ADVERTISEMENT

3 conference wins total between 17, 18 and 19 seasons

Hes a good guy who was perfect for what Stead needed in an AD. Stead did the ego and fund raising. Gragg handled the day to day details and mentoring when time permitted. It was a good relationship. But Stead is gone and the job and the needs have changed as Dr Clancy’s strengths and vision are different. That’s life, but you don’t just toss the guy into the street without giving him a chance to succeed or set up a parachute to another program. Nobody wins doing that.

He had an incalculable role in helping get us into the AAC. He hasn’t landed big donors to buy seats or ads that we know about, but he has secured corporate sponsored OOC games that few thought possible. A $15 million dollar commitment is $15 million whether it’s from a local builder for tickets or a bank for naming rights. He had the pledge for an IPF and a check for a new locker room then the market tanked and Stead died.

He’s done a better job than what many will give him credit for here and his personality isn’t always on his side that’s for sure. But he has done an admirable job under difficult circumstances.
I get why he was hired and why he was the right choice at that time. And he is a smart guy and he is a good representative for TU. BUT, he hasn't really checked off any of the 4 pillars of being an AD? He hasn't found new donors or brought in any add'l monies to the department. He hasn't increased the marketing reach of the athletic dept. He hasn't engaged in building new fans. And while we haven't landed on probation for any NCAA infractions, he has failed our student athletes who have transferred here in basketball and football, to get them eligible immediately.

He's also sort of fouled off his 2 major hires (not complete whiffs but he didn't exactly hit them out of the park either). He's also cut a men's sport. He's lost an incredibly successful coach in Bargfeldt because he failed to represent Bargfeldt and the softball program and defend their needs to the university. I understand the university admin has made mandates and has nixed some of this, but the AD's job is to defend the athletic programs and find ways to keep them going and competitive. IMO, he has failed to do that. So as much as our budget limits who we can attract as a coach, I think our AD also is somewhat limiting.

You mention the game contracts with Arkansas and OSU. I firmly believe those would have gotten done under any AD. With the AAC continuing to get stronger and the push for P6 status very real and not as much of a joke as it was 3 years ago, these are games schools like Arkansas and OSU need (and need to win) if they're going to be considered for the CFP. They're not going to get away with multiple games against CUSA and the Sun Belt anymore.

I just want to see him fight for his programs more.

Reactions: TigerCane16
TheGolden: I am not asking this to be antagonistic. You continually mention that we need to spend “tens of millions of dollars” to remain relevant in the AAC.

Specifically, where would the tens of millions of dollars need to be spent for that to happen?

I've already given specifics: Indoor Practice Facility and improved facilities to catch up with others in AAC. Go through every amenity that other AAC schools have which are far better than Tulsa's and invest in those. Pony up, not just for a HC, but also legitimate OC. Big time branding: Memphis, UH & UCF have all done this and gotten the communities involved at a high level - Get the TU branding throughout all parts of the city and aim to make it part of the city identity with bigger presence, collaboration with local businesses/organizations (mass ticket sales/company picnics), mass mailers, in billboards, in local newspapers, etc., which they already do some, but on another level. TU merch should be in every store that has OU/OSU merchandise. TU is often left out.

TU might want to consider some sort of "varsity store" with ticket office facing a major road/intersection or having sponsored ticket sales in more varied locations (e.g. sell TU tickets at all Reasors locations in the bill-pay stations where you can buy tickets). Imagine a little ticket kiosk with merchandise across from Jimmy Johns where you can buy tickets on game day and also get TU gear and clear bags. It would be a nice welcome to the stadium area on game days and keep you from having to walk 500+ feet to get tickets. Deck those areas out a bit more to feel festive, especially in the winter (string lights overhead, TU banners).

Unfortunately, this city has decided to make OSU/OU their teams and TU will likely never be able to claim that "Tulsa team" status. But, if the admin wants TU to thrive in AAC, they have to keep trying and make monumental efforts to become that. People can support multiple teams. Maybe TU needs a big "Fan Zone" tailgate area with tons of TVs and sitting areas and food (in or just outside of stadium grounds) or family play areas for kids (like they do for OSU games - do that at all games). There's so many little things like that other schools have done to boost the game day atmosphere.

I get why he was hired and why he was the right choice at that time. And he is a smart guy and he is a good representative for TU. BUT, he hasn't really checked off any of the 4 pillars of being an AD? He hasn't found new donors or brought in any add'l monies to the department. He hasn't increased the marketing reach of the athletic dept. He hasn't engaged in building new fans. And while we haven't landed on probation for any NCAA infractions, he has failed our student athletes who have transferred here in basketball and football, to get them eligible immediately.

He's also sort of fouled off his 2 major hires (not complete whiffs but he didn't exactly hit them out of the park either). He's also cut a men's sport. He's lost an incredibly successful coach in Bargfeldt because he failed to represent Bargfeldt and the softball program and defend their needs to the university. I understand the university admin has made mandates and has nixed some of this, but the AD's job is to defend the athletic programs and find ways to keep them going and competitive. IMO, he has failed to do that. So as much as our budget limits who we can attract as a coach, I think our AD also is somewhat limiting.

You mention the game contracts with Arkansas and OSU. I firmly believe those would have gotten done under any AD. With the AAC continuing to get stronger and the push for P6 status very real and not as much of a joke as it was 3 years ago, these are games schools like Arkansas and OSU need (and need to win) if they're going to be considered for the CFP. They're not going to get away with multiple games against CUSA and the Sun Belt anymore.

I just want to see him fight for his programs more.
The deal happened because Broyles died, Morris wanted it for recruiting, Gragg knew everyone over there and BOK was willing to pay for it. Maybe the deal happens maybe it doesn’t. Maybe Gragg was along for the ride. We’ve had a lot of ADs try to get that deal. Gragg was from Ark and got it done. He gets a check mark from me for that.

The deal happened because Broyles died, Morris wanted it for recruiting, Gragg knew everyone over there and BOK was willing to pay for it. Maybe the deal happens maybe it doesn’t. Maybe Gragg was along for the ride. We’ve had a lot of ADs try to get that deal. Gragg was from Ark and got it done. He gets a check mark from me for that.
The funny thing is Morris won't even get to use it for recruiting, considering he prolly gets canned this year.

I've already given specifics: Indoor Practice Facility and improved facilities to catch up with others in AAC. Go through every amenity that other AAC schools have which are far better than Tulsa's and invest in those. Pony up, not just for a HC, but also legitimate OC. Big time branding: Memphis, UH & UCF have all done this and gotten the communities involved at a high level - Get the TU branding throughout all parts of the city and aim to make it part of the city identity with bigger presence, collaboration with local businesses/organizations (mass ticket sales/company picnics), mass mailers, in billboards, in local newspapers, etc., which they already do some, but on another level. TU merch should be in every store that has OU/OSU merchandise. TU is often left out.

TU might want to consider some sort of "varsity store" with ticket office facing a major road/intersection or having sponsored ticket sales in more varied locations (e.g. sell TU tickets at all Reasors locations in the bill-pay stations where you can buy tickets). Imagine a little ticket kiosk with merchandise across from Jimmy Johns where you can buy tickets on game day and also get TU gear and clear bags. It would be a nice welcome to the stadium area on game days and keep you from having to walk 500+ feet to get tickets. Deck those areas out a bit more to feel festive, especially in the winter (string lights overhead, TU banners).

Unfortunately, this city has decided to make OSU/OU their teams and TU will likely never be able to claim that "Tulsa team" status. But, if the admin wants TU to thrive in AAC, they have to keep trying and make monumental efforts to become that. People can support multiple teams. Maybe TU needs a big "Fan Zone" tailgate area with tons of TVs and sitting areas and food (in or just outside of stadium grounds) or family play areas for kids (like they do for OSU games - do that at all games). There's so many little things like that other schools have done to boost the game day atmosphere.
So, almost everything on here is a function of the AD job...which he has failed at.

As for a ticket place on a major corner with gear and clear bags, etc. It's called the TU Bookstore. It's on the corner of 11th and Harvard. Also, Dick's has a very nice selection of TU gear and the nice clear bags within policy.

But there are other places. Seeing as how we are in bed with GKFF and BOK, like it or not, why not have tickets available at all BOK branches. Also, why not give away 2 free tickets for any newly opened account? I will also point to QT. There is automation everywhere these days. Why not test market an automated ticket kiosk in a few key QT locations (like movie tickets). Hell, why doesn't TU have some of these outside the DonRey on football and basketball game days. The actual people move at the speed of sloth when you're trying to buy tickets (and maybe that's all ticket ops everywhere because the BOK ticket office isn't much faster, nor is the Drillers/Roughnecks ops). More promos like the '9-1-8 day" things. We bought tickets to the Oilers for 9.18 each and had a great time w/ great seats. Allow game day upgrades for previously purchased tickets at a reasonable price.

As for marketing...TU's approach for the last 5-6 years has been way passive to non TU fans. Billboards only. Alumni and previous season ticket holders get bombarded with calls, emails, and social media ads.

As for facilities...our stadium is old, but the renovation has made it very useful for the current climate. It has more personality than SMU's stadium, and is about the same size as Tulane's. The football building is on par with most in the conference. We lack an IPF. Not everyone has an IPF.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
So, almost everything on here is a function of the AD job...which he has failed at.

As for a ticket place on a major corner with gear and clear bags, etc. It's called the TU Bookstore. It's on the corner of 11th and Harvard. Also, Dick's has a very nice selection of TU gear and the nice clear bags within policy.

But there are other places. Seeing as how we are in bed with GKFF and BOK, like it or not, why not have tickets available at all BOK branches. Also, why not give away 2 free tickets for any newly opened account? I will also point to QT. There is automation everywhere these days. Why not test market an automated ticket kiosk in a few key QT locations (like movie tickets). Hell, why doesn't TU have some of these outside the DonRey on football and basketball game days.

I was thinking more TU football gear kiosks within sight when you walk into Chapman Stadium and preferably visible from 11th also, maybe even just TU football gear trailers (similar to what they have when you enter Octoberfest) full of TU shirts, flags, clear bags, mugs, etc where you can also buy tickets. Pair those with a bit more festive decor to give walking up to Chapman a more lively experience. Sell advanced discounted "Game Day Packs" with gear and tickets, maybe even food vouchers (I think I've seen mailers about this kind of thing before, but should be a normal option that's better advertised and easy-access). These are basic ideas they already do really well at Octoberfest and it all adds to the experience and gets people to show up.

I agree they should have a few TU ticket kiosks around town and around campus on game days. That's good they sell them at BOK. I didn't know that. Just advertising that option might help.

I think company sponsorships and picnics are another huge potential. Many companies have annual (or more frequent) company picnics. Find out the going rate (At Drillers games for example) and match/beat those prices and get the word out that TU can accommodate massive catered company picnics.

That's good they sell them at BOK. I didn't know that. Just advertising that option might help.

I think company sponsorships and picnics are another huge potential. Many companies have annual (or more frequent) company picnics. Find out the going rate (At Drillers games for example) and match/beat those prices and get the word out that TU can accommodate massive catered company picnics.
Didn't say they were selling them at BOK, said they should.

As for the 2nd one, that's a great idea. Set up a tent on the Commons for pre-game, set up a roped off area inside the stadium grounds with food and tables for people to mingle during the game. Market this to American employees.

Also, admissions should really push for free/very discounted tickets for TCC students. There's a dual purpose there that works

Last edited:
Didn't say they were selling them at BOK, said they should.

As for the 2nd one, that's a great idea. Set up a tent on the Commons for pre-game, set up a roped off area inside the stadium grounds with food and tables for people to mingle during the game. Market this to American employees.

Also, admissions should really push for free/very discounted tickets for TCC students. There's a dual purpose there that works

TU looks down on TCC but, giving those students the option of student tickets would likely increase attendance at football and basketball.
I love the idea!

TU looks down on TCC but, giving those students the option of student tickets would likely increase attendance at football and basketball.
I love the idea!

who looks down on them? They’re trying to better themselves just like any other students. Further, TU used to invite their music students to perform with this marching band for an additional credit hour and a small stipend.

I wish we could get TCC students on board with supporting TU. There are a ton of them.

Reactions: TU4ever2
I love the idea!
Well, TU and every other 4 year university in the area better start looking at TCC and its students in a better light. Chances are you will see a much higher number of students going to a 2-year community college to start and then transferring to a 4 yr to finish off the degree than current. Trends indicate that is happening and it's because it makes more sense. The number of students who see TCC as a viable out of HS option is increasing rapidly. Why? Because any HS student from Tulsa County with a 2.5 GPA gets 2 years tuition-free at TCC. The transfer market for students currently enrolled in a community college is a high stakes game for 4 year schools right now. TU would be well-invested in this market.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Especially if it was a feeder school for TU.
It could be. Granted, not every TCC student who completed an Associate's degree is going to necessarily be the caliber of student TU is looking for, but there are certainly some. You'd also have to overcome the financial aspect to get them to come to TU.

That is the problem. The "caliber" of student. Lower the admission requirements and grow the student body. No one cares about a top 100 ranking and if you think they do, you are delusional.

Reactions: maverickfp
That is the problem. The "caliber" of student. Lower the admission requirements and grow the student body. No one cares about a top 100 ranking and if you think they do, you are delusional.
You can't maintain the academic rigor of a program if you allow students in who haven't demonstrated the ability to do the work. If you get a 2.5 GPA in blocks at TCC, you can't reasonably expect they'd be successful at a place like TU in an engineering program. And it's unethical to accept students and take their money when you have a transcript that allows you to reasonably predict they would struggle to be successful (doesn't stop ORU from accepting them though, but you didn't hear that from me).

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm not sure that's true. I was proud and happy to not be going to OU / OSU like a bunch of the mediocre students I knew at Broken Arrow.

This will work itself out. Under TUPlan, we're moving toward being like a tier 2 or regional state school, like a tiny OSU or smaller NSU. Academics requirements will naturally drop as top tier students look elsewhere and we try to expand enrollment by 60%. And with that, tuition will have to drop, too - you can't sell Long John Silver's at Bodean's prices. And the focus of TU as a vo-tech will be much more aligned with the goals of more of the TCC students. We'll also start to see a lot of crossover between teachers, as TU moves away from professors and to adjuncts, they'll hire people who are teaching at TCC now. I suspect TCC will become a path of choice for students who don't get enough financial aid from TU to make it worth getting the same thing at TU. The whole "Tulsa's University" approach will require a lot more coordination between TU and TCC. Now it's not at all clear that will extend to athletics since that's a low priority (to say the least) for the powers that be but it would definitely be a positive.

This will work itself out. Under TUPlan, we're moving toward being like a tier 2 or regional state school, like a tiny OSU or smaller NSU. Academics requirements will naturally drop as top tier students look elsewhere and we try to expand enrollment by 60%. And with that, tuition will have to drop, too - you can't sell Long John Silver's at Bodean's prices. And the focus of TU as a vo-tech will be much more aligned with the goals of more of the TCC students. We'll also start to see a lot of crossover between teachers, as TU moves away from professors and to adjuncts, they'll hire people who are teaching at TCC now. I suspect TCC will become a path of choice for students who don't get enough financial aid from TU to make it worth getting the same thing at TU. The whole "Tulsa's University" approach will require a lot more coordination between TU and TCC. Now it's not at all clear that will extend to athletics since that's a low priority (to say the least) for the powers that be but it would definitely be a positive.

I get that people are upset TU dropped a lot of programs, but Rice did that for quite a few programs a while ago and it seemed to have helped them focus. TU had far too many options. TU still has arguably too many degree options for a university of its size. This seems like a big over-reaction vs what TU is actually doing. They seemed to mess up in which programs to axe and how they went about it, but how is is a sustainable idea for a school of 4,000 students have 88+ degrees?

Many small universities are going to be facing similar budget/degree crunches in the coming years as the demographic shift (fewer in upcoming generation) and drop in international (cash) students hits. It's a USA problem as EU is winning those international students.

I get that people are upset TU dropped a lot of programs, but Rice did that for quite a few programs a while ago and it seemed to have helped them focus. TU had far too many options. TU still has arguably too many degree options for a university of its size. This seems like a big over-reaction vs what TU is actually doing. They seemed to mess up in which programs to axe and how they went about it, but how is is a sustainable idea for a school of 4,000 students have 88+ degrees?

Many small universities are going to be facing similar budget/degree crunches in the coming years as the demographic shift (fewer in upcoming generation) and drop in international (cash) students hits. It's a USA problem as EU is winning those international students.
It has nothing to do with dropping programs. That's just a smokescreen the admin has used to distract from the bigger shifts. But the point isn't whether it's good or bad but whether it will lead to more coordination between TU and TCC and I think it clearly will (or clearly should). Whether that is leveraged to boost athletics is a completely different question. But it's definitely an opportunity that comes from the TU Plan if the powers that be choose to take advantage of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT