ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Monty's Staff.

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
Just wanted to make this thread so we'll have a place to mention the incoming (& hopefully retained in the case of a couple people) staff as more information becomes available.

Do u think hurricane Monty will be calling the plays or does he leave that up to an oc. Tough decision since Monty has a great offensive mind. Maybe he hires a mentor type up and Comer who he will impress his offendive mind upon? Hope we get a beast dc too. That's how championship teams are made.

On a side note if we can make the "Hurricane Monty" name stick, the only other team he can leave us for in the future is Miami. This strengthens our chance of keeping him long term.

I would expect him to follow what Briles did at Houston and Baylor. Hire an understudy and bring him along slowly. Call plays for the first few years and relinquish that duty when you believe he's ready. Briles' teams were always successful on offense. It wasn't until he hired Bennett that Bayor became a conference champion. Defensive hires are key.

I wonder if Coach Jones will give us permission to hire a staff.

Clint Rountree has been retained as Director of HS Relations & Recruiting. Not a surprise. However, one of the tweets that congratulated him was from the MilkMan himself, Brennan Marion and he indicated he would see him soon. There has been some behind the scenes lobbying to get Brennan on staff here. Brennan was extremely successful coaching Waynesboro HS this past year bringing them from 0-10 in 2013 to a district title this year. First district title and first winning season (according to article) in 22 years. Milkman can coach and he put in Malzahn's offense this year.

As soon as Blankenship was fired, Brennan told me he wanted to be on the next staff. He got his resume in over the weekend, and Gragg was supposed to give it to Coach Montgomery.

Gold, Pat Jones has been pushing hard for TU to hire good buddy B. Guy. Coach Monty said we will have a defense that will not lay back and wait so I think that excludes B. Guy. Also 1430 said the other day Monty wood call plays. He is going to be a guest today on 1430

Originally posted by Chris Harmon:
As soon as Blankenship was fired, Brennan told me he wanted to be on the next staff. He got his resume in over the weekend, and Gragg was supposed to give it to Coach Montgomery.
Is he ready to be a WR coach in FBS? Obviously he can teach the game to HSers quickly as well as instill a tremendous work ethic and pride into a program. It is very reminiscent of what Kragthorpe did here. You don't take players who don't know how to win and don't know the right way to work and turn it around 180 degrees without being able to reach them and teach them.

I doubt Milk can teach speed, but I'm all for him being part of the university again. He's got a lot to offer with his degree in Hard Knocks.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Clint Rountree has been retained as Director of HS Relations & Recruiting. Not a surprise. However, one of the tweets that congratulated him was from the MilkMan himself, Brennan Marion and he indicated he would see him soon. There has been some behind the scenes lobbying to get Brennan on staff here. Brennan was extremely successful coaching Waynesboro HS this past year bringing them from 0-10 in 2013 to a district title this year. First district title and first winning season (according to article) in 22 years. Milkman can coach and he put in Malzahn's offense this year.
If anyone in this world deserves success it's Brennan Marion. Wherever he goes I am routing for him!

I will never forget him getting hurt at the end of that title game. Glad he persevered and has been successful.

I talked to Brennan yesterday, and he and his family are on their way to Tulsa to go through the interview process.
This post was edited on 12/17 8:10 AM by sonofbird

Hot Damn, he got an interview. If he's ready he'll have a real shot at it now.

Originally posted by sonofbird:
I talked to Brennan yesterday, and he and his family are on their way to Tulsa to go through the interview process.

WOW, good for him!

This would be pretty cool.

I wonder if there is a position for someone to simply monitor and keep JUCO kids in the recruiting process for TU. Milkman went that route and I can't say that he hasn't been exactly the type of student/person that exemplifies a kid getting a shot and taking full advantage of it.

Any other updates on the staff??? I thought we'd see several Texas HS coaches involved.

Originally posted by sonofbird:

Brennan is in Tulsa, but doesn't have an interview scheduled yet...he's hoping that will happen.

Milkman has all of two years of high school coaching experience, only one in Pennsylvania. Seems unlikely he has made serious in roads there that would help recruiting in any measurable way. Likewise, he has two years of highs chool coaching experience. Seems to me coach Monty probably has some more qualified GAs at Baylor that he's likely more interested in hiring.

All this is not to say that montgomery wouldn't offer him a GA spot. I just don't see him on staff full time.

Agreed. A GA spot would be a great way to gain experience at the college level. Though guys can only be 7 years removed from when they graduated so I think Marion is closing in on that deadline. A quality control position would work as well.

I know for a fact that the Milkman and Coach Monty talked for several minutes at the basketball game last evening.TBH, Monty looked a little overwhelmed with all the attention he was being given by fans, etc. Not sure the limelight/ego thing is what he is about at all (exact opposite of TG in that regards). We sit by some folks who are pretty well connected within the TU circle and hear a lot of things...but even they didn't have the foggiest who Monty was thinking of bringing in as DC or OC yet.

Originally posted by rockycane17:
Milkman has all of two years of high school coaching experience, only one in Pennsylvania. Seems unlikely he has made serious in roads there that would help recruiting in any measurable way. Likewise, he has two years of highs chool coaching experience. Seems to me coach Monty probably has some more qualified GAs at Baylor that he's likely more interested in hiring.

All this is not to say that montgomery wouldn't offer him a GA spot. I just don't see him on staff full time.
Agreed, a GA spot would probably be more likely for Marion due to the experience aspect. I think there are stipulations that would hinder this from happening though. I thought the Milkman was a few credit hours short from graduating? I am pretty sure that this is a requirement in order to GA because you have to be in GRAD school. Without an undergrad degree you obviously cant get participate in the graduate program which will then close out a GA possibility...... As for a quality control position I don't really know the requirements, if any, for that job.

Just an update on Brennan Marion that I posted earlier in Hurricane Alley. I got a message from Brennan this morning, and he was able to sit down with Coach Montgomery yesterday...said it went well. Apparently Coach Montgomery told him he was impressed but couldn't promise anything and would let him know.

It would be great if Brennan could get a GA spot.

In all likelihood if he was coaching in Pennsylvania he was a certified staff member which would have required a degree be completed especially since he was the head guy and not an assistant that may have been a lay coach.

Marion graduated. I can remember him talking about how devastated he was when he blew out his ACL in the C-USA Championship game against ECU. He said the thing that kept him going was knowing that he was going to leave with a degree in hand.

That's what I assumed... Heck of a young man that I hope finds a way into a role with the university.

Just wanted to provide a tidbit over here since it's now being mentioned on Twitter. In Hurricane Alley ten days ago, among the guys I mentioned as possibilities for the staff were Bowling Green co-OCs Sterlin Gilbert & Matt Mattox. They have some background with Coach Montgomery...all that info, including their background, local ties, etc. is in the Alley.

Thayer Evans of SI is saying that he's hearing the same thing now.

Bowling Green co-OCs Sterlin Gilbert and Matt Mattox are joining Philip Montgomery's staff at Tulsa, according to Thayer Evans.
12:40pm - 22 Dec 14

If true, Gilbert was the HC at Temple HS not too long ago. Temple's 4-star QB Chad President is commited to Baylor. Baylor recently got a commitment From 4-star QB Jarrett Stidham, who had decommitted from Texas Tech. You would think President could be lured to Tulsa by Montgomery and now Gilbert, with Baylor having 2 stud QB prospects in the 2015 class. However, President is a tremendous athlete who converted from WR to play QB. He most likely will play WR or another position at Baylor, making his availability to Tulsa somewhat remote. But, are you saying we have a chance? I've heard "dumber" scenarios.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT