ADVERTISEMENT

Healthcare

I would also track the graduation rates for those students who receive federal loans on a college by college basis. Those schools who perform poorly in this area would risk facing cutbacks in federal loan money.
Then they would just give good grades

I would also track the graduation rates for those students who receive federal loans on a college by college basis. Those schools who perform poorly in this area would risk facing cutbacks in federal loan money.
That’s a novel proposal. I’d like to see it expanded upon, but it’s something I could see voting for if I was an elected representative.

We’ve had this discussion several times in one form or the other. I not against those liberal art majors. Some of the most intelligent people I know have liberal art degrees. What I would like to see is all incoming college freshman go through one on one financial counseling before going into six figure debt for a career path which averages $40k a year. All majors should receive this counseling. Here’s what you’re likely to make. This amount will be your take home. Housing, transportation, insurance, food will cost this amount and your student loan payments will be this. Many kids have no idea what they’re getting into. To them it’s free money.
They technically do go through credit counseling... but the schools tend to oversell them on what they will actually be making. I feel like the average salary for every completed major should be put right next to the description. The problem is, that makes degree programs more competitive to the point that they have to turn away students. (Texas A&M did this with Petroleum Engineers back in the late 2000’s) but it also doesn’t account for the volatility in some of the industries.

So use productivity. Good idea. Maybe they could apply that concept to minimum wage.

It is government run insurance. Much more efficient. Most 1st world countries have it this way. The US is the only one who doesn't. Guess what, our system is the most costly and inefficient system in the world. Half the Republicans on here want it. But you already knew all that before you asked the question in the first place.
Government run insurance could also follow the public utility model which would keep private companies, private investment and consumer choice in the mix, but subject to government regulation about consistent offerings and rates of return. Rates of return could adjusted upwards on the basis of outcomes and customer satisfaction. We consider electricity, water, and natural gas a public need similar to healthcare. It would make health insurance companies less exciting as investments, but public utilities seem to do ok in the stock market.

A friend in Germany this is how Germany does it. He pays less, likes the system and can change carriers if he wants.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Government run insurance could also follow the public utility model which would keep private companies, private investment and consumer choice in the mix, but subject to government regulation about consistent offerings and rates of return. Rates of return could adjusted upwards on the basis of outcomes and customer satisfaction. We consider electricity, water, and natural gas a public need similar to healthcare. It would make health insurance companies less exciting as investments, but public utilities seem to do ok in the stock market.

A friend in Germany this is how Germany does it. He pays less, likes the system and can change carriers if he wants.

My only problem with this is that the ACA dramatically reduced consumer choice when it came to health insurance plans and options. Why wouldn’t this model decrease consumer choice even more ? The Fed’s are notorious for the one size fits all my way or the highway approach. I’m a single payer guy but I believe I’m pretty realistic on what that means as far as options and choices.

Aca contained some good concepts, but most of the people it was created for didn't get it.

I guess when you were getting something for free, you don't want to start paying for it.

My only problem with this is that the ACA dramatically reduced consumer choice when it came to health insurance plans and options. Why wouldn’t this model decrease consumer choice even more ? The Fed’s are notorious for the one size fits all my way or the highway approach. I’m a single payer guy but I believe I’m pretty realistic on what that means as far as options and choices.

How would single payer avoid these issues?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT