ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Monty makes 1.8 mil per year? Are you serious?
With incentives. Base pay this year is supposed to be 1.590 iirc. It’s more if you count the car and other perks. He was hired at 1.4 and its incremental regardless of performance as I recall. He was making $800K as National OC of the year as I recall.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
With incentives. Base pay this year is supposed to be 1.590 iirc. It’s more if you can’t the car and other perks. He was hired at 1.4 and its incremental regardless of performance as I recall.

Yep this is what I understand it to be as well.

I would hope the just wait, I got the guy in the wings we need, would be painfully obviously not true about our current situation.

Oh..come on.. you win 4 games the previous 2 yrs, you fire your coach, and then you interview this hall monitor that says he knows how to run the Baylor offense and he has a 4* qb to sweeten the deal...

Heck our ADs have hired people with lesser creds .

Oh..come on.. you win 4 games the previous 2 yrs, you fire your coach, and then you interview this hall monitor that says he knows how to run the Baylor offense and he has a 4* qb to sweeten the deal...

Heck our ADs have hired people with lesser creds .

I think he was referring to Monty having Smith in the wings for QB after having President and him being a total bust.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Montgomery is not the highest paid coach in history and Graham’s not coming back.

I know graham isn’t coming back. My highest paid comment is based on raw numbers, which is accurate, combined with the fact that he’s likely here another couple of seasons regardless due to the poor decision making we made on his extension.

And I’m well aware of the fact an extension was necessary after year 2 to keep him because he could’ve left then. But 10 years was not warranted. It was a high risk/medium reward contract. And it is proving to be fruitless. Due to the financial situation though we get to enjoy this “football” for at least another couple of seasons.

Forgive me, but I need to vent considerably about this. People like to b*tch about the Haith pay and contract, at least he competes with Top 25 teams and consistently fields a competitive team. I get it, basketball is different and the school receives more revenue from football. We should manage to be .500 most years, based on what we have now I don’t see anyway we are a .500 team in the next 2 years with this current coach. And I desperately want to be wrong, I love my almamater, donate to school, to athletics, served on the GHC board (youngest member in GHC history, not that it means much I know, but I still like to brag), and care deeply about the university’s continued success. But I’m gravely disappointed with this “product”.

Which is more than double than BB for the same outcome.

BB won 5 game in his last two years. 3 then 2.
Monte got 2 last year, has 1 this year.

Not sure I see him picking up 2 more to match BB's two year total.

We didn't beat any of the remaining 5 last year.

There is a very high probability we don't beat an FBS team this year.

He’s only making $330,000 more than Graham did 8 years ago and that was with CUSA revenue. Pitt initially didn’t hire him because they felt Tulsa was paying too much and only came to the table with $2 million when their coach got arrested and they needed a quick hire. $2 million won’t get you a top shelf coordinator now and Graham is getting paid $3.2 not to coach. Any figure to get him would have to exceed that. Which TU doesn’t have. So, as a percentage of athletic department discretionary revenue/current market pressures, Montgomery is not the highest paid coach in history and Graham’s not coming back. Sorry. Those of you thinking Seth Littrell: he makes $1.2 now and is looking to triple it, not take a lateral hire in a brutal place to recruit where the previous coach didnt win and took a pay cut, just so his wife can shop for houses off Detroit Ave./thread.

Graham can't wait to get back in coaching. His current buy out is actually in our favor. Much as USF did with strong we can back load his pay in such a way to actually give us a temporary money break. It also means the new media money would be on there. Even at the low end forecast we would be able to pay well. If your fired and take a job at a smaller company you probably won't be paid as well. Something competitive for the conference would be necessary, which we have been doing in all the sports.

Graham can't wait to get back in coaching. His current buy out is actually in our favor. Much as USF did with strong we can back load his pay in such a way to actually give us a temporary money break. It also means the new media money would be on there. Even at the low end forecast we would be able to pay well. If your fired and take a job at a smaller company you probably won't be paid as well. Something competitive for the conference would be necessary, which we have been doing in all the sports.
You can never go home again ...

I mean is this going any differently than anyone expected? Every week I feel
like we’re gonna surprise someone, but every week I’m just surprised at how
inept we are.

We are who we are.....We have under recruited (do we have enough resources
to recruit with?), under coached (do we pay our assistants enough to hire good
ones?) and seemingly under achieved in everything else.....The problems do
not stop with our AD....They go well beyond him (although, I would replace him
in a NY second)......

While the people who donate so generously to the program help tremendously,
in the final analysis, the University itself has to commit whole heartily to the
program for it to succeed.....That may be a major sticking point....

I never thought that TU football would get so bad that I wouldn't watch it....I
didn't watch today's game....I figured there were several things that would be
a lot more fun......I was right.....I went to a funeral.......

What is Graham doing right now...?

He is enjoying his buy out at the moment.

He is relatively young though and believes he will coach again at a high level. Which his win loss record appears to back up. To stay relevant and in the talk for truely big jobs he needs to be coaching, preferably successfully at a decent school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT