ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Post Season

Do we only have one pitcher? Watson is worn out.

OU came through again. Chamberlains walk off bomb to knock us out a few years back was a heart stopper. As much as I don't like our chances tomorrow, at least we have one.
Very entertaining game today. A lot of grit from this team. 6 infielders took away key hits.
STAFFORD! Did what I was hoping some right hander would do and made them pay.
Too many hammers in their lineup. Very deflating loss. But a win tomorrow, would make it the best win ever in TU's history.

Watson became a one pitch pitcher over the last 5 innings today as she couldn't locate any offspeed stuff close to the strike zone. Thought we were fortunate to hold OU off as long as we did considering all they were seeing in the strike zone were fast balls. She has to be tired. Maybe start someone else and bring her in for an inning or two in relief if necessary ? Just not sure what she has left.

Because I’m a little OCD and must do this here are my box score highlights.
Saturday W 2-1
Tulsa 2 Runs 3 Hits 1 Error and 2 LOB
North Dakota State 1 Run 3 Hits 2 Errors and 4 LOB
Emily Watson pitched 7 Innings 1 ER 3 Hits 2 BB and 10K
Sunday L 4-6 (10)
Tulsa 4 Runs 6 Hits 0 Errors 8 LOB
Oklahoma 6 runs 13 Hits 2 Errors 7 LOB
Maggie Withee was 2 for 4 and scored twice
Tori Stafford doubled
Shelby Estocado homered.
Emily Watson pitched 9 innings 6 ER 13 Hits 3 BB and 3 K

A pitcher that averages 10 K per 7 innings can only muster 4 against Arkansas and 3 against Oklahoma? Bull.
Emily had 111 pitches Friday, 106 Saturday, 134 Sunday = 351
My high school girls during the more competitive tournament bracket play throw multi games in row with 30 minute breaks between. She’ll start but be on a pretty short leash. Defense needs to stay perfect and Offensive needs to pick her up early and give her room to work. (Obviously more than 2 runs).

In 15 of the 16 regionals the winner's bracket team was the visitor in the 1st championship game. So probably coin flip and if the winner's brackets win most coaches defer to the “if necessary” game and if the losers bracket win they pick home. Tulsa is home today.

TU has put together some hits today but unfortunately not in a row and can't seem to push one across. Will need 2 to tie in the last couple as long as Watson can keep OU down. OU has 3 hits, but unfortunately 2 have left the yard.

this series was lost in the 10th inning yesterday after TU had a 2 run lead and gave up 4 in the bottom of the 10th. TU was too dependent on Watson all year, but still an excellent season.

Of course, there could still be a miracle comeback.

Aw shucks!

Congrats to a team that had a great season and the Withee twins for a great career.

Too bad they were that close to advancing for the first time and couldn't bring it home. Hope we've got some hitter recruits to replace the Withee's. Another good Pitcher to go along side Watson would be nice too.

Somebody fill me in on which recruits we have?

We lose Withees and Blevins, Walker.
All Sophs were major contributors Hollingsworth, Stafford, Meinen, Neal, Spell
Juniors were Hughes, Estocado ,Watson
Freshman position players non factors. Pitcher looks promising.
In coming class of 5. 2 pitchers,1 outfielder,1 infielder, 1 catcher. Not sure how
they did their senior season but had good stats prior years.
Hopefully we get some hitters that can step in day 1.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We lose Withees and Blevins, Walker.
All Sophs were major contributors Hollingsworth, Stafford, Meinen, Neal, Spell
Juniors were Hughes, Estocado ,Watson
Freshman position players non factors. Pitcher looks promising.
In coming class of 5. 2 pitchers,1 outfielder,1 infielder, 1 catcher. Not sure how
they did their senior season but had good stats prior years.
Hopefully we get some hitters that can step in day 1.
You're not sure about any of the five being labeled as a hitter?

Game 7 results L 0-3
Oklahoma 3 runs 6 Hits 0 Errors 4 LOB
Tulsa 0 Runs 8 Hits 0 Errors 8 LOB
Julia Hollingsworth was 2 for 3 a BB
Morgan Neal was 2 for 3 with a double
Tori Stafford also doubled.
Emily Watson pitched 6 innings with 3 ER 6 Hits 1 BB and 2 K
Lexi Blevins pitched the last inning facing 4 batters 0 hits 1 BB 0 K.

Emily Watson’s ERA ended up at 1.25 with 348 K
Emily Watson, Haley Meinen were named NFCA 2nd team All Region team
Maggie Withee and Julia Hollingsworth were 3rd team All Region.

In the regionals every seeded/host team advanced to the Super Regional.
Oklahoma State pushed the #1 seed Florida to the “if necessary” game.
LSU took a similar path as Oklahoma to win.

Those 3 teams where the only host teams to lose a game.

Blevins is listed as a Junior on the roster so I figured she will return, unless there is more to the story?
She was showing a trend of being a decent number 2 towards the end of the season, and was solid in relief today. Probably should have came in an inning sooner in both games. With her and Meinen I'm comfortable where we will be pitching (assuming continued improvement and consistency).
Watching the Withee sisters career has been fun and will leave 2 holes in top half of the line up. The bottom half of the line up was also trending better towards the end of the season and conference tournament, but didn't help much this weekend.

this series was lost in the 10th inning yesterday after TU had a 2 run lead and gave up 4 in the bottom of the 10th. TU was too dependent on Watson all year, but still an excellent season.

Of course, there could still be a miracle comeback.
Right up there with JP's Wisconsin game in the TU annals of gut punch losses.

I think they all carry good high school stats and experienced good competition playing with
travel teams. But you never know until the D1 lights are turned on. I expected more contribution from our present Freshman class. Hopefully this off season they eat and sleep with their bats.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

I think they all carry good high school stats and experienced good competition playing with
travel teams. But you never know until the D1 lights are turned on. I expected more contribution from our present Freshman class. Hopefully this off season they eat and sleep with their bats.
There is a ton of potential in the lineup still. Estocado's bat needs to be fixed because she has some serious power and put up great numbers a season ago. I didn't know until the NCAAs that she played with a traveling women's baseball team last summer and that supposedly really screwed up her swing.

Watson coming back will put this team in position again. Honestly with her TU should be in position to host a regional. They weren't far off this year, of convention for seeding held, TU was the 6th best #2 seed. Future is bright!

We are losing 2 of our top players in the Withee sisters. They both were rock solid offensively and defensively. We will have to see who can fill those lofty holes in the lineup.
As far as Estocado swing being altered, I think it is more on how she is not seeing and picking up the ball. Spell is another one with a good swing but doesn't see the ball well.
They need TONS of mixed speed batting practice.
I did not think this team would finish with the success they had this year. The
AAC had a down year which helped TU. Watson was a Big reason and the solid defensive play kept them in games. Every game, it seemed , were nail biters. We need a lot more offense. OU demonstrated how you can get back in a game quick with Offense. Small ball, Long ball or both. Got to have it!

The sophomores are the core group of position players with Hollingsworth, Spell, Neal, Stafford and Meinen...Estocado will be back next year for sure

We will need to play a very competitive OOC schedule if we hope to land a regional next year. It's about RPI RPI RPI.

We will need to play a very competitive OOC schedule if we hope to land a regional next year. It's about RPI RPI RPI.
Not to mention be competitive with our donors and come up with the dough it takes to host. I think the figure for soccer is $150,000.00, iirc. Or we could spend that on football and basketball recruiting. Your call.

The most successful program at Tulsa is softball..Tulsa got more pub in the last 4 days from ESPN than all sports combined

In women's sports softball is third to soccer and track & field. We don't have that great of a womens track & field or soccer program so yeah most publicity for a women's sport. But Soccer, Basketball, and Football in men's sports likely all out distance pub from softball. Women's sports important from pub standpoint though. If you were talking womens soccer, the argument would be more convincing.

Im just talking about sports publicity not which is the most successful...Tulsa was all over espn platforms for most of the weekend.. when has Tulsa Soccer ever been all over ESPN for 4 days ?

Don't remember exactly, but don't we have a national championship in women's golf? But lately, softball has been most successful.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Don't remember exactly, but don't we have a national championship in women's golf?

I've been watching the women's NCAA D-1 Tournament and they've been showing facts about their history. Yesterday they talked about the teams with the most championships (Tulsa had 1) and the most 2nd place finishes. Tulsa was #4 with 3.

Actually, the Tulsa women won 3 national titles but the one in 1988 was vacated due to NCAA violations. We also won in 1980 when women's golf played in the AIAW before the NCAA sanctioned it.

In the late eighties, when I was working for DuPont in Wilmington, DE, DuPont sponsored a women's LPGA event at the DuPont Country Club. My wife and I followed a number of ex TU golfers around--Nancy Lopez, Jody Rosenthal, Kathy Baker and at least one other I can't recall her name.

We have a storied women's golf program. I was privleged to have played a round with Dale McNamara at the famous goat hill course in Sands Spings lol. She coached during most of those great years.

Her daughter Mellisa, who won the 1988 individual title and led TU to the team title, also coached the team a few years before leading the Arizona State program and winning a NCAA title there.

Of course, Nancy Lopez won about every honor imaginable as an amateur and professional. She was the individual champion in 1980, US amateur champion, Curtis Cup member, had 40-some PGA wins, a member of the LPGA Hall of Fame, etc

I really enjoy golf and long for the days our men and women's programs are relevant again. I imagine former TU golfer SeniorGolfer does also.

Probably so..im not sure but i meant lately..either way its all good for the school
Women's Volleyball has been successful lately, but does not bring in as many viewers as softball. Men's soccer gets a lot more viewers than women's volleyball, so less time in the spotlight gets as much or more than softball's 4 day span.(ie football & basketball) Like you said though, not bad for the school. I just thought you were making an argument for paying for a regional if we qualified next year.

Don't remember exactly, but don't we have a national championship in women's golf?

I've been watching the women's NCAA D-1 Tournament and they've been showing facts about their history. Yesterday they talked about the teams with the most championships (Tulsa had 1) and the most 2nd place finishes. Tulsa was #4 with 3.

Actually, the Tulsa women won 3 national titles but the one in 1988 was vacated due to NCAA violations. We also won in 1980 when women's golf played in the AIAW before the NCAA sanctioned it.

In the late eighties, when I was working for DuPont in Wilmington, DE, DuPont sponsored a women's LPGA event at the DuPont Country Club. My wife and I followed a number of ex TU golfers around--Nancy Lopez, Jody Rosenthal, Kathy Baker and at least one other I can't recall her name.

We have a storied women's golf program. I was privleged to have played a round with Dale McNamara at the famous goat hill course in Sands Spings lol. She coached during most of those great years.

Her daughter Mellisa, who won the 1988 individual title and led TU to the team title, also coached the team a few years before leading the Arizona State program and winning a NCAA title there.

Of course, Nancy Lopez won about every honor imaginable as an amateur and professional. She was the individual champion in 1980, US amateur champion, Curtis Cup member, had 40-some PGA wins, a member of the LPGA Hall of Fame, etc

I really enjoy golf and long for the days our men and women's programs are relevant again. I imagine former TU golfer SeniorGolfer does also.
I was disappointed when Melissa left TU. All of her athletes lived in my residence hall when I was the RD, including Stacy Prammanasudh. I actually helped Melissa move a couple of her athletes out one time as they were prepping to go to regionals. She gave me some TU golf swag for my trouble. Melissa was as genuine as they come. Actually, most of the coaches I worked with over the years were very genuine and good people. The ones who weren't have been discussed as nauseam on this board.

TU women's sports have been incredibly successful after TU made the leap into the WAC. Women's tennis, rowing, track and field, and volleyball have all had some ridiculously good teams and athletes. Soccer was very good under Randy Waldrum in the 90s. They are starting to get better under Kyle Cussen. Golf was better this year. I believe volleyball will see a resurgence under Ryan. Matilda has the women's basketball team a player or two from being a top 4 team in the AAC. Softball has been the most consistent along with tennis though and you'd have to think that as long as Bargfeldt stays, they will continue to be a top AAC team.

Really good overview. A few other names off the top of my head Kelley Robbins, Holly and Lulong Hartley and Stacy P.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT