ADVERTISEMENT

Zaven Collins named to 2018 Freshman All-America Team

There are talented players in the small schools just need to find them and evaluate their skills.

I don't think it had anything to do with him going to a small school. I think a lot of coaches get pigeon-holed into evaluating a player in the position they see them playing at the small school (I said a lot, not all). One of the things the last few coaches have been able to do for TU (Kragthorpe through Monty) is find good players and envision where they are best suited to play. Zaven was playing QB and Safety at Hominy. Someone from TU obviously said this kid can be a weak side LB and pass rush if needed or cover a RB. That's where Zaven is better than average is in his cover skills as a LB. Graham and Malzahn saw Charles Clay as an HB and not necessarily as a full-time TB and not as the OLB most schools recruited him to be. Chris Chamberlain was a WC QB who TU put at MLB=NFL.

BTW, you want to start comparing Zaven to NFL players...James Harrison. I don't think he's done putting on weight and he certainly has a ton of coverage skills.

Can't wait for our newly minted Fr. All-American to hook up with his pals Edmiston & Cannon(backed up by Revels,Reeves,Burnett, etc.) to cause some real damage next season.
It’s kinda scary how good the linebacker position is top to bottom right now. We haven’t even seen what kind of potential someone like Justin Wright has. Or of course Yohance Burnett. The roof is the ceiling!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT