ADVERTISEMENT

Casting Call-TU Needs a New Defensive Coordinator

Football players get tired of screamers……Woody Hayes, Lou Holtz, Vince LombardI, Todd Graham, and many more!

"They can get tired of me as they hold up a trophy named after me." ~Vince Lombardi

I'm guessing..

Huh? If Joe Bolden is being hired as the ST coordinator that means we have a full staff. Unless someone else is leaving, I assume we are making Ron Burton DC.

Huh? If Joe Bolden is being hired as the ST coordinator that means we have a full staff. Unless someone else is leaving, I assume we are making Ron Burton DC.
I am pretty sure Bolden is the only coach that has been hired following the 2 leaving. There was report that Dom Franks was the new DB coach, but I am fairly certain it was reported that he was hired in a defensive QC role not a full coach. I could be wrong, but can't find anything other than a post on here about it.

I decided to join the staff as the unpaid DC. My resume is long. Nothing on it but it is long, I wrote it on an old time scroll. Papyrus in fact. I bring a lot to the team....mostly baggage.
At least it’s not stone tablets.

• Haha
Reactions: TUcandoit
I am pretty sure Bolden is the only coach that has been hired following the 2 leaving. There was report that Dom Franks was the new DB coach, but I am fairly certain it was reported that he was hired in a defensive QC role not a full coach. I could be wrong, but can't find anything other than a post on here about it.
Wilson hired Dom as a QC. Wilson said some things that could have implied he was changing from QC to Assistant coach in the interview with that ex TU athlete. I just thought the announcement was delayed. Guess I shouldn't have assumed. Sounds like we have a new DC coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: edm1077
Are we going to get a Defensive Coordinator?
Bobby Bushay will be holding a press conference at the Greyhound bus terminal in downtown Tulsa. Soon!

All kidding aside, recruits and kids on campus would like to know “what‘s going on”?

Are we going to get a Defensive Coordinator?
Jeff McInerney is available.
He's actually on year 7 as Defensive Quality Control Coach at Indiana.

For you posters that weren't around when Keith Burns was our Coach, you won't know the criticism McInerney use to get from Tulsa fans when he was the Defensive Coordinator under Burns.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Jeff McInerney is available.
He's actually on year 7 as Defensive Quality Control Coach at Indiana.

For you posters that weren't around when Keith Burns was our Coach, you won't know the criticism McInerney use to get from Tulsa fans when he was the Defensive Coordinator under Burns.
I have Sophomore and junior kids asking about the DC, Spring Game, and camps. No Jr Day invites have gone out that anyone knows about (and I know of at least 4 that would get them).

Those with connections in the inside, I don’t need to know who, but is three a timeline for a DC announcement, will there be a spring game, and are camps going to be announced soon? Summer is starting to get booked for camps and vacations for some of the kids I talk to.

DC announcement, will there be a spring game, and are camps going to be announced soon?
Zero connections but a 2-wk old interview with Coach KDub indicated maybe no new hire @ DC, and move existing d-staff around a little bit. Spring practice starts within a week or ten days at most. I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a Spring game. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have supreme confidence in our new coach that he will get the best out of staff & players, regardless of who the DC is or isn't.

What irritates me is Indiana probably never would have went after Guerrieri if Wilson hadn't have hired him as DC. He should have waited and stayed DC with us in thanks for Wilson hiring him as DC.

What irritates me is Indiana probably never would have went after Guerrieri if Wilson hadn't have hired him as DC. He should have waited and stayed DC with us in thanks for Wilson hiring him as DC.
He was poached. They are paying him twice what we were paying and it’s still below the going rate for his level of responsibility in the Big 10. Short sighted because even one season of success at TU would probably translate into a much bigger payday. But you gotta get what you can while you can.

He was poached. They are paying him twice what we were paying and it’s still below the going rate for his level of responsibility in the Big 10. Short sighted because even one season of success at TU would probably translate into a much bigger payday. But you gotta get what you can while you can.
That is one way of looking at it.

We did that already, and knowing Wilson's hiring practices, Indiana poached.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Seems like he's sitting on hiring a DC or naming one off the staff an awful long time. I'm hoping he has someone he's really working on hiring. Otherwise it would seem like he should have already named one on the staff. Can't imagine it is the best thing in the world to start spring ball without having somebody already installed as the DC.

Seems like he's sitting on hiring a DC or naming one off the staff an awful long time. I'm hoping he has someone he's really working on hiring. Otherwise it would seem like he should have already named one on the staff. Can't imagine it is the best thing in the world to start spring ball without having somebody already installed as the DC.
Definitely a little strange. I’m hoping it’s all been worked out internally but just hasn’t been announced… he seems to like to work behind the scenes from what he’s done so far.

Wilson carefully assembled a staff of 10 assistants after being hired in December. Things were going well until defensive coordinator Matt Guerrieri left a month later for Indiana, and special teams coordinator Ricky Brown departed for Navy.

“I was disappointed that we lost the two coaches,” Wilson said. “We don’t do (assistant) contracts here, so they’re not bound. I lose a guy (Brown) to a conference school at the same position; most guys have contracts that (say) you can’t even take that job.

“Or if you did, there’s a buyout. I think a school in our conference received $500,000 from another program when they lost a coach. My guys were basically free agents, and I don’t know if they would have gotten those jobs if we hadn’t hired them, because they were off the field. I built the staff around those guys because they wanted to be here.”

Zero connections but a 2-wk old interview with Coach KDub indicated maybe no new hire @ DC, and move existing d-staff around a little bit. Spring practice starts within a week or ten days at most. I'm not sure why there wouldn't be a Spring game. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have supreme confidence in our new coach that he will get the best out of staff & players, regardless of who the DC is or isn't.
An Offensive lineman says that they have never worked so hard as now.

If it leads to success than yes, for sure good!

Working your ass off is great if you get rewarded by success. If not, portal city.

So a player leaves after next season. Enters Portal. He's talking to several coaches at various schools. They ask why he left Tulsa, player says Coach Wilson worked me too hard. Lol and good luck at your next team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT