ADVERTISEMENT

Clancy Out as TU President

TUFan1981

I.T.S. Junior
Apr 27, 2006
Just got word that Gerry Clancy will be relieved of his duties as President. I think the Moody's downgrade did him in. Best of luck to Clancy, but I think TU is better off with new leadership.

I posted this in the basketball forum, but thought it was relevant here too.

Reactions: bigstar18
There are some rumors about that, but I’m not sure how accurate they really are.

From Huffy over on the General Board, and I quote:

False but with nuggets of truth.

He’s been ill for awhile. He’s taken a leave of absence for medical care.

She’s the Acting President President until he recovers, in accordance with the University bylaws.

He’s expected to recover and return to duty.

Feel free to twist that into a conspiracy, but the above are all facts.

A couple of people will claim that someone gave him a computer virus and it’s all a conspiracy, man.

:captain:

That crazy beotch is I charge? He may not recover fast enough to keeping her from tearing it down.

Reactions: TU 1978
Both should be fired plus the Dean of Arts and Sciences, or whatever they call it now.

This is true, however, I've been told he's not returning. Take from it what you will, but my understanding is that he will not be back and that Levit will not be considered for the permanent role. We can all wait for things to become official, but there's going to be a nationwide search for a new president.
From Huffy over on the General Board, and I quote:

False but with nuggets of truth.

He’s been ill for awhile. He’s taken a leave of absence for medical care.

She’s the Acting President President until he recovers, in accordance with the University bylaws.

He’s expected to recover and return to duty.

Feel free to twist that into a conspiracy, but the above are all facts.

This is true, however, I've been told he's not returning. Take from it what you will, but my understanding is that he will not be back and that Levit will not be considered for the permanent role. We can all wait for things to become official, but there's going to be a nationwide search for a new president.
Nailed it. I didn't think it would be this quick to come to fruition...usually they wait a full semester before making they "he won't be returning to the role as president" announcement, but my guess is Clancy didn't want to keep up the charade and to lessen his anxiety over the crap going on. I fear if Levit is considered TU will cease to exist in a few years as I think a good number of professors and others will just take their talents elsewhere rather than work under someone who has no appreciation for the efforts of those who actually make the leaders look good. (That's what I loved about Dr. Lawless- he always appreciated the staff and took time out of his days to visit with different staff members).

I think a good number of professors and others will just take their talents elsewhere rather than work under someone who has no appreciation for the efforts of those who actually make the leaders look good.
This is actually part of the plan - you can't make the new model work if you're paying real professors. Those positions outside the cash cows like IO psychology and cybersecurity all need to be visiting professors and adjuncts, people getting $20 an hour and no benefits on short-term contracts. TU needs a bunch of professors to leave. If you moved from Bodeans to Long John Silvers, you can't continue to pay real cooks. It's the same. I bet ultimately that you'll see teachers moving back and forth between TCC and TU a lot. The education will be the same but TU will be the spa experience while TCC will be 24 Hour Fitness.

This is actually part of the plan - you can't make the new model work if you're paying real professors. Those positions outside the cash cows like IO psychology and cybersecurity all need to be visiting professors and adjuncts, people getting $20 an hour and no benefits on short-term contracts. TU needs a bunch of professors to leave. If you moved from Bodeans to Long John Silvers, you can't continue to pay real cooks. It's the same. I bet ultimately that you'll see teachers moving back and forth between TCC and TU a lot. The education will be the same but TU will be the spa experience while TCC will be 24 Hour Fitness.
Lol we already had that to some degree.

Reactions: jerandlaur
All of this from a superficial view seems to be a step in the right direction but there are still many questions left unanswered. The biggest question i have is what steps were agreed upon by the board to improve the current financial crisis and how much leeway will the next president be given to either build on the current strategy or go in a different direction.

Look at the last action. They have 3-8 years to right this ship.
Yeah, the budget cuts will be the hardest ones to manage...because you can only cut out so many supplies. This will eliminate staff, and unfortunately not the right staff...more than likely this will disproportionately affect staff that actually work and make a difference in the life of a student versus cutting some of the fat, associate deans, associate provosts. There are depts who are single use and have a single function that have dept heads and add'l admins who take chunks of budget. We've talked before how the addition of these depts. is the single greatest reason for higher ed being at the upper end of inflationary growth over the past twenty years which went hand in hand with student loans growing. Biggest problem will be that TU won't reduce tuition and fees to attract more students and they don't have the amount of $$$ needed to back scholarships.

And don't think this isn't going to be used by AAC competitors, or anyone else for that matter, on the recruiting trail. "I see you have an offer from Tulsa. You know they're having serious financial issues to the point that they may have to close the school in 5-6 years. You should read this story about that."

UGH

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Yeah, the budget cuts will be the hardest ones to manage...because you can only cut out so many supplies. This will eliminate staff, and unfortunately not the right staff...more than likely this will disproportionately affect staff that actually work and make a difference in the life of a student versus cutting some of the fat, associate deans, associate provosts. There are depts who are single use and have a single function that have dept heads and add'l admins who take chunks of budget. We've talked before how the addition of these depts. is the single greatest reason for higher ed being at the upper end of inflationary growth over the past twenty years which went hand in hand with student loans growing. Biggest problem will be that TU won't reduce tuition and fees to attract more students and they don't have the amount of $$$ needed to back scholarships.

And don't think this isn't going to be used by AAC competitors, or anyone else for that matter, on the recruiting trail. "I see you have an offer from Tulsa. You know they're having serious financial issues to the point that they may have to close the school in 5-6 years. You should read this story about that."

UGH
While I think the future of athletics is very uncertain with the new model, one area it definitely will help is admission standards. As our admission standards drop, which they will with TU Committed and probably a lot, it will be much easier to get admission for student athletes. And to keep them qualified since the overall required performance for the entire student body will drop. So a lot of the pressure we're always hearing about how coaches can't get athletes admitted will be reduced a lot.

While I think the future of athletics is very uncertain with the new model, one area it definitely will help is admission standards. As our admission standards drop, which they will with TU Committed and probably a lot, it will be much easier to get admission for student athletes. And to keep them qualified since the overall required performance for the entire student body will drop. So a lot of the pressure we're always hearing about how coaches can't get athletes admitted will be reduced a lot.

That is not an acceptable solution to that issue.

That is not an acceptable solution to that issue.
The thing that worries me is, will they find an excuse to maintain something like the current academic standards for athletics while the standards drop everywhere else. Maybe by having informal admissions loopholes that get applied almost universally but not in athletics, so athletics does not get the benefit of the overall lower standards. There's reasons someone might do that, in addition to hating athletics, and hating athletics might make all the other reasons make more sense.

The thing that worries me is, will they find an excuse to maintain something like the current academic standards for athletics while the standards drop everywhere else. Maybe by having informal admissions loopholes that get applied almost universally but not in athletics, so athletics does not get the benefit of the overall lower standards. There's reasons someone might do that, in addition to hating athletics, and hating athletics might make all the other reasons make more sense.
I'd be careful here, you are starting to sound like Rippen.

All of this from a superficial view seems to be a step in the right direction but there are still many questions left unanswered. The biggest question i have is what steps were agreed upon by the board to improve the current financial crisis and how much leeway will the next president be given to either build on the current strategy or go in a different direction.
Exactly.

We don't need more ominous statements from the board.

That helps nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Where is the statement about a national search? A new, credible leader is paramount to fixing this mess.

From the Harvard of the Southwest to the Coog High of Oklahoma. What a quick trip it’s been.

From the Harvard of the Southwest to the Coog High of Oklahoma. What a quick trip it’s been.
I think they would have needed to drop them even without the new academic plan. They lost so many foreign nationals (Chinese) kids over the last few years, that the previous admission model for domestic students is unsustainable.

Nailed it. I didn't think it would be this quick to come to fruition...usually they wait a full semester before making they "he won't be returning to the role as president" announcement, but my guess is Clancy didn't want to keep up the charade and to lessen his anxiety over the crap going on. I fear if Levit is considered TU will cease to exist in a few years as I think a good number of professors and others will just take their talents elsewhere rather than work under someone who has no appreciation for the efforts of those who actually make the leaders look good. (That's what I loved about Dr. Lawless- he always appreciated the staff and took time out of his days to visit with different staff members).
Didn’t nail it. He was planning on coming back and they wanted him to come back when he took medical leave. I can’t give you more. One of my favorite contradictions amongst the people that believe there is a conspiracy/power grab is their belief that on the one hand the accreditation folks say that they arent sure TU Commitment is the right path (omitting that the same accreditation guidance also says stop changing leadership every couple of years) and the idea that TU wants to change leadership to install Levit and GKFF folks. TU is not effing around with the accreditation review. It says stabilize your leadership. They aren’t going to intentionally destabilize it.

There will be a national search for the next President. It would not surprise me if Janet Levit applies. It would also not surprise me if other persons close to the GKFF apply, as well as several prominent local politicians, including one very recognizable name. I would not hold out hope for a legendary figure like Lawless, but I think it will be an academic known and respected by the HLC and someone we’ve never heard of. That’s my guess.

Last edited:
Right. I forgot that you were THE power player in everything TU. An entire change of everything in 13 days. Whatever. Go back to thinking that SMU is our competition.

Didn’t nail it. He was planning on coming back and they wanted him to come back when he took medical leave. I can’t give you more. One of my favorite contradictions amongst the people that believe there is a conspiracy/power grab is their belief that on the one hand the accreditation folks say that they arent sure TU Commitment is the right path (omitting that the same accreditation guidance also says stop changing leadership every couple of years) and the idea that TU wants to change leadership to install Levit and GKFF folks. TU is not effing around with the accreditation review. It says stabilize your leadership. They aren’t going to intentionally destabilize it.

There will be a national search for the next President. It would not surprise me if Janet Levit applies. It would also not surprise me if other persons close to the GKFF apply, as well as several prominent local politicians, including one very recognizable name. I would not hold out hope for a legendary figure like Lawless, but I think it will be an academic known and respected by the HLC and someone we’ve never heard of. That’s my guess.
LOL, ok, you if you really want us to say you were were right before you were wrong, we'll say it - I'm sure you were right before you were wrong. Feel better?

LOL, ok, you if you really want us to say you were were right before you were wrong, we'll say it - I'm sure you were right before you were wrong. Feel better?

Huffy just has a big ego. The letter says that he can’t be President but that he can still teach at the med school and do fundraising and recruit students. Yeah, okay, nothing fishy about that at all. And it all coincides with the end of his initial contract?!

Reactions: chito_and_leon

Bill LaFortune?

Ron,
I am presently soliciting my solicitor to get me off on that charge. So I haven't explored our glorious penal system's allowance's for prisoner's yet. I will let you know as soon as I find time to explore that rabbit hole.
P. Tay

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Ron,
I am presently soliciting my solicitor to get me off on that charge. So I haven't explored our glorious penal system's allowance's for prisoner's yet. I will let you know as soon as I find time to explore that rabbit hole.
P. Tay
Penal System. Ha.

- Barrister.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It would not surprise me if Janet Levit applies.
Given the toxic waste dump they've created at 11th & Harvard, this would take some gigantic juevos. Or perhaps the confidence of knowing you're married to the boss. With our record with John Phillips and Bill Blankenship, how could we not jump at the chance to hire a homegrown person completely lacking in the necessary skills or experience??? What could go wrong?

Maybe the board really did want Clancy to stay but don't you think they're all breathing a sigh of relief to have a chance for a reboot? They desperately need a way to change the trajectory. It's probably easier to change presidents than strategic direction. BTW, I don't think this is some GFKK conspiracy - they already owned the top 2 people at TU, why would they want to change. I suspect this is the oldest story in business - head guy wasn't getting it done and now somebody else gets a shot. But what do I know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT