ADVERTISEMENT

3 conference wins total between 17, 18 and 19 seasons

Unacceptable. This football program has been around since the 1800s.
This is the first redneck backwater loser we've had as head coach. Toss him

Reactions: Original TULSAFAN
Yep. He was terrible. But I don't remember him answering every question every prompted with "uhh, welp, ya know..." Burns just sucked as a coach, he wasn't backwater
Odd response. How is he any more redneck or backwater than Graham. He's just lacking as a head coach.

Yep. He was terrible. But I don't remember him answering every question every prompted with "uhh, welp, ya know..." Burns just sucked as a coach, he wasn't backwater
He was just an a-hole that disenfranchised every HS coach in the area and burned the program too.

Reactions: TU_BLA
He was just an a-hole that disenfranchised every HS coach in the area and burned the program too.

How the hell does TU pick so poorly at the head coach position on multiple occasions?? It's inexcusable. Job searches are comprehensive, should be the same thing with football head coaches.

How the hell does TU pick so poorly at the head coach position on multiple occasions?? It's inexcusable. Job searches are comprehensive, should be the same thing with football head coaches.
Well, one answer could be the current proposed situation of TU underfunding sports, asking the coach to take a pay cut, then firing him if he doesn’t win. Not many solid takers in that scenario to step up and be the next contestant in our show.

Well, one answer could be the current proposed situation of TU underfunding sports, asking the coach to take a pay cut, then firing him if he doesn’t win. Not many solid takers in that scenario to step up and be the next contestant in our show.

I don't have any sympathy for prospective coaches who think 7 figures is a meager salary.

With the L column overflowing and recent events on campus proving that discipline amongst his players may actually be null-and-void --- I am starting to have a bit of an issue with the thought that he may be coach next year; an issue beyond one of W's and L's.

It’s beyond time to move on! We can not continue to pay $1M+ for this result. He’s been given every opportunity to improve, but it has not happened. I honestly believe that TU and Monty will be better off with fresh starts.

Taggart lasted 1.5 seasons and 9-12 record lol. Willie, at tulsa u get an extension for that.

Fail to tulsa u.

Reactions: loca2874
When there is an opening here, there will be many good candidates wanting this job. In a majority of situations, less than ideal situations are the reason for the opening.

A good coach is confident he can turn things around. If/when he does turn it around, money for the coach and the program will follow.

I don't have any sympathy for prospective coaches who think 7 figures is a meager salary.

The issue, IMO, is not that it is “meager” salary. I don’t think any coach would say or think that. They would however claim that there is a going rate that is set by the market. Not unlike any other industry. You could get someone on this board to take the job for $500k but it wouldn’t yield the results we want. The type of candidates that we would want to take this job are going to expect a commitment level commensurate to the teams we are asking him to beat every week. It makes sense. If we aren’t prepared to do that we just better cross our fingers and hope we get lucky.

The issue, IMO, is not that it is “meager” salary. I don’t think any coach would say or think that. They would however claim that there is a going rate that is set by the market. Not unlike any other industry. You could get someone on this board to take the job for $500k but it wouldn’t yield the results we want. The type of candidates that we would want to take this job are going to expect a commitment level commensurate to the teams we are asking him to beat every week. It makes sense. If we aren’t prepared to do that we just better cross our fingers and hope we get lucky.
And that’s what worries me, if the current plan is to use the new TV money to offset existing deficits or retire debt, that strikes me as naive. The market and our conference partners will expect far more. Not just in salaries but across the board. We don’t need to spend $180 million like Memphis, but a plan to spend $10 million strategically is badly needed. And we will have that type of money to spend and tge freedom to do it in a few years.

we are now ranked 97th out of 130, and sliding. the longer we wait, the more it will cost to dig our way out.

we are now ranked 97th out of 130, and sliding. the longer we wait, the more it will cost to dig our way out.

according to what? I think we are just looking at the results on the field. This team has more than enough to compete at the top of the AAC. Quoting some “ranking” on a useless poll doesn’t matter. We have the players, we just need a fresh start coaching wise ASAP.

Taggart lasted 1.5 seasons and 9-12 record lol. Willie, at tulsa u get an extension for that.

Fail to tulsa u.

You can't actually believe that the expectations and resources of Tulsa could ever compare to those at FSU...

FSU expects top-25 teams and national/ACC championship and based on their history, massive fan base, massive $$$ and recruits/facilities, they should expect that. Of course a 9-12 record will get you fired there.

TU will never be in a position where they can fire a coach for going 9-12.

3-9/2-10 for 3 years? That's a level of low that would get just about any HC fire anywhere. But TU probably can't afford to fire Montgomery, even though they might do it anyways. In that case, welcome new coach Gillespie.

Exactly. If TU won't pony up comparable to other conference foes (And based on Memphis' $180 million commitment, there's zero chance of that), TU won't be able to reach that upper level of the AAC or even recruit HC's who are capable of getting TU to that level. The reality is TU is far behind the new higher tier level of success in the AAC and that tier keeps getting pushed higher.

Everyone remembers UH, UM, UCF, Cinn, Navy, USF being top-25 teams recently. And now SMU & Tulane are having recent success that is getting national attention while no one remembers TU's brief top-25 appearance in the 2000's or 2 C-USA titles. TU's only "peer" in recent football success is leaving the conference (TU has 7 wins since 2017, while UConn has 6). Someone has to be the "Kansas" of every conference and in the AAC and it looks like that's going to be Tulsa. Firing Montgomery without a plan to match the investment of peer schools will just continue that.

Exactly. If TU won't pony up comparable to other conference foes (And based on Memphis' $180 million commitment, there's zero chance of that), TU won't be able to reach that upper level of the AAC or even recruit HC's who are capable of getting TU to that level. The reality is TU is far behind the new higher tier level of success in the AAC and that tier keeps getting pushed higher.

Everyone remembers UH, UM, UCF, Cinn, Navy, USF being top-25 teams recently. And now SMU & Tulane are having recent success that is getting national attention while no one remembers TU's brief top-25 appearance in the 2000's or 2 C-USA titles. TU's only "peer" in recent football success is leaving the conference (TU has 7 wins since 2017, while UConn has 6). Someone has to be the "Kansas" of every conference and in the AAC and it looks like that's going to be Tulsa. Firing Montgomery without a plan to match the investment of peer schools will just continue that.
Wow. That’s a lot of wrong words.

Wow. That’s a lot of wrong words.

Which "words" are incorrect? How is TU not positioned to be the bottom-dweller of the AAC? Someone has to be Rutgers/Vanderbilt/KU of each conference. Look around at all the other schools' investments they've made, recent success, the capable HC's and top-60 recruiting classes.

Now that Uconn is gone, AAC might have to switch to a 9-game schedule and TU will further be cemented as the bottom feeder. Unless the AD and donors can bring in massive amounts of new funding to boost the program up with other schools. It's a bad time for TU to be in this position because we all know they're already scrapped for money. So the most likely path is to embrace where they're at and remain sort of an "exhibition team" to show off "P6 Football", sort of like the Washington Generals who play the Harlem Globetrotters. Do you wonder why there's more Navy fans at those home games?

I looove his mights and coulds. Stop bringing up things that aren't going to happen, like a nine game conference schedule. So are you OTulsafan, or his brother.

I looove his mights and coulds. Stop bringing up things that aren't going to happen, like a nine game conference schedule. So are you OTulsafan, or his brother.

I’m not sure why people are still responding to him. He’s obviously a troll.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Wow. someone's in denial and can't find a way to respond to facts.
Yeah, you may want to lay off Huffy on this one. He's more connected inside TU than almost anyone on this board. Not saying others don't have good sources inside, but he has good information and also understands the very real delicateness of the politics that goes on between the board, big $$$ donors, and the university admin. He's a good one to just be quiet and listen to what he has to say.

I’m not sure why people are still responding to him. He’s obviously a troll.
It's a fan board. people are gonna respond. Me being guilty of that for certain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He'll go away unless he's somebody like OTulsafan. He sticks around just to be a stick in the pile of merde. Yeah if we all shut up from the start he would probably leave for lack of oxygen, but he'll likely go away eventually. If he/she is a prof.(which I kinda doubt) then it'll be a short visit.

It's a fan board. people are gonna respond. Me being guilty of that for certain. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He'll go away unless he's somebody like OTulsafan. He sticks around just to be a stick in the pile of merde. Yeah if we all shut up from the start he would probably leave for lack of oxygen, but he'll likely go away eventually. If he/she is a prof.(which I kinda doubt) then it'll be a short visit.

he/she is definitely somebody with a vendetta against TU. Honed in on every possible negative and even made up some negatives to fit his/her narrative. No solutions given besides “let’s move back to c-usa” (a big durr on that).

sure TU has some issues right now, both with athletics and with the overall university. We all know that. It’s one thing to bring in some constructive criticism, it’s quite another to just bash TU with half truths and outright lies.

Yeah, you may want to lay off Huffy on this one. He's more connected inside TU than almost anyone on this board. Not saying others don't have good sources inside, but he has good information and also understands the very real delicateness of the politics that goes on between the board, big $$$ donors, and the university admin. He's a good one to just be quiet and listen to what he has to say.

So you and Huffy are saying UH, UM, UCF, Cinn, Navy, USF have not been top-25 teams recently and that people (including recruits and prospective HC's) don't remember that? And that TU's spending rivals those schools lately?

I'm a long time season ticket holder but I guess my opinion is void because I'm not delusional about a "magic wand" fix to this situation. I've been around for decades and I'll be around as long as TU has a football program, so at least another 3-5 years. If TU is as delusional as some on this board and thinks they can slap a bandaid-HC on this thing to recover, we will be having plenty more 2-10 seasons.

Reactions: Tulsa76
he/she is definitely somebody with a vendetta against TU. Honed in on every possible negative and even made up some negatives to fit his/her narrative. No solutions given besides “let’s move back to c-usa” (a big durr on that).

sure TU has some issues right now, both with athletics and with the overall university. We all know that. It’s one thing to bring in some constructive criticism, it’s quite another to just bash TU with half truths and outright lies.

I don't think C-USA is a good solution, even if I'd prefer TU winning in C-USA than to continue this. The difference in TV money is far too much to ignore, so we have to accept being a bottom feeder in the AAC. Who is going to pony up tens of millions to get TU relevant again?

Tulsa is already getting C-USA-level recruits so people on here shouldn't bash C-USA too much. Being prideful about AAC is like those Arkansas fans people make fun of on here that are prideful about the SEC even though their team sucks.

Reactions: Tulsa76
So you and Huffy are saying UH, UM, UCF, Cinn, Navy, USF have not been top-25 teams recently and that people (including recruits and prospective HC's) don't remember that? And that TU's spending rivals those schools lately?

I'm a long time season ticket holder but I guess my opinion is void because I'm not delusional about a "magic wand" fix to this situation. I've been around for decades and I'll be around as long as TU has a football program, so at least another 3-5 years. If TU is as delusional as some on this board and thinks they can slap a bandaid-HC on this thing to recover, we will be having plenty more 2-10 seasons.
Let's see...UH hit on a coach that worked out great. Memphis hit on a couple who worked out well (they were God awful before Fuente got there), UCF- hit on Frost, we'll see where things ends up with Heupel, Cincinnati-hit on Fickel. We'llsee where they end up when he gets Tennessee's job. Navy is Navy. They haven't done anything different in about 20 years. USF- well, I believe the coach who got them those accolades left for Oregon and then went to Florida State a year after that and just got fired mid-season. Charlie Strong hasn't done anything with them in the 3 years h's been there.

And no one is talking about a band-aid to the football program. Nearly every person here thinks the coach has to go, there's a group of backers ready to make it happen...we have to go and find the right coach. Yeah, there's also the little issue of having an AD who absolutely needs to be shown the door as well since he has completely failed as an AD when you go down the checklist of job duties. Failed to revive the fan base. Failed to promote the university and athletic dept. within the community, failed to bring in new donors, and he's even failed in the area of his specialty which is compliance, especially when it comes to working with the NCAA in getting transfer athletes eligibility waivers.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Honed in on every possible negative and even made up some negatives to fit his/her narrative.

No solutions given besides “let’s move back to c-usa” (a big durr on that)..

What negatives did I make up?

The solution is "invest big in football" or suffer the consequences of being the 10th-11th ranked team in the conference. The AD almost certainly prefers to maintain that and hope for an amazing coach who might have a good season or two every so often.

He just seems like another i.d. for OTulsafanhole. Why would anybody expect anything but half truths and lies from him.

"Anyone who doesn't agree with me must be a troll"
-RealTUFANTM

"TU can win the AAC as it currently is if we just have the right head coach. Everything else is fine as-is."
-RealTUFANTM

A TRUE Scotsman would never state a negative about his country!

TheGolden: I am not asking this to be antagonistic. You continually mention that we need to spend “tens of millions of dollars” to remain relevant in the AAC.

Specifically, where would the tens of millions of dollars need to be spent for that to happen?

Thanks for the kind words. I’m not always right and the stuff people tell me from campus isn’t always right. I try to pass along what I know as best I can. But my commitment to the school has been challenged on here lately because I have no commitment to our current coach. Folks shouldn’t confuse the two. So thanks.

Let's see...UH hit on a coach that worked out great. Memphis hit on a couple who worked out well (they were God awful before Fuente got there), UCF- hit on Frost, we'll see where things ends up with Heupel, Cincinnati-hit on Fickel. We'llsee where they end up when he gets Tennessee's job. Navy is Navy. They haven't done anything different in about 20 years. USF- well, I believe the coach who got them those accolades left for Oregon and then went to Florida State a year after that and just got fired mid-season. Charlie Strong hasn't done anything with them in the 3 years h's been there.

And no one is talking about a band-aid to the football program. Nearly every person here thinks the coach has to go, there's a group of backers ready to make it happen...we have to go and find the right coach. Yeah, there's also the little issue of having an AD who absolutely needs to be shown the door as well since he has completely failed as an AD when you go down the checklist of job duties. Failed to revive the fan base. Failed to promote the university and athletic dept. within the community, failed to bring in new donors, and he's even failed in the area of his specialty which is compliance, especially when it comes to working with the NCAA in getting transfer athletes eligibility waivers.
Hes a good guy who was perfect for what Stead needed in an AD. Stead did the ego and fund raising. Gragg handled the day to day details and mentoring when time permitted. It was a good relationship. But Stead is gone and the job and the needs have changed as Dr Clancy’s strengths and vision are different. That’s life, but you don’t just toss the guy into the street without giving him a chance to succeed or set up a parachute to another program. Nobody wins doing that.

He had an incalculable role in helping get us into the AAC. He hasn’t landed big donors to buy seats or ads that we know about, but he has secured corporate sponsored OOC games that few thought possible. A $15 million dollar commitment is $15 million whether it’s from a local builder for tickets or a bank for naming rights. He had the pledge for an IPF and a check for a new locker room then the market tanked and Stead died.

He’s done a better job than what many will give him credit for here and his personality isn’t always on his side that’s for sure. But he has done an admirable job under difficult circumstances.

Thanks for the kind words. I’m not always right and the stuff people tell me from campus isn’t always right. I try to pass along what I know as best I can. But my commitment to the school has been challenged on here lately because I have no commitment to our current coach. Folks shouldn’t confuse the two. So thanks.
I know. There are a lot of people on here who feel the same way...and it doesn't make us bad fans for questioning why you stay committed to a coach where the long term prospects would be damaging to the program. Why would any fan be loyal to a coach? Our loyalty should always be to the team/program. Coaches and players leave, TU football is and always will be TU football no matter who is playing and who is coaching (now that could change if TU dropped football or dropped to a different level of football). I think this is why we tolerate some of the continued negativity from some posters because you know down deep, they are a loyal fan but they disagree with the current program trend (best example I can think of is Aston's disdain for Haith). I think it would be easier for most fans to write off Monty if this year were the same as last year or the year before. While the records are similar, this team is 50X better than last year in terms of talent and play...so why the poor record? The new guy is right that our opponents in the AAC are getting much better. The entire league (save for UCONN) is playing a much higher quality of football this season, even us and ECU. So what does SMU have over us? Tulane? The on-paper talent is similar. I can't say Buechele is definitely better than Smith. Same w/ McMillan. It's the head coach. Bet SMU is celebrating knowing they got an upgrade in head coach when Morris left for Arkansas.

Loyalty is to the program, not any single entity that makes up a part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT