ADVERTISEMENT

Blankenship can coach some prep ball

Weekly roundup:

Union over Norman North by 14 after trailing by 11 in the first half. Redskins practically clinch division.

BA over Edmond Santa Fe by a bunch and clinch home playoff game.

Owasso over Southmoore by 46 on Thursday. SMoore doesn't have their own stadium so the game had to be played on a non-standard night before about a hundred fans. Another negative consequence of the 6A split.

Rams travel to Norman N next week with a home playoff game on the line.

Wagoner extends their win streak to 44 with a close win over Oologah.

I didn't get scores on Keifer/Liberty or Beaver/Hooker.
Union turned the ball over 2-3 times in the 1st half and I believe one of them was taken back for a TD. Score was 28-10 at one point and Union got it back to 28-27 at half. Union then limited NN to 3 pts in the 2nd half. Remember Union is playing without their starting RB Keyvion Cooper who is a load (he actually reminds me a lot of Wilkerson at Skiatook). I would be pretty shocked if Union or Owasso don’t win 6A-1 this year

I heard that Keviyon got to go home from the hospital last week. That's very good news as his situation was very serious. I wish him the best.

In class A action, the Trojans take out liberty 41-0, starting off 0-4, Kiefer now goes to 4-4. ( must be a tough district lol)

In Panhandle action, Hooker moves to 7-1 after a dominating victory over Beaver. Ps, make sure you type Hooker Oklahoma football and not just Hooker football, your bound to get a virus on your computer

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU Sepp
In Related News:

The mighty Noble Bears kept rolling with a 43-31 win over Tulsa East Central...

This is one Memorial grad looking forward to cheering “Beat the Weenies!” In two weeks when the Green Weenies come to Noble for Senior Night.

Hatred for Edison HS never dies.

That is awesome news! Absolutely great to hear!!!

Owasso vs Norman N will be a helkuva game!

Yes, it's a big game and the last decent chance for a westside school to knock off one of the east's Big 4.

Most games this week are on Thursday due to Fall Break. Owasso at NN will be on Friday as North is another school that does not have it's own stadium.

Rams up 28-14 at the half over a tough Norman North team. Union, BA & Jenks all picked up big home wins last night.

Rams up 28-14 at the half over a tough Norman North team. Union, BA & Jenks all picked up big home wins last night.
I went to the Union/Southmoore game. Southmoore would have trouble beating a mid level 4A team. They’re turrible. 75 total yards, all rushing, all against Union’s 3rd/4th team defense. Southmoore did not have a single yard passing the football last night.

Union and Owasso are head and shoulders above everyone else in 6A1 this year. Norman North hint with Union in the 1st half last week because Union turned the ball over a ton. 2nd half was a different story and the game wasn’t close.

I would expect Union and Owasso to play again for a gold ball in December.

BTW, we need Shamari Brooks to do a little recruiting for us. Jordan Kelley is a monster and could probably come in and start for 4yrs at TU. He’ll be lucky to see the field at OU by the start of his Jr season. Time to start flipping kids.

Southmoore had a bunch of kids quit the year, including Casey Thompson who transferred to Newcastle. Casey is Charles Thompson's son and is committed to Texas.

The Stoops brothers are pretty good receivers for North. Is Tulsa in on either of these guys?

Southmoore had a bunch of kids quit the year, including Casey Thompson who transferred to Newcastle. Casey is Charles Thompson's son and is committed to Texas.

The Stoops brothers are pretty good receivers for North. Is Tulsa in on either of these guys?
I think Drake had an offer. Drake has a bunch of offers including Air Force. He’s a scrappy one at the WR. There’s also speculation one or both will end up at Northwestern as Bob and momma Stoops just bought a townhome in Chicago (maybe on the north side near the NW campus).

Rams win 60-28

I was concerned about this game as Union was behind until the 3rd Q before pulling away. Tonight, Norman put together a couple of early drives that Owasso couldn't figure out.

BB has this team playing at a high level and the win tonight essentially ensures Union and Owasso will be on separate sides of the playoff bracket.

Reactions: jesterondirt
I was concerned about this game as Union was behind until the 3rd Q before pulling away. Tonight, Norman put together a couple of early drives that Owasso couldn't figure out.

BB has this team playing at a high level and the win tonight essentially ensures Union and Owasso will be on separate sides of the playoff bracket.
Union vs. Owasso in HA Chapman for the gold ball?

Union vs. Owasso in HA Chapman for the gold ball?

There's a lot of ball to be played between now and then but that's the expected location if both teams make it that far. In the unlikely event that a west side school were to make the finals, the game would be played in the OKC area.

There's a lot of ball to be played between now and then but that's the expected location if both teams make it that far. In the unlikely event that a west side school were to make the finals, the game would be played in the OKC area.
Whys that? Because Union vs. NN was here last year?

Also, what's the estimated date of the Championship?

I almost wanna call out WD for being a traitor. Lol. We used to ride our bicycles around the Jenks airport when we were little and now he’s a full blood Owassowan

LOL!
It's hard man!
I remember doing that a ton and running from the stadium, around the airport, and back for team off season football conditioning.

I'm always torn but have to pull for them since my son has played Owasso football for 6 years. If he keeps playing when he gets to HS I'll still have to pull for Owasso.

I still pull for Jenks... except vs Owasso.
And actually, I was hoping Jenks would get Trimble one more title in his last season and didn't think Owasso would be this good, this quick.

I think Drake had an offer. Drake has a bunch of offers including Air Force. He’s a scrappy one at the WR. There’s also speculation one or both will end up at Northwestern as Bob and momma Stoops just bought a townhome in Chicago (maybe on the north side near the NW campus).

I saw that Drake picked up a offer from Memphis over the weekend.

I hope I don't get criticized again for posting a portion of a Tulsa World article, but the phrase "Death was imminent" really got my attention. I'm glad this young man is doing better.

A Tuesday practice session usually is a routine exercise for high school football teams, but there was nothing routine about what transpired this week on the Union-Tuttle Stadium turf.

For the first time since he sustained a brain injury on Sept. 29, after having played brilliantly during Union’s double-overtime triumph over Owasso, Keviyon Cooper savored a touching reunion with his Redskins teammates.

“It feels like I’m back at home out here,” said Cooper, a 17-year-old Union High School senior who has excelled both as a football running back and a state-champion sprinter for the Redskins track team.

Within minutes of the conclusion of the 44-41 Union victory over Owasso, as Redskins coach Kirk Fridrich was still on the field for an interview session with media members, he was approached by an assistant coach who said, “Something is up with Keviyon. You need to come.”

The response of Union head athletic trainer Dan Newman, Fridrich said, was “incredible.”

“You practice with emergency plans,” Newman said, “but I’ve been in athletic training for over 20 years and this was something I’d never seen and may never see again. My staff and our medical staff were in place.”

If not for the immediate, effective reaction of medical personnel at the stadium and at St. Francis Hospital, Newman said, “death was imminent.”

A week later, Union officials reported that Cooper had undergone successful brain surgery.

“This situation came out of nowhere,” said Shirley Cooper, Keviyon’s mother. “He had no history of anything that would lead to this. He’s been a healthy kid his whole life, and then this happens.”

Because of vision issues that eventually will be corrected, Cooper is wearing a patch over his right eye.

“Just to see Keviyon up now and here today — it’s very gratifying,” Newman said. “He continues to get better every day.”

I hope I don't get criticized again for posting a portion of a Tulsa World article, but the phrase "Death was imminent" really got my attention. I'm glad this young man is doing better.

A Tuesday practice session usually is a routine exercise for high school football teams, but there was nothing routine about what transpired this week on the Union-Tuttle Stadium turf.

For the first time since he sustained a brain injury on Sept. 29, after having played brilliantly during Union’s double-overtime triumph over Owasso, Keviyon Cooper savored a touching reunion with his Redskins teammates.

“It feels like I’m back at home out here,” said Cooper, a 17-year-old Union High School senior who has excelled both as a football running back and a state-champion sprinter for the Redskins track team.

Within minutes of the conclusion of the 44-41 Union victory over Owasso, as Redskins coach Kirk Fridrich was still on the field for an interview session with media members, he was approached by an assistant coach who said, “Something is up with Keviyon. You need to come.”

The response of Union head athletic trainer Dan Newman, Fridrich said, was “incredible.”

“You practice with emergency plans,” Newman said, “but I’ve been in athletic training for over 20 years and this was something I’d never seen and may never see again. My staff and our medical staff were in place.”

If not for the immediate, effective reaction of medical personnel at the stadium and at St. Francis Hospital, Newman said, “death was imminent.”

A week later, Union officials reported that Cooper had undergone successful brain surgery.

“This situation came out of nowhere,” said Shirley Cooper, Keviyon’s mother. “He had no history of anything that would lead to this. He’s been a healthy kid his whole life, and then this happens.”

Because of vision issues that eventually will be corrected, Cooper is wearing a patch over his right eye.

“Just to see Keviyon up now and here today — it’s very gratifying,” Newman said. “He continues to get better every day.”
I saw that article as it has been posted and retweeted a lot. It was well done and it shows how quickly things can go bad when you’re talking about internal head injuries. Glad he is OK. Feel bad for him not being able to finish out his senior season. He was a gritty RB for Union and could grind out the tough yards.

Yea, that was great to read and well done!
I feel bad for the kid but damn happy he alive to feel bad for.

Weekly 6A-1 Roundup: The area Big 4 all picked up lopsided wind this week and have each earned a home playoff game in 2 weeks. Union and Jenks get the top seeds with BA and Owasso as the 2 seeds. Opponents to be determined after week 10 games.

If the 4 all win, the semifinals will be Union/BA and Jenks/Owasso at neutral sites. If any Westside teams happen to advance, their semifinal games will be held in the OKC area per Ossaa rule.

It’s actually a second row house/townhome neighboring the first... they are going to knock walls out and make 1 big Home.

It's playoff time.

Rams lead 7-0 at the half over a tough Westmoore team. BA, Jenks and Union are also winning their games.

Clean sweep for the area Big 4 tonight. BA/Union & Owasso/Jenks next weekend at neutral sites.

Maybe Chapman on Friday night/Saturday afternoon?

Wonder what the west schools complaints will be this time? Will OSSAA just make one division of 8 teams where Union/BA/Owasso/Jenks make up the east district, Edmond North, Westmoore, Southmoore, and Norman North make up the west and the winner of each district plays in the state championship. This would guarantee a west participant every year which is what they want.

It is so clear that the east schools and youth programs have found a development program that works from the 3rd grade up. Either that or someone on the west will sue the east school districts and the Ok State Board of Ed compelling the east schools to split by getting some law passed requiring districts to provide a 2nd HS once daily average enrollment grows greater than 3K (I would not be surprised if this is a real thing soon actually).

I am glad that they figured out a way to get a double header at Chapman for the semis. Disappointed they aren't true back to back games (say a 4:00pm and an 8:00pm kick). But I guess TU women's bball has a game that day at like 3pm and they are claiming they need to keep the parking open for that game...for all 300 people who may go.

Wonder what the west schools complaints will be this time? Will OSSAA just make one division of 8 teams where Union/BA/Owasso/Jenks make up the east district, Edmond North, Westmoore, Southmoore, and Norman North make up the west and the winner of each district plays in the state championship. This would guarantee a west participant every year which is what they want.

It is so clear that the east schools and youth programs have found a development program that works from the 3rd grade up. Either that or someone on the west will sue the east school districts and the Ok State Board of Ed compelling the east schools to split by getting some law passed requiring districts to provide a 2nd HS once daily average enrollment grows greater than 3K (I would not be surprised if this is a real thing soon actually).

I am glad that they figured out a way to get a double header at Chapman for the semis. Disappointed they aren't true back to back games (say a 4:00pm and an 8:00pm kick). But I guess TU women's bball has a game that day at like 3pm and they are claiming they need to keep the parking open for that game...for all 300 people who may go.

4 & 8 wouldn't give them enough time to clear the stadium and start taking tickets for the 2nd game. Fans will start arriving an hour or more early for GA seating.

In 4A action, Blanchard ends Wagoner's 48 game win streak on a safety for intentional grounding from the end zone. Blanchard addd a late pick six and wins 23-14.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Holy crap! Wow!
I bet that was a damn depressing and angry lockeroom to be in or crazy ass happy depending on which one you were in.
Nikia got injured last week and didn't play last night. Not often is one person that big of a difference maker on a team, but it was last night.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT