ADVERTISEMENT

How does not building the Keystone Pipeline help Global CO2

TUMe

I.T.S. Legend
Dec 3, 2003
I left off the words Warming or Climate, because I will stipulate for this post that CO2 emitted by man is the only cause. Whether or not one believes it let's stipulate it.

Some facts:

1. This Canadian crude is already coming in by pipeline through Cushing, Oklahoma and by rail.
2. Pipeline is far safer than rail.
3. Canada plans to keep producing this crude.
4. China has indicated an interest in purchasing it.
5. China is on the same globe that we are. The Japan Current and the El Nino cycle mix the output of China into the Global Atmosphere and Ocean.
6. There are other environmental concerns such as sulfur, benzene, poly-nuclear aromatics and on and on with all crudes but especially these tar sands. China does not have a great environmental record.

The answer from the Administration is that we set a good example in doing so. Yet we have already set a better example than China.

Finally, we continue the transfer of money to our current and potential enemies rather than to our closest ally and we burn fuel transporting crude from the Middle East to the Western Hemisphere then transporting another crude from the Canada to China. Ocean going tankers burn Bunker C which is a heavy high sulfur fuel loaded with delicious carbon to make CO2.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's as if not having the pipeline would mean not extracting and transporting the hydrocarbons or something. Which is not the case. It'll be done regardless with likely more damaging environmental impact.

Agree with all your points.

This could prove a major problem for the Dems. If crude prices increase, the Reps can just blame it on the pipeline decision by Obama. Hillary may have to, you know, evolve into supporting it again now. Anyone think Obama did this on purpose right now since the Obama's hate the Clinton's?

But the prices should rise since they are so low right now. The dems must think they'll always stay this cheap. Nada! Rubio has come out and said he will approve the pipeline when he becomes POTUS. Smart move!

Prices don't just rise "because they are so low". There are specific downward pressures in simple supply/demand causing it right now that aren't going away anytime soon. 2016 is expected to avg between 50-60. Probably closer to 50.

Unless Saudi Arabia falls off the planet, I suppose.

Reactions: TUMe
Prices don't just rise "because they are so low". There are specific downward pressures in simple supply/demand causing it right now that aren't going away anytime soon. 2016 is expected to avg between 50-60. Probably closer to 50.

Unless Saudi Arabia falls off the planet, I suppose.

Current Fed policies are affecting crude price almost as much as supply/demand... Cheap interest propping them up.. If interest rate goes up the crude prices will fall to levels not seen since the eighties..

That is an interesting article on Canadian politics. I must have missed the part where Canada plans to quit producing oil from tar sands.

WATU, our President was more honest than the guy in this film. [I don't know if the film guy is as he appears to be a Nebraska farmer or like the man in the Mexican beer commercial with Hispanic accent really a Jewish actor from Brooklyn. "I don't always drink beer.."] Obama said it very clearly: We have set an example. It may not make sense, but we have to set an example and look good doing it.

Clearly, progressives want fossil fuels to just go away. Coal first, then oil, later natural gas and also Beef while we are at it.

By the way, I got hoorahed about saying drive down Memorial and look at all the new cars. Well, you don't have to do that the "Dad'll do it" girl and Julie Chin are on all the local channels saying the 2016's are in and we are cutting prices on our current stock of 2015s or whatever. Great buys on SuperCab trucks. The electric cars must be really selling because I don't see any adds for them. My point is that you can't abandon one form of energy until you have something to replace it.

I wonder if that "ringer" in the cowboy hat would be apauled at TU using all the artificial smoke when our FB team comes out of the FB dressing room? Isn't that a form of CO2? :eek:o_O:confused:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT