ADVERTISEMENT

Chapman Hair Band Concert

I'm shocked at both those pieces of news.(low sales, and $9)
Combination of a couple of things. First, times is hard. A lot harder than people want to admit. Second, Springsteen hasn’t released a song anybody from Oklahoma can relate to into major airplay in 30 years. And his sales in the south weren’t that strong then.

As for the concert at Chapman, sales will pick up when the weather is forecast. If it doesn’t, it just proves what people have been saying for 30 years. It’s not the product on the field, it’s the lack of investment in the facility.

Combination of a couple of things. First, times is hard. A lot harder than people want to admit. Second, Springsteen hasn’t released a song anybody from Oklahoma can relate to into major airplay in 30 years. And his sales in the south weren’t that strong then.

As for the concert at Chapman, sales will pick up when the weather is forecast. If it doesn’t, it just proves what people have been saying for 30 years. It’s not the product on the field, it’s the lack of investment in the facility.
The only thing Springsteen did that Oklahomans ever really picked up on was my least favorite song, Born in the USA. I still thought he was more popular in state than $9 tickets. I like a few of his songs, he's not my favorite. I like Streets of Philadelphia, I'm On Fire, and a few others. I don't think the stadium is going to keep memory lane supporters of hair bands from coming.

The only thing Springsteen did that Oklahomans ever really picked up on was my least favorite song, Born in the USA. I still thought he was more popular in state than $9 tickets. I like a few of his songs, he's not my favorite. I like Streets of Philadelphia, I'm On Fire, and a few others. I don't think the stadium is going to keep memory lane supporters of hair bands from coming.
Wonder how Lizzo is doing with her show? Maybe it is more a reflection of how tastes have changed. I was surprised how lightly Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets was attended at the Tulsa (Brady) Theater last year. Surely he would have done better a decade ago. Maybe our market is too small for some of these older artists who need lots of old folks to attend.

I'm shocked at both those pieces of news.(low sales, and $9)
Those cheap seats for Springstein are behind the stage and I'm not sure about the quality of viewing that would be. Regardless of price they can keep them as far as I'm concerned. Sure hope the concert on campus will pick up though.

Those cheap seats for Springstein are behind the stage and I'm not sure about the quality of viewing that would be. Regardless of price they can keep them as far as I'm concerned. Sure hope the concert on campus will pick up though.
I was behind the stage for Billy Joel and U2. The Edge was probably 100 ft from me and turned around often. Joel had a rotating stage. Good experiences.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I too am not a big fan of Bruce S.

Everybody's Got A Hungry Heart is good.

Blinded By the Light but not his version.

Blinded By the Light but not his version.
I like Mannfred Mann's version better no question, but Bruce's is not bad as well. If M Mann hadn't done their version, I would probably listen a lot more to Bruce doing it. The song is great.

I had a chick I went out with once deliver an insult to one of my favorite musicians. She said he sounded like Bruce Springsteen. Yes they do share some similarities in sound, but only a little bit. if she had said Bruce Springsteen sounded like the guy, I would have taken it as an insult as well.

The musician was Tom Waits.

Needless to say I never went out with her again, mainly because she said that.
She wasn't my kind of chick if all she could think of, when I introduced her to Tom Waits was, he sounds kind of like Springsteen.

Springsteen will tell you Born in the USA is one of his least favorite songs he's done mostly because it is not about what most people think it's about and it's seriously misunderstood or the intention of the song is actually ripping on the US gov't and how the country treated Vietnam vets poorly.

I think I'm gonna start something on Crossfire, musically speaking.

Oh crap! Too late. There's a little politics in lyrics over time, but I'm talking about melodies, rythms, bands, musicians, favorites and so on. The guys on Crossfire need to forget about politics for a minute and post about the stuff that feeds the soul.

I was behind the stage for Billy Joel and U2. The Edge was probably 100 ft from me and turned around often. Joel had a rotating stage. Good experiences.
Mrs Babe has already requested a trip to Vegas this fall for the U2 show at the Sphere. I’m fine as long as it doesn’t interfere with football.

For the Tulsa show, we joined the fan club for the floor standing area and were about 5 feet from the stage, Adam’s side.

Mrs Babe has already requested a trip to Vegas this fall for the U2 show at the Sphere. I’m fine as long as it doesn’t interfere with football.

For the Tulsa show, we joined the fan club for the floor standing area and were about 5 feet from the stage, Adam’s side.
More importantly, were you there at the Brady for the 1983 show? I was. War tour.

Tickets are selling very slowly for this show. Maybe 15% sold so far. That may not bode well for future acts in the stadium.

Speaking of slow ticket sales, you can pick up Springsteen tickets for as low as $9 each on VividSeats.com for his upcoming show at the BOk.
$9.... still too expensive

Springsteen will tell you Born in the USA is one of his least favorite songs he's done mostly because it is not about what most people think it's about and it's seriously misunderstood or the intention of the song is actually ripping on the US gov't and how the country treated Vietnam vets poorly.

Pretty much everyone knows what the song’s about. Not much subtlety there

Last edited:
Pretty much everyone knows what the song’s about. Not much subtlety there
Apparently not because you kept hearing it played at campaign rallies across the country until Springsteen sent cease and desist orders for them being idiots and not understanding what the song is about.

Apparently not because you kept hearing it played at campaign rallies across the country until Springsteen sent cease and desist orders for them being idiots and not understanding what the song is about.

OR maybe they’re like me when I watch Starship Troopers and pretend it’s not being ironic. I know it’s meant as a critique but I ignore it and pretend otherwise because it’s fun and it annoys the person who made it.

OR maybe they’re like me when I watch Starship Troopers and pretend it’s not being ironic. I know it’s meant as a critique but I ignore it and pretend otherwise because it’s fun and it annoys the person who made it.
I don't think the supposed leader of that pack has a strong concept of irony. Others do though.(the real leaders of that pack)

• Haha
Big price drop on the Def Leppard tickets today. Prime seats dropped from $183 to $123 for example.

This one isn’t selling anywhere near what was expected.

• Wow
Reactions: HuffyCane
I just got a text from a friend in OKC wondering why this show is on a Wednesday night at 5:45. If that’s the case, I look forward to dinner at 9!

I just got a text from a friend in OKC wondering why this show is on a Wednesday night at 5:45. If that’s the case, I look forward to dinner at 9!
Tulsa is a layover date as the tour moves between two major venues - that’s the reason for the weird day. It’s pure profit for the bands.

Tulsa is a layover date as the tour moves between two major venues - that’s the reason for the weird day. It’s pure profit for the bands.
The concert comes between Fargo, Omaha and El Paso. This leg of the tour is mostly smaller areas and venues.

They did a much larger tour last year, visiting mostly MLB stadiums. Those shows were very well attended.

The concert comes between Fargo, Omaha and El Paso. This leg of the tour is mostly smaller areas and venues.

They did a much larger tour last year, visiting mostly MLB stadiums. Those shows were very well attended.
Thanks. The explanation I gave was given to me before the tour dates were announced. Principle is the same. The concert is a convenient stop over city with a history of supporting live metal.

I checked with Ticketmaster this week. With the recent price drops, you can upgrade to better seats if desired for a $10 per ticket fee.

I still don’t think they’ve sold anywhere near 25% of the available tickets. I wouldn’t be shocked if this gets cancelled for unspecified reasons.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah but Taylor Swift sucks. I could be wrong but I don't think Huffy would say we'd be talking about it twenty years later.
LOL, sounds like someone who doesn't interact with many young women and girls. This will be a life defining concert for many of them. It's hard to grasp how popular TS is with them, it's like U2 was when I was a kid except that the emotional connection they feel to TS is a lot stronger. Trivia question, who is the only artist in the history of the Billboard Top 100 to have all 10 of the top 10 spots?

LOL, sounds like someone who doesn't interact with many young women and girls. This will be a life defining concert for many of them. It's hard to grasp how popular TS is with them, it's like U2 was when I was a kid except that the emotional connection they feel to TS is a lot stronger. Trivia question, who is the only artist in the history of the Billboard Top 100 to have all 10 of the top 10 spots?
Probably Taylor Swift. It may not be your cup of tea, but she is extraordinarily talented. Writes her own songs and music, capable of playing multiple instruments and her songs resonate with people and their feelings. Sort of like Hanson or the boy bands back in the day (except the boy bands barely sang their own songs...Hanson is another one that probably soured a lot of people when MmmBop! became their first hit and annoyingly overplayed on the radio. There later stuff, and stuff they wrote specifically for a Cain's audience in mind is actually pretty good.

And U2 and Billy Joel are the 2 artists I would part with my money regardless of how insane prices are to make sure I got to see them live.

Probably Taylor Swift. It may not be your cup of tea, but she is extraordinarily talented. Writes her own songs and music, capable of playing multiple instruments and her songs resonate with people and their feelings. Sort of like Hanson or the boy bands back in the day (except the boy bands barely sang their own songs...Hanson is another one that probably soured a lot of people when MmmBop! became their first hit and annoyingly overplayed on the radio. There later stuff, and stuff they wrote specifically for a Cain's audience in mind is actually pretty good.

And U2 and Billy Joel are the 2 artists I would part with my money regardless of how insane prices are to make sure I got to see them live.
I listen to old man music and Taylor Swift is not on my playlist but I have visibility to her through a teenage daughter. I do agree that many "sophisticated" music fans, especially those of a certain gender and age, tend to diminish her talent and career because her target audience is younger women, who those "sophisticated" fans do not view as being equally serious. But she holds pretty much every streaming record there is. And her last album release, timed at midnight to protect the streaming services, still crashed Spotify. She resonates at an artistic and emotional level with many, many millions of fans in a way that no other current artist does.

Reactions: drboobay and TU_BLA
That emotional connection with millions doesn't make her talent any better. Memorable concert that is part of childhood, maybe. Life defining? The boy bands/hair bands though popular, were not life defining. It's milk toast music with no real grit. Johnny Mathis, Tom Jones, etc etc were popular in their day. They were not life defining. Their are tons of acts that were popular with the youth/female youth of their time that were not life defining. All popular musicians with the youth are not Elvis & The Beatles. In fact most acts that are popular with the youth are not Elvis or the Beatles. Those are exceptions to the rule.

That emotional connection with millions doesn't make her talent any better. Memorable concert that is part of childhood, maybe. Life defining? The boy bands/hair bands though popular, were not life defining. It's milk toast music with no real grit. Johnny Mathis, Tom Jones, etc etc were popular in their day. They were not life defining. Their are tons of acts that were popular with the youth/female youth of their time that were not life defining. All popular musicians with the youth are not Elvis & The Beatles. In fact most acts that are popular with the youth are not Elvis or the Beatles. Those are exceptions to the rule.
So I'm a huge Beatles fan and some of Elvis' later stuff is fantastic...Suspicious Minds is an all time great song. I used to not get music at the time it was released and I was sort of an anti-person...I was anti against most fads and things that were popular at the moment and years later would watch a TV show past its prime in streaming or start listening to music. I can tell you that Bon Jovi and Prince were 2 that I would never listen to as a kid but love to listen to now. Prince is one of those generational musical geniuses. Again, I think history will put Taylor Swift in that category eventually. Eminem will eventually get there too. Whether it's our cup of tea or not, their impact in music and on the world in general will outlive them (like Elvis and the Beatles and Michael Jackson and Prince) and influence music and society for generations to follow.

We’ve seen U2 five times now. Their general admission area on the floor is the best value out there at $90 each.

We had Billy Joel tickets in Arlington a couple of weeks ago but that show got postponed until next March due to Covid. We’re now planning on seeing him in Kansas City in August.

It’s insane what people will pay to see Taylor Swift. We lucked into some $49 limited view tickets, and heard that folks sitting around us had happily paid $500 for a pair on the resale market.

Fortunately, I was able to watch the show from a standing room area in the stadium club as those limited view seats were terrible.

We’ve seen U2 five times now. Their general admission area on the floor is the best value out there at $90 each.

We had Billy Joel tickets in Arlington a couple of weeks ago but that show got postponed until next March due to Covid. We’re now planning on seeing him in Kansas City in August.

It’s insane what people will pay to see Taylor Swift. We lucked into some $49 limited view tickets, and heard that folks sitting around us had happily paid $500 for a pair on the resale market.

Fortunately, I was able to watch the show from a standing room area in the stadium club as those limited view seats were terrible.
They are paying $50 for the show and $450 to annoy you about going to the show on social media.

So I'm a huge Beatles fan and some of Elvis' later stuff is fantastic...Suspicious Minds is an all time great song. I used to not get music at the time it was released and I was sort of an anti-person...I was anti against most fads and things that were popular at the moment and years later would watch a TV show past its prime in streaming or start listening to music. I can tell you that Bon Jovi and Prince were 2 that I would never listen to as a kid but love to listen to now. Prince is one of those generational musical geniuses. Again, I think history will put Taylor Swift in that category eventually. Eminem will eventually get there too. Whether it's our cup of tea or not, their impact in music and on the world in general will outlive them (like Elvis and the Beatles and Michael Jackson and Prince) and influence music and society for generations to follow.
I agree with everything you said except about Taylor Swift. She is an average countryish/popish musician in my opinion. She's popular with the young, and I think that will disappear in time. Eminem will definitely have staying power. I'd much rather listen to Billie Eilesh and her brother's writing talents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT