ADVERTISEMENT

Games at Reynolds Center

Nov 3, 2016
What are some of the most memorable games at the RenCen? Nostalgia kicked in tonight for me as new season is approaching.

The old crowds were wild. Be nice one day to pack it every game like used to.

UNLV in 99': Kurtz missed a layup to win it in final seconds. Was a 10pm or midnight game on ESPN. The Rebels had Shawn Marion.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Memphis in 2008 I believe. They drove length of court and made layup over 7 foot Jerome Jordan to win by 1

TCU when Billy Tubbs was their coach. It was fun heckling him

Drubbing OSU.

Wichita State last year.

Both UCONN wins.

Cincinnati last year.

Nevada in WAC tournament.

All those games against Hawaii.

Kansas.

Say what you will, we've had some of our best home wins in a long time since Haith came here.

I just yelled "He called glass" a million times that night.

The crazy Tulane comeback game when Shaq and Juice were freshmen has to be up there.

The Fresno loss the Elite 8 year is one of the most memorable games to me. That team didn't think they would lose another game all year. I remember Coley trying to find a way to score even though time had expired.

The TCU game that same year was a crazy game. Crowd was wild and Shelton outscored TCU in first half.

The WAC tournament game vs Hawaii that wasn't full but had a great atmosphere.

The noise when we took the floor vs KU at home was the loudest ever.

UNLV game is the loudest I've ever heard at Reynolds.

Marion gets a rebound over Ruffin I think for the win. Sucked for Tulsa.

GO TU!!!

Last edited:
I just yelled "He called glass" a million times that night.

The crazy Tulane comeback game when Shaq and Juice were freshmen has to be up there.

The Fresno loss the Elite 8 year is one of the most memorable games to me. That team didn't think they would lose another game all year. I remember Coley trying to find a way to score even though time had expired.

The TCU game that same year was a crazy game. Crowd was wild and Shelton outscored TCU in first half.
That Fresno game was one of the games of the year in the entire NCAA. Two great coaches, two really good teams, some outstanding players and the crowd was phenomenal.

Gold, was that the TCU game where Eric Coley jumped over Rebel Paulk just below the foul line and posterized him? That was the game where Billy turned to me and asked me politely to "STFU"

The WAC championship against Nevada. At one point it got so loud that Nevada called a time out. When the players got back on the court, the crowd got just as loud as before. That was in spite of thousands of empty seats. Dante's three against Fresno the week before was the other loudest moment I remember.

Another great moment I remember didn't even involve TU. It was a WAC tournament game and I believe one of the teams was Boise St. The team that was down four points with the last possession hit a three, got fouled, and made the free throw to send it to overtime.

Memphis, February 1, 2006. They were #1 and it was the first game we played against them in C-USA. We got hammered...I didn't see the 2nd half...my wife went into labor during the first half and we left.

I remember that game like it was yesterday.

This is prob my #1 most memorable. Was on the floor in the student section ready to rush the court.

WSU two years ago was pretty shocking. The students with the "UConn't do that during that!" win was hysterical with those awful shirts.

SMU game two years ago was a tremendous atmosphere. Cinci too.

WAC was a weird home but I sure loved our Hawaii rivalry in those days.

As a bonus, senior year in hs dad took me to Tulsa for my first bball game. It was TCU at the convention center and seemingly the entire crowd accosted Billy Tubbs The whole game. Sealed the deal on coming to TU for me.

This is prob my #1 most memorable. Was on the floor in the student section ready to rush the court.

WSU two years ago was pretty shocking. The students with the "UConn't do that during that!" win was hysterical with those awful shirts.

SMU game two years ago was a tremendous atmosphere. Cinci too.

WAC was a weird home but I sure loved our Hawaii rivalry in those days.

As a bonus, senior year in hs dad took me to Tulsa for my first bball game. It was TCU at the convention center and seemingly the entire crowd accosted Billy Tubbs The whole game. Sealed the deal on coming to TU for me.
Was that TU's first year in the WAC and Billy's first trip back to Tulsa after his infamous "I'll never bring a team here again"? If it was the PA system played the theme song from "Welcome Back Kotter"...it was hysterical.

Memphis, February 1, 2006. They were #1 and it was the first game we played against them in C-USA. We got hammered...I didn't see the 2nd half...my wife went into labor during the first half and we left.

I remember that game like it was yesterday.

You can find that play of CDR and Carney passing to each other off the backboard on YouTube. It was more impressive in person.

It sucked getting beat like that so many times, but you could argue it helped encourage the school to get its act together in basketball. It took some time, but it seems like the program is in so much better shape now.

I'm pretty sure it was Tubbs' first trip back to Tulsa...1997?
Sounds about right. We joined the WAC in '96 so '96-97 would have been the first season for basketball.

I always found it interesting how much Billy Tubbs hated Tulsa...and he was from here.

Sounds about right. We joined the WAC in '96 so '96-97 would have been the first season for basketball.

I always found it interesting how much Billy Tubbs hated Tulsa...and he was from here.

Tubbs loves Tulsa. I ran into him at Suede back in the day. It was surreal.

He didn't like TU much and our fans hated him way more. We beat OU when Nolan was the coach and he vowed never to play here ever again. That's what was so funny about him coming back with TCU.

Another fun game was Digger Phelps, who bagged on TU in the NIT win over Syracuse. We got to tear into him in the 90's as well.

Most coaches and media are tamer now. It would be fun if our fans would have paid attention to what Coach Taint from Cincinnati said last season when we won. I will try to educate them. And there's a similar issue with Zelton Steed that again people have never been able to get behind. Fans need to have more fun with this stuff.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
On the road at SMU was pretty cool when Tony hit the three in OT, 2500+Tulsa fans at Reynolds South erupted!!!!!!!!

I think Dumb and Dumber was coaching at the time for the Mustangs.

GO TU!!!!

On the road at SMU was pretty cool when Tony hit the three in OT, 2500+Tulsa fans at Reynolds South erupted!!!!!!!!

GO TU!!!!

That was, and most likely always will be, the most fun I have ever had at a TU basketball game (Cincy 2nd round NCAA is close 2nd). We had so many fans in Moody and we were so loud.

Dante Swanson banking it in at the buzzer against Fresno is my most
memorable moment.

On the road at SMU was pretty cool when Tony hit the three in OT,
2500+Tulsa fans at Reynolds South erupted!!!!!!!!

GO TU!!!!

Two of the best ones, indeed! Wasn't it Dement (Jim?) coaching at the
time that Tony hit that shot? We had seats in the corner that Heard shot
from, and I wondered when he turned it loose, if it would clear the corner
of the backboard, as he was falling towards the end line....Nothing but
net! I don't know about the 2500, but we obviously out numbered the SMU
fans by at least two to one....

One of my favorites was a couple of years later....SMU was closing on
us, and we were in deep foul trouble......Less than a minute to play, and
Dante came around the key, and all of a sudden raised up and shot that
jumper where his leg seemed to kick forward a little bit....Ka-boom, and
SMU was through...

Great days for TU basketball.......

Most memorable games at Reynolds:

1. Opening tip against Cleveland State. Every seat was full. I still have my photo of that tip.
2. The Fresno and UNLV losses at the buzzer. There were a thousand casual fans there that would have been locked into TU for life had we won. Many under 15 years of age.
3. The Nevada tournament Championship game. Inflated ticket prices gave us the rowdiest and loudest 4000 fans ever to assemble at Reynolds.
4. Coley's Triple-Double.....never before....never since....
5. The CBI (I know it was rinky dink) but it revived that Town support atmosphere of the Nolan era for a couple of nights.
6. The Cincy and UCONN wins the past two years.
7. The OSU blow-out.
8. Memphis length of court dribble to beat us.
9. Swanson banker.
10. The Hawaii overtime game... a killer.......

After looking at the list, some of the most memorable ones were traumatic close losses. We have had almost no buzzer beaters with a full house over a ranked team at Reynolds......YET.......

Watching Willie Biles light up North Texas State in the "Pit" in Denton. Scored 47 making 20 of his last 25 shots and most with two guys on him and most from outside today's 3 point line. Probably should have had 60 in today's game....
Brought 4 friends from SMU to see the Tulsa stud. By the end of the game we would all shout "BOOM!" the minute it left his hands.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
This thread is making me sad. Hard to imagine that kind of fan dedication coming back in this day and age no matter how well we play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT