ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing attendance total

Before it moved way out east on 11th, Horn Brothers was located close to downtown on 6th Street or 3rd Street. For many years Horn Brothers sponsored a live, Saturday afternoon country music show on Channel 8. It featured area performers and a house band made up of outstanding local players -- Roy Ferguson, Rocky Caple, Johnny Stills, Bunky Harper and others -- hosted by the store's owner-manager, Ike Horn. It was called the Longhorn Roundup and, later, the Long Horn Wing Ding. I had the privilege of appearing a few times on the show as part of a 1960s-era folk music group -- guitar, banjo, acoustic bass, striped button-down shirts, the whole works. They were trying to reach a younger demographic, but I don't think it worked.

You're talking about "The Horn Brothers Home Pack" ! You could furnish the whole house for dirt cheap.

It was Dukes Country and was on Admiral, not 11th. Close to where Flying J is now.

I preferred Great Escape on 21st though. Never liked the country music.

This video from our friend and TU alumnus Gailard Sartain captures two things -

• A parody of some of Tulsa's furniture retailers of the past, and
  • Audience clips from the old Horn Brothers show audience.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I don't think were gonna clear more than 10 or 12k in actual attendance.

That's brutal... I was hoping the ESPN analytics intro had been pre-recorded beore kickoff because the bleachers were completely empty on the east side. I guess it wasn't...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT