ADVERTISEMENT

2/28 games

ctt8410

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Pretty good start to the day. Wichita beats #10 Northern Iowa. Cinci beats Tulane and jumps back into the RPI top 50. OU and ECU wins also help.

Creighton @ Seton Hall just started on CBS Sports
OSU @ Texas Tech just started on ESPNNews

What is the deal with Cincinnati's RPI? Looks like 3 top 25 wins? 20-9 overall vs our 20-7 but approx 15 spots behind us? Yet projected in the tourney?

Are their bad losses just being overlooked other than RPI?

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
So again, what's the problem with their RPI then?
Losses to ECU and Tulane can't be good for it.

I don't understand why a completely objective measure doesn't see it the same way.

RPI sees Cinci as 20-9 and Tulsa as 20-6. That's 8 percentage points difference in winning percentage.

If Cinci had Tulsa's winning percentage (.769) against their current schedule, they'd be 26th in the RPI.

Edited to add: Tulsa's current SOS is 103. Cinci's current SOS is 69.
This post was edited on 2/28 1:55 PM by ctt8410

And since that is considered more indirectly, Cinci's opponents basically winning more games than Tulsa's opponents.

Depends on how you count them. If we consider SEOSU to be equivalent to the worst D1 team (Grambling), then TU's RPI would be 68 with a 20-7 record against a SOS of 129.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:
Where would we be if SEOSU counted?
Impossible to quantify, DII schools would have to be included in the DI RPI, and not enough of them play DI opponents to rank objectively.

TX

When Syracuse lost to a D-2 team a few years ago, the pundits said that was not important since it was even before Christmas and Syracuse is nothing like that now. Odd that the pundits want to make OUR early schedule the most important factor in the selection.

Originally posted by ctt8410:
Depends on how you count them. If we consider SEOSU to be equivalent to the worst D1 team (Grambling), then TU's RPI would be 68 with a 20-7 record against a SOS of 129.
Interesting. I'd think they would certainly be at least equivalent to a 200+ RPI loss.

So that is making a lot of the difference between human and computer. Makes sense!

Originally posted by I.I.:
When Syracuse lost to a D-2 team a few years ago, the pundits said that was not important since it was even before Christmas and Syracuse is nothing like that now. Odd that the pundits want to make OUR early schedule the most important factor in the selection.
That was an exhibition game. We played the closed-door scrimmage and thus were required to make SEOSU an official game. Like I said, there's pretty much no precedent for this situation.

Originally posted by I.I.:

Did you happen to see this from the other day?

As we all knew, the name on the jersey matters.

http://newsok.com/article/5397173

OSU and Creighton both lose by a point. With 4 straight losses and a 7-9 conference record, OSU is starting to look kinda bubbly.

Just gotta win. There are 20 teams right now that can't afford to stumble. Tulsa is 1 of several.

My eyes are on Texas, UCLA and Stanford. Pray to the Lord they all keep losing.

Go Penn St. Tied with Iowa with 6 minutes left. Iowa one of those bubble teams that is riding the coat tails of Wisconsin and the B1G because they're not very good but they won a lot of non-con games. I hate that conferences like the B1G get lots of credit for its middle being mediocre when only Wisconsin and MD are really any good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Everyone get your juju to espn2.

BYU is tied with Gonzaga at the half.

Gooooooo Zags!

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
Go Penn St. Tied with Iowa with 6 minutes left. Iowa one of those bubble teams that is riding the coat tails of Wisconsin and the B1G because they're not very good but they won a lot of non-con games. I hate that conferences like the B1G get lots of credit for its middle being mediocre when only Wisconsin and MD are really any good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Iowa, Purdue, Illinois are in a lot of brackets all are in the low 50's RPI.

GO TU!!!

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
I'll buy Purdue because they are decent. Illinois is not good. Iowa is not good.
Purdue is in because they are 11-4 and tied for third place in the B-10, and I'll give them credit for that, but for some reason Cincy and Temple were given at larges in the AAC when Tulsa was a full three and four games ahead in conference play.

Question: Are there any other major conferences( Top 10) in which an at large was given to a lower team in the conference over a team in that same conference that has a better record? I think Tulsa was unique in that sense.

Glad we are in for now.

GO TU!!!!

It will never not be weird watching Eric McClellan play for Gonzaga.

Got to give it up to Wojcik

E Mac and Clarkson were pretty damn talented. If he could just get out of their way.

GO TU!!!!

Originally posted by Tu Geo:

Got to give it up to Wojcik

E Mac and Clarkson were pretty damn talented. If he could just get out of their way.

GO TU!!!!
E Mac made a bad decision to leave here. His Vandy experience was bad & he gets very minimal game time @ Gonzaga. Hopefully his senior year will be better. From TU's perspective, we probably wouldn't have signed (one of) Shaq or Ray.
I would hate to not have both of those guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT