ADVERTISEMENT

AAC & Other Scores

Watched a little of Milkman's go go offense as OC of UNLV.

Playing a tight and relatively high scoring game w/ Vandy. 40-37 victory.

UNLV had a drive for a td, then let Vandy drive to tie it up at 37. Then UNLV's quarterback got intercepted and Vandy missed a 24 yd field goal! Brennan's QB got a long pass with 9s left to the 20, and they kicked a field goal to win it. Lot of action in a very short period of time.(Less than 5 mins of clock.) Reminded me of us and Malzahn.

BYU beats Arkansas at home. It’s tough to convey how bad this 3-0 BYU team is. Arkansas is worse. I can’t decide who is more inept pokes or hogs. Like it’s legitimately tough to decide. Arkansas playing three or four players from NE Oklahoma who could have and probably should have signed with TU, but for the Monty recruiting strategy.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Pokes and it’s not close.
The portal has been a boon for some coaches. It’s led to a disaster of terrible football at a lot of places. OSU being a good example.

Gundy better not stand up at a podium and scream “Come after me!” Again. Because they will.

Reactions: TU 1978
The portal has been a boon for some coaches. It’s led to a disaster of terrible football at a lot of places. OSU being a good example.

Gundy better not stand up at a podium and scream “Come after me!” Again. Because they will.
It's been a long time since Gundy was sacked. "Come after me!" Would probably lead to two sacks, on the job and on the ground. On the job is probably coming no matter what he says.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Portal has been a negative for OSU but the primary problem for Gundy is subpar recruiting and retention of poor assistants. Holder and Boone were always there to hold his feet to the fire. For him to make changes when they were necessary. Both are now gone. Gundy answers to no one. He does what he wants. It’s a recipee for disaster.

Portal losses which hurt were Ford, Cobb and Sanders. Portal gains were Strebbling Others were meaningless either way.

I'm certainly not saying Monty couldn't identify kids with potential. I think he was clearly quite good at that aspect of recruiting, but there was no development of those kids, and he was flat out lazy when he realized his time was up.

I'm certainly not saying Monty couldn't identify kids with potential. I think he was clearly quite good at that aspect of recruiting, but there was no development of those kids, and he was flat out lazy when he realized his time was up.
Well they did develop but you are probably right that is thanks to the training and nutrition people.

Fortunately I think they are still around.

Colorado State is outperforming Colorado at the moment
That game was a little crazy and Colorado State was out to hurt Colorado, legally and not so legally. Colorado talks too much gas and have taken on Prime's attitude. They've already morphed into that team that thinks they should win just by walking on the field. They're not that good yet.

BYU beats Arkansas at home. It’s tough to convey how bad this 3-0 BYU team is. Arkansas is worse. I can’t decide who is more inept pokes or hogs. Like it’s legitimately tough to decide. Arkansas playing three or four players from NE Oklahoma who could have and probably should have signed with TU, but for the Monty recruiting strategy.
Someone mentioned this game in conversation yesterday and I was like, "Yeah Arkansas lost to a pretty bad BYU team." And they're like, they're 3-0. And? Have you watched them play?

The Big XII as a whole is going to be pretty bad this year. Texas is my clear favorite at this point but maybe they're more of a fluke because 'Bama isn't anything special this season. TCU is going to be there again...I think if they had a do over vs Colorado, they'd win that game. OU is next...but mostly because the rest of the conference is that bad. Hope UC, UCF, and Houston all enjoy their money in the bank because winning enough games to make a bowl is going to be tough for them.

As for the rest of the country....I'm not sure there is a team I'd label as a clear cut favorite to win the CFP and at this point I am envisioning that the process to select the 4 might be the toughest since it came about. I haven't seen any great teams. I've seen stretches of good play (Texas vs Bama; Florida State) but all the top teams seem to struggle against bad opponents. Florida State had a dog fight with Boston College; Texas struggled with Wyoming this week, Michigan has not been consistent on offense, even Georgia struggled for a half against South Carolina; and Ohio State can't settle on a QB. Notre Dame might be good but they haven't played anyone worth a damn. Same with USC...and no one has seen them play period b/c their games are either an 11pm east coast kick, or stuck on some backwater cable channel on the west coast gets.

Washington might be the only team that has played close to its very best each time out.

AAC: It's wide open honestly. Tulane hasn't looked good. SMU is OK at best. And no one else in the conference has been great. Honestly, if Army were in the conference this year they might be the best team. They absolutely ran over UTSA last weekend. Memphis looked good against Navy but I wouldn't trust their defense to hold up nor would I expect Henigan to really continue to put up those numbers. And the best QB in the conference might actually play at Rice. That kid is slinging it.

Someone mentioned this game in conversation yesterday and I was like, "Yeah Arkansas lost to a pretty bad BYU team." And they're like, they're 3-0. And? Have you watched them play?

The Big XII as a whole is going to be pretty bad this year. Texas is my clear favorite at this point but maybe they're more of a fluke because 'Bama isn't anything special this season. TCU is going to be there again...I think if they had a do over vs Colorado, they'd win that game. OU is next...but mostly because the rest of the conference is that bad. Hope UC, UCF, and Houston all enjoy their money in the bank because winning enough games to make a bowl is going to be tough for them.

As for the rest of the country....I'm not sure there is a team I'd label as a clear cut favorite to win the CFP and at this point I am envisioning that the process to select the 4 might be the toughest since it came about. I haven't seen any great teams. I've seen stretches of good play (Texas vs Bama; Florida State) but all the top teams seem to struggle against bad opponents. Florida State had a dog fight with Boston College; Texas struggled with Wyoming this week, Michigan has not been consistent on offense, even Georgia struggled for a half against South Carolina; and Ohio State can't settle on a QB. Notre Dame might be good but they haven't played anyone worth a damn. Same with USC...and no one has seen them play period b/c their games are either an 11pm east coast kick, or stuck on some backwater cable channel on the west coast gets.

Washington might be the only team that has played close to its very best each time out.

AAC: It's wide open honestly. Tulane hasn't looked good. SMU is OK at best. And no one else in the conference has been great. Honestly, if Army were in the conference this year they might be the best team. They absolutely ran over UTSA last weekend. Memphis looked good against Navy but I wouldn't trust their defense to hold up nor would I expect Henigan to really continue to put up those numbers. And the best QB in the conference might actually play at Rice. That kid is slinging it.
UTSA's QB was out against Army...which matters a ton. He's a stud.

Well they did develop but you are probably right that is thanks to the training and nutrition people.

Fortunately I think they are still around.
Some certainly are, but were missing some key components due to his last two seasons.

It’s Pony’s year.

We need to get active in the portal.
I think there are stumbling blocks for Pony to get over, but 100% agree we need to be very active and fill some roster gaps in the portal.

I’m reliably told that a few of the UCF posters over on their pay board are hand wringing over the idea that Gundy might get replaced with GJ Kinne and they will have another Tulsa in the Big 12 to deal with. The PTSD in that program is real.

I’m reliably told that a few of the UCF posters over on their pay board are hand wringing over the idea that Gundy might get replaced with GJ Kinne and they will have another Tulsa in the Big 12 to deal with. The PTSD in that program is real.
Because you know, the guy who taught Kinne this offense isn't their current head coach... UCF might want to think about how to get people to their "some assembly required" stadium without bribes and ticket giveaways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT