ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois St Game Thread

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
TU very active early on defense. Extending to 3/4 defense.

Magnay with his first career start.

TU up 6-2 early.

Magnay could be the best player in the arena. When he realizes that... he'll be special.

Birt... ?????????
Terrible

Would rather see Henderson in w Taplin and Wheeler or a big lineup w Etou, TK and Magnay -- Birt has done nothing this year but shoot poorly.

Magnay with 5 reb in 1st 10 min of the game. Unfortunately he has 2 fouls and will sit the rest of the half.

Burt hasn't been close tonight. Haith should never play. He's a poor ball handler and an even worse defender. We have had some good offense and taken some really terrible forced shots.

I think Haith realizes this young team isn't going to be an at-large candidate and is using the OOC schedule to give people a chance to get experience and make a case for playing time. By conference we need to be down to an 8-9 man rotation. Taplin, Wheeler, Birt, Etou, Magnay, Henderson, Igbanu, Edogi, and Korita would be my choices at this point and in that order.

Magnay with 5 reb in 1st 10 min of the game. Unfortunately he has 2 fouls and will sit the rest of the half.
2nd foul was a garbage call too. He went up straight w/ 2 hands and the IllSt player came barreling in. IllSt is really hands on defense and they're not getting called for the rakes across the arms. They'll get called for 50 fouls against Wichita State but we havent "earned" those calls yet. Someone better decide to play some D on Lee. And Hawkins is a really good player. Then again if we could shoot worth a crap we'd be leading.

Someone buy Birt some confidence from the Wizard of Oz please.

We played much better this half than we did against UALR. Gotta have points from Birt and Wheeler 2nd half to have a shot. And limit the live ball TOs.

Turnovers kill us. Birt must prefer the second semester.

Magnay is good.

Officials are asshats. The ref who called the tech on Wojcik at Duke (and the recipient of the famous coat toss) yelled at Shea. Darren appears to be high.

We put some weird lineups out there.

Taplin can't drive against a team that has someone over 6-9 on the floor.

Birt shouldn't be out there if they're going to full court press.

Wojcik style press offense. Break the press but don't make them pay

Just a thought.... crazy ass thought... but...
Can someone guard Lee?
Also, Coach Haith, your best rebounder is Magnay, he can't rebound on the bench. Just saying...

PB ---- keep shooting!!! You r really good at shooting!!!
Holy crap. Haith, he can't miss if he's not on the floor!!!

The Korita to Magnay pass to close the gap to 3 was gorgeous.

I can't wait for the two of them to be more comfortable on the floor together. Korita sees the floor much better than I expected he would, going to have some beauties to Magnay and Igbanu during their careers.

Reactions: TU_BLA and Gold*
Magnay with his first career double double on the dunk!

Huge break on a bad traveling call. iSU coach gets a T complaining with seconds to play down 2. One of the weirdest finishes I've ever seen. Oh....and good win !!

Good win in a game where we weren't favored, especially after digging the big hole.

Huge break on a bad traveling call. iSU coach gets a T complaining with seconds to play down 2. One of the weirdest finishes I've ever seen. Oh....and good win !!

After ever call they blew on the other end the previous minute, he had no reason to complain. He should have been tossed. Bad sportsmanship.

The chant of night was "bench warning." We got a couple, they got zero until the technical.

Last edited:
After ever call they blew on the other end the previous minute, he had no reason to complain. He should have been tossed. Bad sportsmanship.

The chant of night was "bench warning." We got several, they got zero:

Agree. Taking away the ball calls going the other way you can't get a T there and take away your teams chance to win the game. Poor decision by Coach

Sometimes I forget Taplin is just a sophomore. That was big time for a young guy
I mentioned that he can't drive against bigs who are sitting in the lane earlier in the thread. Luckily he tried the floater on that dribble-spin move. He played well tonight. If I was giving out grades...

Magnay... A+ (Not afraid to step out and get a hand in someone's face. Plays like a man.)
Taplin... A- (Good floor game. I like that he's getting points from all areas)
Wheeler... B (Didn't score much, but rebounded and was heady)
Etou... B (Scored a good deal, but took a lot of possessions to do so)
Henderson... B (Had an important 3. Was a lot better at Man2Man than previous games)
Korita... B (He played a disciplined ball game, defended well, and made plays offensively)
Igbanu... C (Not a great showing, but he contributed)
Edogi... C- (The team defense when he was on the floor suffered)
Birt... D (Took way to many contested 3's early in possessions. Turnover prone)
Atson... D+ (Their run started with him on the floor. He got a lucky gimme basket that's about it)

If it wasn't for the stupid call by the NCAA this team would probably be 5-2. Definitely pleased with the progress of this team.

Reactions: TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT