ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball 3/31 to 4/8

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
This weekend’s conference matchup Memphis comes to Tulsa
Friday’s games is at 5, Saturday at 2 and Sunday at Noon.
Memphis is 19-14 Overall and 2-1 in Conference
They have played Florida Atlantic losing 0-5 Tulsa lost 1-5
They also lost to Arkansas 2-4 Tulsa won that matchup 8-0 (5)

There are two 6pm midweek away games next week but then off next weekend.
Wednesday is a trip to Oklahoma State
OSU is currently 22-11 overall, 3-0 in the Big 12 (sweeping Texas) and receiving votes in both polls (just below Tulsa)
OSU has lost to USF 4-12, Tulsa swept the 3 game series last weekend 5-0, 7-3, 5-0.
OSU also lost to California 1-9, Arkansas 6-7 and twice to LSU 2-14 and 2-5, Tulsa won those matchups 4-0, 8-0 and, 1-0.
OSU beat Wichita State 11-3, Tulsa lost to them 3-5.
Thursday Tulsa makes a return trip to Wichita State.
Wichita State is currently 17-12 and 4-2 in the MVC
Wichita State won the previous game in Tulsa 3-5.
During that (rain shorten) tournament they lost to Texas Tech 3-4 and Montana 1-3. Tulsa won those 7-0 and 3-1.
They however beat Texas Tech in another game in Lubbock 10-7.
Wichita State also lost to LSU 3-4 and Oklahoma 3-7. Tulsa lost to Oklahoma 0-1 (10).

Schedule Update:
Because of the potential for rain on Sunday, the game on Sunday has been moved up to Saturday. The first game of the double header starts at 11.

Why would they schedule it at the same time as the spring football game?

TU lost game 2, 4-0. Blevins started. TU made a couple of errors and fell behind early. TU came back in game 3 of the series and won 1-0. Watson with the win and 9 or 10 Ks.

Can some provide the background on Watson? Class, where from, etc... She's turned into a hell of a pitcher.

Last edited:
Can some provide the background on Watson? Class, where from, etc... She's turned into a hell of a pitcher.
She's a junior from Edmond Deer Creek. After yesterday's games she was at #6 on the all time TU K list.

Here are the lines for the weekend results

Friday: W 2-0
Memphis 0 Runs 4 Hits 1 Error 4 LOB
Tulsa 4 Runs 6 Hits 0 Errors 7 LOB
Julia Hollingsworth was 2 for 2
Emily Watson 7 innings 0 runs 4 hits 1 BB 11 K
Saturday
Game 1: L 0-4

Memphis 4 Runs 12 Hits 0 Errors 6 LOB
Tulsa 0 Runs 3 Hits 0 Errors 4 LOB
Lexi Blevins started and went 5 innings 4 ER 11 Hits 0 BB and 3 K
Madison Higley pitched 2 innings with 0 runs 1 hit 0 BB and 0 K
Game 2: W 2-1
Memphis 1 Run 5 Hits 1 Error 8 LOB
Tulsa 2 Runs 7 Hits 2 Errors 7 LOB
Maggie Withee was 2 for 3 with an RBI
Maddie Withee was 2 for 3
Julia Hollingsworth doubled and SB
Shelby Estocado homered.
Emily Watson 7 innings 1 ER 5 Hits 3 BB and 10 K

Tulsa is now 25-11 overall and 5-1 in conference.
10 game win streak ended with Game 2
11 game errorless streak ended in Game 3
Watson’s ERA is now 1.19
The NCAA website hasn’t updated stats to include the weekend games to see where she is ranked nationally.
She has 202 Ks for the season 4th on Tulsa season record book. (1-3 are Aimee Creger and the next mark is 256)
Her 451 career Ks is 6th in Tulsa career record.
Estocado now has 22 career home run is tied for 6th for Tulsa

Next up is OSU in Stillwater on Wednesday
OSU went 3-0 sweeping Kansas 7-1, 1-0 and 7-1.
Tulsa beat Kansas 2-1
OSU is now 22-11 overall and 6-0 in Big 12.

Then Wichita State on Thursday in Wichita.
Wichita State also went 2-1 over the weekend and is now 19-13 overall and 6-3 iv MVC

Stat rankings are now updated
Watson’s 202 Ks rank 4th in the NCAA
Her 1.19 ERA is 24th
That gives the team a 2.01 ERA for 28th

The polls are now out as well.
Tulsa is still receiving votes in both polls but further down the list and now behind OSU.

Interesting that a 1.19 Era is good but not great. From the other side, gives you a different idea of what to expect from the offense when facing a quality team.

I'm sure all pitchers have weekends they would like to forget and you don't get to pick and choice what to include, but I'm going to do it anyway. Leaving out the Week 1 numbers her ERA drops to 0.82 and puts her in top 10 and she was 0.61 for March.

I'm sure all pitchers have weekends they would like to forget and you don't get to pick and choice what to include, but I'm going to do it anyway. Leaving out the Week 1 numbers her ERA drops to 0.82 and puts her in top 10 and she was 0.61 for March.
What Tax Guy said. Watson struggled with walks the first 2 weeks of the season and it resulted in some runs against...or her arm/shoulder just hadn't loosened up enough. Right now she is flat out dealing with some great location on her pitches as well as effectively using the curve, rise ball, and she has as good a change up in women's softball as I have seen.

Through 4 tonight, TU leads OSU 3-2. TU has put the lead runner in in all 4 so far. The Withee's knocked out the OSU starter for some relieve named "Barbie". No lies. Watson has 11 Ks through 4, striking out the side in innings 2,3 & 4. Struck out two in the 1st but also gave up a 2-run dinger

Last edited:
TU wins 3-2. 3 R 10 H 1 E for TU. 2 R, 2 H, 2 E for OSU. Watson had 17 Ks in the complete game.

Nice win...I still believe absent the leadoff and Withee twins the lineup is suspect but with that pitcher they can beat anyone...

All of TU's hits came from the top 5 spots in the lineup. And Hollingsworth is a pitcher's nightmare because she just doesn't get herself out.

More notable stats from game:
Julia Hollingsworth was 2 for 3 pushing her season Batting Average up to .400
Maggie Withee was 3 for 4 with a 2 RBI double, her season Batting Average is now .393
Maddie Withee was 2 for 3 and stole a base.
Tori Stafford was 2 for 4

Watson’s 17 Ks tied the school record. She also did it last year, and Aimee Creger did it twice in 2014.

On to Wichita State with whom we have struggled the last couple of years.

More notable stats from game:
Julia Hollingsworth was 2 for 3 pushing her season Batting Average up to .400
Maggie Withee was 3 for 4 with a 2 RBI double, her season Batting Average is now .393
Maddie Withee was 2 for 3 and stole a base.
Tori Stafford was 2 for 4

Watson’s 17 Ks tied the school record. She also did it last year, and Aimee Creger did it twice in 2014.

On to Wichita State with whom we have struggled the last couple of years.
At one point Watson had retired 13 straight, 12 by K. That's pretty impressive stuff. If the 6-9 hitters can get going it definitely makes TU a team to contend with in a regional with a dominant pitcher and balanced lineup.

The catcher girl is only hitting .189 but I wouldn’t think about changing anything with that at least during the games Watson is in the circle. Don’t mess with what’s working.

For those that throw their money away on subscription television services if I’m understanding correctly the Wichita State game tonight is on ESPN3.

The catcher girl is only hitting .189 but I wouldn’t think about changing anything with that at least during the games Watson is in the circle. Don’t mess with what’s working.

For those that throw their money away on subscription television services if I’m understanding correctly the Wichita State game tonight is on ESPN3.
Yeah, don't mess with your battery. The other thing is the importance of the catcher defensively, not only calling and receiving pitches, but throwing out potential base stealers, being able to focus and catch a ball while someone comes trucking towards you, etc. A lot of coaches/managers will sacrifice offense for a stellar defensive catcher.

Last edited:
Thursday Result L 2-1
Tulsa 1 Run 7 Hits 2 Errors 8 LOB
Wichita State 2 Runs 4 Hits 1 Error 5 LOB
Hollingsworth was 2 for 3
Lexi Blevins pitched 5.1 with 2 Runs 1 ER 3 Hits 1 BB and 5 K
Madison Higley pitched .2 with 1 Hit 1 BB
Lexi Blevins was cruising into the 6th when 2 errors put a runner on second and a base hit tied the game.
Then a comebacker put runners on the corners and knocked Lexi out of the game…literally.
Higley came in to finish up the inning but not before another run scored (charged to Blevins)
Tulsa was unable to answer in the 7th

Hoping Lexi is okay.

Just not getting offense production from the 6 hole down. Estacado I thought early in her career would be special before it was all done because of her power but she has bad timing at the plate and seems to be guessing at pitches and not taking hard cuts. Watson, Withee twins and the Sophomores are playing Great. Good pitching and timely hitting will win some more games.
It will be fun to watch. Hopefully some other players will break out.

I am friends with one of the fathers on the team...this team has very good chemistry, they really like each other...much more than last year. However, on the hitting side I am told rightly or wrongly that the staff there doesnt value hitting..thet dont hit much live..they get about 3 rounds of 6 each week live....they also teach a down plane to flat barrell at contact swing...they do drills where they have players chop the ball into the ground off a tee...the players for the most part dont believe in the hitting philosophy..i know they have changed my friends daughter swing and the 3 hole and 5,6 hole and it hasnt worked..they dont say they are changing your swing but by the drills they do they change your swing..its all swing down to flat barrell...he rarely goes because he cant stand what they have done to his kid and he can't stand the coaches. Its just his opinion but its based on some facts that his daughter provides him. On a side note that hitting philosphy is plain garbage, no one that is any good teaches that...

55 or so extra base hits..thats pathetic..even the announcer for OSU radio were saying how bad that is...GLoser you simply no nothing about softball/baseball...i played d1 baseball..did u?

I am friends with one of the fathers on the team...this team has very good chemistry, they really like each other...much more than last year. However, on the hitting side I am told rightly or wrongly that the staff there doesnt value hitting..thet dont hit much live..they get about 3 rounds of 6 each week live....they also teach a down plane to flat barrell at contact swing...they do drills where they have players chop the ball into the ground off a tee...the players for the most part dont believe in the hitting philosophy..i know they have changed my friends daughter swing and the 3 hole and 5,6 hole and it hasnt worked..they dont say they are changing your swing but by the drills they do they change your swing..its all swing down to flat barrell...he rarely goes because he cant stand what they have done to his kid and he can't stand the coaches. Its just his opinion but its based on some facts that his daughter provides him. On a side note that hitting philosphy is plain garbage, no one that is any good teaches that...
That swing plane produces more line drives and hard grounders...the hope being if you don't have the pure power hitters in the traditional power hitting spots, you can still produce runs. It's not just being taught in softball, but also baseball. When I was a kid I was taught flat through the plane. That's when strike zones were small. But you'd have 8, 9 & 10 year old kids trying to figure out hand-eye coordination and figuring out where the plane of the ball was. Softball, that swing allows you to start your swing and adjust the barrel of the bat some...but it also puts you at a disadvantage at balls higher in the strike zone...pitches that are easier to hit out if you have a power hitter swing with a slight uppercut. I can't argue the philosophy...you're teaching kids that contact is better than the occasional HR. K's don't advance runners,putting the ball in play does.

I am pleased to have a conversation with you about this..watch every mlb hitter..no one swings down..read Matt Lisle..Tim Walton..Myers from Auburn..Dobson from LSU..lotief from Ul..no one worth their salt teaches swing down...here is the reason why..if you swing down how many chances do you have to hit the ball? 1 and your timing has to be perfect..the other way which is slightly up you have about 2 feet to hit the ball from behind the plate to in front...ill challenge anyone to show me 1 mlb guy that swings down..

I am pleased to have a conversation with you about this..watch every mlb hitter..no one swings down..read Matt Lisle..Tim Walton..Myers from Auburn..Dobson from LSU..lotief from Ul..no one worth their salt teaches swing down...here is the reason why..if you swing down how many chances do you have to hit the ball? 1 and your timing has to be perfect..the other way which is slightly up you have about 2 feet to hit the ball from behind the plate to in front...ill challenge anyone to show me 1 mlb guy that swings down..

I'm not a softball expert but the trajectory of an underhand pitched ball is different than an overarm thrown ball. Fastballs can be virtually on a flat plane I think with the low release point and especially with the closer mound so there's less time for gravity to work its magic, and spin can make an upward moving ball because of the low release point which you can't do in baseball. I don't know if that makes for a different batting approach but it seems that baseball isn't a great analogy for softball batting.

So u agree they have 4 good players?

I have no idea. I just think it's an absurd argument. The outcome is valid for literally any team (the assumption assures the outcome in all instances) so it doesn't tell you anything. Other than the good players, the New England Patriots are bad too. How is that fact meaningful?

I have no idea. I just think it's an absurd argument. The outcome is valid for literally any team (the assumption assures the outcome in all instances) so it doesn't tell you anything. Other than the good players, the New England Patriots are bad too. How is that fact meaningful?
I was being sarcastic..my point is that those 3 players plus a grest pitcher are currently carrying the team

I'm not a softball expert but the trajectory of an underhand pitched ball is different than an overarm thrown ball. Fastballs can be virtually on a flat plane I think with the low release point and especially with the closer mound so there's less time for gravity to work its magic, and spin can make an upward moving ball because of the low release point which you can't do in baseball. I don't know if that makes for a different batting approach but it seems that baseball isn't a great analogy for softball batting.
All the great hitting guys will tell you there is no difference in baseball and softball swings...you must match the plane of the ball..as far as rise balls you must layoff because no one is hitting the good ones...i just dont get how anyone things swinging down is good...hit hard fly balls..the field is 200 feet..you have to be perfect in timing to swing down and i know from college you are on time perfectly about 30%

It does produce lots of ground balls and ground balls are outs against good teams
Again, no expert but my sense is that top pitchers in softball go longer and have lower ERAs than in baseball meaning that it's more important to be able to "manufacture" runs in softball than baseball, and higher error rates in softball meaning that a ground ball is on average more "valuable" than a ground ball in baseball. That's especially true given the crazy high strikeout rates of top pitchers meaning the main challenge against them is just getting the ball in play. All of which suggests that whatever swing is most likely to get the ball out of the catchers mitt is the best one. Which is not necessarily true in baseball.

I suspect the softball coaches spend a lot of time helping players unlearn bad softball technique taught to them by wannabe dad's who think baseball and softball are the same thing.

You mean like Tim Walton, Kenny Gajewski, Michael Lotief, Howard Dobson, South Carolina hitting guy, Matt Lisle, Mike Candrea, Myers from Auburn...the top teams in the country employ baseball swings..do your research before guessing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT