ADVERTISEMENT

Games of Interest (11.12.22-11.16.22) Jackson St.

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
ITS GAMEDAY!!!!!

Today is the home opener for the Men’s team as they take on Jackson State who is 0-1 on the season. Jackson State lost to Abilene Christian 65-56. Abilene Christian built a big 20 point lead at half but Jackson State started clawing back but was not able to get on a good run to get it close. Ken Evans Jr. (19 points) and Gabe Wilson (16 points) were the only players in double figures. Both teams shot the same from the field but the tale of this game is that Jackson St. went 2-19 from beyond the Arc. They can make free throws so keeping them off the line needs to be a focus.

So there was a game that messed me up as Mississippi Valley State played Hawaii in the Rainbow Classic and lost 72-54. This is a must win game for TU.

Also if you didn’t see Temple pulled off the upset of #16 Villanova. South Florida gave #15 Auburn a good game and made them sweat. The American went 4-2 yesterday. Hopefully the conference wins more out of Conference games.

Today’s games

We don’t have a powerhouse of games today but there is still college football. The game to watch today is #17 Tulane hosting #22 UCF. This could very well determine who could be going to the NY6 game. The only bad thing is the game is at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN2. So set your DVR’s to record that game. I will have both games up.

GO TU!!!!

Today’s games

TeamRatingTeamRatingTimeTV
Jackson St.277atTulsa1812:00 p.m.ESPN+
Alcorn265atWichita St.873:00 p.m.ESPN+
Presbyterian271atEast Carolina1843:00 p.m.ESPN+
UC Davis218atLMU (CA)2089:00 p.m.WCC Net

Other Games of Interest (Expansion Teams, Possible Teams and TU Women)

Washington St.61atBoise St.296:00 p.m.MW Net
Lindsey Wilson College#N/AatMurray St.217:00 p.m.ESPN+

Posting late as I had another failed attempt at getting a new phone. Good game yesterday with plenty to work on. Hopefully they get it fixed for Thursday against Loyola Chicago. Short post today.

Today’s games

Oklahoma St.51atOakland1711:30 p.m.ESPN+
Eastern Ill.356atCentral Mich.3161:00 p.m.ESPN+
Mississippi Val.355vsYale1476:30 p.m.
Eastern KY.268atCincinnati9911:00 a.m.ESPN+

ITS GAMEDAY!!!!!

Tulsa Women’s team travels to Fayetteville to take on Arkansas. Arkansas is 2-0 with wins over Arkansas Pine Bluff (70-50) and Central Arkansas (72-34). Tulsa has had similar win differentials going into this game. This will be both teams biggest test so far this season. This game wil be on SEC Network. So if you don’t have the SEC Net you should be able to find it on the ESPN App.

Today’s other games

Oral Roberts is taking on Houston in the first day of the Cougar Classic and Mississippi Valley State finishes up its time in the Rainbow classic today.

And One

Todays And One is a melancholy one. Tonights game pitting Norther Iowa and Virginia has been cancelled in the Wake of the tragedy that struck Charlottesville yesterday in which a former football player shot and killed three current football players and injured two others. Fortunately (if you can say that) the shooter has been taken into custody.

Two games this season have been postponed and two games (both tonight) have been cancelled. The other cancelled game is Bryant vs Maine-Fort Kent due to injuries with MFK. MFK had to forfeit as they cant field a roster.

GO TU!!!!

Today’s games

Western Ill.225atUCF1016:00 p.m.ESPN+
Stetson309atSouth Fla.2456:00 p.m.ESPN+
Oral Roberts155atHouston37:00 p.m.ESPN+
Mississippi Val.355vsEastern Wash.2218:30 p.m.

Other Games of Interest (Expansion Teams, Possible Teams and TU Women)

UMES302atCharlotte1886:00 p.m.ESPN+
Fla. Atlantic131atFlorida596:00 p.m.SEC Net
ST Mary's (TX)#N/AatUTSA3267:00 p.m.
Tulsa Women
Tulsa108atArkansas387:00 p.m.ESPN+

So lol at Red Dragon Cooch. Yes UH is pounding ORU, but he was on here crowing about playing in front of a sold out Frittata (sp?) Center. Place is half full. Pretty ridiculous for the #3 team in the country.

Recap

UCF beat Western Illinois
Stetson beat south Florida
Houston big over ORU
Eastern Washington defeats Mississippi valley state

Florida Atlantic edges out Florida by 2
charlotte over UMES
Utsa over Saint Mary’s (TX)

Tulsa Women dropped a close one to Arkansas Last night on the road. IT was a close game for the most part. Arkansas got a good lead going to half and then TU comes out firing the 3 ball and got close and it was that way to the end for the most part. This was a good test for the ladies. They do look like they are better than last year.

Only a few games today. Oral Roberts is in the Cougar Classic taking on Texas Southern after getting the motorboat by Houston. Houston looks like they have gotten better as well.

And One

I will not be posting tomorrow as I will be on the road driving to South Carolina to prepare for the Myrtle Beach Invitaitonal. I will post on Game day baring any real issues. I have to work from my phone Wednesday and Thursday morning. Lol. If you are going down to Myrtle beach let us know as Nevada and I will be there and do enjoy talking to other posters.

GO TU!!!!

Today’s games

Vanderbilt66atTemple1116:00 p.m.ESPN+
Oral Roberts155vsTexas Southern1977:00 p.m.ORUSN
New Mexico162atSMU447:00 p.m.ESPN+
Memphis31atSaint Louis638:00 p.m.CBSSN
LMU (CA)208atUC Irvine1339:00 p.m.ESPN+

Reactions: nevadanatural
Tulsa Women dropped a close one to Arkansas Last night on the road. IT was a close game for the most part. Arkansas got a good lead going to half and then TU comes out firing the 3 ball and got close and it was that way to the end for the most part. This was a good test for the ladies. They do look like they are better than last year.

Only a few games today. Oral Roberts is in the Cougar Classic taking on Texas Southern after getting the motorboat by Houston. Houston looks like they have gotten better as well.

And One

I will not be posting tomorrow as I will be on the road driving to South Carolina to prepare for the Myrtle Beach Invitaitonal. I will post on Game day baring any real issues. I have to work from my phone Wednesday and Thursday morning. Lol. If you are going down to Myrtle beach let us know as Nevada and I will be there and do enjoy talking to other posters.

GO TU!!!!

Today’s games

Vanderbilt66atTemple1116:00 p.m.ESPN+
Oral Roberts155vsTexas Southern1977:00 p.m.ORUSN
New Mexico162atSMU447:00 p.m.ESPN+
Memphis31atSaint Louis638:00 p.m.CBSSN
LMU (CA)208atUC Irvine1339:00 p.m.ESPN+
Drive careful. I95 is a bad stretch from VA through NC.

Reactions: loca2874
Wow Vegas likes Loyola by 8
That’s stupid and I wish I was in Vegas

Wow Vegas likes Loyola by 8
That’s stupid and I wish I was in Vegas
I saw Loyola on TV and unless we are turnover city or don't rebound we should right there in the game.

I found it funny that right after SIU beat OSU by 1 in Stillwater, they(SIU) lose to the newly minted D1 team So Indiana by 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry Kendall
Agree
Vegas is reflecting the 6 point win over Jack state that was not as close as the final score

The transfer portal has changed the way colleges recruit. For example, Texas defeated #2 Gonzaga 93-74 last night. 4 of the Longhorns 5 starters are transfers via the portal. The 5th starter is a freshman, a 5-star #4 in the nation recruit.

IMO, this is the biggest reason we are seeing more parity this year. Top teams are losing at home to lesser teams that have their rosters full of transfers they would never have gotten even a sniff from if they tried to recruit them as a HS senior.

Having recruited while coaching at the D2 level, I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to recruit in this environment. They can’t rely on the summer AAU circuits like they used to and must rely on watching game film of players that enter the portal.

It’s always easier to evaluate a prospect in person than it is on film. I have to give credit to the coaches that fill their rosters thru the portal. In most cases, it’s the only chance lesser schools have in recruiting 4 and 5-star players.

Two games in, Loyola is one of the worst 3pt shooting teams in the country (only making 20%; 10-50), and they've turned the ball over 40 times in 2 games. They rebounded well in both games, but Fairleigh Dickinson (who they had to beat in OT) doesn't have a player taller than 6'6, and vs. Illinois-Chicago, there wasn't much opportunity for either team to rebound as Loyola shot 71.4%, and Illinois-Chicago shot 52.9%

It is winnable, but they will kill us if our ball screen defense is like it was vs. Jackson St. That should be easy to correct with Selebangue (who IMO was the worst at it in that game) in only a couple of practices. It didn't seem to be a speed issue but more of a lack of recognition and/or misunderstanding.

And as I.I. said, we must be aggressive on the boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT