ADVERTISEMENT

Golden Hurricane activity at Chapman...

TU Sepp

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Feb 8, 2004
Went there last evening...

Hurricane Monty was/is very excited for the players. He said they worked hard and gave it all to become bowl eligible this year. He was extremely happy for the team. They are just waiting to see where they will be going...

Talked with Evans, Alexander, Floyd, and Mudoh... all very fine young men.

Alexander & Floyd have already graduated...
Mudoh is set to graduate in 16 days...
and Evans is on schedule to graduate next year...

All 4 are very excited about being or become alumni of The University of Tulsa...

All were polite, courteous, and well spoken young men...

They all talked about the team effort it took to become bowl eligible..

Floyd talked some about what a great job Evans did this year in the new offense. He said most of his routes are dictated by what the db's do as to whether he completes the route or breaks it off early and runs an option route. He said Dane must read both the db and receiver on passing plays. So I asked when 4 receivers are going out for a pass. He said there a lot of options to read...

That's called an "Object Defender Key/Read" and it requires both a Pre-Snap recognition and Post-Snap recognition of the secondary and linebackers (not to mention the DL and the process used in escaping if/when there is a breakdown or the infinite number of blitzing scenarios there are on each play) - not only their present positioning but also their possible post-snap positioning as well - and when there are 4/5 WRs in the pattern it's multiplied by the number of WRs. Add that to the few (2-3) Progression-type reads (1-2-3-4-escape) that they employ and add the pace at which they want to play and you get a sense of what our QBs go thru on each play, 4-5 seconds before the play and the 5-6 seconds that each play lasts - times 80-100 plays a game - Pretty Impressive!!

Last edited:
That's called an "Object Defender Key/Read" and it requires both a Pre-Snap recognition and Post-Snap recognition of the secondary and linebackers (not to mention the DL and the process used in escaping if/when there is a breakdown or the infinite number of blitzing scenarios there are on each play) - not only their present positioning but also their possible post-snap positioning as well - and when there are 4/5 WRs in the pattern it's multiplied by the number of WRs. Add that to the few (2-3) Progression-type reads (1-2-3-4-escape) that they employ and add the pace at which they want to play and you get a sense of what our QBs go thru on each play, 4-5 seconds before the play and the 5-6 seconds that each play lasts - times 80-100 plays a game - Pretty Impressive!!
Holy hell, I'm dizzy after reading that.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Yeah I know - and that's 35-50 times a game and not even talking about the run game reads, responsibilities and reactions (if/thens) and any specials that are on from week to week - So it's pretty funny when you hear "my three-year-old could do that"

Well, some on here will have some comments on the run game, but that's an awesome post. Thank you for adding that.

That's the type of complex stuff Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have been doing for the past 15 years. It's when the WRs and QBs read the same thing and are in the same page the offense really click and are truly "unstoppable".

Good posts. I am a bit confused on the run game reads though...since like, you know...Dane never keeps it...

Good posts. I am a bit confused on the run game reads though...since like, you know...Dane never keeps it...

Yeah he does keep it at times. Some of the play action we run is Dane reading the defense pre and post snap. He keeps it and makes a pass... There's a lot more to offense than just a zone read (which is what you're alluding to), a read doesn't mean the QB or the RB have to run the ball.

I find it interesting & kinda funny that u are using logic/computer language terminology. It makes sense to use it in footballese, I've just never thought of the two intertwined.

90% of the time that you see Dane Flash/Run Fake before throwing is a RPO and that is Dane "keeping it" - and almost 100% of the time that he throws the ball horizontal in the flats or quick game.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I find it interesting & kinda funny that u are using logic/computer language terminology. It makes sense to use it in footballese, I've just never thought of the two intertwined.

Most coaches will use the most direct, straightforward language and teach it to their positions, especially QBs, to give them a common language to speak in when the bullets start flying - eliminates all the rhetoric and focuses both on what's important, in the quickest manner possible - if that's computer-speak, idk, I'm just lucky to be able to get my computer to turn on!!

Reactions: TU_BLA
If/then and/or statements, old school computer languages. Pick a book on basic/pascal and you will see it. Newer school, and not an exact translation, object/defender key/read, is most definitely computer speak. Maybe they need to put a computer geek in the coaches box.

Last edited:
Sometimes he tries to keep it and can't get it back from the running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT