ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thoughts SMU

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
1. Just got beat by a better team. We have to play our very best to beat a team like SMU.

2. Moore is an All-American PG. The best I have seen this year anywhere.

3. Half court offense by SMU is really good. We consistently gave them open paint shots.

4. They have skilled bigs who are much bigger than us. I see why we are still recruiting those big JUCOs.

5. We couldn't take the ball to the rim against that length and don't have the three point fire power to win without it.

6. 10-1 and in first place is still great. I just wish SMU had to play Cincy some more.

7. John Higgins should not officiate Larry Brown games since he has worked his camps.

8. Great attendance and loud fans. Students were great. Hope they return.

9. Haith great in post game. No complaining. Just giving SMU credit they deserve.

10. The other AAC teams are not nearly that good. We need to go 5-2 from here on to solidly get an at-large I suspect. 4-3 might be OK if we get some help from other teams.

II

Agree.... SMU is above the league right now. They have serious TALENT (2-3 NBA players for sure). Nic Moore is the best PG I've seen all year.

Tulsa makes it a game only if it hits a few more 3s and converts on those 3-4 chip-ins. Tulsa must EXECUTE to make a game of it with the likes of SMU's talent.

SMU bigs kicked our ass tonight. Main reason we lost.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:50 PM by barrister1602

Nic Moore is a tremendous player as well as a punk. Moreira was pretty good but I wasn't overly impressed with anyone else. We can at with them as we did for 30 minutes and then went stone cold as well as got lost on D for 3-4 straight possessions. Biggest difference was SMU cashed in on their offensive rebounds and put backs, we did not.

SMU is very "handsy" on defense but it is not the same type of hands Cincinnati uses. SMU's defensive footwork was pretty awful, Moore included. Kennedy probably committed 10 fouls today but only got called for 5 and most were on the reach arounds. Moreira and Moore were similar.
We had a ton of open shots and just did it convert. Woodard had 3 pts in the 2nd half, at the end buzzer. We an beat SMU, we just need to execute better on the offensive end
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Good team and we had our chances. Settled for the 3 too much after we hit some early. I think we shot 25% inside the arc and under 50% on chip shots.

SMU played solid and with desperation. Let's see how we respond.

Ash

Originally posted by barrister1602:
SMU bigs kicked our ass tonight. Main reason we lost.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:50 PM by barrister1602
+1... Why can't our "bigs" just dunk it instead of trying to lay it in?

He is because he jaws on the court. Then complains when he doesn't get his way. Then shoves our players. Oh and he purposefully shouldered me as he ran back to his locker room post game. He's absolutely a punk. He's actually a more talented AJ rompza.

I disagree that he's the best pg we've seen though.

Is it true that the student section was chanting F bombs at the visiting fans?

I'm more upset about that than the actual game.

Tulsa has some basic problems that can't be fixed by coaching or practice. They can only be fixed by recruiting the right people. TU needs a true post or two that can shoot. Plus some consistent outside shooters are a must. Tulsa doesn't have enough. It is too easy for teams to zone us and force Tulsa to put it up from the outside when they know the players don't shoot a good percetage from beyond the arc. Fixing those two things will go a long way. The bigs also have got to learn better positioning when going for offensive rebounds. That affects everything inside.

Junkie...if I made it out correctly, I'm pretty sure the students were chanting F.U.SMU. I was pretty disappointed in it as well

Great thoughts by I.I.

--Tulsa shot less than 30% from the field, SMU 48%

--Under 12 minutes in the game, TU/SMU tied @ 43 each
TV Timeout
After that, PG Moore (3 for 5 beyond the arc)
(Drives thru like 3 defenders to score inside
& then the 3 pt shot from 30ft+,) TU was in the hole 4 good

--SMU Big men Cunningham/Moreia dominated & intimidated TU inside
Once we couldn't drive the ball inside w/ effectiveness, we were done
SMU had 28 Defensive rebounds, TU had few 2nd shot attempts.

--As TU 1978 pointed out, no one, works the officials better than Larry Brown

--TU went like 10 minutes in the 2nd half w/ no field goals
9 for 28 on 3 pt attempts?

--Over 7600 in attendance, great crowd
Hopefully teams like Cinn & Temple will keep attendance #'s up
Even Larry "adjust my grades" Brown said. "For us to see a crowd
like that on the road was great. You wouldn't have seen that
a couple years ago. We've come a long way."

--SMU (Moody Coliseum) Is hosting
ESPN College GameDay next Sat, w/ U Conn coming 2 town

Originally posted by tulsahurricane0530:
Junkie...if I made it out correctly, I'm pretty sure the students were chanting F.U.SMU. I was pretty disappointed in it as well
I don't usually write letters based on hearsay but that is NOT what my school is about.

It's what they said. It needs to be handled.

Bring back the rowdies!!!!

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

Originally posted by tulsahurricane0530:
I don't usually write letters based on hearsay but that is NOT what my school is about.
Agree. That is not something we should condone. I didn't even realize it was happening - I'm so into the game. But it also needs to be handled in the right way. Not berating the students as much as asking them to please not let that happen, ever again. That stuff is always started by a one or two kids and spreads, so if you can find the ones initiailly responsible, then you usually solve the problem. Just have a little sit down and say something like "we want you to enjoy the game and have a great time, but its not something your mom and dad sent you here to do. We love ya, but don't let it happen again." Something like that. Even an apology letter to SMU might help. I know we were pretty upset when the Rice band insulted our FB coach a few years ago and that was inapporopriate as well. So it happens.

Smu was better last night, no doubt, Kennedy wasn't effective so others stepped up with HUGE games- great job by them. With that said, one poor game does not a season make and we cannot go into a funk. What I see with the losses to the NCAA tourney teams (OU/OSU/WSU/SMU) is that we are not taking advantage of our weapons and in fact making them an advantage for the other team- case in point- R.Smith.

If you are going to play an "undersized" 4 it can work, but HE must be the mismatch at the offensive end as much as he is a libaility for his height on the defensive boards. Smith had 8 rebounds last night, but only 4 points, much below his season average and well below his last couple games. Can't beat the good teams if your good players don't show up or are not aggressive- cause fouls and get to the line, which he did not, plus he only had 3 fouls (all in the last 2 minutes). Now it's not just Smith, its all our 4 position guys- it was WEAK last night and the true difference of the game- Wright actually played to his averages- but Brandon/TK/Smith were beaten by Cunningham, period. Moore was good, but he does not have a running mate in the backcourt- would be interested to try a Box-n-one against SMU, only to see others (not Moore) try to win it.

The break (Valentines) can not come soon enough for Shaq, it's obvious he was not 100%, but when he drives and kicks, guys have to make it

I sit where the band used to be until this season. I'm disappointed to say there was a small section of the TU students chanting FU SMU and an even smaller group yelling directly at the SMU fans and saying F U and flipping them off. It was incredibly disappointing to me.

I heard that from the SMU people at the game. Pretty disgusting that TU students would do that. Let's make this a good rivalry.

Did anyone else wonder why Swannegan wasn't in early & often when it became obvious they were killing us inside? He played about 30 seconds in the first half & might have really helped us deal with all those UNcontested rebounds & put-backs plus an occasional blocked shot. Could have turned ol' mo the TU direction. On the other hand, SMOO was really good & it was definately their night.

quincy, I too wondered why Swannegan wasn't in there much. That was my first thoughts after the game was over. He's definitely someone we need when things get physical. I'm thinking maybe he was under the weather?

Originally posted by djedgar14:

quincy, I too wondered why Swannegan wasn't in there much. That was my first thoughts after the game was over. He's definitely someone we need when things get physical. I'm thinking maybe he was under the weather?
Swannegan picked up 2 really quick fouls in the first half. Unless the game gets completely away from you in the first half (which it didn't), you sit him as Haith did.

I thought Dew was effective,especially in the zone defense. His athleticism and length allow him to get out on shooters in the corners pretty quickly. Big E looked OK. He got himself in decent rebounding position on the offensive side a couple of times when he was in there, but he allowed himself to get pushed under the basket a couple of times and the rebounds went over him.

Honestly, the biggest mismatch for us was Curtis or Woodard trying to guard Manuel.

It all comes down to hitting shots. We simply didn't hit enough and we had plenty of open shots and 2nd chance shots that we simply didn't hit. Yes, SMU's interior defense made it difficult, but not impossible. I look for Haith to make some adjustments when we go to Pony Land.

1st priority in our next meeting with SMU.......take Nic Moore out of the game. Don't let him catch the ball and guard him full court, he must be harassed!!!! SMU ran everything through him in the 2nd half............the dude showed a ton of heart knocking down 3's and finding open big guys off of the screens.

Woodard was knocking down the 3's early but him and Shaq both were exposed to some of their weaknesses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT