ADVERTISEMENT

How can home attendance be increased?

Tulsa Guy

I.T.S. Redshirt Freshman
Aug 11, 2018
I know two OU couples that have cancelled their long time season tickets to Sooner games because they became too expensive.

Tulsa sports administration might want to experiment to see what might work, and if it doesn't work, then junk it.

Here goes my suggestion. Devote a section of the seating to OU fans and OSU fans. Underneath, have a concession stand painted red for OU and orange for OSU. Let these two dediated concesson stands sell OU and OSU stuff. Perhaps have some kind of "event" under the stands before and after the game for both OU and OSU.

During the Tulsa home game, announce the OU and OSU score ver often. Do salutes to OU and OSU on the digital end zone screen. Have the TU band play OU and OSU fight song either at half time or before the game or during the game.

Salesmanship is emotion, and emotion must be used to lure OU and OSU fans to Tulsa home games.

Maybe you agree with this post and maybe you don't. So what would you suggest?

There are good suggestions in the Emig article in the TW, such as frequent updates on scores of area and conference teams, showing videos of big plays (so folks don't have to dial them up), making sure Wifi works, etc., lowering ticket and concession prices, and upgrading food to 2019 standards.
TU has simply got to start limiting seating into the middle of the East side to avoid the embarrassment of an empty stadium on television. Until TU can fill the middle two sections, TU must lower those prices to compete with the West side.
Selling OU and OSU merch is not one I would support either.

We can sell sooner and cowboy stuff when they start selling Tulsa merch at their stadiums

There are good suggestions in the Emig article in the TW, such as frequent updates on scores of area and conference teams, showing videos of big plays (so folks don't have to dial them up), making sure Wifi works, etc., lowering ticket and concession prices, and upgrading food to 2019 standards.
TU has simply got to start limiting seating into the middle of the East side to avoid the embarrassment of an empty stadium on television. Until TU can fill the middle two sections, TU must lower those prices to compete with the West side.

RESPONSE
I read Emig article and this is why I made this post. The suggestions in that article are good but, with the exception of one statement, those suggestions probably won't increase attendance. The one point I agree with is to "make it personal." Salesmanship is emotion; salesmanship is personal.

I don't support lowering ticket prices. Ticket prices are more than reasonable for the entertainment and product on the field. It costs just as much to go to a movie and buy popcorn and a soft drink. Tulsa has used some "marketing" schemes in the past which essentially gives a way free tickets....and people still don't turn out. The emotion is not there.

I really wonder what percent of the TU fans in the seats are actually TU grads? My guess is that there are a lot of the so called "casual" fans making up the majority of fans in attendance at TU football games. Who are those casual fans? I am guessing a lot of them are OU and OSU fans.

I know a lot of TU fans who root only for TU. I know a lot of OSU fans who root only for OSU. I now a lot of OU fans who root only for OU. But I also know a lot of TU, OU, and OSU fans who follow all three schools and root for all three schools....except when they play each other.

Tulsa's TV viewership numbers were very good in 2018. Who's watching that generated those good tv viewership numbers? My guess is quite a few OU and OSU fans were watching those TU games on TV. The question is how do you get them from the TV set into TU's football stadium?

And so we are in this position of telecasting games with the east stands empty on national TV....and trying to keep up with ticket generated revenue in keeping up with the UCFs and Houstons of the AAC. So what is the solution?

Crazy is defined as doing the same old thing over and over....but expecting different results.

Last edited:
Playing their fight song at our event and selling their merchandise in the stadium won't get more or less 'soft' fans to the games.(Had to giggle, cuz I couldn't stop thinking of Rabid.)

It would just make our athletic department look desperate & crazy.

Here is another suggestion. Try to co-opt Wichita basketball fans to attend TU football games. Play the Spring Football game in Cessna Stadium in WIchita. Have half the TU team were TU uniforms; have the other half wear throw back Wichita State football uniforms. Wichita sells out its basketball arena; they are passionate.

Fresno State's colors are red and white and the Bulldog is their mascot. But Fresno has a green V on the back of their football helmets to push the marketing concept that Fresno is the Central Valley's football team, that is, to expand FSU interest beyond the FSU city limits. So maybe have a "Woo Shock" patch on the TU uniform someplace to signify that TU not only represents TU but WSU too. Maybe have one Tulsa home game to honor WIchita's past football tradition by wearing throw back WIchita State uniforms.

Its an easy 175 mile drive from WIchita to Tulsa, all on a four lane road.

Do some marketing in WIchita. Have the TU Head Coach make a few presentations there. Let WIchitas sports radio network interview the TU football coach and players after the game.

Here is another suggestion. Try to co-opt Wichita basketball fans to attend TU football games. Play the Spring Football game in Cessna Stadium in WIchita. Have half the TU team were TU uniforms; have the other half wear throw back Wichita State football uniforms. Wichita sells out its basketball arena; they are passionate.

Fresno State's colors are red and white and the Bulldog is their mascot. But Fresno has a green V on the back of their football helmets to push the marketing concept that Fresno is the Central Valley's football team, that is, to expand FSU interest beyond the FSU city limits. So maybe have a "Woo Shock" patch on the TU uniform someplace to signify that TU not only represents TU but WSU too. Maybe have one Tulsa home game to honor WIchita's past football tradition by wearing throw back WIchita State uniforms.

Do some marketing in WIchita. Have the TU Head Coach make a few presentations there. Let WIchitas sports radio network interview the TU football coach and players after the game.

No. No. No. no.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
For the really old guys like me, remember Charles O. Finley, the owner of the Kansas City Royals many, many years ago? He was ridiculed for his ideas, so much so that American League owners were considering how to revoke his franchise ownership. But over time, all of Finely's "crazy" ideas at that time were adopted. The major change was playing the World Series at night to boost tv viewership because people worked during the day.

I think TU is continuing to try some new things. The article does bring up some points to think about, but I think we have to keep our identity as TU without selling out to ou/osu. While we can be. It’s one thing to report the scores of their games (along with other regional teams - Arkansas, Kansas, TCU, etc) during timeouts, it’s quite another to devalue ourselves to the point of selling another teams merchandise in our shops.

There’s no arguing that a lot of our fans also like ou/osu and that’s fine, but I think we don’t have to make them choose (and we can’t afford to make them choose), between us and them. They can like TU and ou/osu, but while they’re at a game at H.A. Chapman Stadium, they’re TU fans.

This is a tough nut to crack and we obviously haven’t figured it out yet, but the Tulsa metro has well over a million people, so the opportunity is there. Maybe one day we’ll figure it out and get the local support we deserve.

Maybe we should change the thread title “How Can We Boost Home Attendance...AND MAINTAIN OUR DIGNITY”

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Flat fee AYCE concessions.

Seatbacks on both sides between the 20s.

Fix the WiFi issues.

Moving the fun zone was a good idea. Tarp over the south end zone for conference games.

Let any local church that purchases 1000 tickets lead the invocation.

Free season tickets to all alumni under 30 who maintain GHC membership. There’s no loyalty in cheese wrapper tickets or giving free tickets to cops making $70000 a year who went to OSU.

Find a promotion that makes sense that gets the degenerate gamblers to turn out.

Combine rowing, basketball, and soccer into a “super sport” and put the money saved into new carpet for the offices in Collins Hall.

Give away firearms at halftime except the Houston/Memphis game where we give away a car. Must be present and not sober to win.

Have a student create an app. Ask TU trivia questions and college level trivia questions during breaks in the action. Fans answer on their phone using the app. Winners gets TU bookstore gift card or swag basket. TU wins by getting updated contact data and the opportunity to survey. Announce winners in real time on the scoreboard.

GHC members only app that connects you to Westside concessions stand for prepaid no waiting concessions.

Skip the beer line wristbands for GHC members.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Wichita has already adopted Navy as their football team. A few busloads made the trip here the last time the Midshipmen were in town.

Combine rowing, basketball, and soccer into a “super sport” and put the money saved into new carpet for the offices in Collins Hall.
You stole that idea from the 'committee'.(Course they stole it from another school/'committee'. Just footnote it and you'll be fine.)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wichita has already adopted Navy as their football team. A few busloads made the trip here the last time the Midshipmen were in town.

Thanks for posting this. There is no doubt Tulsa could co-opt this and WSU fans can bus to every home Tulsa game instead of one game every other year.

Last edited:
Obviously more to it than that. Otherwise we’d have sold out most of the seasons when we won 10-11 games.

I have yet to see a long term plan to boost attendance and put in place by Tulsa administration. Generally, in the past, some youth group discounting of free tickets and that's about it.

To me, the greatest insult is not catering to selected groups like OU and OSU fans. The greatest insult is the empty stands being broadcast nationwide from coast to coast. What does that say to a potential football recruit?

Tarp the stadium? That's the second greatest insult.

PAC-12 is considering starting a couple games at 9 a.m. PST in order to be on the coveted 11 a.m. EST FOX telecast. Their commissioner was quoted as saying everything is on the table. The PAC commissioner stated he wanted to try this and see how it works out in terms of viewership. So trying something new and bold.....is not new and bold.

Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Reactions: Aboomer
Obviously more to it than that. Otherwise we’d have sold out most of the seasons when we won 10-11 games.

Boosting attendance is going to require some thinking out of the box. I believe a TU fan posted that after Tulsa beat Notre Dame in South Bend....the home crowd did not increase for the first home game following that magnificent victory.

Last edited:
Boosting attendance is going to require some thinking out of the box. I believe a TU fan posted that after Tulsa beat Notre Dame in South Bend....the home crowd did not increase for the first home game following that magnificent victory.

Selling our soul by doing all the osu and ou crap Is not an option. You can stop with that nonsense right there.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000

It will indeed take some thinking outside the box, but turning our football/basketball games into minor league cheerleading events for ou/osu probably isn’t the best way to do it.

I have yet to see a long term plan to boost attendance and put in place by Tulsa administration. Generally, in the past, some youth group discounting of free tickets and that's about it.

To me, the greatest insult is not catering to selected groups like OU and OSU fans. The greatest insult is the empty stands being broadcast nationwide from coast to coast. What does that say to a potential football recruit?

You have Dr. Gragg to thank for the attendance situation. That was one of the main reasons he was brought in (to fix attendance)... which makes zero sense to me seeing that EMU has way worse attendance than TU ever has had.

TU wanted to check some boxes with the Gragg hire... and they did just that. And now we’re paying the price for checking boxes instead of hiring the best person for the job.

I’d just be happy if we could execute a good game day experience for fans. This would mean everything from ticketing to concessions to Wi-Fi at the stadium working well. Also, Emig’s article touched on how the Jumbotron is used (or isn’t) and how that could be improved. Do it.

I like the seat backs idea but doubt the university will invest more $$$ in stadium improvements. Fixing Wi-Fi is a relatively inexpensive benefit for everyone.

Reactions: HuffyCane
For the really old guys like me, remember Charles O. Finley, the owner of the Kansas City Royals many, many years ago? He was ridiculed for his ideas, so much so that American League owners were considering how to revoke his franchise ownership. But over time, all of Finely's "crazy" ideas at that time were adopted. The major change was playing the World Series at night to boost tv viewership because people worked during the day.
Apparently you’re not as old as you think you are. Charley O was the owner of the As.

I'd rather the program go under completely that watch it turn into a sooner / cowboy love fest. It's specifically the reason I like TU. Because they're not those programs.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
If TU lowers the prices anymore they'll be in the HS range of ticket prices and vending is reasonable and on market for TU.

As for out of town scores...they need to do a highlight package between quarters, perhaps have their media partner for the year (ch. 2, 6, or 8) do some highlights of local games of interest (AAC, OU, OSU). They also need to do the scoreboard again on the entire video board and not just the bottom ribbon. WIFI- good suggestion. They need to up their bandwidth. While TU offers guests a free WiFi opportunity within their network, you've got 15-20k people all trying to use it at once and it gets so bogged down I find it's faster to use my cell signal.

And I'm wondering what they're going to do for a marching band now that they've cut a lot of the performance majors. The vast majority of those kids were part of the marching band because their scholarships required it...and we still got a pretty crappy product because no one was actually bought in. We may not see the affects this year but in the next 2 we will almost certainly see a drop off to something that is not any better than the clown show they run onto the field at Rice (but their Graham troll was epic).

If TU lowers the prices anymore they'll be in the HS range of ticket prices and vending is reasonable and on market for TU.

As for out of town scores...they need to do a highlight package between quarters, perhaps have their media partner for the year (ch. 2, 6, or 8) do some highlights of local games of interest (AAC, OU, OSU). They also need to do the scoreboard again on the entire video board and not just the bottom ribbon. WIFI- good suggestion. They need to up their bandwidth. While TU offers guests a free WiFi opportunity within their network, you've got 15-20k people all trying to use it at once and it gets so bogged down I find it's faster to use my cell signal.

And I'm wondering what they're going to do for a marching band now that they've cut a lot of the performance majors. The vast majority of those kids were part of the marching band because their scholarships required it...and we still got a pretty crappy product because no one was actually bought in. We may not see the affects this year but in the next 2 we will almost certainly see a drop off to something that is not any better than the clown show they run onto the field at Rice (but their Graham troll was epic).
Stopping thinking so far ahead we are in a crisis!

I'm in favor of having a selected game or 2 being free ticket giveaways the week of the game.

Work with QT on this. Work with Burt Holmes and the other, more newsmaking half of the equation. Btw, Holmes gave a terrific talk to one of my Marketing classes while I was a student at TU.

I remember the Drillers free ticket giveaways in the 1980's at their previous stadium at the Fairgrounds when nobody was going to the games. It was fun to see fans spilling over, sitting on the field in the outfield, as many as 14,000 going to a game.

With that and other fun promotions, Drillers attendence went up every year for a long, long time. If you get people into the place, and make it fun when they are there, you can create fans. Do some crazy stuff at halftime that fans love.

I love baseball, but let's face it, it isn't the fastest paced sport around. Kind of dull to the average sports fan. So if the Drillers can increase attendance, then there is no reason TU football and basketball can't. Go to make it fun.

The Nolan era at TU was fun not only because of the winning and fast paced style of play. That was the majority of it, but the atmosphere was fun. The most fun of any TU era, although the first 5 years at the Reynolds Center were great.

People want 2 B Entertained
Here’s a few Charlie Finley (outside the box ideas)
A few ideas that have been done plus a few new ones:

)Offer stadium wide WiFi
)More TV’s around concession area
)Receive more free TU “stuff” after entering the ticket gate
)Mascot Day (high School/All pro Tulsa Sports teams/Any Business Mascot)
)City Wide high school drum core/Band Day
))Classic car drive around stadium/Have a “special” classic car show that Day
)More Fireworks B4/Halftime/End of Game
)Instead of one or 2 military planes, offer local pilots clubs 2 do fly by
)Motorcycle Rally/Poker Runs
)Midget Racer/Go Cart Rally
)Bicycle Rally
)Classic Car Rally (MayB specific type; mustang/Vetts/cCutless/ only?)
)Carnival Games in West side Patio Area

)Concessions,
—Free Refill on Jumbo popcorn
—Special Kid’s meal combo/low price/prize
—More “Red Bull” type drinks
—Speciality Coffee Bar
—Orange/Grape/Mt Dew
—Cotton Candy/Kettle Korn/Carmel Corn
--Obviously, $2 Beer/Soda/Hot Dog Day

Why not @ Halftime try:
—TU men/women B-ball hold a controlled scrimmage/basic drills/ (temp goals)
—TU Women’s/Men tennis team play w/ Beach balls instead of tennis balls
—TU men’s/women soccer team basic drills/shoot outs?/tricks?
—TU women’s Volleyball Use Beach balls instead real volleyball 4 scrimmage
—Dog trainer/teams/stunts/Frisbee catch
—Drone wars/Dogfights
—Local gymnast, perhaps have 2 or 3 mats going @ one time
—Segway races
—Pawnee Bill Abbreviated Show
—Indian Community Tribal Pow Wow

Not all of these ideas are great
But if u do nothing, then nothing will get done

)Offer stadium wide WiFi
)Bicycle Rally

)Concessions,
—Speciality Coffee Bar
—Orange/Grape/Mt Dew

Why not @ Halftime try:
—Drone wars/Dogfights
—Segway races

I think some of these are being done...they already do the food trucks inside the stadium, but I learned that TU makes it very difficult on the trucks to be at the games. I know of one who did BBQ who went to games but TU wouldn't allow him a spot because he told them at the start of the season he would miss one game to do a food truck show in McAlester. This guy was part of the TU community for 32 years as well (was a manager in the dining hall). TU also requires food trucks to carry a larger than normal liability insurance than what they normally have to operate.

I have one...bring in one of the gaming trucks and place it near the inflatables and let some of the kids play video games. I like the popcorn idea...you can already do the season souvenir cup for $7 and bring it back for $3 refills each game. Do the same with a popcorn bucket. Charge $10, $3 refills at subsequent games. Not only do you make it slightly easier/cheaper for a family, you now have TU branded stuff in their hands/house.

On the giveaways, do more, get sponsors to help pay for the cost but they all need to have the script "Tulsa" and football on it and the sponsor log can go somewhere. But the items have to be usable. Why not find a sponsor to giveaway the clear vinyl PVC bags that are the only bags allowed in now? Great way to ease the public's apprehension about something else they perceive to be a roadblock.

Add water hydration stations and allow fans to bring a specified TU logo'd double walled bottle in (empty of course) and let them fill them at these stations (nothing pisses me off more than the first home game and the concessions people are not ready w/ enough cold bottles of water when it's 95 degrees out).

They've got the cotton candy/kettle corn trailer out there at the football and basketball games. I'll tell you that the kettle corn is some freaking sweet and salty gold!!!!

I love the idea of mascot day, although the Roughnecks did away with Oil E Coyote.

I would love to see TU get aggressive marketing games to local HS kids. Give them a pass to get in free and a parent that comes with them gets a 1/2 price ticket. And don't restrict it to the GA sections. If there are 2 seats available in a seat back area, give the kid a free seat and 1/2 price for mom and dad.

)Offer stadium wide WiFi
)Bicycle Rally

)Concessions,
—Speciality Coffee Bar
—Orange/Grape/Mt Dew

Why not @ Halftime try:
Drone wars/Dogfights
—Segway races

Drone races at halftime a-la the ESPN drone racing series would be really cool. to set up some rings around the field for the drones to go through!

Only thing is you don't want any drones going into the stands... You could make them go up and around the Case center though. It would be really cool to do at a night game with these type of light up drones.

Careful, some of us do still have kids in the band. Practice starts on the 20th. Let’s see what they’ve got before being too critical.

Reactions: bigstar18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT