ADVERTISEMENT

6A-I State Championship

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
Owasso vs. Jenks, December 7th at....................

UCO stadium in Edmond, Oklahoma.

This is so dumb. I thought they only made us travel out there (in an odd number year) when a western team was in the finals? Did I misinterpret how that worked?

They’re trying something new this year just to irritate us. I went and watched the 2nd half of the game tonight, and if half the fans show up at Edmond we won’t fit in the visitors bleachers at UCO.

They thought the west side had a chance

They did think that but, it was never realistic.
The Mustang game vs Owasso gave them some hope but, Jenks got their act together and surprisingly demolished them them Moore took out Edmond Santa Fe and it was all over.
Wagoner got an upset too so, Stillwater is the west’s only hope above 3A.
Stillwater vs Bixby could be a great game but, Bixby would give Owasso a run for their money this year.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TUBixby
They did think that but, it was never realistic.
The Mustang game vs Owasso gave them some hope but, Jenks got their act together and surprisingly demolished them them Moore took out Edmond Santa Fe and it was all over.
Wagoner got an upset too so, Stillwater is the west’s only hope above 3A.
Stillwater vs Bixby could be a great game but, Bixby would give Owasso a run for their money this year.

At some point Bixby is going to regret their push for two 6A classifications. I agree that they could win this year and probably last year as well. Growth patterns might get them to 6A-1 in another decade but they are far enough down on the list that it will take at least that long.

This allows the OSSAA officials to sleep in their own beds and likely makes coordination of the event much easier on their end. I’d get it if we had a domed stadium like Jerry’s World to play all of the games, but we don’t. The basketball tournament is what pays the bills for OSSAA if you read the financial reports, so there likely isn’t a huge concern about a potentially smaller gate.

At some point Bixby is going to regret their push for two 6A classifications. I agree that they could win this year and probably last year as well. Growth patterns might get them to 6A-1 in another decade but they are far enough down on the list that it will take at least that long.

There is a very good chance that Bixby will be 6A-1 as early as next year. Right now they are the largest 6A-2 school, and only 26 students below the smallest 6A-1.

Final numbers for next year are supposed to be out in January.

There is a very good chance that Bixby will be 6A-1 as early as next year. Right now they are the largest 6A-2 school, and only 26 students below the smallest 6A-1.

Final numbers for next year are supposed to be out in January.

Not according to the OSSAA website. They are the fourth largest 6A-2 school.

Not according to the OSSAA website. They are the fourth largest 6A-2 school.

You may be looking at the 2018 ADM.

As of now, the 2019 totals show:

16. Southmoore 1811
17. Bixby 1785

These number aren’t final and could change before the districts are set in January.

I talked to a Bixby coach this past week. They think it’s 50/50 as it currently stands. They also believe they currently line up favorably against anyone in the state.

My kids go to Bixby and I think Loren has killed it. But if I’m them I hope things stand pat and they remain in 6a-2. Bixby reminds me a lot of Union 25 years ago. They are exploding.

They match up well with anyone this year but I feel like this is that 1 in 5 year talent groups that sprinkles in a few elite kids and it’s a GameChanger. You don’t have those kids every year. It’s going to be tougher year in and year out to run the gamut of Union, Jenks, BA and Owasso. It’s murderers row. I believe once they cross over they will be a solid team in the top half of the division but it will turn into once every few years they can challenge to make deep runs. My .02

Reactions: HuffyCane
My nephew played ball at Bixby back in...well, he’s over 50 now so I’m not sure.

The numbers will be worked out by January. The issue was the redistricting of the OKC schools, so they were holding for the final numbers from the fall. It'll be interesting to say the least.

My kids go to Bixby and I think Loren has killed it. But if I’m them I hope things stand pat and they remain in 6a-2. Bixby reminds me a lot of Union 25 years ago. They are exploding.

They match up well with anyone this year but I feel like this is that 1 in 5 year talent groups that sprinkles in a few elite kids and it’s a GameChanger. You don’t have those kids every year. It’s going to be tougher year in and year out to run the gamut of Union, Jenks, BA and Owasso. It’s murderers row. I believe once they cross over they will be a solid team in the top half of the division but it will turn into once every few years they can challenge to make deep runs. My .02

Bixby could do what Carl Albert does and quit letting new kids in unless they play sports really well...

Reactions: rusty-c
This allows the OSSAA officials to sleep in their own beds and likely makes coordination of the event much easier on their end. I’d get it if we had a domed stadium like Jerry’s World to play all of the games, but we don’t. The basketball tournament is what pays the bills for OSSAA if you read the financial reports, so there likely isn’t a huge concern about a potentially smaller gate.
They will maybe get 8k in Edmond. Play at Skelly and they’re looking at 20k easily. At $8 a ticket, somewhere in the $96k range easily. No small pittance. Dumb decision by OSSAA.

The next action for the west to get a chance to compete is for some legislator from that side of the state to propose a law that a district has to build a new high school once the avg. daily enrollment exceeds 3k. I believe this would split BA, Jenks, and Union.

They will maybe get 8k in Edmond. Play at Skelly and they’re looking at 20k easily. At $8 a ticket, somewhere in the $96k range easily. No small pittance. Dumb decision by OSSAA.

The biggest problem is the the visitors side only holds about 1200 at UCO. Put a 300 piece pep band in place and that doesn’t leave much room for the fan base.

Owasso has about 5,000 at the game in Jenks on Saturday and are expecting more in Edmond if the weather is favorable.

High schools fans don’t like sitting on the opposing side but that may be the only option. I’m sure the OSSAA is only concerned with selling their $7 tickets then the rest will have to just work itself out.

I know Im not.. my sons school has to go through that machine every year.. no way that normal cycles allow a 5A school to field state championship quality teams in EVERY sport every year...
Same way BTW did it for years prior to the explosion of the suburban districts around Tulsa.

Not that it would in anyway change CA, etc. but, I still am of the belief that the private schools should have their own state championship bracket.

Same way BTW did it for years prior to the explosion of the suburban districts around Tulsa.

Not that it would in anyway change CA, etc. but, I still am of the belief that the private schools should have their own state championship bracket.

Full agreement on that one.. mcguinness and kelly have no business in the ossaa brackets.. we played kelly last weekend in the quarters and the funding and recruiting advantages were on full display.

Full agreement on that one.. mcguinness and kelly have no business in the ossaa brackets.. we played kelly last weekend in the quarters and the funding and recruiting advantages were on full display.
But aren't the private schools forced to play up at least one classification if not 2?

I've long been an opponent of singling out the private schools. The ones in Oklahoma don't exist for the purpose of winning every state championship. Their limited enrollment is a product of controlling class size and quality of education, not to win a state championship at a small school category. Parents send their kids to those schools because they don't trust the public school system to educate them properly or keep their kids safe.I'm pretty sure it's the same in OKC. Everyone acts like Cascia Hall, Bishop Kelly, McGuiness, etc. are mini IMG Academies and they're not. Each of those schools may get 1-2 players who would not attend those schools if it weren't for a scholarship, certainly not enough to make the kind of difference everyone seems to imply. Everyone was always pissed that you'd have kids moving out of Tulsa Public Schools into Jenks and Union years ago and thinking something was shady. Hasn't anyone noticed the trend of people moving out of Tulsa into the'burbs and suburban districts? Heck, to go to Jenks you don't even have to move out of Tulsa. There are plenty of kids who go to Jenks schools who live in a pretty urban and sketchy part of Tulsa. And there are some pretty sketchy parts of east Tulsa that feed into Union schools...so it's not hard for these families, if they want to, to get their kids into those districts without it being completely nefarious.

Agree. I don’t see the likes of BK having any more funding or recruiting advantages than say Bixby, Jenks, etc.. I would probably argue BK has less of an advantage due to the cost to attend the school. Most parents move into these districts due to the quality of the schools not athletics. With highly motivated parents (and kids) along with great facilities and coaching the result is very good athletics.

Agree. I don’t see the likes of BK having any more funding or recruiting advantages than say Bixby, Jenks, etc.. I would probably argue BK has less of an advantage due to the cost to attend the school.
Bishop Kelley can't offer and pass bond issues like the public school districts. Pay attention the next time a bond is offered in Owasso, BA, Jenks, Bixby or Union. They always pass with huge numbers. Smaller towns and districts simply don't have that leverage. Catoosa failed to pass a bond earlier this month. 800 people turned out to vote and it lost by about 80 votes. Funding would have been for a new elementary school to consolidate its campuses and locations, some new buses, etc. The big 5 on the east side ALWAYS pass those votes and the people putting forth the bond issues are very clever in tying athletic facilities and equipment in to classroom upgrades, buses, books, etc. Union's upgrade to Tuttle Stadium is going to be $22.5 million. Union admin sold it to the public as a 40-yr investment (I think that's the current age of the facility without a major renovation or facelift). But that $22.5M was part of a bond issue that covered like $60-80M in other projects. I know most of the elementary schools got new HVAC systems and air handlers. New security doors and cameras. Buses. Union provides all kids entering 9th grade with a brand new laptop to be used while they are there.

Private schools aren't getting that same type of support. I'm sure those kids and their parents are laying out good money to both attend the school and play a sport.

Reactions: malone15
side note - I'm hearing that Friday games may be rescheduled to Saturday due to the possible thunderstorm with lightning, hail and even (eek) possible tornadoes. That creates problems since no one wants to play vs. Bedlam. And, I think the Saturday schedule is full at UCO, so there is no possibility of moving Friday games to Saturday at that venue.

side note - I'm hearing that Friday games may be rescheduled to Saturday due to the possible thunderstorm with lightning, hail and even (eek) possible tornadoes. That creates problems since no one wants to play vs. Bedlam. And, I think the Saturday schedule is full at UCO, so there is no possibility of moving Friday games to Saturday at that venue.
Then play it at Chapman.

The games at UCO are next weekend, not this weekend.

The biggest problem is the the visitors side only holds about 1200 at UCO. Put a 300 piece pep band in place and that doesn’t leave much room for the fan base.

Owasso has about 5,000 at the game in Jenks on Saturday and are expecting more in Edmond if the weather is favorable.

High schools fans don’t like sitting on the opposing side but that may be the only option. I’m sure the OSSAA is only concerned with selling their $7 tickets then the rest will have to just work itself out.

Owasso fans had to sit on the visitors side at TU as they loosely filled up the home side for their last Championship game.

Owasso fans had to sit on the visitors side at TU as they loosely filled up the home side for their last Championship game.

There’s always a risk when mixing the crowd when people’s kids are involved. It just takes one person to say something, another overhears and thinks it’s directed at their child then all hell breaks loose.

I’ve coached basketball in Owasso for the past 16 years, and I’m always glad I’m on the bench and not in the crowd. And it always seems that disputes arise between parents because someone is sitting in the wrong section.

Bishop Kelley can't offer and pass bond issues like the public school districts. Pay attention the next time a bond is offered in Owasso, BA, Jenks, Bixby or Union. They always pass with huge numbers. Smaller towns and districts simply don't have that leverage. Catoosa failed to pass a bond earlier this month. 800 people turned out to vote and it lost by about 80 votes. Funding would have been for a new elementary school to consolidate its campuses and locations, some new buses, etc. The big 5 on the east side ALWAYS pass those votes and the people putting forth the bond issues are very clever in tying athletic facilities and equipment in to classroom upgrades, buses, books, etc. Union's upgrade to Tuttle Stadium is going to be $22.5 million. Union admin sold it to the public as a 40-yr investment (I think that's the current age of the facility without a major renovation or facelift). But that $22.5M was part of a bond issue that covered like $60-80M in other projects. I know most of the elementary schools got new HVAC systems and air handlers. New security doors and cameras. Buses. Union provides all kids entering 9th grade with a brand new laptop to be used while they are there.

Private schools aren't getting that same type of support. I'm sure those kids and their parents are laying out good money to both attend the school and play a sport.
Private schools can use loans to support construction, it's not an issue at all. The school where we were (w/ less than 300 students) did a $22m construction project half funded by parent donations (let that sink in, $10m in donations on top of regular tuition and giving at a school of 200 families - on a per student that's the equivalent of $585,000,000 of construction by Union) and half by a mortgage. The mortgage can be secured by the property ($$$) and tuition so they're very low risk and have interest like a bond. Our private school of 200 families raised a lot more in parent donations (on top of tuition) than our son's current 2000 student middle school. Think of what you would donate and add a couple zeros, they're doing ok.

Reactions: noble cane
But aren't the private schools forced to play up at least one classification if not 2?

I've long been an opponent of singling out the private schools. The ones in Oklahoma don't exist for the purpose of winning every state championship. Their limited enrollment is a product of controlling class size and quality of education, not to win a state championship at a small school category. Parents send their kids to those schools because they don't trust the public school system to educate them properly or keep their kids safe.I'm pretty sure it's the same in OKC. Everyone acts like Cascia Hall, Bishop Kelly, McGuiness, etc. are mini IMG Academies and they're not. Each of those schools may get 1-2 players who would not attend those schools if it weren't for a scholarship, certainly not enough to make the kind of difference everyone seems to imply. Everyone was always pissed that you'd have kids moving out of Tulsa Public Schools into Jenks and Union years ago and thinking something was shady. Hasn't anyone noticed the trend of people moving out of Tulsa into the'burbs and suburban districts? Heck, to go to Jenks you don't even have to move out of Tulsa. There are plenty of kids who go to Jenks schools who live in a pretty urban and sketchy part of Tulsa. And there are some pretty sketchy parts of east Tulsa that feed into Union schools...so it's not hard for these families, if they want to, to get their kids into those districts without it being completely nefarious.
In Nevada the 800 pound gorilla of HS sports is Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas. In Reno it’s Bishop Manogue. Private schools do seem to have a competitive advantage in HS sports.

Reactions: noble cane
In Nevada the 800 pound gorilla of HS sports is Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas. In Reno it’s Bishop Manogue. Private schools do seem to have a competitive advantage in HS sports.
Bishop Gorman is a different best, sort of like the Mater Dei in California. Those giants are probably recruiting the best players to come there. Didn't Snoop Dogg's son go to Bishop Gorman?

Right but some of the smaller school classes do play playoff games this weekend as the playoffs for classes 3A and smaller have double the teams in them.

I know that, but none of the games this weekend are currently scheduled for Saturday so there won’t be conflicts if they have to reschedule for weather.

I know that, but none of the games this weekend are currently scheduled for Saturday so there won’t be conflicts if they have to reschedule for weather.
Right. I think the original poster was thinking that all of the state championship games in all classes were this weekend.

Right. I think the original poster was thinking that all of the state championship games in all classes were this weekend.

Edmond is going to get a decent economic impact from hosting that many championship games over 2 weekends.

The last time Owasso hosted a championship game was Adair vs Haskell a few years ago. You wouldn't think those small towns would bring the fans, but the highway into town was backed up over two miles in both directions about an hour before the game and just about every restaurant in town was packed.

It's a pretty big deal for some of these smaller communities.

Edmond is going to get a decent economic impact from hosting that many championship games over 2 weekends.

The last time Owasso hosted a championship game was Adair vs Haskell a few years ago. You wouldn't think those small towns would bring the fans, but the highway into town was backed up over two miles in both directions about an hour before the game and just about every restaurant in town was packed.

It's a pretty big deal for some of these smaller communities.
Because there is an extreme air of pride in small towns that reaches from the schools to every business. Most of the people in those towns all know each other by first name and know that person's family history. TX HS football is definitely like that in smaller classes. Everyone goes to every home game and every playoff game.

That small-town component is lost when you get to places like Union, Jenks, Owasso, and BA (and Bixby will probably follow suit soon). You get some people who go to the game for hometown pride, but you won't get as many to travel 2 hrs away. 20 minutes away you'll get a lot more fans without any familial or other connections to the team. If I were Jenks and Owasso, I'd start lobbying hard right now. Wonder what OSSAA could or would do if the 2 schools contracted with TU separately to play the game, split the gate receipts, and hired their own officials crew? It just seems stubborn and pig-headed to make 2 teams travel 2 hours away when there are a number of very suitable game sites 20 minutes away. The OSSAA acts as if they're not aware of the school funding issues districts in OK have been facing. Paying bus drivers for 5 hours vs 8 hours on a weekend is a big deal, bus fuel, pre-game and post-game meals (likely out of town), busing bands and cheerleaders that extra distance. It's a poor decision by the OSSAA to not have an alternate arrangement for these situations. It's not the east side schools fault the west side schools can never keep pace. Heck, Stillwater isn't even really a west side school.

Reactions: malone15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT