ADVERTISEMENT

Casting Call-TU Needs a New Defensive Coordinator

Oak775

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
May 31, 2020
It’s fascinating to read about the coaching carousel that occurs every year in sports, college or professional.

If you’re a big TU football fan we’ve all been waiting on an announcement about a candidate, finalists, or a hire for the vacant defensive coordinator position. Yet, there’s been nothing.

Enquiring minds would love to know. Is there room for another coach? If so, who would be a good candidate?

Reactions: quincy101
Well, I doubt it will be Kelly Hines that announces a hire first. This gal comes back to TU from only one year covering the "Pokes". Wonder why only 1 year? I imagine KDub thinks our press is a step down from those covering Oh10 St. in Columbus.

Well, I doubt it will be Kelly Hines that announces a hire first. This gal comes back to TU from only one year covering the "Pokes". Wonder why only 1 year? I imagine KDub thinks our press is a step down from those covering Oh10 St. in Columbus.
I believe she chose to do so.

I believe she chose to do so.
Perhaps so. But if so, she needs to pick up the pace with articles. Surely she can find some topics on TU Football, human interest on players, on coaches. Something more often than once every week or longer.

OK, maybe I was too hard on Hines. It's the editors that suck. Sports ed. , Editorial page and so forth at the TW. Still, it's a cushy J.O.B when you only write one column per week & don't push for more. And the sports editor apparently dropped the ball again when we have to read about no new DC except from kcarzoli on here.

Why does everyone think the writers choose what content is in the paper everyday? Bitch about the editors not the writers.
And you can’t even blame this idiot any more.

Actually TU would be the party to announce the hire first through a press release. Kelly would then hopefully write a story on the announcement. Not sure how the lack of an announcement is on Kelly and not TU here ?

There are changes in the works. These things take time. We can relax. The coaches and reporters are both doing their jobs. Y’all will hear about what’s going on in due time. The team will be ready to roll, rest assured.

There are changes in the works. These things take time. We can relax. The coaches and reporters are both doing their jobs. Y’all will hear about what’s going on in due time. The team will be ready to roll, rest assured.
Not sure about relaxing after losing two defensive staff members (one coordinator) before spring ball starts.

Seems like something weird is going on here.

Well it opens up a DC spot no?
A DC who coaches special teams? Or maybe they are going to rearrange the house a little bit. Burton as DC, and somebody new as ST coach.

I wondered if Golden was supplying a little inside info, and Brown is going to Indiana. I didn't even include Brown as a possibility of leaving, but I guess I should have. If Brown goes to Indiana then that means he will probably be coaching on the DL?

Shouldn’t you be on your 3rd bowl of grape nuts right now?

R.4eab13fc86a59d3c66782613b39b91bb

Reactions: HuffyCane
Even Gold*’s favorite team is facing this problem.

Lamar University's new offensive coordinator has left the football program before ever calling a play for the Cardinals.

John Perry, who was hired by Lamar in January to lead the Cardinals' offense, is no longer at the school and has accepted another job at the FBS level, a Lamar spokesperson said when contracted by The Enterprise. Perry is a former Houston Texans assistant and most recently served as the offensive coordinator at Sam Houston.

Reactions: Oak775
I searched the web for info on my football team and found something 8 days old. A podcast from RJ Young (Memorial HS & TU during the Paul Smith era-(an LB?).He interviewed KDub and I learned a few things maybe of interest. This after Guererri bugged out & before Brown did to. Coach talked about many things, including academics. Such as a definite emphasis on tutors when needed, getting to class, academic support, and recruiting smart kids-which he's started-look at the bios of his new recruits. When TU is 123rd of 125 schools in the APR, it's very important to him.

Next, it's been suggested here we may not have a new DC, but promote from within. Not totally decided yet. Also, he has hired someone I hadn't heard about yet. Most know of Dominique Franks (Union HS, OU & Atlanta Falcons). He's the new Quality Control Coach & will help with the secondary (which,btw, he thinks is the strongest part of our D). More people in the seats from fans of his.

Who will call plays? He's not worried about that until after Spring practice. Other things are more important to him. Spoke highly of Coach Switzer as WR coach. Very impressed with his mind on route running, recognizing coverages & so on. Another name that won't hurt attendance. Spoke highly of Braylin Braxton but not from watching film. Is impressed with his leadership qualities. And is more concerned now with picking his brain on why he did what in the pocket.

Will we have 3-down guys or 4? I think he recognizes the constant depth issue here at TU, and is leaning toward the 3-man front. But that's not decided either. Well, he has Brown to replace on Special Teams at least. And I suppose he would hire a DC if a goodun just came along or maybe move someone up. Just so impressed listening to this guy talk.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
It's "The Number One College Football Show". He's got some other big time interviews so he's trying hard to be #1.

RJ ran track at TU and was a cheerleader. He went to graduate school at OU and once wrote for their rivals site.

He does color for USFL and is a Fox Sports college football analyst. The podcast is a side gig and has about 30,000 subs.

He’s also an award winning author. You can find his books on Amazon and I recommend you check that out.

Here’s the show:

I searched the web for info on my football team and found something 8 days old. A podcast from RJ Young (Memorial HS & TU during the Paul Smith era-(an LB?).He interviewed KDub and I learned a few things maybe of interest. This after Guererri bugged out & before Brown did to. Coach talked about many things, including academics. Such as a definite emphasis on tutors when needed, getting to class, academic support, and recruiting smart kids-which he's started-look at the bios of his new recruits. When TU is 123rd of 125 schools in the APR, it's very important to him.

Next, it's been suggested here we may not have a new DC, but promote from within. Not totally decided yet. Also, he has hired someone I hadn't heard about yet. Most know of Dominique Franks (Union HS, OU & Atlanta Falcons). He's the new Quality Control Coach & will help with the secondary (which,btw, he thinks is the strongest part of our D). More people in the seats from fans of his.

Who will call plays? He's not worried about that until after Spring practice. Other things are more important to him. Spoke highly of Coach Switzer as WR coach. Very impressed with his mind on route running, recognizing coverages & so on. Another name that won't hurt attendance. Spoke highly of Braylin Braxton but not from watching film. Is impressed with his leadership qualities. And is more concerned now with picking his brain on why he did what in the pocket.

Will we have 3-down guys or 4? I think he recognizes the constant depth issue here at TU, and is leaning toward the 3-man front. But that's not decided either. Well, he has Brown to replace on Special Teams at least. And I suppose he would hire a DC if a goodun just came along or maybe move someone up. Just so impressed listening to this guy talk.
The only problem with hiring a new DC is that it would mean a slight demotion for somebody else from position coach to ST coordinator.

Reactions: Oak775
RJ ran track at TU and was a cheerleader. He went to graduate school at OU and once wrote for their rivals site.

He does color for USFL and is a Fox Sports college football analyst. The podcast is a side gig and has about 30,000 subs.

He’s also an award winning author. You can find his books on Amazon and I recommend you check that out.

Here’s the show:

He's also a great guy. We overlapped quite a few years during our years at TU. He loves sports and treated everyone around him with respect even as a college kid. It makes me really happy to see him doing so well.

Reactions: drboobay
He's also a great guy. We overlapped quite a few years during our years at TU. He loves sports and treated everyone around him with respect even as a college kid. It makes me really happy to see him doing so well.
I sort of hold a disdain towards him. When he was on the Sports Animal all he could do was gush about OU and he would routinely trash and discredit TU. He sort of was like Haisten except he held a degree (and thus a personal connection) from TU

I sort of hold a disdain towards him. When he was on the Sports Animal all he could do was gush about OU and he would routinely trash and discredit TU. He sort of was like Haisten except he held a degree (and thus a personal connection) from TU
Now TU has an ex OU coach...

It's "The Number One College Football Show". He's got some other big time interviews so he's trying hard to be #1.
Thanks for telling about this podcast. That was the best interview I’ve heard from KW yet. He sounded pumped up, was happy with the talent, likes his staff. Gave good detail on the current status of the team. I am really excited after hearing him on this podcast!

Here’s the show:

Huffy, a tip of the cap.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT