ADVERTISEMENT

10 years from now

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Where do we realistically see TU in football and basketball ? Will we still be relevant ? Or will the NIL and transfer portal officially ruin schools like us ?

Reactions: TulsaAM
TU will need to change. Cut some sports. Be at least equal to our conference members in how much and how to dish out NIL funds. A cap of NIL needs to be agreed to amongst the conference members. If not the product won't be worth watching. Start with our conference and may be others will follow. It's all about money sadly.

Reactions: TULSARISING
The opposite. The school needs to add low overhead equivalency sports that generate tuition revenue and attract high caliber students. Sports needs to be paying for itself and stop draining money from football.

Sounds like, Bring Back Baseball.

FBS will be segregated into two divisions ten years from now imo. Whether it’s two officially recognized divisions or two defacto divisions is unclear. Probably up to the legal hurdles. 50/50 at best the NCAA will govern the top division.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Bring On Triathlon, Bowling, and Women’s Lacrosse.
Bowling would be easy. We had men’s and women’s teams that weren’t supported by TU bowling against OSU, NE Ok, ECU - Ada and Oral Roberts in the mid to late 1970s.

Reactions: HuffyCane
FBS will be segregated into two divisions ten years from now imo. Whether it’s two officially recognized divisions or two defacto divisions is unclear. Probably up to the legal hurdles. 50/50 at best the NCAA will govern the top division.
NCAA governs down to at least D2. Are you thinking they would just govern that highest level?

Brad Carson has gone on record at least twice that I can remember saying that there will likely be a “super conference/league” with the top 30ish programs in the country that work outside of the ncaa.

NCAA governs down to at least D2. Are you thinking they would just govern that highest level?
Yes. I can see the top division forming its own governing association. There have been discussions about doing this very thing. I disagree with Brad on the size of the “super” division. Thirty isn’t enough imo. I see 50 or so schools in the top division. 30 might work in football but it won’t work in the other sports and the cast away schools will not be all that willing to help the 30. They need more and the Big10 and SEC has indicated as much.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Need to have NCAA sports which have the least overhead and the fewest players per team.
This policy is most definitely advantageous for us to follow with male sports. One more trend, that all this greed is costing many student athletes opportunities for scholarships. The whole affair is disgusting. It would be affecting female student athletes if it weren't for title IX.

This policy is most definitely advantageous for us to follow with male sports. One more trend, that all this greed is costing many student athletes opportunities for scholarships. The whole affair is disgusting. It would be affecting female student athletes if it weren't for title IX. They will probably will get rid of Title IX in this future super league of P2 pro sports. Waiting for all the legal battles over that.
Well, its federal law. There isnt much you can do to "get rid of" that. There have been some proposed work arounds, mostly dubious in nature. As a practical matter, the idea that University presidents would vote to work around Title IX seems like fantasy to me. FSU just won the national championship in Women's Soccer. That doesn't happen without football booster money. I dont see that program saying "Yeah, we are good with reducing our budget while the boys play football and pay male players $1 million or more." The idea that the league would be a separate entity from the NCAA is a no brainer. The idea that the teams would be separate from the schools, just using licensed names, images and stadiums, is probably a bridge too far for all of the P4 except maybe 5 or 6 schools. And if they have to cut women a portion of that money, in the ballpark of 50%, received from the league, that might not be worth it for a lot of them. On the other hand, at some point, the coordinated nature of these NIL payments is going to draw scrutiny. And headlines like: "Average QB costs $1 million. Best female soccer player in nation is worth $50,000." are going to start coming out. Schools are going to triangulate from this issue and it will be interesting how they do it.

Well, its federal law. There isnt much you can do to "get rid of" that. There have been some proposed work arounds, mostly dubious in nature. As a practical matter, the idea that University presidents would vote to work around Title IX seems like fantasy to me. FSU just won the national championship in Women's Soccer. That doesn't happen without football booster money. I dont see that program saying "Yeah, we are good with reducing our budget while the boys play football and pay male players $1 million or more." The idea that the league would be a separate entity from the NCAA is a no brainer. The idea that the teams would be separate from the schools, just using licensed names, images and stadiums, is probably a bridge too far for all of the P4 except maybe 5 or 6 schools. And if they have to cut women a portion of that money, in the ballpark of 50%, received from the league, that might not be worth it for a lot of them. On the other hand, at some point, the coordinated nature of these NIL payments is going to draw scrutiny. And headlines like: "Average QB costs $1 million. Best female soccer player in nation is worth $50,000." are going to start coming out. Schools are going to triangulate from this issue and it will be interesting how they do it.
You say that and yet we are hurtling toward a structure where these teams are only truly affiliated with their universities in name only. Once they separate and there is no true academic requirement, and these teams are actually a private "professional" league fully funded by ad and media revenue and there is no longer component of federal aid as part of the equation, Title IX goes away at least in terms of needing to equal football funding. Now you can reduce your budget by $10s of millions without football as part of the equation. And if they do a breakaway, I can't imagine they don't do football only. Football already isn't governed by the NCAA in terms of game rules, championship, etc. The only NCAA thing is athlete eligibility.

That really wasn't a serious comment. I took it off the post at the same time you were quoting it for that reason. Took more effort than I cared to expend, to make the satirical nature evident.

• Haha
Reactions: HuffyCane
You say that and yet we are hurtling toward a structure where these teams are only truly affiliated with their universities in name only. Once they separate and there is no true academic requirement, and these teams are actually a private "professional" league fully funded by ad and media revenue and there is no longer component of federal aid as part of the equation, Title IX goes away at least in terms of needing to equal football funding. Now you can reduce your budget by $10s of millions without football as part of the equation. And if they do a breakaway, I can't imagine they don't do football only. Football already isn't governed by the NCAA in terms of game rules, championship, etc. The only NCAA thing is athlete eligibility.
Athlete eligibility will become a joke from yesteryear, just like college sports.

Athlete eligibility will become a joke from yesteryear, just like college sports.
SMU will probably sue the NCAA and other entities for their woeful performance after the death penalty which likely excluded them from the Big XII conversation when everything they did 40 years ago is now 100% permitted.

There needs to a cap. Say, $50K.
That is more than enough for any college scholarship student to cover other expenses.
Way more than enough. If I had over $4150k a month to cover necessary expenses in college after room, board, books, tuition and tutoring was provided, most of that would have been spent on car payments and pleasure.

What NIL did was create a professional league without any of the governance of a professional league that ensures a quality product.

No checks or balances on trades, draft rights, contracts, salary caps, luxury taxes, franchise tags, compensation from contract sales, etc….

I believe we should zig where others zag. We should add lacrosse, beach volleyball, and hockey.
That’s not a zig. I say we add table tennis, fencing, e-sports, pickleball, drone racing, “extreme tag”, and jai alai (I hear it’s gonna make a comeback!)

Last edited:
During the height of Covid, the only competitive sport to watch on ESPN was cornhole. Those guys get more sponsors than fishermen and hunters combined.

Show Me The Money GIF

I believe we should zig where others zag. We should add lacrosse, beach volleyball, and hockey.
Hockey is expensive to compete in at the highest levels at if you're a sunbelt state like we are. OU and OSU have pretty good hockey programs. OU's has been around for more than 20 years at the club level and both compete in a sanctioned body for college hockey that's not the NCAA. BUT, there's also a chance for smaller schools to compete in D1 in NCAA hockey if they build it right. Union College (Albany) has won a national championship in the last 20 years. Quinnipiac in CT won last year's national championship over Minnesota. However, there is a danger brewing as all the B1G teams add hockey teams. You always had Michigan and Michigan St, Wisconsin and Minnesota...but now Ohio State and Penn State have jumped in, Notre Dame is in there too. As a matter of fact, a lot of Minnesota fans lamented when the B1G sponsored hockey as a conference sport because it essentially ruined one of the best rivalries in sports with North Dakota and Minnesota who would play 4 conference games a year as a home and home and they usually scheduled an early game that was non-conference.

And still one of the absolute best sporting events you can attend is the Beanpot in Boston on the 1st and 2nd Mondays in February.

Back to the point...you can be successful as a southern state in hockey you just need to invest heavily. Not having your own arena hurts but I'm sure TU could work something out with the fairgrounds or BOK...but then there's practice as well. Arizona State recently added a team and they're ok. Alabama-Hunstville used to be the lone unicorn in the NCAA as being a southern school in D1. They were decent back in the day and then dropped their program down but I believe they're back in D1. At one point there was only about 50 teams competing in NCAA D1 and almost all were New England, a few Adirondack schools in NY and the Ivy's, and then your Michigan, Minnesota, and upper midwest schools. I watched BU lose a 4 OT thriller to Northern Michigan back in 1991 in the Frozen Four....and then get absolutely dismantled by Lake Superior State 3 years later (all in St. Paul). So little schools can win...have to get the right coach and recruit. And actually there's a good high school hockey scene in St. Louis so there is a place to start recruiting.

During the height of Covid, the only competitive sport to watch on ESPN was cornhole. Those guys get more sponsors than fishermen and hunters combined.
I actually watched a few holes of the PDGA Championship the other day (Pro Disc Golf Association). I used to play a lot but was never able to unhinge my damn shoulders like these guys can.

Women's wrestling is growing at the secondary school level. If TU added it now we could be a major competitor at the college level.
The Union girls' wrestling team just went to Ohio for a big wrestling meet and brought home 2 golds and some other hardware. I believe they've won the last 2 state championships. Union also built a wrestling tank as part of the new football stadium complex and from all accounts it is pretty freaking awesome. I saw the strength and conditioning facility they built down below the stadium as well and it probably rivals TUs in terms of size and quality.

Um, no. It’s not close except maybe their concept of having multiple sports lifting at once is different than TU. Our facility is built to meet the needs of football, not the track and softball teams. I wouldn’t trade the new TU weight room for most of the AAC’s facilities.

Union has a speed training and plyometric area integrated into the weight room but to me that sounds and looks dangerous if other kids are lifting.

Also, stop grading our facilities below a local high school the week before signing day. It’s not just wrong, it’s ill advised.

Women's wrestling is growing at the secondary school level. If TU added it now we could be a major competitor at the college level.
President Carson has voiced his support in the past to add this sport. It takes new facilities or a significant disruption to current use. We could add triathlon tomorrow with a pool use agreement and existing space.

Um, no. It’s not close except maybe their concept of having multiple sports lifting at once is different than TU. Our facility is built to meet the needs of football, not the track and softball teams. I wouldn’t trade the new TU weight room for most of the AAC’s facilities.

Union has a speed training and plyometric area integrated into the weight room but to me that sounds and looks dangerous if other kids are lifting.

Also, stop grading our facilities below a local high school the week before signing day. It’s not just wrong, it’s ill advised.
I didn't say they were below, I was saying HS are elevating their facilities to close to college facilities in terms of size and variability to what S&C drills you can do in the facilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT