ADVERTISEMENT

Games of Interest (2.20.21 - 2.21.21) Weekend Edition

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
Well work (big project) and the weather sucks so I am doing a full weekend version of the GOI. I will update this thread throughout the weekend while I am working. There is a lot of information on here so please bear with me.

We have several postponements and some conferences have started actually cancelling games as they just wont be able to play them due to the virus, contact tracing, travel and schoolwork to make the deadline for the tournament.

Saturday postponements

As discussed in another thread #24 Arkansas at Texas A&M has been postponed. We were supposed to have Arkansas at the Reynolds Center earlier in the schedule but was postponed due to COVID on TU. With a gap in our schedule this would have been a good opportunity to reschedule that game.

UT Arlington at Lafayette is postponed but no one cares as this is looked at like a Lamar game and we know how some of you feel about your favorite team Lamar.

South Florida at SMU is postponed again because SMU has paused all activities.

Sunday Postponements

East Carolina at Wichita State has been postponed again due to virus related pause at ECU. This game was supposed to be in Greenville but it was changed to at Wichita State from the postponement earlier in the season. Just like us and Tulane the Wichita State return to Greenville has been cancelled and dropped from the schedule.

Temple was actually supposed to be at Memphis but that was scrapped and now they host South Florida.

Seeding Discussion

The current conference standings are as follows with their conference record

PlaceTeamConf RecordPlaceTeamConf Record
1Wichita State9-27UCF 5-10*
2Houston11-38Tulane 4-8
3Memphis 8-39USF3-6
4SMU 7-4*10Temple 3-9
5Cincinnati 5-4*11ECU2-8*
6Tulsa7-7

Tulsa has no shot at a bye still. Sadly we can still be Conference Co Champs if Houston and Wichita State lose every Game and we win Every Game. lol. SO YOU SAY THERE IS A CHANCE lol. I just would like to have a bye and with 4 of us within 2 games of each other I think it is doable for that number 3 seed. As long as we are in the top 5 we dont have to play on Thursday and that is definately doable The games with an asterisk are the teams we still have left to play.

This Weekends Games

Todays games

AAC Games
UCF 109 at Tulane 151 11 a.m. ESPN2
South Fla. 159 at SMU 58 Postponed again

Rest of GOI
Missouri 43 at South Carolina 116 1:00 p.m. ESPN2
Oral Roberts 186 at South Dakota 184 3:30 p.m.
Kansas St. 235 at TCU 103 4:00 p.m. BIG12/ESPN+
Arkansas 24 at Texas A&M 134 Postponed
UT Arlington 242 at Lafayette 204 Postponed

Sundays Games

AAC Games
Houston 8 at Cincinnati 118 12:00 p.m. ESPN
South Fla. 159 at Temple 160 1:00 p.m. ESPN+
Wichita St. 69 at East Carolina 147 Postponed
Temple 160 at Memphis 62 Postponed

Rest of GOI
Oral Roberts 186 at South Dakota 184 2:30 p.m.

NET Rankings Through February 19
Houston 8 - No Change
SMU 58 - Up 1
Memphis 62 - Up 1
Wichita St. 69 - Down 1
UCF 109 - Down 1
Tulsa 114 - Up 1
Cincinnati 118 - No Change
East Carolina 147 - No Change
Tulane 151 - No Change
South Fla. 159 - No Change
Temple 160 - Up 1

Quadrant Tracker

Q1

Win
Houston H W 8
Memphis A W 62

Loss
Houston A L 8
Wichita St. A L 69

Q2

Win
Cincinnati A W 118
Memphis H W 62

Loss
SMU H L 58
Wichita St. H L 69

Q3

Win
East Carolina A W 147
South Fla. A W 159
Temple H W 160

Loss
South Carolina N L 116
TCU N L 103
Temple A L 160
Tulane H L 151
UCF H L 109

Q4

Wins
Northwestern St. H W 309
UT Arlington H W 242

Loss

RankSchoolRecordRoadNeutralHomeQuad 1Quad 2Quad 3Quad 4
8Houston16-35-31-010-02-14-18-12-0
58SMU11-45-20-06-20-34-05-12-0
62Memphis12-62-21-39-10-23-36-13-0
69Wichita St.11-44-20-07-22-22-26-01-0
109UCF7-112-80-05-31-62-34-20-0
114Tulsa9-94-30-25-42-22-23-52-0
118Cincinnati7-73-40-04-31-20-35-21-0
147ECU7-81-40-06-41-20-33-33-0
151Tulane9-83-40-06-40-31-23-35-0
159South Fla.6-82-21-23-40-31-33-22-0
160Temple4-91-50-03-40-40-33-21-0

Non Conference Teams Tulsa has played

TCU11-82-43-06-41-72-04-14-0
116S. Carolina5-101-51-13-41-50-43-11-0
242UT Arlington8-113-71-04-40-10-31-57-2
309Northwestern St.6-144-100-12-30-30-50-16-5

UCF over Tulane by 3
Kansas state over TCU. K state is a sub 200 net so this isn’t good at all
Missouri beat South Carolina
South Dakota over oral Roberts

I posted that Houston was at Cincinnati today and it is actually the other way around. Cincinnati is at Houston. Houston is 10-0 at home so this actually works in our favor for the hunt for the bye in the tournament.

With UCF losing yesterday that acutally moved us 1 spot up in the standings and we are at the 6 spot, 2 and a half games behind Memphis who is in Third and 1 spot from not having to play on Thursday.

Remaining Matchups

Wichita StHoustonMemphisSMUCincinnatiTulsaUCF
SMUCincinnatiTulane@Wichita St@HoustonCincinnatiTemple
@TulaneUSF@Cincinnati@Cincinnati@TulsaECUTulsa
@Temple@Memphis@USFTulsaTulane@UCFECU
HoustonMemphis@SMU
SMU
@ECU

Cincinnati has the toughest Schedule left and with so many games left to play in the next 2 weeks this bodes well for us for them to get a few losses. Hopefully one is to us.

SMU only has 3 games left but they are not easy games.

Memphis has 4 and 2 of them are not that easy but we need them to lose at least 3 for us to have a shot at 3rd.

We have to run the table.

This is just my opinion to the two weeks left in the season.

NET Rankings Through February 20
Houston 7 - Up 1
SMU 58 - No Change
Memphis 62 - No Change
Wichita St. 68 - Up 1
UCF 104 - Up 5
Tulsa 113 - Up 1
Cincinnati 117 - Up 1
East Carolina 148 - Down 1
Tulane 154 - Down 3
South Fla. 155 - Up 4
Temple 163 - Down 3

Quadrant Tracker

Q1

Win
Houston H W 7
Memphis A W 62

Loss
Houston A L 7
Wichita St. A L 68

Q2

Win
Cincinnati A W 117
Memphis H W 62

Loss
SMU H L 58
Wichita St. H L 68

Q3

Win
East Carolina A W 148
South Fla. A W 155

Loss
South Carolina N L 120
TCU N L 114
Temple A L 163
Tulane H L 154
UCF H L 104

Q4

Wins
Northwestern St. H W 313
Temple H W 163
UT Arlington H W 246

Loss

We're probably going to get a 6 seed, right where we are right now. It would take a 2 or max 3 win finish to the season for Cincinnati, for us to have a chance at the 5 seed. The best we will do is a 5 seed, and that is doubtful.

We're probably going to get a 6 seed, right where we are right now. It would take a 2 or max 3 win finish to the season for Cincinnati, for us to have a chance at the 5 seed. The best we will do is a 5 seed, and that is doubtful.
That does all depend on what TU team shows up. I believe we have a real good shot at the 3 spot as long as we win these games. What do we deserve? That’s a different discussion but we have a chance and I don’t believe we will be 6. We should be 5 or higher

Tulsa has no shot at a bye still. Sadly we can still be Conference Co Champs if Houston and Wichita State lose every Game and we win Every Game. lol. SO YOU SAY THERE IS A CHANCE lol. I just would like to have a bye and with 4 of us within 2 games of each other I think it is doable for that number 3 seed. As long as we are in the top 5 we dont have to play on Thursday and that is definately doable The games with an asterisk are the teams we still have left to play
Our best shot is to beat Cincinnati and have both of those squads drop a couple more games as we win out. Having the double wins over Memphis and Cincy gives us a little advantage but we have no room for error.

Our best shot is to beat Cincinnati and have both of those squads drop a couple more games as we win out. Having the double wins over Memphis and Cincy gives us a little advantage but we have no room for error.
Exactly

Our win over Houston looks better all the time. They lost one of their best players midseason and they might actually be better for it.

if we could have only validated that win by not losing stupid games to Tulane, Temple and UCF. I can handle 4 conference losses if it’s to Houston, WSU, SMU. Those other 3 are inexcusable.

Reactions: loca2874
We have five Quad 3 losses. Our at large chances ended there.
Currently you are correct. There are still two weeks for some of that to be rectified. I am still in a quandary on what they are going to do for the tourney if there are positives before the games begin and if they will have a list of replacements

Reactions: libertychamp
Currently you are correct. There are still two weeks for some of that to be rectified. I am still in a quandary on what they are going to do for the tourney if there are positives before the games begin and if they will have a list of replacements

It will be interesting to see if some teams omit the conference tournament if they are solid on the NCAA field but the conferences may have a huge penalty await them if that happens.

It will be interesting to see if some teams omit the conference tournament if they are solid on the NCAA field but the conferences may have a huge penalty await them if that happens.
Yes! That’s exactly what I have been wondering the last couple weeks. Who is going to not participate in the conference tourney? Are they going to have the tourneys? Will they allow someone else get the auto bid if not everyone participates? What if teams have positives that would keep them from the ncaa tournament?

If I were the AD at UH and WSU I would
Withdraw from the AAC tourney and rest.
If that happens why would the NCAA give the tourney champ a bid.
This is a big issue for every multi bid league.

My League assessment of present outbreaks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ECU, SMU, and Memphis have problems with covid right now, and that's it at present in our league. If nobody else breaks out, all three will have 16-17 days after having broken out with problems, before their next game. If so, the Wichita v E Carolina game today should be the last cancellation if all three can get their problem under control in 16 and 17 days. The only teams that have had a problem last more than 16 or 17 days was Cincy & USF.(Cincy approx 20 days to get cleared. USF approximately 25 days to get cleared.)

The only outbreak of the three presently going on, that could directly affect us is the ECU outbreak. We are day 17 into their outbreak when we are scheduled to play them. I am going by the reporting dates, whereas it is possible they could have been broken out a day earlier than they reported it.

Last edited:
My present League assessment of Covid outbreaks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ECU, SMU, and Memphis have problems with covid right now, and that's it at present in our league. If nobody else breaks out, all three will have 16-17 days after having broken out with problems, before their next game. If so, the Wichita v E Carolina game today should be the last cancellation if all three can get their problem under control in 16 and 17 days. The only teams that have had a problem last more than 16 or 17 days was Cincy & USF.(Cincy approx 20 days to get cleared. USF approximately 25 days to get cleared.)

The only outbreak of the three presently going on, that could directly affect us is the ECU outbreak. We are day 17 into their outbreak when we are scheduled to play them. I am going by the reporting dates, whereas it is possible they could have been broken out a day earlier than they reported it.
That sounds about right except you forgot Tulane who is in and out of Covid Protocol.

That sounds about right except you forgot Tulane who is in and out of Covid Protocol.
No I didn't. I was only commenting on who is broken out now. They are not, as far as I know.

I commented on the length of time to break out of covid as an aside about how long the present outbreaks might last. As far as I know Tulane has never taken over 16 days to break out of it, so they didn't get mentioned.

I'm concerned with present tense. I don't particularly care about past outbreaks in the league.

Last edited:
I rearranged where I had the word present in the title of my post just now, to make it clearer. But you should have been able to discern that from the actual text of the post.

No I didn't. I was only commenting on who is broken out now. They are not, as far as I know.

I commented on the length of time to break out of covid as an aside about how long the present outbreaks might last. As far as I know Tulane has never taken over 16 days to break out of it, so they didn't get mentioned.

I'm concerned with present tense. I don't particularly care about past outbreaks in the league.
I got you.

If I were the AD at UH and WSU I would
Withdraw from the AAC tourney and rest.
If that happens why would the NCAA give the tourney champ a bid.
This is a big issue for every multi bid league.
The NCAA doesn’t care how a league decides its automatic qualifier. Conference tournaments determining the rep came about primarily in the hopes that an upset would give conferences an extra bid. For traditional one-bid conferences that just means the regular season champ doesn’t go, for the ACC it means an extra bid if the team that went 2-16 in conference gets hot for three or four games.

This year only Houston is a lock for an at-large with the first official bracket making them a two seed. Looking at the NET, WSU would likely be shooting themselves in the foot if they sat out the tourney. I believe we are a one bid league this year unless somebody, anybody except Houston wins the tournament.

My League assessment of present outbreaks.

The only teams that have had a problem last more than 16 or 17 days was Cincy & USF.(Cincy approx 20 days to get cleared. USF approximately 25 days to get cleared.)
Guess ECU decided to join the special ed class on dealing with covid, and sit in between Cincy and USF.

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874 and TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT