ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Monty's Staff.

Inside Tulsa Sports first mentioned Sterlin Gilbert and Matt Mattox ten days ago as possible assistant coaches for Tulsa, and now they've been added to the staff.

More info:
premium.gif
Montgomery adds two assistants
https://tulsa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1718229

This is premium content, but you can view it free by signing up for a HURRICANE30. Offer expires Jan. 31, 2015.

Just saw a tweet from The Milkman that he got a tweet from "coach" and knew he was getting the nod and now praying on it. Not sure what it means, if it is a GA position or some other staff position...or may be unrelated altogether. I hope it means he'll be back at TU for a time to hone his coaching skills
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Just saw a tweet from The Milkman that he got a tweet from "coach" and knew he was getting the nod and now praying on it. Not sure what it means, if it is a GA position or some other staff position...or may be unrelated altogether. I hope it means he'll be back at TU for a time to hone his coaching skills

The tweet was wishing Milkman a Merry Christmas. It was a nice gesture and would lead one to believe Milkman is still on Monty's mind.

TX

I hope he gets a shot! And I'm curious who the DC is bc he said in the Presser that they were close to a deal so hopefully they announce it soon

I think we are spending too much time worrying about Twitter. I read that and don't think it clearly means anything. I think the Milkman tweets too much and I'm reminded why I unfollowed him.

Originally posted by kcarzoli:
I hope he gets a shot! And I'm curious who the DC is bc he said in the Presser that they were close to a deal so hopefully they announce it soon
Gotta think what Coach said about staff still coaching in bowl games has to be true...the turnaround on the BG OCs announcement was pretty quick.

But who could it be?? Did I see a Rice name mentioned? I'd think that would have been announced already if so...

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

Originally posted by kcarzoli:
Gotta think what Coach said about staff still coaching in bowl games has to be true...the turnaround on the BG OCs announcement was pretty quick.

But who could it be?? Did I see a Rice name mentioned? I'd think that would have been announced already if so...
Are you thinking Chris Thurmond?

Jennings would sort of be the equivalent of what we had and OkState had in Van Malone, stud recruiter, DB coach, now on to SMU as a DC. Could live with that. Sounds like Monty and Jennings have worked together as well.

I think Chris mentioned Brian Norwood as well as possible coach candidate. He would be a good get for DC and he is a solid recruiter it sounds like. With Baylor not playing until New Years we that may be when we get our guy. On a side note, I think I saw where Carlton Buckels could be a staff candidate.

There's a reason Briles replaced Norwood as DC...his defenses weren't very good. I would be happy to have him as an Assistant but not as a DC.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
There's a reason Briles replaced Norwood as DC...his defenses weren't very good. I would be happy to have him as an Assistant but not as a DC.
+1 Can't afford him as an assistant though. Buckels may be a better candidate. Norwood was replaced and demoted for a reason.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Ok, Jennings is done with Arkansas duties.

Announcement tomorrow? ;-)
I hope you are right. 24/7 says Jennings makes $320k at Arkansas. I'm not saying that is correct but being a state school it is probably public record. Hope we can get him.

Originally posted by texcane1982:
Originally posted by TU_BLA:

The tweet was wishing Milkman a Merry Christmas. It was a nice gesture and would lead one to believe Milkman is still on Monty's mind.

TX
If we are talking about bringing back ex-TU receivers, I'd rather see this guy get a shot.

Experience Matters

Listening to the Buzz yesterday, Kelly Hines thinks Monty has most of his staff in place but is waiting to make the announcements...not sure why. I hope this is the case and am really hoping the DC is a HR out of left field hire for us.

Keith Patterson was offered the job and accepted from what I heard. There has since been a holdup or change of heart. I think this is what caused the delay. Patterson was the guy and it appears that it's not going to work out. Not sure if he's still in the mix, but he definitely was Monty's target and it appeared to be a done deal.

FWIW - Salary not an issue. We are definitely paying a competitive salary to our next DC.

Originally posted by TUguru:
Keith Patterson was offered the job and accepted from what I heard. There has since been a holdup or change of heart. I think this is what caused the delay. Patterson was the guy and it appears that it's not going to work out. Not sure if he's still in the mix, but he definitely was Monty's target and it appeared to be a done deal.

FWIW - Salary not an issue. We are definitely paying a competitive salary to our next DC.
Really???

If true, that would really help out aTU fan since he thought Patterson was still our DC.

Pardon my ignorance but wasn't Pattersin the architect of our matador defense under Graham? I recall being happy to see him go. Has he subsequently had good defenses? I haven't paid much attention honestly but haven't thought of ASU as a strong defensive team. Is the idea that high powered offensive coaches like having defenses that give up lots of points quickly so the offense can show its prowess?

I heard Coach Monty wanted a guy with a 3-5 defensive background. Patterson fit that mold. Like I said, I don't know if he's still in the mix.

Also, the latest news is that Bill Young will be on our defensive staff in some capacity. He has left the SMU staff and will be joining Tulsa.

I heard Coach Monty wanted a guy with a 3-5 defensive background. Patterson fit that mold. Like I said, I don't know if he's still in the mix.

Also, the latest news is that Bill Young will be on our defensive staff in some capacity. He has left the SMU staff and will be joining Tulsa.
He's got a good defensive track record, Bill Young that is.

Probably wanting to shift to 3-5 because of recruiting concerns. Can't say I blame them at all.

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR...are we just throwing names out to see if they stick? If that's the case, why not Monty Kiffin who the Cowboys are basically paying to sit in a press box without a head set or mic

FWIW
Reported in DMN 1/5/15

New SMU football coach Chad Morris finalized his staff on Monday.
The breakdown:

Offensive coordinator: Joe Craddock from Clemson (graduate assistant).

Defensive coordinator: Van Malone from Oklahoma State (defensive backs).

Running backs: Claude Mathis from DeSoto High School (head coach).

Offensive Line: Dustin Fry from Clemson (graduate assistant).

Wide receivers: Justin Stepp from Appalachian State (wide receivers).

Defensive assistant: Keith Gunn from SMU (offensive assistant/recruiting analyst).

Secondary: Jess Loepp from Tulsa (safeties/recruiting coordinator).

Linebackers: Archie McDaniel from New Mexico (outside linebackers).

+++Defensive line: Bill Young from Yukon High School.+++

That's why I said he has left SMU. Just sharing info I heard. Not "reporting" it or trying to spread rumors.

As for Patterson, it's 100% fact he was offered the job. And for A LOT of money.

Clements would be a solid choice. Could TU and SMU both have OSU position coaches as DCs?

Morris hired 2 GAs, one to be his OC at SMU? I have no doubt Morris intends on running their offense until this kid gets his feet under him.

Listened to Jerry O on the Buzz today. He's a little concerned we have not heard more about the rest of the staff. Where is Patterson now? I lost track after he was interim at Pitt and had to deliver the news TG left for ASU

This isn't a matter of who's right and who's wrong on Patterson. I never said he was coming. I simply stated that he was offered the job and was Monty's top target from everything I gave gathered. It looked to be a done deal, but things changed. I was told he verbally accepted the job and then it fell apart. Had nothing to do with salary. We offered him enough to make the move and not look back.

Everyone has wanted to know why it has taken so long to hire a DC, and this is it. The deal was in place and Patterson was going to be our DC. Just thought I'd share what I was told.

As for Bill Young, it's a done deal. He's at TU.

As for Bill Young, it's a done deal. He's at TU.
Three hours earlier you were saying you weren't reporting it you had just heard that.
Now it's a done deal.
Have you heard more in the last three hours?
I'm not doubting you just asking what has changed so quick.

I heard it was a done deal. Checked smu website and he is no longer listed on staff. So I just added that tidbit to my last post.

My guess is we hire Joe Bob Clements as our DC or co-DC with Young. And if we don't get Clements, then Young could be our DC. That's TOTALLY a guess though. Haven't heard that scenario from anyone. There could be other guys in play that I don't know about. All I know is we missed on Patterson and Bill Young has left SMU for TU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT