ADVERTISEMENT

Chapman Hair Band Concert

So I went, reluctantly. I don't listen to rock music at all. Turns out, I had a very good time. Just the people watching alone was worth it.

Chapman is an excellent venue for concerts. Not a bad seat in the house, unlike sitting on an upper deck somewhere a half mile away from the stage. It's the ideal size for Tulsa. All three acts mentioned it had been a long time there had been a concert at this stadium, and they seemed really pleased with the crowd. I estimated 25k.

TU should definitely consider hosting more concerts. They need to get more concession stands set up....where have we heard that before? They ran out of water early, but I'm not sure that was TU's fault. But people had a good time, and it was nice to see the place full of people who likely had never been to Chapman.

TU is prohibited by federal law from hosting the event. They rent the facilities for a fee to the promoter, who is responsible for everything going on inside. TU has some limited responsibilities regarding security and ingress/egress, but that’s it. The promoter did contract with SoDexo but other vendors were there as well. There were kinks in that process. So keep that in mind when frustrated with SoDexo this fall.

Some of the concession line problems are structural, not staffing. There’s limited space to conduct transactions and limits on how amenities behind the counter can be placed to make workers the most efficient as possible. It’s not 1930 anymore and when they built the place they didn’t know what a credit card machine or kegerator was.

But this was a soft opening. As I mentioned last year, if the concert was successful, there will be more. But that’s up to the promoter. If they made enough revenue per ticket, I’m sure TU will take a check and give them a key. The promoter I’m sure will learn lessons and improve the experience to generate more profit from sales.

The proceeds from this event, in part, paid for badly needed student experience upgrades, including a Starbucks in the library. So I certainly hope these concerts continue. But if you monitor social media, there’s already dissatisfied people on campus and in the neighborhood bellyaching.

Last edited:
One stadium observation. The lights on the east side have been replaced with new LED lights, on new poles. The west side and corners are still the same lights we have had. So I am betting that it was the case that insurance covered the broken light pole and the replacement of the east side, so for this season at least we will have a new/old light mixture. If I had to guess I would say the west side lights get replaced after this season.

One stadium observation. The lights on the east side have been replaced with new LED lights, on new poles. The west side and corners are still the same lights we have had. So I am betting that it was the case that insurance covered the broken light pole and the replacement of the east side, so for this season at least we will have a new/old light mixture. If I had to guess I would say the west side lights get replaced after this season.
There’s a schedule associated with the maintenance endowment for each athletic facility. Iirc, it’s 2 more years on the lights but the years are flying by and I could be wrong.

Yes....what I meant by TU hosting more concerts, is that we should be available for more concerts if promoters want us. Feels like a win/win/win/win for TU, our perception, the city and the promoters.
The townies are complaining today about the traffic, as I understand it. So the perception isn’t all good. Whatever.

For a city the size of Tulsa to not have a purpose built city owned large scale outdoor music venue that isn’t a baseball stadium is a glaring omission. The Gathering Place should have included it. Until that’s built, TU’s presence in this space is badly needed. I hope they build the outdoor pavilion on the back of Lorton as previously proposed.

Reactions: TU65alum
It's once in several decades. Plus TU has home football games that cause traffic too.

Not to sound harsh, but it's like people living by the airport complaining about airplane noise.
It's not the greatest look for us that the people living around our stadium are unaccustomed to dealing with crowds... I can see the local news talking to residents, "I didn't know there was a stadium there", "I thought they closed that place in the 80s", "they should have told us they were building a stadium, we wouldn't have moved here if we'd know that was going in".....

All I can say is, get used to it prima donnas! Gonna be an every other week problem in a year or two when K Wilson has us in the top 10.

It's once in several decades. Plus TU has home football games that cause traffic too.

Not to sound harsh, but it's like people living by the airport complaining about airplane noise.

I think a lot of the traffic had to do with the majority of the crowd arriving at the same time. Even when the stadium seated 40k, I don’t recall ever being backed up on to I-244.

A lot a vehicles were exiting on Yale so I guess Harvard could have been even worse.

The concession space issue can be solved with outside order takers processing order and payment and the patron walking to the window to pick up the order. There is Wi-Fi in the stadium so fire Sodexo and hire Chick-a-fila bet they would solve the problem.

The townies are complaining today about the traffic, as I understand it. So the perception isn’t all good. Whatever.

For a city the size of Tulsa to not have a purpose built city owned large scale outdoor music venue that isn’t a baseball stadium is a glaring omission. The Gathering Place should have included it. Until that’s built, TU’s presence in this space is badly needed. I hope they build the outdoor pavilion on the back of Lorton as previously proposed.
Wasn't there a plan to redo the ampitheater on the west side to do something like this? So growing up there was one built in Mansfield, MA called Great Woods (now Xfinity Center). It's a GREAT outdoor concert venue. Some bowl seating lower and then hillside/lawn seating. I believe OKC is doing something like this at the zoo. Tulsa could do it in a number of locations around the city whether it's along the river near the Gathering Place or in Mohawk Park, or across the river on the Oktoberfest grounds or down by the Riverwalk in Jenks, or now Bixby is doing a development on the river near where they do the BBQ and Blues Festival.

The concession space issue can be solved with outside order takers processing order and payment and the patron walking to the window to pick up the order. There is Wi-Fi in the stadium so fire Sodexo and hire Chick-a-fila bet they would solve the problem.
They tried to do this when TU didn’t really have any IT support. And there were problems. Now that the new team is in place and starting to flex, these issues I’m sure will be looked at again.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Wasn't there a plan to redo the ampitheater on the west side to do something like this? So growing up there was one built in Mansfield, MA called Great Woods (now Xfinity Center). It's a GREAT outdoor concert venue. Some bowl seating lower and then hillside/lawn seating. I believe OKC is doing something like this at the zoo. Tulsa could do it in a number of locations around the city whether it's along the river near the Gathering Place or in Mohawk Park, or across the river on the Oktoberfest grounds or down by the Riverwalk in Jenks, or now Bixby is doing a development on the river near where they do the BBQ and Blues Festival.
See the link above from HK

I saw some drone shots of the concert last night. Amazing crowd.

That is great and a good showing for TU and the neighborhood. The angry old man group of people that live near there need to get over it. We're talking what, 10-15 nights a year of inconvenience while TU hosts big events in the stadium (concerts, TU football games, and local HS football games).

But then there is this:

Looks like a fun, rocking concert experience. "Would you ask Messrs. Lee and Stixx to hold the show until my chablis arrives?" Normal people are behind the luxury suites. I'd love to see a bunch of drunk hooligans chucking empty beer cans into the richy rich section.

Sunset-MBT_VIP-Terrace-01_Edit-2048x1685.jpg

Carson and TU tweeted that they'd like to do about 4-6 concerts like this a year. Maybe we can get Garth to come do a week of shows here. He did a set at the old Drillers' stadium in the mid 90s. I worked the beer wristband stand during those so I got a week of free concerts and it's probably the only reason I like Garth Brooks.
Seems like six would be a really tight schedule.

Proposing the same thing in Mustang/Tuttle down here..
Correct. Same company. Live Notes I believe it’s called. Private company installing these throughout the country. Investment opportunities for qualified investors. So far they’ve had good luck getting these done in CO I believe. And I’ve heard that where they currently have amphitheaters built, they have attracted top acts.

From the rendering, it looks like this would be on the West Bank, where the floating amphitheater used to be.

I remember seeing Alice Cooper at the Convention Center during my senior year of high school in 1973. 50 years later, here he is again. They did a fake guillotine act to climax the 1973 show. He may actually look healthier today.
He did the guillotine last night.
Beer and water were quick and easy to get on the floor.
Lots of food options on the east side of the stadium.
ReyCen. Cooling station was set up in way there was no circulation and hot AC irons to a few folks we talked to.

Crowd was great! Security weren’t jerks and, all three bands out on great shows!

We were 2 row just E off center stage. A lady on the right side of the side stage a few rows got AC’s cane/wand and almost had a few pics but couldn’t catch them.
Lots of boobs out around us for Tommy Lee!
Crues dancers and AC’s guitar player were sights to behold! Whew!

I live just a few blocks south of the stadium, Tulsa Police did an excellent job monitoring the traffic/parking in our neighborhood. Was it a little inconvenient...yes, however I believe the event was good for TU and for the city of Tulsa. If the university wanted to host 1 or 2 similar type events every year, I would support TU in making that decision. President Carson is trying new ideas in opening up the university to the city. He is the best president since Twyman and only time will tell if he is better.

I live just a few blocks south of the stadium, Tulsa Police did an excellent job monitoring the traffic/parking in our neighborhood. Was it a little inconvenient...yes, however I believe the event was good for TU and for the city of Tulsa. If the university wanted to host 1 or 2 similar type events every year, I would support TU in making that decision. President Carson is trying new ideas in opening up the university to the city. He is the best president since Twyman and only time will tell if he is better.
He wants to do it 5 to 6 times per year.

The last time I saw Garth, he was sitting on the floor in Home Depot late on night rummaging through a box of extension cords. He was frustrated that he couldn’t find what he was looking for and no one was around to help. Several employees were at the end of the aisle peeking around the corner but were afraid to approach him.

I told the group on the way out that the guy down there needs some help. Hopefully one of them got brave enough to assist.
Not much help to be had at that Home Depot in Owasso unless your there in the mornings where you have to keep repeating thanks, but I'm good.

With 16 bb games, 6 fb games, and 3 or 4 other events, 5 or 6 concerts might be pushing it. Carson may want to try 2 events and work his way up to around 4. 5 or 6 events might be pushing iy a little.

TU is prohibited by federal law from hosting the event. They rent the facilities for a fee to the promoter, who is responsible for everything going on inside. TU has some limited responsibilities regarding security and ingress/egress, but that’s it. The promoter did contract with SoDexo but other vendors were there as well. There were kinks in that process. So keep that in mind when frustrated with SoDexo this fall.

Some of the concession line problems are structural, not staffing. There’s limited space to conduct transactions and limits on how amenities behind the counter can be placed to make workers the most efficient as possible. It’s not 1930 anymore and when they built the place they didn’t know what a credit card machine or kegerator was.

But this was a soft opening. As I mentioned last year, if the concert was successful, there will be more. But that’s up to the promoter. If they made enough revenue per ticket, I’m sure TU will take a check and give them a key. The promoter I’m sure will learn lessons and improve the experience to generate more profit from sales.

The proceeds from this event, in part, paid for badly needed student experience upgrades, including a Starbucks in the library. So I certainly hope these concerts continue. But if you monitor social media, there’s already dissatisfied people on campus and in the neighborhood bellyaching.
Those dissatisfied folks need to pound sand, kick rocks, or whatever else. Large events are going to create inconveniences and distraction for the neighboring folks, but the benefits for the university, city, and crowd in attendance in my opinion outweigh a bit of disruption. These things aren't an everyday occurrence, which might warrant concern.

Last edited:
People are going to complain about something no matter what 99.999999999999% of the time. There are some miserable people out there who just HAVE to find the negative in every situation. I’ve seen a couple of whiny Facebook posts and heard about a few students throwing a fit about their parking spots, but the vast majority of what I’ve seen on social media has been overwhelmingly positive. In most of these cases it seems like it’s their first time on campus with comments like “I didn’t realize how good of a venue Chapman stadium is” or “I’d definitely go back for another concert” - maybe those folks had such a good experience they might want to try coming to a football game.

Overall it’s great publicity for the university, extra revenue, and adds something positive to the Tulsa metro area.

Haters gonna hate, but that hate has been mostly drowned out.

Last edited:
People are going to complain about something no matter what 99.999999999999% of the time. There are some miserable people out there who just HAVE to find the negative in every situation. I’ve seen a couple of whiny Facebook posts and heard about a few students throwing a fit about their parking spots, but the vast majority of what I’ve seen on social media has been overwhelmingly positive. I’m most of these cases it seems like it’s their first time on campus with comments like “I didn’t realize how good of a venue Chapman stadium is” or “I’d definitely go back for another concert” - maybe those folks had such a good experience they might want to try coming to a football game.

Overall it’s great publicity for the university, extra revenue, and adds something positive to the Tulsa metro area.

People are going to complain about something no matter what 99.999999999999% of the time. There are some miserable people out there who just HAVE to find the negative in every situation. I’ve seen a couple of whiny Facebook posts and heard about a few students throwing a fit about their parking spots, but the vast majority of what I’ve seen on social media has been overwhelmingly positive. I’m most of these cases it seems like it’s their first time on campus with comments like “I didn’t realize how good of a venue Chapman stadium is” or “I’d definitely go back for another concert” - maybe those folks had such a good experience they might want to try coming to a football game.

There are bunch of parents still whining on a TU Parents Group that I read through from time to time.

They can’t believe that with the tuition they pay, little Johnny and little Susie had to move their cars offsite for a day.

They are also shocked that the University would allow several thousand unaffiliated guests onto the campus at night. None of our kids are safe.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
There are bunch of parents still whining on a TU Parents Group that I read through from time to time.

They can’t believe that with the tuition they pay, little Johnny and little Susie had to move their cars offsite for a day.

They are also shocked that the University would allow several thousand unaffiliated guests onto the campus at night. None of our kids are safe.
In todays Karen culture, that does not surprise me in the least. I’m sure TU received several calls today with Karens demanding to speak to the manager of the university.

In todays Karen culture, that does not surprise me in the least. I’m sure TU received several calls today with Karens demanding to speak to the manager of the university.

Yes, this bunch would have you believe that we sat in the stadium worshipping the devil for 5 hours then were unleashed to terrorize unsuspecting teens.

Those dissatisfied folks need to pound sand, kick rocks, or whatever else. Large events are going to create inconveniences and distraction for the neighboring folks, but the benefits for the university, city, and crowd in attendance in my opinion outweigh a bit of disruption. These things aren't an everyday occurrence, which might warrant concern.
I don't understand this at all. They live in a city, there are a lot of people close together, things happen in cities that attract a lot of people and often are loud. Do these people literally not understand how cities work? If they want to live in a place where nothing happens and the loudest noise after sunset is the frogs at the pond and a car backfiring on the hihghway, move to Glenpool. Otherwise, deal.

My seat buddy lives a few houses down past the laundromat and I was going to as him about it but forgot. Always park in his driveway. Sounds like he may be close to you.

If we do not make it obnoxiously loud for the neighbors IMO we should be good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT