ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing attendance total

We're certainly not the only AAC school having attendance issues. Oddly the problem seems to be getting worse among many of our conference mates. Doesn't help our P5 campaign when our schools can't get 20k in the stands. That was the home crowd to watch a top 25 team btw.

Tampa just went through a hurricane. People had to drop hundreds of not thousands of dollars to get ready or evacuate. Others are homeless or face thousands in repairs. Cut them some slack. A lot of people don’t have $200 to take their family to a game right now.

We're certainly not the only AAC school having attendance issues. Oddly the problem seems to be getting worse among many of our conference mates. Doesn't help our P5 campaign when our schools can't get 20k in the stands. That was the home crowd to watch a top 25 team btw.

It won't be long until the P5s start feeling the attendance pain too

Have to get more businesses involved some way. Need to have our logo gear for sale everywhere. Terrible example Canes Chicken has OU and OSU stuff everywhere. Find more businesses with discounts for TU ticket stub.

Last year you received a free Arby's sandwhiche if we did something. I went to Arby's the next day and new nothing about it. They honored it and the owner came out to talk to me because he was upset that corporate didn't get the message out. He thought it was a great idea.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Have to get more businesses involved some way. Need to have our logo gear for sale everywhere. Terrible example Canes Chicken has OU and OSU stuff everywhere. Find more businesses with discounts for TU ticket stub.

Last year you received a free Arby's sandwhiche if we did something. I went to Arby's the next day and new nothing about it. They honored it and the owner came out to talk to me because he was upset that corporate didn't get the message out. He thought it was a great idea.

Home Depot, Owasso.
Big OU, OSU, and Thunder logos up.... no TU.

TU started a campaign where they will give any business a large TU flag to display, all they have to do is ask the athletic department for one and they'll deliver it.

So hopefully some TU flags will make their way around town. I know reasors took some heat from the athletic dept (and Ashli Montgomery) on twitter for only displaying OU and osu banners.

Also it looks like the marketing department at TU has been reading this thread... per a tweet I saw last night.

Exactly..... most NFL stadiums are 1/2 full .... not just a TU issue.
Not most. There are some that are having issues filling their seats...usually the teams that have sucked for a few years. Good teams are still filling their stadiums. The 49ers have been bad since management mucked up the Harbaugh deal and fans are sticking it to management right now. However, Lynch looks to have gotten some of their personnel issues figured out right now. That game was a fun one to watch last night.

Look at the AAC teams- Temple, plays in an NFL stadium not close to campus. USF-plays in an NFL stadium not terribly close to campus. UCONN- sucks (in football, still a relatively new D1 program), Navy- usually a full stadium (on campus), ECU- on campus, one of the best fan bases in AAC, UCF- hit or miss and fans are fickle and fair weather, Memphis-plays in a giant stadium, not on campus, but usually good crowds. Houston- on campus and usually good crowds (but also somewhat fair weather), SMU and Tulsa have the same issue in that they have a relatively small private alumni base who don't always stay in the metro Dallas or Tulsa areas after they graduate. Tulane- years of awfulness combined with not having an on campus arena. Also, similar issue with TU/SMU.

Yeah Texans aren't having and won't have attendance issues. Even with a pretty sad team and post-Harvey.

FWIW, UH tickets look like they went up quite a bit this year. Will be interested to see what attendance looks like throughout the season.

TU started a campaign where they will give any business a large TU flag to display, all they have to do is ask the athletic department for one and they'll deliver it.

So hopefully some TU flags will make their way around town. I know reasors took some heat from the athletic dept (and Ashli Montgomery) on twitter for only displaying OU and osu banners.
They've given away more than 200 flags. Boise did similar in the late 90s and after a couple of years, the town was covered in them and that was when Idaho football was a big deal and Boise was DII

Last edited:
The place is packed when they give away a car. Obviously, that is cost prohibitive.

But when the games are on TV they can make Sections 104 and 105 the "Best Buy TV Zone" or whatever. Buy a ticket in those sections and you are automatically entered into a raffle for a 60" inch television from John F. Lawhon, Linda Soundtrack or whoever. There are a lot of people off camera who bought $20 tickets who will buy $30 tickets if they get a chance to win a free TV and there are a few people in front of their crappy TV watching the game that will come watch it in person for the chance to get a nicer television, even if it is a blistering 82 degrees with a slight wind in September. Even if TU buys the TV out of ticket revenue and gives away the ad time to the sponsor, this kind of promotion, overtime, can pay for itself in increased sales revenue and it looks on television like we have more people out there and the folks that can't make it to the game are reminded on social media that the game is being televised.

Yeah, but if you listen to Channel 6 weather, that "blistering 82 degrees" is the Heat Index equivalent of 112 degrees, or some such number.

Not most. There are some that are having issues filling their seats...usually the teams that have sucked for a few years. Good teams are still filling their stadiums. The 49ers have been bad since management mucked up the Harbaugh deal and fans are sticking it to management right now. However, Lynch looks to have gotten some of their personnel issues figured out right now. That game was a fun one to watch last night.

Look at the AAC teams- Temple, plays in an NFL stadium not close to campus. USF-plays in an NFL stadium not terribly close to campus. UCONN- sucks (in football, still a relatively new D1 program), Navy- usually a full stadium (on campus), ECU- on campus, one of the best fan bases in AAC, UCF- hit or miss and fans are fickle and fair weather, Memphis-plays in a giant stadium, not on campus, but usually good crowds. Houston- on campus and usually good crowds (but also somewhat fair weather), SMU and Tulsa have the same issue in that they have a relatively small private alumni base who don't always stay in the metro Dallas or Tulsa areas after they graduate. Tulane- years of awfulness combined with not having an on campus arena. Also, similar issue with TU/SMU.

Hasn't Tulane played on-campus for a few years now?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yes. And they have a heck of a tailgate that attracts people from all over the city to an isolated and snooty portion of town with crappy parking. Many don't even go to the game. Its also hot there.

You pulled those names out of the wayback machine. Those two sold some quality goods back in the day.
Hey now! Not that far back. When you start talking Horn Bros. Furniture Show, then you are going way, way back.

BTW, he approves of this thread ....

3 or 4. But their last really good season was under a Bowden who went undefeated and they were still in the SuperDome (maybe 20 years ago). Tulane has the same issue us and SMU have in the smallish private school in a large urban area with plenty of options for entertainment and a fan base limited to mostly alumni because every other resident of the city is a fan of State U even though 80% of those fans couldn't find the city their beloved team is from on a map.

That's freaking hilarious...reminds me of the old "Wiz" commercials they used on Seinfeld (and were probably 100% real).

Going back, we were recalling what was located in the now Incredible Pizza Co. and Sunshine Furniture buildings near 71st and Memorial. I remember Target and Venture (or lesser Target as I liked to call it). Even my wife was like "Huh?"

Home Depot, Owasso.
Big OU, OSU, and Thunder logos up.... no TU.
I bought their last TU rug. After i ordered it i got a call that they were discontinued and no longer available an they'd have to give me their floor display

That's freaking hilarious...reminds me of the old "Wiz" commercials they used on Seinfeld (and were probably 100% real).

Going back, we were recalling what was located in the now Incredible Pizza Co. and Sunshine Furniture buildings near 71st and Memorial. I remember Target and Venture (or lesser Target as I liked to call it). Even my wife was like "Huh?"
I thought that was a super K-Mart?

Wasn't Horn Bros the place way out on 11th street that was later the site of a country music night club?
Yes, it hosted local and regional and occasional national country music acts on live television between sales pitches for their furniture for an hour on Friday nights as I recall in the 1960s.(I was a young un then). While the family is still in the furniture business out at that location it is my understanding, it is not called Horn Bros. There used to be a nightclub next door that tried to capitalize on their notoriety and they think they had a piece of it. Not sure though.

Yes, it hosted local and regional and occasional national country music acts on live television between sales pitches for their furniture for an hour on Friday nights as I recall in the 1960s.(I was a young un then). While the family is still in the furniture business out at that location it is my understanding, it is not called Horn Bros. There used to be a nightclub next door that tried to capitalize on their notoriety and they think they had a piece of it. Not sure though.
iirc, the night club was Duke's Country. I believe it was in the old Horn Brothers furniture building.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Flynt Reeves the "singing salesmen", Snow's Furniture with the blonde lady spokesperson. From way back Grandpa John's out by the Turner Turnpike Gate.
I bought a sofa and love seat from Grandpa John's and it was absolutely the cheapest and lightest weight furniture I've ever seen.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
I still have a turntable I bought at Soundtrack in the eighty's at 51st and Mingo. Some things you can't part with.

Don't get rid of it. Vinyl is a spiritual experience. You won't be able to pick up a cartridge and stylus from Buttons at the Farm shopping center anymore, but you can find em online for cheap. Elvis and Waylon never sounded so good as they do played at 33 and 1/3 rpm!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT