ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Post Season

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
East Carolina is hosting the Conference Tournament in Greenville, NC.

The schedule has been updated from when it was originally released. Apparently weather conditions could be a factor Thursday afternoon and some games where moved up to Wednesday to avoid. As the #1 seed, Tulsa doesn't play until Friday as originally scheduled.

Wednesday, May 10
GAME 1: No. 3 UCF vs. No. 6 East Carolina - 1 p.m. ET
GAME 2: No. 2 Houston vs. No. 7 UConn - 3:30 p.m. ET
Thursday, May 11 (The American Digital Network)
GAME 3: No. 4 USF vs. No. 5 Memphis - 10 a.m. ET
GAME 4: Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 2 - 12:30 p.m. ET
Friday, May 12 (The American Digital Network)
GAME 5: No. 1 Tulsa vs. Winner of Game 1 - 1 p.m. ET
Saturday, May 13 (ESPN)
GAME 6: Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 4 - Noon ET

The Regional Selection is on Sunday May 14th one ESPN2 at 10:00pm.
The selection process is 64 teams, 32 auto bid from each conference, and 32 at large selections.

The conference tournament winner is the auto bid for The American Conference.
Remember last year Tulsa limped through the regular season in the middle of the group and stepped up to win the tournament to qualify.

The quarterfinals and semifinals will on The American Digital Network at www.youtube.com/americanathleticconf. The championship game on Saturday and will be televised on ESPN.

Coaching staff was named AAC Staff of the year, Watson and Withee (Maggie) were named to the AAC 1st team, Meinen was named to the 2nd team All AAC. Watson should come away with Pitcher of the Year honors no doubt and IMO, should be conference player of the year as well (not even sure they do that). Single most dominant player in the conference.

Kinda amazing that Tulsa is clearly the best team in the conference and only gets 1 position player in the top 16 on the all conference teams

The Coaching staff, Withee and Watson as First Team, and Watson as Pitcher of year selections were all unanimous selections.
Despite the last series of the regular season let down, Tulsa is still ranked 24/RV and RPI of 28

Tournament update:
Game 1 East Carolina upsets Central Florida 4-2
Game 2 Houston beat Connecticut 7-0
So Houston plays East Carolina in Game 4 semis today after the first round finishes up with Game 3 at 10:00ET with South Florida and Memphis

Conference Tournament Update:
Memphis beat South Florida 7-0 to meet Tulsa in the Semis tomorrow (Friday) 1 PM ET
Houston beat East Carolina 6-0 to advance to the Championship game on Saturday.

Hollingsworth being left off 1st team is a crime! She did everything well.
I hope she get's a chip on her shoulder in a positive way and explodes this week.

From my observation only Watson, Hollingsworth and Maggie clearly deserved 1st team.
Maddie and Stafford borderline. Meinen, Neal 2nd team. No one else deserved accolade.

TU beats Memphis 6-0. Jumped on them early. Watson gave up 3 hits (at least a couple were infield hits), and had 11 Ks. TU didn't commit an error. Memphis made 3 errors, TU had 8-9 hits, and had some very clutch at bats with RISP. Top 5 of the order delivered again. On to the finals tomorrow vs Houston.

Tulsa wins its Semi game 6-0 to advance to the Finals with Houston Saturday at noon on ESPN

Memphis 0 Runs 3 Hits 3 Errors 4 LOB
Tulsa 6 Runs 9 Hits 0 Errors 6 LOB
Maggie Withee was 3 for 4
Morgan Neal was 2-3 with a Double and 2 RBI
Shannon Hughes also Doubled
Emily Watson pitched 7 innings 0 ER 3 Hits 0 BB and 11 K

As for the All Conference selections it's hard to argue that Hollingsworth should be 1st team over the 3 OF that were picked. She should feel snubbed over not being 2nd team as her offensive numbers are better than any of those 3 in almost every category.

TU beats Memphis 6-0. Jumped on them early. Watson gave up 3 hits (at least a couple were infield hits), and had 11 Ks. TU didn't commit an error. Memphis made 3 errors, TU had 8-9 hits, and had some very clutch at bats with RISP. Top 5 of the order delivered again. On to the finals tomorrow vs Houston.
It was actually the 6 hole kid who used to be the 3 hole i think who had the key hit

TU WINS AAC CHAMPIONSHIP! 1-0 vs.Houston. Each team had 4 hits. Houston made an error. TUs defense was really really solid. The SS is an excellent player. Watson had at least 10Ks today. She has an absolutely killer rise ball and she also throws a ridiculous fastball that runs in on right handed batters about knee high that is devastating.

Championship Game W 1-0
Houston 0 Runs 4 Hits 1 Error 5 LOB
Tulsa 1 Run 4 Hits 0 Errors 6 LOB
Hollingsworth walked twice and scored the Run
Tori Stafford hit the RBI double
Watson pitched 7 innings 0 Runs 4 Hits 1 BB and 11 K

Regional Brackets are announced Sunday evening after all the conference tournaments are done.

I have to remind myself how the NCAA tournament works.
The Regional are 4 team double elimination tournaments hosted at 16 sites.
In the Super Regional the highest seed in each bracket host the other team for a best of 3 series.
The 8 remaining advance to Oklahoma City for the College World Series.
That series is a double elimination 2 four team brackets with the losers bracket crossing over in the 2nd round (I think) down to 2 teams.
The final 2 teams meet in a best of 3 final series.

The double elimination format means there are very few upsets and Cinderella stories that make it past the Regional much less to OKC.
Not saying it can’t and hasn’t happened. Placement in the right bracket and match up would be key.

Wow! Would I hate to stand in there against E. Watson. 60,65 & sometimes 70 mph and a wicked drop ball. Kinda feel sorry for the Arkies & Okies. Plus, she don' need no stinkin' rest.

Wow! Would I hate to stand in there against E. Watson. 60,65 & sometimes 70 mph and a wicked drop ball. Kinda feel sorry for the Arkies & Okies. Plus, she don' need no stinkin' rest.

I'm pretty sure OU has a pitcher or two wth just as good stuff.

They do however Tulsa will have shot...The Tulsa pitcher will hold OU down, the key is whether Tulsa can score 2 to 4 against OU...thats going to be tough..Need hits throughout lineup to win that game

They do however Tulsa will have shot...The Tulsa pitcher will hold OU down, the key is whether Tulsa can score 2 to 4 against OU...thats going to be tough..Need hits throughout lineup to win that game
This is the key. OU's got at least one outstanding lefty in the circle and that always presents some issues for the slappers at the top. I think the only time the two teams played this season, OU won 1-0 in 10 innings.

Most recent polls both have Tulsa at 23 and 25 RPI
For the first time all 16 Regionals will have TV coverage.

Norman Regional Breakdown
#6 Oklahoma 50-8 Overall 17-1 in Big 12 Champion (regular season/No Big 12 Tournament)
#23 Tulsa 39-15 Overall 15-3 AAC Champion (both season and tournament)
RV Arkansas 31-22 Overall 7-18 in the SEC
North Dakota State 28-31 Overall and 11-7 in Summit. Tournament Champion (2nd in regular season)

In regular season Tulsa:
Lost to Oklahoma 1-0 (10) in Tulsa
Split with Arkansas W 8-0 (5) in Tulsa L 1-3 in Arkansas
Too many common opponents of Tulsa, Arkansas and Oklahoma to list.
NDSU lost to Arizona in the second week 1-2. Tulsa lost in the first week 2-10. Oklahoma lost 3-4 midseason.
NDSU also lost to USF 0-7. Tulsa swept that 3 games series 5-0;7-3;5-0

This should be a competitive/fun bracket to watch.

Friday May 19
Game 1 Tulsa vs. Arkansas 11:30 SECN
Game 2 Oklahoma vs. NDSU 2:00 ESPN3
Saturday May 20 (TV TBD)
Game 3 Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 1:30
Game 4 Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2 4:00
Game 5 Winner of Game 4 vs. Loser of Game 3 6:30
Sunday May 21 (TV TBD)
Game 6 Winner of Game 3 vs. Winner of 5 1:30
Game 7 repeat if necessary 4:00

Follow updates here:
http://soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/ncaa/17sb_ncaa_regional.html

The tarp is out in Norman. <shrug>

Start times are moved back 1 hour.

Last edited:
Never underestimate what a good catcher who is a great receiver can do for your pitcher. Spell is fantastic. No wasted movement with her glove, receives the ball, etc. Probably gets a few strike calls because the ball hits the target and she doesn't try to over sell. The Arkansas catcher is all over the place and a lot of herky jerky movement and stabs at the ball when it is coming in. There have been quite a few close pitches that have not gotten called for the AR pitchers and I think it may be due to the catcher.

Hailey Meinen with a B7 walk-off on the first pitch of the half inning! Arkansas tied the game at 4 with a lead off HR in the top half of the inning. Big win for TU to get to (presumably) OU tomorrow afternoon.

Umpire today squeezed the strike zone on both pitchers today. Hurt Watson a lot because she was trying to paint the box today and didn't get calls she normally does.

Big game tomorrow at 1:30pm. Winning the first two is usually the key in four team double elimination formats.

Anyone know when they'll announce what channel tomorrow's game will be broadcast on?

Friday W 5-4
Arkansas 4 Runs 6 Hits 2 Errors
Tulsa 5 Runs 5 Hits 1 Error
Shannon Hughes hit a 2 RBI Triple
Morgan Neal Doubled and 2 BB
Haley Meinen had 2 RBI including 1 with the lead off first pitch walk off HR
Emily Watson pitched 7 innings with 4 ER 6 Hits 3 BB and 4 K

As usual for the weekend I'll be very distracted watching my girl play and won't pay any attention to this.
Until Monday this is all you guys.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Figured that after taking 4-3 lead in bottom of 5th & then leaving bases loaded with 1 out, TU had screwed the pooch. But nooooo! Meinan's line drive over right-fielder put severe hurt on lady hogs. Ms. Watson will be better against Gooners-hope it's enough.

Right now, North Dakota St is leading OU 2-0 no the game is in a rain delay. That would be ideal for TU if NDSU holds on and TU might be able to throw a combo of Higley and Meinen vs them and let Watson get a little rest.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Super win today under bad conditions. Meinen has been hitting very good of late. Great piece of hitting going with the pitch. Estocado...? could sure use the bat she once had .Walker, who looks out of shape mentally and physically, hitting for Spell was bonehead.

Watson will throw tomorrow regardless who wins between ou and ndsu..its the biggest game of the weekend..win that and u go to Sunday only needing 1

Reactions: lawpoke87
It appears as if the conclusion of the OU/NDSU game will be played at 1:30 today and we'll take on the winner after that at 5. I'm not sure that this could have worked out better for us at this point.

It appears as if the conclusion of the OU/NDSU game will be played at 1:30 today and we'll take on the winner after that at 5. I'm not sure that this could have worked out better for us at this point.

There is one better scenario imo. OU loses vs No Dakota and a rain hits just after that game concludes and it gives Emily another rest day for her next pitching performance. . IMO

Wow the odds have flipped in our favor. Not sure of the Bisons pitching depth. But if their Ace has to go again, I like our chances. Go Tulsa!

Wow the odds have flipped in our favor. Not sure of the Bisons pitching depth. But if their Ace has to go again, I like our chances. Go Tulsa!
Looks like they literally have 2 pitchers. Their #1 threw 9 innings already today. The #2 has an ERA above 4 and pitched about 30% of the innings this year. That said their #1 pitcher has an ERA of almost 3, so... they have an overall losing record so both are about .500 winning %.

This is a good game, but it is hard to watch with that Bubble Gut Sooner fan sitting behind home plate. Is she so obese she still can't get up and leave from last night's game or is she in some type of adult diabetic induced coma and thinks OU is playing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT