ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointing attendance total

I agree 100% with improving the pre game outmosphere. It is horrible. We have very capable marketing majors who could assist with eliminating that problem if ever asked to do so. Tulsa has changed so much over the years demographically that you can't just throw free or discounted tickets out there and expect people to show up. I see the same pre game atmosphere/activities there now that I did 17 yrs ago when I played my last game and that isn't a good thing!

There are many people in Tulsa now that grew up in another state and have no about Tulsa Football. Add that onto the fact that you play sub average teams at home on top of not being very good and you have a recipe it for what we see now.

I get it that some teams don't want to come to Tulsa but I'm tired of hearing those tired and lame excuses. The AD and staff get paid a lot of money to make that happen and their inability to do that has hurt us.
My solutions are:
1) Revamp pregame and halftime activities
2) Work more strategically with City of Tulsa and Chamber of Commerce to coordinate other major events to occur the same weekend of home games to improve attendance
3) Set up a council of current and former student athletes that serve a one yr term to advise the AD on new and creative ways to improve.
(Council could travel as a group to other similar markets to explore opportunities to improve TU)
The biggest takeaway here is use the resources you already have at the School of Business (free labor) in a more strategic manner and involve the former student athletes more into the planning (not just asking for donations). There are so many smart alumni that have so many ideas but nobody is tapping into that!

Ok so again, what's your suggestion for getting Texas to sign a 1-1 deal with us? It doesn't matter how much we pay an AD, that simply isn't going to happen. So I'm not sure about it being a "lame excuse" - a lame excuse is an alum and former player who refuses to go to or even watch a game because the opponent isn't a top 25 team. Now for a non alum who has no ties and is just a sports fan, that MAY fly, but most sports fans understand that reality.

I do agree that some type of partnership with the city needs to happen... that would be a great starting point. That's an untapped resource that could make a huge difference with our perception to the community.

As far as revamping the pre-game and halftime activities go - what do you have in mind? I agree there could definitely be a little more pomp and circumstance to the pregame stuff.

Some of these issues can be addressed by athletics with small efforts, while other items are going to require a group effort with the city... the city has to step up and show that TU is relevant and treat us like the city of Cincinnati treats UC, the city of Wichita treats WSU, the city of Memphis treats UM, etc. all of those places treat their teams like legit D1 programs and don't slight them at every chance. I bet you never hear "oh they're just Cincinnati" or "oh they're just Memphis" in those cities, because they actually have city pride in their teams. We don't have that here... at all. So until there is some sort of culture change in regard to the overall mindset and perception of TU by the city of Tulsa (both city government and citizens), we'll likely be fighting this battle... that is, of course, unless shon can yell at Dr Gragg long enough that suddenly Texas or Alabama sign a 1-1 deal with us. Then all our problems would be solved.

Last edited:
Pre game atmosphere?
(My yearly grievance)

We need a live mascot
A “Golden” retriever.
or any golden looking dog

Pet owners are a HUGE untapped market
50 billion sales a yr in products
over 85 million dog owners

U could also have other type of dogs
Datsun, Jack Russell, Bleu Healer, Pomeranian, etc.
Running around w/ a Hurricane “cape” flopping on their back
Like a Super Dawg

Little dogs or big dogs

Trained them retrieve
tennis balls, stuffed animals, sitcks, etc.

Mascot to ‘hang out” in west plaza area
get pic’s w/ the dog & Captain Cane
Kid’s could pet the dog, etc.

B4 teams on field
U could have the dog,,,
Retrieve alittle Lobo stuffed animal, cougar stuffed animal, etc

Imagine if the “Honorary” team captain,
could B a celebrity, lead the team out on the field
w/ the “Golden” Retriever.

One week,
U could have a TU promo
Bring ur dog to the game week
(A TON of Dog owners & lovers everywhere)
Have a “Dog” park & treats set up on the west plaza
Qualified Participants could let their dogs
on the field to lead the team out
Have Humane Society there
Do some other Save animal promo stuff

My other pet peeve.
More TU Band music
(Put a mic or 2 by the band)
Less piped in sound music

U could also bring in local bands/groups
to play 4 any one game too!
Perhaps get w/ a promoter who wants
to plug upcoming artist etc

Reactions: TULSARISING
Pre game atmosphere?
(My yearly grievance)

We need a live mascot
A “Golden” retriever.
or any golden looking dog

Pet owners are a HUGE untapped market
50 billion sales a yr in products
over 85 million dog owners

U could also have other type of dogs
Datsun, Jack Russell, Bleu Healer, Pomeranian, etc.
Running around w/ a Hurricane “cape” flopping on their back
Like a Super Dawg

Little dogs or big dogs

Trained them retrieve
tennis balls, stuffed animals, sitcks, etc.

Mascot to ‘hang out” in west plaza area
get pic’s w/ the dog & Captain Cane
Kid’s could pet the dog, etc.

B4 teams on field
U could have the dog,,,
Retrieve alittle Lobo stuffed animal, cougar stuffed animal, etc

Imagine if the “Honorary” team captain,
could B a celebrity, lead the team out on the field
w/ the “Golden” Retriever.

One week,
U could have a TU promo
Bring ur dog to the game week
(A TON of Dog owners & lovers everywhere)
Have a “Dog” park & treats set up on the west plaza
Qualified Participants could let their dogs
on the field to lead the team out
Have Humane Society there
Do some other Save animal promo stuff

My other pet peeve.
More TU Band music
(Put a mic or 2 by the band)
Less piped in sound music

U could also bring in local bands/groups
to play 4 any one game too!
Perhaps get w/ a promoter who wants
to plug upcoming artist etc
That week would also be bring your pooper scooper to work week, for the cleanup crew.

Reactions: HHOOTter
I think TU really should up its game as far as internet based recruiting goes. One avenue that I'm not sure they've ever ventured into is local targeted youtube advertisement. TU could pick their desired demographics, their desired target areas (918 obviously). It's like they don't see that everyone is moving online and cutting cable and hardly anyone is looking at a newspaper anymore.

Ultra short in-stream adds (the adds you have to watch before the youtube video) with Bruce doing his best TU voice, saying "The University of Tulsa invites you to XYZ promotion this Thursday night for some fun family football" would probably influence quite a few more people than a billboard add. I think the going rate is something like $.2-.3 per view. That's 10,000 views for $2,000 dollars.

Last edited:
It would help if we had an AD that was approachable and marketed the school. He has more to do with than anything else.

I think TU really should up its game as far as internet based recruiting goes. One avenue that I'm not sure they've ever ventured into is local targeted youtube advertisement. TU could pick their desired demographics, their desired target areas (918 obviously). It's like they don't see that everyone is moving online and cutting cable and hardly anyone is looking at a newspaper anymore.

Ultra short in-stream adds (the adds you have to watch before the youtube video) with Bruce doing his best TU voice, saying "The University of Tulsa invites you to XYZ promotion this Thursday night for some fun family football" would probably influence quite a few more people than a billboard add. I think the going rate is something like $.2-.3 per view. That's 10,000 views for $2,000 dollars.
Maybe the You Tube, but something I know ORU has done is targeted audience in-app ads. Those annoying ads that pop up and stay on your screen for 15-30 seconds before you can get to the next level of Candy Crush. TU could do that for athletics. I also feel I know more about Olympic sports and there is a lot more volume of those that the athletic dept. plugs on Twitter and Instagram. I've seen at least 20-30 posts in the last 2-3 days about TU Soccer's game with Brown tonight.

I haven't lived in Tulsa for long enough to understand the changing dynamics of the city. I believe the movement away from centralized information sources such as the local paper and local TV stations has hurt the ability to "spread the word." The Tulsa World's website is really, really bad. The same stories are up for months on the front page. High school athletics has this almost religious reverence in Oklahoma and features more prominently on the front page of the Tulsa World than college athletics does. It is mystifying. Maybe it isn't when you consider Oklahoma produces the sixth lowest number of college graduates as a percentage of the population than other states.

Maybe the You Tube, but something I know ORU has done is targeted audience in-app ads. Those annoying ads that pop up and stay on your screen for 15-30 seconds before you can get to the next level of Candy Crush. TU could do that for athletics. I also feel I know more about Olympic sports and there is a lot more volume of those that the athletic dept. plugs on Twitter and Instagram. I've seen at least 20-30 posts in the last 2-3 days about TU Soccer's game with Brown tonight.
The problem with that, is your desired demographic might not use whichever game or suite of games that you advertise on. I'm going to refrain on looking to ORU for attendance advice to be honest (until they show some improvement). Youtube is the #2 most visited website in existence behind only google and they allow advertisers to target by age, gender, parental status, household income, and affinity. You could even target by specific channel. Really, it would be a good project for the psychology department to work on in conjunction with the business department. What demographics will be more likely to be receptive to your adds and where should you place them to get to that demographic?

My primary guess? People in Tulsa that watch things like "Dude Perfect" (the guys that do the cool trickshot videos)

High school athletics has this almost religious reverence in Oklahoma and features more prominently on the front page of the Tulsa World than college athletics does. It is mystifying. Maybe it isn't when you consider Oklahoma produces the sixth lowest number of college graduates as a percentage of the population than other states.

Wow, I really don't think our reverence toward high school football has anything to do with a low college graduation percentage. It's due more to the community spirit that the schools provide for the small towns and big suburbs.

I've been to three high school games so far this season. All have been standing room only and two were records crowds for those stadiums. That's why the local media outlets dedicate a lot of time and space to prep athletics.

Wow, I really don't think our reverence toward high school football has anything to do with a low college graduation percentage. It's due more to the community spirit that the schools provide for the small towns and big suburbs.

I've been to three high school games so far this season. All have been standing room only and two were records crowds for those stadiums. That's why the local media outlets dedicate a lot of time and space to prep athletics.

You kind of made his point... although hs football is a big deal in this area, it shouldn't be a bigger deal than a D1 football program that represents the entire city and surrounding areas.

It's great that hs football is so highly thought of, but I wish the communities in and around Tulsa had as much or more pride in their city's university.

You kind of made his point... although hs football is a big deal in this area, it shouldn't be a bigger deal than a D1 football program that represents the entire city and surrounding areas.

It's great that hs football is so highly thought of, but I wish the communities in and around Tulsa had as much or more pride in their city's university.
and moreso, it should push more and more people into the stadium as TU has a lot of local kids from those local HS on the roster and contributing. I know our recruiting has taken more of a Texas twist more recently, but there are still a lot of the Jenks, Union, BA HS stars at TU. That alone should be worth an additional 5-6k fans each week if only from those kids' friends and families in those communities.

It shouldn't be a bigger deal but it seems like it is. Jenks/Union played on a Thursday night, had their smallest crowd in almost 20 years and still almost outdrew the Tulsa attendance on Saturday.

I'm afraid to think of what the stadium will look like when we play Memphis on a Friday night in November.

And on cue I just saw a Bud Light ad on Twitter advertising the "Go Beer Box" which is a self help kiosk that dispenses beer in cans. I'd be interested in how it verifies age and what type of liability they carry as it wouldn't be too hard to get beer in the hands of underage kids (not like it is that difficult now). Can you imagine one of these at the bottom of every concourse ramp at TU:
<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Your friends don&#39;t have to hold your place in line: the <a href="https://twitter.com/gobeerbox">@GoBeerBox</a> is coming to <a href="https://twitter.com/themeadows">@TheMeadows</a>. <a href="https://t.co/1O4fd6ITeI">pic.twitter.com/1O4fd6ITeI</a></p>&mdash; Bud Light (@budlight) <a href="">September 15, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and moreso, it should push more and more people into the stadium as TU has a lot of local kids from those local HS on the roster and contributing. I know our recruiting has taken more of a Texas twist more recently, but there are still a lot of the Jenks, Union, BA HS stars at TU. That alone should be worth an additional 5-6k fans each week if only from those kids' friends and families in those communities.

Not as many local kids on the roster these days. 2 from BA (1 of those is redshirting), 2 from Union and 2 from Owasso. I don't see any from Jenks.

Im in no way advocating playing only Top 25 teams but what I am saying is that as a player and now an alumni, the Athletic Department can find better quality power 5 opponents than what's on the current schedule. As a player and now as a fan, I always want TU to play the best in order to prove to those who ever doubted them that they are just as good and better than those teams in the power 5 conferences. Our fans, players, and recruits deserve better. If you are asking me for my ideas, you have proven my point that the AD has failed in doing his job hence our babbling on here for a solution. The problem is the University is using a traditional approach to solve a fairly complex problem all while possessing one of the finest cyber studies program in the WORLD. This problem set requires creating a multilayered asymmetrical phased strategy. I promise you, this problem could be easily fixed if the University only tapped into its Alumni. Maybe when I retire from government service they will hire me on as an intern ; ) I applaud your passion for "Our" almamatter and I hope things improve!
Ok so again, what's your suggestion for getting Texas to sign a 1-1 deal with us? It doesn't matter how much we pay an AD, that simply isn't going to happen. So I'm not sure about it being a "lame excuse" - a lame excuse is an alum and former player who refuses to go to or even watch a game because the opponent isn't a top 25 team. Now for a non alum who has no ties and is just a sports fan, that MAY fly, but most sports fans understand that reality.

I do agree that some type of partnership with the city needs to happen... that would be a great starting point. That's an untapped resource that could make a huge difference with our perception to the community.

As far as revamping the pre-game and halftime activities go - what do you have in mind? I agree there could definitely be a little more pomp and circumstance to the pregame stuff.

Some of these issues can be addressed by athletics with small efforts, while other items are going to require a group effort with the city... the city has to step up and show that TU is relevant and treat us like the city of Cincinnati treats UC, the city of Wichita treats WSU, the city of Memphis treats UM, etc. all of those places treat their teams like legit D1 programs and don't slight them at every chance. I bet you never hear "oh they're just Cincinnati" or "oh they're just Memphis" in those cities, because they actually have city pride in their teams. We don't have that here... at all. So until there is some sort of culture change in regard to the overall mindset and perception of TU by the city of Tulsa (both city government and citizens), we'll likely be fighting this battle... that is, of course, unless shon can yell at Dr Gragg long enough that suddenly Texas or Alabama sign a 1-1 deal with us. Then all our problems would be solved.

Last edited:
Not as many local kids on the roster these days. 2 from BA (1 of those is redshirting), 2 from Union and 2 from Owasso. I don't see any from Jenks.

Actually, there are quite a number of local kids.

Union 1
Central 2
McClain 2
Owasso 2
BA 2
Bixby 1
Lincoln Christian 2
Holland Hall 2
Bishop Kelly, Edison, Casia Hall, Sapulpa, Collinsville--all 1 each
Plus a few other walkons

That's over 20 or approximately 20% from

Actually, there are quite a number of local kids.

Union 1
Central 2
McClain 2
Owasso 2
BA 2
Bixby 1
Lincoln Christian 2
Holland Hall 2
Bishop Kelly, Edison, Casia Hall, Sapulpa, Collinsville--all 1 each
Plus a few other walkons

That's over 20 or approximately 20% from

Plus Jeremy Smith- Berryhill

You see how many seats were empty in Boise last night? They don't have an atmosphere or winning problem. NASCAR is going bankrupt.

There's a lot of moving parts here, beyond what the school can and should do.
They lost their glitter when Peterson left. BSU fans knew they'd be the odds on favorite for a NY6 from the G5 and possibly even a playoff berth in the right season. They're missing that. They're still good and winning is not a problem, but they've lost the allure.

They started by trying to sell tailgate spots in the Lorton Village lot just west of the Stadium this year. $250 gets you 10 endzone tickets and 1 tailgate spot. That's not bad at all. My question to TU is this...you have 100's of RED, BLUE, and GREEN lot spots not being used for football games. Why not sell even more individual tailgate spots (or even 4 lined spots) to a group good for one car and use the other 3 spaces to tailgate in. I know the TailGators do that at the Wesley Foundation. The lot just north and west of sorority row is largely empty. The lot west of Wesley has a good number of remaining spaces as well. Both of those are no more than a 3-4 minute walk from the Dobbs' Gate off of 8th street. I don't know what else they can do unless you start positioning the craft beer carts or other food trucks around campus prior to a game.

The TU Tailgators have bought up all the Wesley Foundation parking slots. Their tailgate opens 4 hours before game time and is an open tailgate. There is a game day potluck theme and they can be found on Facebook under TU Tailgators. Just bring a dish (entrée or side) and your favorite beverage and join the group, they would love to have you attend.

They lost their glitter when Peterson left. BSU fans knew they'd be the odds on favorite for a NY6 from the G5 and possibly even a playoff berth in the right season. They're missing that. They're still good and winning is not a problem, but they've lost the allure.
It's all because they passed up the opportunity of a lifetime by not joining the Big East.

The 11th & Lewis area is getting ready to grow. Renaissance Brewing will be opening soon at 12th & Lewis.. You have the Route 66 bar. The area just south of the parts store is getting ready to break ground for a restaurant/bar conglomerate owned by Lobeck-Taylor. I have heard of future growth plans for the NW corner of 11th & Lewis, but have not heard of any specifics. It would nice to see someone buy the Bama location and turn it into a sports/sports apparel/etc... restaurant.

One thing they could do, but haven't done, and I don't know if any other school has tried it, but you would think they would have a way to administrate requests to be seated in a block of new season tickets by Greek House affiliation alumni status. I might go to a game, if I knew I was going to see my old fraternity brothers or "grand big sister" or whatever sitting near me at every game. There's a lot of space over there on the back of Section 104 on the east side that is aching to be filled in. Make a couple of rows of 104 with seat backs preferred seating for each house on request and knock off $10.00 as a loss leader. You'll get some bites. There are a fair number of alumni, especially some of the younger ones, who don't have enough affinity with the school or the football team to show up, but they do have affinity for their house and their old friends. Leverage that, without coming out and admitting it publicly.

The TU Tailgators have bought up all the Wesley Foundation parking slots. Their tailgate opens 4 hours before game time and is an open tailgate. There is a game day potluck theme and they can be found on Facebook under TU Tailgators. Just bring a dish (entrée or side) and your favorite beverage and join the group, they would love to have you attend.
I know. I think it's a great thing and just something that goes against there's not a good atmosphere before games. TU is making the potential available but the fans need to make it happen.

Even the picker mentioned that TU deserves better home attendance today. That's saying something...

There are still way too many Tulsa area people that have no idea what a TU Gameday looks like. We need to continue to come up with new promotional ideas to get new fans to attend a game. We're doing the Alzheimer's walk on Saturday. That is a great idea on many levels. The fireworks after the Memphis game is another.

I think Coach Monty has pushed TU to improve marketing & promotions. This must be a constant goal, you can't let up.

I went to the TCU game last week against SMU. The place was jam packed with tents, grills, buses, hotties wearing designer clothes and shorts that looked like panties along with their cowgirl boots, no children whatsoever, mostly 20s - 50s age-wise. It looked more like a meet-up scene than it did a football game. And the size of the stadium definitely made a huge difference in the perception of the experience. Now we can't do much about our stadium size, and I like our sightlines way better than TCU's stadium, but having the place filled made a huge difference in terms of game day experience.

On the contrary, there are too many people who remember what it was like in 2002 and still have that vision.

Actually, our opinions are complimentary. I mistakenly left the word "today" off the end of my first sentence. I visit with many people who haven't been to a TU football game this millennium. A good percent of those people don't know what the TU campus or game day experience looks like today.

Reactions: HuffyCane
I think it all comes down to a charismatic , workaholic A.D. with progressive thinking who is a good listener. A Bill Self type in the A.D. office. Sleeps 4 hours a night and then goes to work to make TU's athletic dept. the best ever.

When was the last time you saw our AD in an interview on a Sunday night sports program?

Dr. Gregg is an empty suit. I think I would rather have Judy back. At least she got pub for being a skirt. ...

When was the last time you saw our AD in an interview on a Sunday night sports program?

Remember when we had "Inside Tulsa Sports" in the 90s with Dave Rader going over each game play by play and taking phone calls? I know TV isn't an important medium anymore and we have the Phillip Montgomery show once a week showing the hilights... We should get the AD in on some of those shows! Talk about what the hell the strategy is for TU football and athletics in general. Be accountable ot the stakeholders: i.e., the fanbase.

Watching USF vs Temple?!?! That stadium ain't even close to half full! The no. 21 team can't get people to the game????

NUKE Knew Messico!!!
There was no one there, maybe 15-20k. For a conference game vs the team that beat you last year. Remember they don’t play on campus and have to go to Raymond James.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT