ADVERTISEMENT

Blankenship can coach some prep ball

Yep. Have to wonder if Trimble's health is affecting Jenks. Haven't seen the Trojans dominated like this is years.

I don't think this years Jenks team is as talented as teams he has had in the past... Owasso has a lot of really good underclassmen on last years team. Blank is an excellent h.s. coach and Owasso is loaded this season.

s

I'd like to see a fill in the blank exam of the Top 50 sports reporters that have covered the AAC on a weekly basis to the following question: Name the only coach in the last 40 years who won a conference championship and finished in the Top 25 at Tulsa. I'm guessing maybe 5% get the answer right.

BB was not a good college head coach and lacked some essential skills you look for in someone to lead a college program that you don't necessarily need to be effective at the pro and high school level, but that doesn't mean he didn't deliver.

Unlike some of the other jokers and snake oil salesmen we've had come through, BB is an alum. He is #loyalalwaystrue. So I'll be the same to him. He deserved a chance. He got his chance. He made the best of it. It was time to move on. I hope he is happy at Owasso and not just grasping at regaining a past glory.

I'd like to see a fill in the blank exam of the Top 50 sports reporters that have covered the AAC on a weekly basis to the following question: Name the only coach in the last 40 years who won a conference championship and finished in the Top 25 at Tulsa. I'm guessing maybe 5% get the answer right.

BB was not a good college head coach and lacked some essential skills you look for in someone to lead a college program that you don't necessarily need to be effective at the pro and high school level, but that doesn't mean he didn't deliver.

Unlike some of the other jokers and snake oil salesmen we've had come through, BB is an alum. He is #loyalalwaystrue. So I'll be the same to him. He deserved a chance. He got his chance. He made the best of it. It was time to move on. I hope he is happy at Owasso and not just grasping at regaining a past glory.

Bill is a good man and an alumn.. he was the wrong man for the job. Unless you wanted the cheapest most popular option.

A chimpanzee could have coached that team to the championship.

What I don't get is the bitterness he has shown toward TU in the media and in private. He ALWAYS brings up that he was the lowest paid coach in the AAC. I mean, rightfully so, right?

He NEVER seems to accept some humility and admit it was a bad idea to bring his son back to fix the offense. That team turned out to have some talent, but as Huffy noted above, the offense was a disaster. A real coordinator would have been able to use Dane and those receivers and running backs.

He's a good man and I actually thought did as good of a coaching job years one and two as anyone we've had. That team had talent, but he didn't lose in bone headed ways that Graham always found. He just won. Those were good years. I wish he could accept that and move on.

It's weird to have him coaching in the area. It's like he's trying to make a statement. And I won't say what else I think about it, other than to wish him well.

This area is home for BB. Nothing weird about doing what you love to do in an area that your familiar with and reconnecting with his old friends in the coaching ranks. The fact that this is home is why he was a TU player first. Good man, and good for him and the kids at Owasso.

Reactions: TULSARISING
That's not what's weird. That said, how many times do you have a former D1 head coach coaching a high school team in the same metropolitan area with a few years of being fired? That's not normal. It has to affect our recruiting.

That interview he did was a big mistake. Not a good look at all. I'd be willing to bet that he'll try to be helpful in recruiting though.

One thing he's done is energize the community. There was an excitement in the air that I've not felt before, and I've been going to the games for quite some time. That's good enough for me. Fans showed up that hadn't gone to a game in years.

Next week we're off to Bartlesville. I hope their rickety visitor bleachers will hold the crowd safely. Anyone who has been there will know what I mean.

BB has instilled an entirely new mentality into the players.
The old coach had lost his fire and his players felt it.

Owasso executed great last night. Well enough that their mistakes were quickly overcome.
That said, I'm not sure how much talent Jenks has compared to previous years which is likely why OKPreps said Union was the most talented, with Owasso a close second, and Jenks third.

BB can coach HS talent and make the most of them and if can get them up for the B-Ville game, it's going to be a fun season and the game @ Union is going to be one to see. I say that as these kids only won 7 games in the previous two years so I'm not sure how they will react going into B-Ville after this huge win even though B-Ville was one of their W's last year.

Another interesting note, my buddy who has worked Jenks games for 15 years said that last night was biggest crowd he had ever seen there.

I heard over his radio, in the 1st quarter with 3 ticket lines still 60-70 yards long, that they were switching to SRO tickets.

I might actually care about Bruin football next week for the first time in 10 years ...

BB is back in Oklahoma because the Arkansas school wouldn't let him hire his kids.

I might actually care about Bruin football next week for the first time in 10 years ...

Rams up 42-0 at the Half. This is like playing an FCS team. It's fun for awhile but does nothing to get you ready for next week.

The train keeps rollin'. Rams 49 BA 27. Record crowd of 11,600 at Owasso Stadium. Larger than what Jenks-Union drew the night before.

Hmmm. That's fine and dandy. Good for you.

The way you talk about him makes it seem like you feel he was slighted by TU. I don't think too many people on this board really care about him and his high school career now. We know, for the millionth time, that he's a great high school coach.

The way you talk about him makes it seem like you feel he was slighted by TU.

Hmmm, I looked back through this thread and I can't find where I mentioned TU even once. The thread has several replies and over a thousand views so it doesn't seem like nobody cares. Maybe it's just you.

There are so few posters on the board these days that we really shouldn't squabble among ourselves. It looks like you're new here so I'll just let it go.

I'm not new at all. I just changed my poster name. I've been on the board since around 2003 or so.

He's a great high school coach.

I got an up close look at the staff working with the kids during the game last week. They were using a somewhat sophisticated setup with I-pads and TV monitors to show the players the plays from the previous series as soon as they came off the field. The had a separate setup for lineman and backs/skills for both offense and defense. It was pretty impressive. I had no idea that this level of technology was in place at high school games.

Last edited:
Welcome back, TUpatsfan. This board could use some more vitrol and participation from people that care.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I hate knocking Blankenship too hard. It was unfortunate that he wasn't successful. He loves TU and the City of Tulsa. It sucks how it worked out for TU. If he had been successful, it could have been a very beautiful thing for all parties. I wish him all the best in his future endeavors. The past is behind us. Stop crying and move forward.

The reason I like clowning on Billy Boy is the way he acted behind the scenes at TU and has pretty much bashed them as well. When he was let go it wasn't pretty and especially the way he acted.

Thanks Goldfan, it feels good to be back within the board nerdery.

Reactions: HuffyCane
The reason I like clowning on Billy Boy is the way he acted behind the scenes at TU and has pretty much bashed them as well. When he was let go it wasn't pretty and especially the way he acted.

Thanks Goldfan, it feels good to be back within the board nerdery.
I still remember seeing him crying at his last press conference. As far as I know, Blankenship really loved TU. He didn't love having a cruddy budget for his staff, and he wasn't a perfect coach by any means, but he really loved TU. That's good enough for me to have no hostility towards him.

I still remember seeing him crying at his last press conference. As far as I know, Blankenship really loved TU. He didn't love having a cruddy budget for his staff, and he wasn't a perfect coach by any means, but he really loved TU. That's good enough for me to have no hostility towards him.

There was quite a bit more that went on behind the scenes with him... I don't hate the man at all, but he's not the saint everyone makes him out to be. He ultimately made his bed with several choices HE made, not the university. When he started dragging TU through the mud in community circles and then publically, I lost respect for him.

That being said, he's where he belongs. He's a good high school coach and he's doing a great job at owasso. I wish him well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT