

No tariffs, but also let’s incentivize investment and trade with any place other than that commie hell hole

We have to protect our industries for various reasons…see current computer chip production. Trade with countries where workers are paid 1/10th of what they make in the US is problematic for obvious reasons.

There are narrow national security cases where protectionism can be justified (food production, defense, etc.) but in most cases it’s just a racket.

we dont need opec if we just restart our domestic production and our oil pipe lines.

Restart what, oil & gas prices are up, we are already restarted. Opec will affect prices no matter whether production in the states is up or down. Once again, you haven't got a clue.

unemployment
inflation
empty shelves
mandates
people getting fired
travel bans
snatch and grab
rising debt
new american civil war

Build Back Better?

We will see similar actions across the board from retailers beginning Jan 1.

joes solution to inflation is to raise the mw.

the solution is jobs, people working, production, choices, less government intervention,

joes solution to inflation is to raise the mw.

the solution is jobs, people working, production, choices, less government intervention,
You do know that joblessness is at an all time low right? Lol

BTW, America is most definitely not the only country dealing with significant inflation.

You do know that joblessness is at an all time low right? Lol

BTW, America is most definitely not the only country dealing with significant inflation.
so where are all the workers?

so if joe doesnt f up as much as someone else its ok.

Last edited:
so where are all the workers?

so if joe doesnt f up as much as someone else its ok.
Well, they're either at work, or they've been offered new jobs. I know many people in my office who are having a hard time finding good candidates, so much so that I've been cold-contacting old college acquaintances (ones with talent who fit the necessary profile) to gauge their interest in making a career change.

I started this thread in May 2021. How can a dumb lawyer in Tulsa Ok have more insight than the leader of our country who dismissed my concerns 2 months after my original post.

Biden probably should start by getting rid of his tariff on Canadian lumber….fast. Then address other tariffs. Anything we can do to reduce inflation would be beneficial at this point. Obvious point….China will need to eliminate the tariffs they have placed on our goods as well.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Biden probably should start by getting rid of his tariff on Canadian lumber….fast. Then address other tariffs. Anything we can do to reduce inflation would be beneficial at this point. Obvious point….China will need to eliminate the tariffs they have placed on our goods as well.
Totally agree. Trade protection Tariffs need to be pursued when the economy isn’t in an inflationary cycle.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Oil just hit $90 a barrel. Highest level since 2014. Are we looking at $5 a gallon gasoline this summer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT