ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

You want Rader back? Again, not defending Monty and I’m pissed we don’t have the talent, especially at receiver, to compete. But the Rader years were like an extended version of the last couple. We had an NFL quarterback and receiver and we lost idiotic games.

Seriously were you even born then.

Seriously were you even born then.

The first football game I cared about as a kid was A&M. Before that I rode cardboard down the hill. But I went to every game with my dad and absolutely hated the playcalling back then. It’s hard to look back on that era after ‘91. There were bright moments and a lot of not so great ones. It was better than this crap but so is Walking Dead.

The first football game I cared about as a kid was A&M. Before that I rode cardboard down the hill. But I went to every game with my dad and absolutely hated the playcalling back then. It’s hard to look back on that era after ‘91. There were bright moments and a lot of not so great ones. It was better than this crap but so is Walking Dead.

That explains a lot...

Was the Iowa game during Rader’s time? That’s the first game I distinctly remember watching as a kid. Every other time before that I played football with other kids on the hill in the north end zone.

Was the Iowa game during Rader’s time? That’s the first game I distinctly remember watching as a kid. Every other time before that I played football with other kids on the hill in the north end zone.

Yep.. 96... in 93 we went to Iowa and lost by one on a last minute TD...

At least Rader threw in some wrinkles like the wishbone formation. Hell, if all we’re going to do is run the ball, might as well let President be QB and use the wishbone again. We have three backs we could use.

I was 8. Someone didn’t have a childhood . . .

I was 23 at the AnM game...

My childhood was spent, fishing, hunting and playing football... and it was quite enjoyable.

But when I was 8, I remember thinking that FA Dry going to TCU was the end of the world...

I remember being 5 and crying when Nolan left. But football was usually pretty crappy during my younger years. ‘91 was an exception. Hard to fault me for paying attention then.

Honestly, we can argue that this coach was worse or better, but getting back to the facts. It isn't going well right now. Most people think Montgomery is a nice guy, but sadly sometimes nice guys do finish last. Whether now or at the end of the season he needs to go. If he went now, I don't see it getting much worse. It might be seen as a commitment to change.

At least Rader threw in some wrinkles like the wishbone formation. Hell, if all we’re going to do is run the ball, might as well let President be QB and use the wishbone again. We have three backs we could use.

We need to hire a coach with triple option experience mid season. Guarantee you that would give us one or two wins this season with the OL and RB talent we have. Plus, President is a legitimate run threat.

It’s a stretch but hell what we are doing this season is so inept it wouldn’t be worse.

People though Bill Blankenship was a decent guy as well. Strange we did better when we had an asshole (Graham) as coach.

Reactions: TUMe and cmullinsTU
IIRC, the last, or one of the last, straws for BB was back to back homecoming losses. People started forgetting their check books when they visited campus after that. There’s a lot of money spent on that in order to raise money for things besides football. So too much of that isn’t tolerated. He will limp into that game. If he doesn’t win that, I doubt he makes it into next season.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
People though Bill Blankenship was a decent guy as well. Strange we did better when we had an asshole (Graham) as coach.

We need to bring back Graham.

I knew him well enough to suggest we at least contact him in our bye week to see if he’d come back for the rest of this season for a short term contract. And for a decent amount of money he would definitely come back. He legitimately enjoyed his time at TU.

He simply has a big ego and thought he could work his way up to a school he could win a national championship. I’ve never understood why so many TU fans think that’s a bad thing.

IIRC, the last, or one of the last, straws for BB was back to back homecoming losses. People started forgetting their check books when they visited campus after that. There’s a lot of money spent on that in order to raise money for things besides football. So too much of that isn’t tolerated. He will limp into that game. If he doesn’t win that, I doubt he makes it into next season.

I want Graham, NOW. BUT, Unless he is fired mid season, I bet he gets next year purely because of Zach Smith. The kid who is unfairly being expected to save the team and Monty’s career.

I want Graham, NOW. BUT, Unless he is fired mid season, I bet he gets next year purely because of Zach Smith. The kid who is unfairly being expected to save the team and Monty’s career.

Heck, he got the job because of Chad President.... I could easily see him keeping it because of another Baylor refugee.

Idk, we aren't the only ones who see him quit. Tulsa has never done that

As far as Graham goes I am under no illusion when it comes to him. He is a professional coach interested in achieving the highest level he can. Tulsa was part of that. While he left Rice and Pitt in less than stellar ways he was a professional with Tulsa.

If Texas Tech was going to come open he would drop us for them. Fortunately they seem to have got it together and have a freshman QB who looks to be a prospect for Sundays. No other Texas jobs will be coming open, except for UNT, we're in a better position in lots of ways than they are.

Will Graham stay forever? Probably not, he will leave the program in better shape.

Cincy losing makes it less likely now, but UCF making the play offs might give us a chance to keep someone like Graham. The potential to make the play off is a big deal for up and coming coaches. That sort of opportunity is how you get a TCU situation.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Heck, he got the job because of Chad President.... I could easily see him keeping it because of another Baylor refugee.

I would hope the just wait, I got the guy in the wings we need, would be painfully obviously not true about our current situation.

I’m not impressed with Montgomery’s post game comments... seems like he doesn’t care anymore.

I wish I could be paid $1.4 million to be so terrible at my job

Idk, we aren't the only ones who see him quit. Tulsa has never done that

And I don’t expect it to, I’m just emotional and overreacting. I do think it should happen in the off season but I will be SHOCKED if it does because of the contract he has. Not only is it long, he’s also the highest paid coach in TU history.

Explaining to the people who already dislike athletics that we made a mistake on a hire and contract extension, in addition to the amount required for the buy out, make a firing on the off season incredibly unlikely.

I believe it's 1.5 since the cut, but I don't have any hard knowledge on it.

However the cost of not firing him will much more than the buy out.

$1.7 and change from what I understand. His salary cut wasn’t as significant as was originally thought.

And I don’t expect it to, I’m just emotional and overreacting. I do think it should happen in the off season but I will be SHOCKED if it does because of the contract he has. Not only is it long, he’s also the highest paid coach in TU history.

Explaining to the people who already dislike athletics that we made a mistake on a hire and contract extension, in addition to the amount required for the buy out, make a firing on the off season incredibly unlikely.
He’s only making $330,000 more than Graham did 8 years ago and that was with CUSA revenue. Pitt initially didn’t hire him because they felt Tulsa was paying too much and only came to the table with $2 million when their coach got arrested and they needed a quick hire. $2 million won’t get you a top shelf coordinator now and Graham is getting paid $3.2 not to coach. Any figure to get him would have to exceed that. Which TU doesn’t have. So, as a percentage of athletic department discretionary revenue/current market pressures, Montgomery is not the highest paid coach in history and Graham’s not coming back. Sorry. Those of you thinking Seth Littrell: he makes $1.2 now and is looking to triple it, not take a lateral hire in a brutal place to recruit where the previous coach didnt win and took a pay cut, just so his wife can shop for houses off Detroit Ave./thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT