ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Monty's Staff.

I imagine there'll be room in the schemes and on that defensive call sheet for both Bill Youngs basic 4-3 at times and when down, distance and game plan dictate, we'll see a personell change and the defensive alignment change as well. But most of ya'll are probably right, there'll be some sort of a combination of defensive alignment to fit the occasion. Schemes have changed over the years and coaches talk and revise according to the times. Not many teams still run the Single Wing or the old 6-2 or 5-4 defense any more, even though they do show those fronts and alignments at times. The wishbone and veer used to be the offense of the day, but now most of the offenses have a shotgun QB and a lot of empty backfields. Times change. Thats why we are excited and most can't wait for spring ball.

While Bill runs a traditional 4-3 it does morph into a 4-2-5 depending on the offensive set. He likes to use a converted safety or very fast backer in the star position. The star will line up just inside the slot when the offense goes to a spread formation and plays in space. When facing power sets he'll bring the star back inside to a typical outside backer position and give a standard 4-3 look. Suits looks like a perfect fit to me as long as he doesn't bulk up much more. If Suits mans one of the other backer spots I wouldn't be surprised to see a safety spin down. I haven't seen Wilson play but I would be surprised if he had the speed/quickness to play the star.

Bill is 68 years old and we don't know how long he intends to coach.. What we currently have on Campus can use his knowledge and coaching ability and run the 4-3 for a couple while a young defensive assistant that favors the 3-4, and we recruit to that. I'm sure Coach has a plan in place and I support what ever plan that is.

This post was edited on 1/9 11:51 AM by Glasscain

In reference to having some one with speed to play the "star" like you're saying, if anyone has the speed it's Wilson. Although, I like his potential at DE, along with Jeremy Smith. One of our biggest weaknesses last year was lack of speed at linebacker. Martin is slow as molasses and Suits seems to have potential but still does not possess much speed. CJ Gooden looked more quick than fast, but better in comparison to the others.

Linebacker is a huge position of need. In the recent past we've had guys like: Shawn Jackson, Curnelius Arnick, DeAundre Brown. Maybe not the biggest guys, but possessed good speed and athleticism. Something we definately do not have in our current group of linebackers. Something necessary to defend spread offenses.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
While Bill runs a traditional 4-3 it does morph into a 4-2-5 depending on the offensive set. He likes to use a converted safety or very fast backer in the star position. The star will line up just inside the slot when the offense goes to a spread formation and plays in space. When facing power sets he'll bring the star back inside to a typical outside backer position and give a standard 4-3 look. Suits looks like a perfect fit to me as long as he doesn't bulk up much more. If Suits mans one of the other backer spots I wouldn't be surprised to see a safety spin down. I haven't seen Wilson play but I would be surprised if he had the speed/quickness to play the star.
I agree. I think we may see Mudoh ( a real aggressive ball hawk) at that "star" position a lot. IMO

Originally posted by TulsaTime33:

In reference to having some one with speed to play the "star" like you're saying, if anyone has the speed it's Wilson. Although, I like his potential at DE, along with Jeremy Smith. One of our biggest weaknesses last year was lack of speed at linebacker. Martin is slow as molasses and Suits seems to have potential but still does not possess much speed. CJ Gooden looked more quick than fast, but better in comparison to the others.

Linebacker is a huge position of need. In the recent past we've had guys like: Shawn Jackson, Curnelius Arnick, DeAundre Brown. Maybe not the biggest guys, but possessed good speed and athleticism. Something we definately do not have in our current group of linebackers. Something necessary to defend spread offenses.
Suits is pretty fast and certainly one of the fastest LBs we had on the field last year. He's got pretty good athleticism too as evidenced by his vertical leap. He always seemed to get up pretty quick to knock some passes down. He needs to develop his instincts a little more. We need Young to develop some discipline with our DEs to be more assignment focused because we crashed down an awful lot, especially the right-side DE and lost contain a lot.

Agreed Bla. I thought this was one of our biggest downfalls on defense last year. Seems like our DE & OLB away from the flow would always end up doing the same job. Outside of some major coverage issues of course!

Justin Hill added as the new RB coach. Played at Rice through 2011 and was on the staff at Baylor last year.

Hill was the Associate Director of Athletic Performance....whatever the hell that is. Didn't appear to be a coaching position.

He was a darn good running back at Rice. The NCAA limits the number of "coaches" a school may employ so many of those wanting to get into coaching take low paying administrative jobs within a schools athletic program. He has Texas ties and is a young energetic guy...he should be able to recruit. Sounds good to me. Glad he gets a shot at coaching.

The offensive side of the ball is probably done. I would expect the last four assistants to all be on the defensive side of the ball. Now that a DC has been hired that should come together faster.

They could but that could also be coached by a Quality Control assistant or a GA. I have a feeling Montgomery will want to balance the assistants on each side of the ball and will consider Young as the Head Coach of the Defense.

HC/Montgomery
QB/Gilbert
RB/Hill
WR/Lowery
OL/Mattox

DC/Young
DL/??
LB/??
Secondary/??
Usually a second Secondary coach/??

I like this hire! Norwood brings more experience to the defense side of the ball and should be a recruiting asset.

Congrats to coach! Texas recruiting should be the best ever and Bill will do a fine job in Okla. recruiting. Norwood and Young will be able to mentor the young coaches. My hope is one of the young coaches have the Graham attitude bring a fire to the defense, assuming coach hires some young defensive coaches. Man! what safety wouldn't want Norwood as a coach.

Just a guess, but I would say that is a pattern. Two experienced offensive coaches, or three if you count Montgomery.
Two experienced defensive coaches and hopefully a coach with linebacker experience or maybe not. Then you fill in with young coaches eager to learn who have shown something that this staff likes. A nice mix.

New DL coach announced:

2m2 minutes ago
Tulsa names Jermial Ashley as defensive line coach. Coached last 2 years at Trinity Valley CC. Before that, 3 years with Bill Young at OSU.

Tried posting this a second ago, but not showing up. Sorry if ends up double post:

New DL coach announced:

2m2 minutes ago
Tulsa names Jermial Ashley as defensive line coach. Coached last 2 years at Trinity Valley CC. Before that, 3 years with Bill Young at OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT