ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl watch

Disappointed we're not going to Hawaii. Would have been able to fulfill an item on my bucket list.

Nice horse trading for us not-too-far-away alumni and true blue fans!!

Tulsa World says ACC opponent, some I'm guessing NC State

Oh great that they are unhappy about it. Love playing an unmotivated team (quoth Scott Sutton).

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Wow! I was in such a bad mood last night. After the ORU game and reading a prediction placing us in the Cure bowl playing Georgia Southern.

Wow

The Beamer + Fuente! Monty and the guys have a challenge and opportunity before them! GO TU!!!

one common opponent ECU. VaT loses 28-35 and TU loses 13-30 @ ECU. VaT will likely be a 7-12 point favorite.

How long is the drive from Tulsa? Possible to leave early Dec. 26 by car and make kickoff?

Mixed feelings. I'm glad it's not Georgia State but we will be a heavy underdog.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's five hours or so from Tulsa. Easy drive down the Indian Nations turnpike to I-20!

Easy bowl trip., 5 1/2 hour drive. Kickoff is 4:45 PM on Saturday, Dec. 26th. We need a big Tulsa turnout.

Better bowl than anyone could have expected!!!! Trying to remain calm.

Is this the 40th anniversary of the inaugural game?

I think it is indeed the 40th Independence Bowl. Interesting to celebrate it with a team that played in #1.

I think it is indeed the 40th Independence Bowl. Interesting to celebrate it with a team that played in #1.

That's probably why we got the bid. I don't think they would have given it to us over somebody like Arkansas or Auburn, when we are not even normally tied to this bowl in our new conference.

According 2 UofMstateU on the AmericanBBs Board:
The Independence Bowl wanted Memphis,
but Memphis would be replacing an SEC team versus the ACC.
Memphis wanted to play the SEC team in the Birmingham.

As of Last Saturday, Memphis' bowl possibilities were either
Birmingham
Indi
(Remote Possible) Liberty

Nothing else was on the table because anything else
that could have been on the table weren't as good as these 3.

The Liberty was a possibility if KState lost either of their last two games.
If the Liberty didn't happen, and if the Birmingham decided to choose Memphis,
we would go to Birmingham.

If neither happened, we were going to the Indi.

So as of a week ago, we knew one of these destinations would occur for Memphis.
The Indi had been scrambling for more than a week,
because it was clear the SEC would not have enough teams eligible to fill their spot.
(And they either couldn't get or didn't want their primary backup for the SEC.)

Tigerjeb said
There was no way Memphis would accept the I bowl against Va Tech
with Fuente and 3 other assistant coaches whispering in Beemers ear.
Add in Memphis took one for the team last year by going to Miami
and the administration really wanted an easy trip plus a P5 opponent
and Birmingham was as close to a lock as these things get.

Tulsafanzz Responded:
Tulsa always travels well for bowls. We've brought 10-15,000 for our Liberty Bowls. We even brought over 10,000 for the Freedom Bowl in 1991 in Anaheim.

The Independence is a bigger bowl.
Its ACC vs SEC. The AAC is replacing the SEC team this year.

AAC "Easily' has the best bowl line up/match up
as compared 2 the other G5 Conferences

American: 4 P5 schools and 4 strong G5 opponents

Florida State vs. Houston in Peach
USF vs. Western Kentucky (C-USA Champion) in Miami Beach Bowl
UConn vs. Marshall in St. Pete Bowl
Toledo vs Temple in Boca
Pitt vs Navy in Military
Tulsa vs Va Tech in Indy Bowl
Auburn vs Memphis in Birmingham Bowl
San Diego State (MWC Champion) vs. Cincinnati in Hawaii Bowl

AAC Bowl Payouts
Peach Bowl - $18,000,000
Independence Bowl - $1,200,000 (less for backups)
Military Bowl - $1,000,000
Miami Beach Bowl - $1,000,000
Birmingham Bowl - $900,000
Hawaii Bowl - $650,000
St. Petersburg Bowl - $537,500
Boca Raton Bowl - $400,000

Last edited:
I believe backups are conferences not aligned with that bowl. Since it was an AAC bowl this year we should receive the full payout.

Reactions: TUMe
According 2 UofMstateU on the AmericanBBs Board:
The Independence Bowl wanted Memphis,
but Memphis would be replacing an SEC team versus the ACC.
Memphis wanted to play the SEC team in the Birmingham.

AAC Bowl Payouts
Peach Bowl - $18,000,000
Independence Bowl - $1,200,000 (less for backups)
Military Bowl - $1,000,000
Miami Beach Bowl - $1,000,000
Birmingham Bowl - $900,000
Hawaii Bowl - $650,000
St. Petersburg Bowl - $537,500
Boca Raton Bowl - $400,000

Hhooter, Are u saying we are getting less than 1.2m, because we are a back up? Also, why are they going after #1 and #2 AAC choices, rather than a #9 SEC team. What reason would they have to go for Memphis when they are ties to Auburn's conference?

I believe backups are conferences not aligned with that bowl. Since it was an AAC bowl this year we should receive the full payout.

Sorry jester. I pulled that one out from under you and deleted the post for the one above, because I forgot to quote Hooter. But in response to you, I did not think there was supposed to ever be any tie to the independence bowl and the AAC. So why are we not considered a back up? I looked it up, and it only said SEC/AAC in Wikipedia.

Sorry jester. I pulled that one out from under you and deleted the post for the one above, because I forgot to quote Hooter. But in response to you, I did not think there was supposed to ever be any tie to the independence bowl and the AAC. So why are we not considered a back up? I looked it up, and it only said SEC/AAC in Wikipedia.

It was supposed to be SEC/ACC in the Indy Bowl. So, we are a back up. I think AAC & ACC get reversed a lot !

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

Crap, I'm really screwing the works here. Sorry again Jester! I looked at it again, and the ways it references bowls is really haphazard and not consistent. Way on down the line, not related to the American, it references us & conference USA as backups, when the SEC or ACC does not have enough teams. So I do think we get less than 1.2m.

It lists it under conditonal agreements for CUSA, but not under conditional agreements for the American! GRRRRhhh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT