ADVERTISEMENT

How can home attendance be increased?

I cannot even find any TU merchandise at the local WalMart that is loaded with ORU, OU, and OSU stuff.
Super Target at 71st and hwy 169 has some. Academy has a nice selection of TU stuff as well and Dick's has some (although I find their stuff over priced). Any reason to not ever go into Wal Mart is a valid reason.

Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
I think TU is continuing to try some new things. The article does bring up some points to think about, but I think we have to keep our identity as TU without selling out to ou/osu. While we can be. It’s one thing to report the scores of their games (along with other regional teams - Arkansas, Kansas, TCU, etc) during timeouts, it’s quite another to devalue ourselves to the point of selling another teams merchandise in our shops.

There’s no arguing that a lot of our fans also like ou/osu and that’s fine, but I think we don’t have to make them choose (and we can’t afford to make them choose), between us and them. They can like TU and ou/osu, but while they’re at a game at H.A. Chapman Stadium, they’re TU fans.

This is a tough nut to crack and we obviously haven’t figured it out yet, but the Tulsa metro has well over a million people, so the opportunity is there. Maybe one day we’ll figure it out and get the local support we deserve.

It would help a lot if TU actually did market research and tried to accumulate some actionable data. All of these ideas are tantamount to blindfolding oneself and trying to throw darts.

Agreed. When they revamped the site, they really did a good job.

I will also point out that the bookstore (store front or online) has some great stuff as well. And to top it off, GHC members get an extra 20% off everything.

And there’s a coupon in the season ticket package for 25% off all apparel at the bookstore.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Agreed. When they revamped the site, they really did a good job.

I will also point out that the bookstore (store front or online) has some great stuff as well. And to top it off, GHC members get an extra 20% off everything.

I agree! I visited the bookstore (corner store now?) for the first time when TU took down KSU last December and I was very impressed with the selection of apparel. It has come a long way since I was a student, just 10 years ago. I think our contract with Adidas helped a lot with the access and selection for fans too.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
It’s kind of funny. One of the lead stories on the local news tonight was declining attendance at Nevada football games. They said the attendance has been trending down the last 5 years especially student attendance. My argument is that it’s broadcast coverage. With the occasional exception a fan can find their game on TV or streaming online every week. Why go to the stadium and fight the traffic, parking (worse here than at TU), bag searches, etc that go with attending a game?

Reactions: 4tu2
It’s kind of funny. One of the lead stories on the local news tonight was declining attendance at Nevada football games. They said the attendance has been trending down the last 5 years especially student attendance. My argument is that it’s broadcast coverage. With the occasional exception a fan can find their game on TV or streaming online every week. Why go to the stadium and fight the traffic, parking (worse here than at TU), bag searches, etc that go with attending a game?

Completely agree with that. Plus, the gameday experience has been dimished in favor of the TV broadcasters with seemingly endless TV timeouts. It is clear that fans in attendance are not the target of the product.

Reactions: 4tu2
Completely agree with that. Plus, the gameday experience has been dimished in favor of the TV broadcasters with seemingly endless TV timeouts. It is clear that fans in attendance are not the target of the product.

Unfortunately, the fans in the stands aren’t producing the $7 million we’ll receive to operate our athletics programs... it’s a catch 22 really.

Reactions: TULOYAL
Unfortunately, the fans in the stands aren’t producing the $7 million we’ll receive to operate our athletics programs... it’s a catch 22 really.
Yeah we're losing somewhere around 3m a year with reduction from 28k(estimated 1980's average) attendance to 18k. But we are getting 7m in tv revenue. 13m per year in combined attendance & tv revenue beats the present day equivalent of 10-11m we were earning in the 80's. (These are my estimates so if you wanna give your estimates go for it. I was discounting the earnings based on cost of the production, fees, etc. I also included what I figured was profit from concession sales. I was estimating for inflation and putting it into todays prices.) I think we are ahead with the new tv contract, and at worst equal. We were still are losing major money with the old tv contract though. If the administration put's some of that contract into the education side of the equation, by reducing subsidation of the athletic program, then that eliminates any profit margin we would have though.

I don’t know if this is the thread where folks were griping about credit cards but it seemed a good place to put it. I got an e-mail today about game day “enhancements” and one of them is that the west side ticket booths will be able to take credit cards. East sliders can hit the Reynolds Center.

I don’t know if this is the thread where folks were griping about credit cards but it seemed a good place to put it. I got an e-mail today about game day “enhancements” and one of them is that the west side ticket booths will be able to take credit cards. East sliders can hit the Reynolds Center.
I saw that email...but it still may not apply to day of game ticket purchases for the OSU game.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Here's a decent article about KState and how they hope to change some of the game day atmosphere in stadium. I haven't been a fan of the pregame videos since about the time TG left. And I think we suffer from some of the same stuff KState has with an older season ticket base that went along with an old school coach who had some old school taste (don't get me wrong, Snyder is a great coach who did things the right way in terms of building the team and teaching them the right things). However, they have a much larger alumni and fan base than we do so where's the balance for us in not pissing off the blue hairs w/ money/season tickets but also doing something to engage potential younger fans to actually come to games?

Yeah we're losing somewhere around 3m a year with reduction from 28k(estimated 1980's average) attendance to 18k. But we are getting 7m in tv revenue. 13m per year in combined attendance & tv revenue beats the present day equivalent of 10-11m we were earning in the 80's. (These are my estimates so if you wanna give your estimates go for it. I was discounting the earnings based on cost of the production, fees, etc. I also included what I figured was profit from concession sales. I was estimating for inflation and putting it into todays prices.) I think we are ahead with the new tv contract, and at worst equal. We were still are losing major money with the old tv contract though. If the administration put's some of that contract into the education side of the equation, by reducing subsidation of the athletic program, then that eliminates any profit margin we would have though.

Interesting conversation imo. I wonder how much the increased operational costs (salaries, etc..) offset the increase in revenue?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I wonder at what point do you have to do something truly unique like paint your field blue.

Interesting conversation imo. I wonder how much the increased operational costs (salaries, etc..) offset the increase in revenue?
Those were really rough estimates. And yeah I wasn't even accounting for increased operational costs.

A gold field with black lines would look cool. Don't know if we could get away with the black lines though.
Gold is always hard to pull off on the Turf.... it either looks yellow or brown. A light Gold with Blue lines might look neat but it can also look like dead grass...

635761910563219681-gold.jpg

Reactions: TUMe and Gmoney4WW
A gold field with black lines would look cool. Don't know if we could get away with the black lines though.
I seem to recall a while back a rule coming out that fields could no longer be anything but green except for the endzones. Partially due to Boise State but also some of the other ridiculous non-green turf colors like the eye shattering red at Eastern Washington and possible a yellow field somewhere in Idaho or the Dakotas. And there may actually be a gray field w/ maroon lines somewhere. I believe those schools are grandfathered in until the next time they replace their field surface.

I know the MWC has a rule that Boise cannot wear all blue uniforms at home. There has to be some contrast in the uniform with the field (white or gray pants).

Please tell me someone else heard this and that I am not crazy

I seem to recall a while back a rule coming out that fields could no longer be anything but green except for the endzones. Partially due to Boise State but also some of the other ridiculous non-green turf colors like the eye shattering red at Eastern Washington and possible a yellow field somewhere in Idaho or the Dakotas. And there may actually be a gray field w/ maroon lines somewhere. I believe those schools are grandfathered in until the next time they replace their field surface.

I know the MWC has a rule that Boise cannot wear all blue uniforms at home. There has to be some contrast in the uniform with the field (white or gray pants).

Please tell me someone else heard this and that I am not crazy
I just read about this on the Boise stadium wiki...

There is no NCAA rule on field colors.... The NFL did put a rule through regarding field colors that they deemed the "Boise Rule"

The MWC told Boise to stop wearing their Blue uniforms; however, they reversed course when Boise got their sweetheart deal to stay during realignment.

I just read about this on the Boise stadium wiki...

There is no NCAA rule on field colors.... The NFL did put a rule through regarding field colors that they deemed the "Boise Rule"

The MWC told Boise to stop wearing their Blue uniforms; however, they reversed course when Boise got their sweetheart deal to stay during realignment.
The smurf turf was fun while it was a novelty. The novelty is gone and I think it's pretty hideous. I wonder if ESPN has pull because the games with the lighting and glare off the blue turf are nearly unwatchable

The smurf turf was fun while it was a novelty. The novelty is gone and I think it's pretty hideous. I wonder if ESPN has pull because the games with the lighting and glare off the blue turf are nearly unwatchable
I still like it. But it has moved from novelty to tradition.

We certainly don't want to model our marketing after Stanford. You've got a ranked Stanford squad against a Northwestern squad that has been really solid and is projected to have a good year and Fox is using the Hooterville camera to hide the pathetic crowd.

i had some really great ideas a while back.

1) would be to invite every drummer to the game. Fill in the endzone and at halftime try and set the record for most drummers playing at once. Could you imagine on 3rd down the whole endzone full of drummers beating on drums!

2) invite high school bands. Let them play with our band.

3) raffle ticket idea... Like what the chiefs do. You buy a ticket before the game and sometime in the last 5min of the game the ticket gets read out and the pot goes to whoever had the ticket. Thus keeping fans in their seats the whole game.

4) have a battle of the in state bands. Allow them to sell their cds at the game on the day they play. Set up a stage by the case center. Whoever wins gets to do a halftime show on the final game. Voting can be done over the phone.

5) cheaper food & drinks. Ticket prices are fine.

6) car show by the stadium.

I'm sure I got more but thats off the top of my head

1) would be to invite every drummer to the game. Fill in the endzone and at halftime try and set the record for most drummers playing at once. Could you imagine on 3rd down the whole endzone full of drummers beating on drums!

3) raffle ticket idea... Like what the chiefs do. You buy a ticket before the game and sometime in the last 5min of the game the ticket gets read out and the pot goes to whoever had the ticket. Thus keeping fans in their seats the whole game.

4) have a battle of the in state bands. Allow them to sell their cds at the game on the day they play. Set up a stage by the case center. Whoever wins gets to do a halftime show on the final game. Voting can be done over the phone.

Pft.... cd's!

I dont know what the ncaa rules are for the raffle ticket idea to work but damn if I had a 1 and 27k chance of winning 10 to 20k a game that would get me to games

TU student attendance needs to improve. Some are not interested in football but are service/volunteer oriented. Make a deal with the Big Brothers and Sisters organization, Turley Children’s Home, Boys and Girls Clubs, and other organizations that help kids. Provide the kids a free ticket and use TU students as chaperones. The students can show the kids around the campus before the game, take them to watch the team walk, attend the tailgate (let the kids eat free at the alumni tailgate, make sure the alumni is aware and encourage them to take an interest in interacting with the kids and the students), go to the bounce houses , sit in the student section, etc.... It gets TU students to the game and with a purpose, it showcases TU to kids that might not otherwise see it and finally it may build a younger fan base as these kids grow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
That’s a good idea actually. They should also offer $5 tickets to ORU and TCC students who have no football team to go to games for.

TU announced they welcomed the largest domestic incoming class to TU this year at 820 students

Reactions: TU4ever2
That’s a good idea actually. They should also offer $5 tickets to ORU and TCC students who have no football team to go to games for.

TU announced they welcomed the largest domestic incoming class to TU this year at 820 students

I’ve thought it would be a great idea to offer student tickets to TCC.

Reactions: astonmartin708
TU student attendance needs to improve. Some are not interested in football but are service/volunteer oriented. Make a deal with the Big Brothers and Sisters organization, Turley Children’s Home, Boys and Girls Clubs, and other organizations that help kids. Provide the kids a free ticket and use TU students as chaperones. The students can show the kids around the campus before the game, take them to watch the team walk, attend the tailgate (let the kids eat free at the alumni tailgate, make sure the alumni is aware and encourage them to take an interest in interacting with the kids and the students), go to the bounce houses , sit in the student section, etc.... It gets TU students to the game and with a purpose, it showcases TU to kids that might not otherwise see it and finally it may build a younger fan base as these kids grow up.
Insane liability issues with this.

TU does basically zero marketing to Tulsa’s emerging black middle class despite the fact that a majority of our team is black. We need to do more to make our campus welcoming to this community and establish better ties to facilitate job opportunities for our TU graduates, in particular our departing football players, in their businesses.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU1NNJ
Winning may not bring them in droves but winning consistently can’t hurt. And winning against P5 conferences at home would be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU4ever2

#2 happens once every season. Our band has hosted high school bands at the games once a season for about the last 5 years now. They play with our band in the stands and then they also incorporate them into part of the halftime show.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT